E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A124 e220 RHD
Indium or Tenorite grey for w212

Im in the market for w212. I am a fan of E-class and always choose to buy silver Mercedes due to the easy maintainance and silver always look good after 8 years of normal use of the car. However, this time I would like to try something difference. I like both Indium grey and Tenorite grey on w212 Avantgarde. Hence, I am seeking opinion of members of this forum. Which is the best for Avantgarde w212 (non AMG)? And which is the best for maintianance and hide unavoidable scratch better? These two colors are new in Thailand so I can't find the car that is over 7 years to compare the color in Thailand. Your opinion will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Koo

Last edited by kookatt; 03-07-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Misspell the title
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 601 Likes on 453 Posts
W212 FL
I would choose the darker color . I think you refer to iridium vs tenorite
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Tenorite
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 AM

A124 e220 RHD
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I would choose the darker color . I think you refer to iridium vs tenorite
I really mean Indium Grey. Quite like this colour too
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Indium Grey is very drab and unpopular, sort of a greenish grey/brown. It is being discontinued; you won't see it on the facelift W/S212.

Edit: Damn MBWorld and the 800x600 maximum size.

Top row: Palladium 792, Indium 963, Diamond White 799
Bottom row: Iridium 775, Tenorite (Steel) 755, Calcite (Arctic) White 650

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 03-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Things are sorted out thanks to your replies , thanks

Well, Tenorite is my choice then . They call it as steel grey too

What I call it silver grey is Indium then

Here, I am uploading some images for you to judge the best
Attached Thumbnails Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-indium-w212.jpg   Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-palladium-w212.jpg   Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-tenorite-w-e212.jpg  

Last edited by BenzV12; 03-07-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: images added
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Things are sorted out thanks to your replies , thanks

Well, Tenorite is my choice then . They call it as steel grey too

What I call it silver grey is Indium then

Here, I am uploading some images for you to judge the best
That first picture is not Indium, it is Iridium Silver.

Indium Gray is a deep gray but with an organic tone to it, sort of like a bronze pewter. IT IS GORGEOUS and very sporty with a black interior. I get TONS of complements on it, and I hardly ever see them on the road. I have YET to see my twin of Indium/Black/Sport. People go out of their way to compliment me on my car.

I would doubt it's being discontinued due to a lack of demand from consumers. It's due to a lack of demand from dealers. When they order spec they order safe so it's black, silver or white. Hence, that's what we see most comonly on the road. Yawn.

Last edited by fourcircle; 03-07-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM

A124 e220 RHD
Originally Posted by fourcircle

Indium Gray is a deep gray but with an organic tone to it, sort of like a bronze pewter. IT IS GORGEOUS and very sporty with a black interior. I get TONS of complements on it, and I hardly ever see them on the road. I have YET to see my twin of Indium/Black/Sport. People go out of their way to compliment me on my car.

I would doubt it's being discontinued due to a lack of demand from consumers. It's due to a lack of demand from dealers. When they order spec they order safe so it's black, silver or white. Hence, that's what we see most comonly on the road. Yawn.
Thanks for your opinion. I guess that you have Indium grey then. What is your experience on this color regarding the easiness of cleaning.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 PM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by kookatt
Thanks for your opinion. I guess that you have Indium grey then. What is your experience on this color regarding the easiness of cleaning.
It's an easy color to maintain. It's not near as dark as black which shows everything, including swirls and scratches. It's actually pretty good at hiding dirt. It is, afterall, in the same tone family as soil, I suppose.

Not sure of your climate, but it's very hot and humid where I live and this car doesn't get hot at all.

What I particularly like is how the black interior goes with the exterior. There's lots of black in the paint color, so it's a perfect match. Plus, I haven't been a fan of the two tone interiors (a bit fadish IMO), but the black interior is all black, including the headliner. It makes for a very beautiful color combo that is easy to maintain, is unique, and is very sporty yet classy.

Will try to upload a photo for you. Stand by.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

A124 e220 RHD
It's an easy color to maintain. It's not near as dark as black which shows everything, including swirls and scratches. It's actually pretty good at hiding dirt. It is, afterall, in the same tone family as soil, I suppose.

Not sure of your climate, but it's very hot and humid where I live and this car doesn't get hot at all.

What I particularly like is how the black interior goes with the exterior. There's lots of black in the paint color, so it's a perfect match. Plus, I haven't been a fan of the two tone interiors (a bit fadish IMO), but the black interior is all black, including the headliner. It makes for a very beautiful color combo that is easy to maintain, is unique, and is very sporty yet classy.

Will try to upload a photo for you. Stand by.
I think we actually have the same taste. I will go for black interior as well. Love to see the picture of your car
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM

2011 E-350
OK, here we go. You will notice that the tone of the car varies in different light. In very bright light, the bronze metal flake comes to life giving the car a more brown/bronze look. In low light, the gray takes over and it's more the gray. Notice in the last photo how the car is more bronze in the back (exposed to sun) and gray up front (in shade).

The car is really beautiful in all light conditions. Sun - alive and brilliant. Rain - very steely and sleek. The chrome sets off very nicely and the black tires, interior, rubber trim and bumber pieces really complement it well.

Interestingly, Indium is listed on the table of periodic elements. That may be why I have always described the color as somewhat earthy or organic like. I just gotta tell ya, I've had the car almost 2 years now and every time I see it I think "Wow, that's a reallllly beautiful car".

Lay eyes on one, especially with a black interior, before you buy. You won't regret it!
Attached Thumbnails Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-dsc00043.jpg   Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-dsc00046.jpg   Indium or Tenorite grey foe w212-dsc00048.jpg  

Last edited by fourcircle; 03-07-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM

A124 e220 RHD
OK, here we go. You will notice that the tone of the car varies in different light. In very bright light, the bronze metal flake comes to life giving the car a more brown/bronze look. In low light, the gray takes over and it's more the gray. Notice in the last photo how the car is more bronze in the back (exposed to sun) and gray up front (in shade).

The car is really beautiful in all light conditions. Sun - alive and brilliant. Rain - very steely and sleek. The chrome sets off very nicely and the black tires, interior, rubber trim and bumber pieces really complement it well.

Interestingly, Indium is listed on the table of periodic elements. That may be why I have always described the color as somewhat earthy or organic like. I just gotta tell ya, I've had the car almost 2 years now and every time I see it I think "Wow, that's a reallllly beautiful car".

Lay eyes on one, especially with a black interior, before you buy. You won't regret it!
Haven't yet seen one in Thailand though. It is really a beut. I am intend to get the same wheel as you too. Thank you again for all your help
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM

2011 E-350
Suggest you search "Indium Gray E350" on Google or Bing, then click "images". There's lots of good pictures showing the cars in various light conditions.

I think if you order one, resist the temptation to order the tan interior. That would tend to bring out the brown in the paint, and look too cookie cutter, hereas the black brings out the gray and depth of the color. Looks more "german luxury" in the black tone IMO.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL

Thanks for correction . I like Indium gray and black interiors too . Iridium is cool too and only light color I like and does look very nice on MB than it does on other cars
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I have an indium grey e550 and absolutely love the color. It was my first choice when I purchased the car over a year ago. It is much less popular than the more typical silver and grey colors. I suspect it is because it is neither really grey or silver, two of the knee jerk finishes a lot of people want, but more of a gun metal color. I remember first seeing the color 7-8 years ago and always wanted it. It will not hide the dirt as well as silver, that's the champ in that regard, but not too bad. I find the color very rich as opposed to the drab that someone above used to describe it. Color is a personal thing so go with what makes you happy. There are colors that go too far off the reservation that could affect resale but I wouldn't put Indium grey in that category(I might put greens and browns there). Regards. Ned.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
My car is Indium Grey and my wife and I really like it. The colour looks different at various times of the day. Even better it is very unique - I have not seen another Benz of this colour on the road.