"C" Class vs. 3 series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
"C" Class vs. 3 series

Slightly off topic, but Consumer Reports just released test reports on 2012 C Class and BMW 3 series. C got 85 points and 3 got 73. They tested the Luxury version of the C so that boosted points in the ride category. Most significant to me was their dissatisfaction with the start/stop feature of the 3 series engine. MB is coming out with this also and I wouldn't have it.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
I am mostly turning it off but I can say that ECO button aka start / stop feature is very neat . You don't feel any jerks , jolts either . Just off the brake pedal , it starts w/o any drama . MB did even put a secondary battery to feed ECO system sufficiently
Some test mags reviewed that VW's system was terrible unlike MB's
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Is the secondary battery for the starter or to run the electronics and AC when you are stopped at a light? If you are stopped for more than 5 minutes or so does the engine kick in so you don't drain the battery?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by El Cid
Slightly off topic, but Consumer Reports just released test reports on 2012 C Class and BMW 3 series. C got 85 points and 3 got 73. They tested the Luxury version of the C so that boosted points in the ride category. Most significant to me was their dissatisfaction with the start/stop feature of the 3 series engine. MB is coming out with this also and I wouldn't have it.
Not sure if we're looking at the same page, but the CR website lists the 328i sedan as an "86."

The few things I've read about MB's stop/start is that it's pretty seamless.

Rather saddened to hear that the C250 Luxury has a smoother ride (w/o much of a loss of handling) and possibly heavier steering than the sport model, since those are my two main complaints about my C250 Sport (::sigh:. But there aren't many Luxury models to choose from in LA....
Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I've driven both recently, and my thoughts in a nutshell:

C250: Very refined and classy choice now as the facelift (pre-facelift felt a bit "immature" for M-B standards due to the horrendous excuse for an interior), it feels more like an M-B should in comparison to the 3. Also, I think its styling is still superior to the F30 3-Series, especially with the 3's fugly/weird front ends wedged onto an otherwise smooth and classic body. The C250 however is a DOG. I'm not a power junkie in the least, my E350 feels plenty quick to me, but I need effortlessness, especially from a luxury car, and IMO the C250 isn't effortless. You need to juice it to get going, and even then, you just feel it lagging. Plus, the 4-cylinder motor sounds terrible when you can actually hear it (all 4's do to me though, the D/I tapping doesn't help.... sounds like a baby Tractor).

328i: Much more exciting, precise, more like a BMW should feel (about face after a super soft and un-BMW-like 5-Series). The 4-banger sounds equally unappealing at idle (when you can hear it), but it sure doesn't drive like a 4-banger should. It's torquey, riveting even, and has more than enough effortless power. The handling is wonderful, and the whole experience is a bit less refined than the C, less "luxury", but more "Sport" (the way it should be re: M-B VS BMW). The interior is okay, but kind of cheesy, especially the "Modern Trim" with that funky and unattractive wood material.

The 3's Stop/Start was indeed TERRIBLE to me. When I was really quick with the pedal on takeoff, the Start couldn't react as quickly as my foot, therefore the car sputtered and conked around, sounded like it was stalling out (it was actually trying to turn on in time).
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
I've driven both recently, and my thoughts in a nutshell:

C250: Very refined and classy choice now as the facelift (pre-facelift felt a bit "immature" for M-B standards due to the horrendous excuse for an interior), it feels more like an M-B should in comparison to the 3. Also, I think its styling is still superior to the F30 3-Series, especially with the 3's fugly/weird front ends wedged onto an otherwise smooth and classic body. The C250 however is a DOG. I'm not a power junkie in the least, my E350 feels plenty quick to me, but I need effortlessness, especially from a luxury car, and IMO the C250 isn't effortless. You need to juice it to get going, and even then, you just feel it lagging. Plus, the 4-cylinder motor sounds terrible when you can actually hear it (all 4's do to me though, the D/I tapping doesn't help.... sounds like a baby Tractor).
I won't argue about the lack of power (which I think is actually more attributable to the shift points under "E" mode for the transmission; this is the first MB I've drive where there's a noticeable difference between "E" and "S"), but I think the 4-cyl itself is remarkably refined for such a small engine. You should try it again after it's had a chance to warm up. The ticking (mainly) goes away, and the exhaust note is surprisingly enjoyable (and sounds way better than any mainstream MB V-6 from the last 10 yrs or so).

The 3's Stop/Start was indeed TERRIBLE to me. When I was really quick with the pedal on takeoff, the Start couldn't react as quickly as my foot, therefore the car sputtered and conked around, sounded like it was stalling out (it was actually trying to turn on in time).
I think the last-gen 328i was an amazing car to drive, but I'll never own a BMW (the 328i was my parents' car). Between the unreliable electronics (which once caused the driver's window to open on its own), run-flat tires, and crap ergonomics (the radio readout on our non-I-Drive equipped car was unintelligible), the detent-less turn signal, and the ridiculous key-in-ignition-push-start procedure, I just don't think BTWs are as well sorted out as overall cars as MBs are.

Numerous auto mags have also commented that the BMW stop/start system has actually failed on them during preview drives, which is pretty pathetic (I don't think car mags don't often comment on these sorts of issues in preview drives, so it must've been pretty bad). I've also noticed that some reviews are also only now commenting on the unacceptably hard ride of previous-gen Sports-package models, since the new model apparently has a softer ride.... Interesting. Don't trust BMW reliability at all....

Last edited by alsyli; 06-05-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
All the auto rags are united in the praise for the 328i...

Motor Trend 8 car comparo that the 328 easily won. The MB 250 came in third .

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/

Road & Track: 2 cars show down with 328i first and 250 second

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...enz-c250-sport

Car & Driver: 5 car comparo, 328i finished first and the 250 was 4th.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

Last edited by BenzE350; 06-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The new 3-Series is finally a proper precision BMW again and a marvel. I was VERY impressed. I'm not in love with the styling, though it's alright.... Maybe my biggest complaint.

However, Auto Rags are irrelevant unless talking about full fledged Sports Cars, as they're completely one track minded (sporting dynamics only).
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 BT, E320, 528i
El Cid
C class has come a long way. Unless you drive it, you won't know. I agree with the report.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Nice review. It may be my next car

Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
I had my recent loaner car comparison after taking E350 BTC for dash rattle issue and my wife's 530i for recall

Notes on new 328i:
Start stop is OK takes a bit to get used to. Steering jerked a bit if your steering is at an angle. Engine is super smooth and very punchy. Interior room improved with less shoulder hump for the rear seats. Interior is typical base BMW plastic. Very noticeable difference is the weight of the door. If you slam the doors on the new 3 and you'll be reminded of a Japanese car. As with any rental "hoon-ablity" the 328i is very burn out happy.

Notes on new C250:
Silky smooth 4 pot turbo engine with diesel like torque. Much improved from the noisy 1.8 supercharged days on the old C230. Don't expect to beat anyone at the stoplights. The E-class liked interior is nicely executed. Steering is a bit heavier but still lacks feedback as with most Mercedes. 245/40/R17 tires are meaty and makes mountain carving a joy (downhill only)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Cool Car mags are biased

However, Auto Rags are irrelevant unless talking about full fledged Sports Cars, as they're completely one track minded (sporting dynamics only).[/quote]
Agree. I used to subscribe to all the ones cited in earlier post, but no longer. They are focused on cars that cost near $100,000 and are primarily an engine, transmission, four wheels and a steering wheel. Throw in a few economy cars and others periodically just to claim they are not biased, but even then rate car that goes fastest the highest. Occasionally comment on interiors, ride, etc. almost as an after thought.
They also have a bias toward Porsche, Corvette and BMW.
If you read CR's monthly auto reviews, you might be surprised that they also evaluate sporting dynamics. However, they evaluate and report on all aspects of the cars.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by El Cid
However, Auto Rags are irrelevant unless talking about full fledged Sports Cars, as they're completely one track minded (sporting dynamics only).
Agree. I used to subscribe to all the ones cited in earlier post, but no longer. They are focused on cars that cost near $100,000 and are primarily an engine, transmission, four wheels and a steering wheel. Throw in a few economy cars and others periodically just to claim they are not biased, but even then rate car that goes fastest the highest. Occasionally comment on interiors, ride, etc. almost as an after thought.
They also have a bias toward Porsche, Corvette and BMW.
If you read CR's monthly auto reviews, you might be surprised that they also evaluate sporting dynamics. However, they evaluate and report on all aspects of the cars.[/QUOTE]

+1

The only show/mag I subscribe too is "Top Gear"/UK....
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
So I drove a C250 Lux, C3004matic Sport and E3504matic Sport.
Really liked the look of the C250 Luxury. Completely satisfied with the interior relative to the E350.

While the C250 engine was ok from a power / refinement standpoint. The C300 motor really makes the car a Mercedes.

On the subject of motors I thought while lacking in power and efficiency relative to the E350 it when about it's business in a less intrusive way in that the 350 motor makes more noise when accelerating.

I found the E3504matic steering to be a little strange from the weighting standpoint it was appropriately heavy while underway but unnaturally light when I rocked the wheel back and forth at the stop light.

For me the C3004matic is just right except for the fuel mileage.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
First time I can agree with CR, C is a clear winner. I can also admit that C is more common now in my area than 3 series, and it is damn so good looking and nimble car. I feel so jealous to C owners. But alas I can't buy it for myself, too old for it.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by Dema
First time I can agree with CR, C is a clear winner. I can also admit that C is more common now in my area than 3 series, and it is damn so good looking and nimble car. I feel so jealous to C owners. But alas I can't buy it for myself, too old for it.
Don't think like this then I should be too young to be own an S Class . I drvie my dad's Caddy mostly assumed for age +50 lol lol Whatever makes you happy pick it up , I went for W212 because it's the most favorable design for me .If not I would choose either A207 or W204
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Dema
Uh, as I tried to point in my first post, CR *didn't* declare the C the best car in its class or superior to the 3-series....
Old 06-12-2012, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Thanks for clarification, otherwise I would worry about dramatic changes of CR and even starting reading it.