E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New MB Member's Perspective On The E350 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Sport
New MB Member's Perspective On The E350 Sport

I lease new cars about every 24-30 month. I had been with Infiniti for the past ten years in four different models ('02 G35 Sedan, '04 G35 Coupe, '07 M45 Sedan, '09 G37 Couple). Had my eye on the E350 for a while and was debating between this and the Infiniti M Sport. Decided to go for the 2012 E350 Sport with Premium 1 (Blk/Blk with Chrome Wheels) and am very happy. The lines are great and it has a nice tight ride, yet smooth and not too stiff. Definitely one of the top sedans in this price range.

The Infiniti's have been great cars and are on the cutting edge of technology and styling. However, ease of ride and the overall size of the interior were of top priority for this transaction. MB did a great job designing the layout of the interior and trunk space. Something that helps set it apart from others in its class.

Although I really have no complaints with the E350 other than the COMAND system seems like a work in progress and is lacking in some areas, some things I'd like to see MB add as standard in this class for next year are:

-Push start ignition
-One touch seat memory
-Motorized mirrors
-Ventilated seats
-Black Ash wood trim more readily available
-Automatic trunk closure
-Possibly integrate some of the features Infiniti and other luxury autos have with their navigation systems (this is the one area MB seems a little behind the curve on).

These features are fairly inexpensive for mass production and could easily be included as standard at the entry level E350 or all inclusive of the Premium 1 package. No real need to put them in a level 2 package. Many of the lesser priced mid-level autos have these.

Overall I think this is a great car and am really happy I chose the E350. Hoping to be with MB for a long time to come.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
congrats on your new ride and i agree w/you but i guess that sets them apart w/other japanese companies as most of the european automakers are more than happy to throw in something suppose to be standard as options.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 464 Posts
W212 FL
Thanks for your review on the W212 . I like these cars a lot and therefore I did order one of these too

Exterior , interior , seats are awesome
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I personally like the Options. Gives you a reason to get something "special" if you pay up for it, otherwise all the E's would be the same, and there would be no fun when seeing what others have, etc. As it is, MBUSA keeps the styling packages too homogenous here, I'd love to see more styling variations that we can pay up for (for example, AMG Sport Package used to be a $5+K Option, I wish it still was an Option we have to pay for).

The cars are engineered incredibly, and it features a Safety cell, and body structure so stiff and advanced, we probably won't see the likes of Infiniti's models catch up for a while (or, at least until M-B starts sharing their platforms with them.... which unfortunately might happen at some point). Therefore, the core of the car, frills aside, is a bargain at $50K. Obviously, an E-Class with some of the Optional equipment, would be a $60K standard car. M-B has a lower profit margin on their cars than BMW and Audi do, meaning even without those frills, at the E's entry price, it costs them more to make it than it costs BMW/Audi to make the 5-Series/A6. It's just that M-B seems to put that money "underneath" the car, where it really matters.

Anyway, nice review, and glad you dig the ride.

Last edited by K-A; 03-13-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
i agree w/you, k-a. i've only seen a luxury probably less than five times on the street in the past few years. everybody has sport pkg and you can't even tell it's a 350 or a 550 .
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i agree w/you, k-a. i've only seen a luxury probably less than five times on the street in the past few years. everybody has sport pkg and you can't even tell it's a 350 or a 550 .
The luxury is the new sport.

Regards,
Don
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by dfordham
The luxury is the new sport.

Regards,
Don
no kidding, huh? i think they are even rarer than a sls .
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
SPOT ON with the last few comments!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E-350
Yes, I agree! That's another reason for individualizing your "E." There is no question that mine is "sportier" looking than most E Class sedans on the road today. I realize that my mods are a bit much for most MB enthusiasts. But I like it a lot!

Yesterday, while pumping gas at my local BP, another Mercedes pulled into the pump next to me. It was a quartz blue E550 sport sedan. He started pumping gas and then started talking to me about my car. He asked if I special ordered it. He said he had never seen one like it before. I told him no, I just added a few mods and accessories. After we both finished pumping gas, he asked if he could take a few pictures to show his wife. I said sure. He said if I can get my wife to agree, I would like to do some of the same mods. I told him I was impressed that he liked it so much. I gave him my number and told hm to call me if he had any questions. He is the third stranger who has asked to take pictures since I added the mods, in the last two months.

That happens all the time with the Vette, and used to happen frequently with the H3, but I never expected it to happen with the Mercedes. After all, all I have done with the Mercedes is add a few well placed pieces of chrome and the caliper covers. I do love it when another Mercedes owner takes the time to recognize mine as being unique. It doesn''t matter to me if it is good, bad or indifferent. I like unique!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 464 Posts
W212 FL
I knew your car was so attractive CorvetteOJ

That guy surely has some tastes too

If he calls you , do not forget to talk about this forum