E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New Owner few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S-450
New Owner few questions

Hi all, I leased a 2012 E-350 sport with the P1 package. I am completly new to the luxury car scene and absolutely love this car. I am amazed at all of the different features and I don't think I even know half of them yet. I wanted to know what are some features that I might not know that you all like. I also had a question when I put the car in reverse to back out of my driveway and then put it in D to start driving down the road I feel a clunk, clunk, clunk in the gas pedal real quick as soon as I start rolling forward, then it is gone and everything is normal. Is that normal or could there be something wrong?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by Mustangbru8
Hi all, I leased a 2012 E-350 sport with the P1 package. I am completly new to the luxury car scene and absolutely love this car. I am amazed at all of the different features and I don't think I even know half of them yet. I wanted to know what are some features that I might not know that you all like. I also had a question when I put the car in reverse to back out of my driveway and then put it in D to start driving down the road I feel a clunk, clunk, clunk in the gas pedal real quick as soon as I start rolling forward, then it is gone and everything is normal. Is that normal or could there be something wrong?
Do you give it a moment to engage?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

2018 S-450
Yes I do. I put it in drive when I am stopped wait a few seconds, take my foot off the break start rolling forward then when I touch the gas it clunks 3 times. It's not loud I mainly just feel it in the pedal.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Yes I do. I put it in drive when I am stopped wait a few seconds, take my foot off the break start rolling forward then when I touch the gas it clunks 3 times. It's not loud I mainly just feel it in the pedal.
Mine is pretty stable. I would have it looked at..
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
I love the 'hold' feature, when stopped, and holding down the brake, pump it once and the word "HOLD" should appear on the display, the car will hold itself in position while waiting at the light so you dont have to keep your foot on the brake, just press the gas when you want to go and it takes off. Very handy at long lights. I also love the send2benz feature of mbrace, lets you pull up a location on your phone and send it to your cars GPS when you get in. As for the clunking...id have it looked at
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM

2018 S-450
That hold feature sounds pretty cool, I didn't know anything about it, I will try it later. The clunking I just went out and tried to make it do it, it did it a little on the first one (transmission was cold) and I tried to make it do it after that and couldn't get it to do it. I was hoping to not have to bring it back to the dealer, my dealer is about 45 minutes away.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,836 Posts
2012 CLS63
hmmmm....

welcome duder.....

it always helps to RTFM too......(I love using that)

I learned a ton from that and the forum too.......
it was the same for me when I got my car....the first time I'd ever had an auto so nice....

you'll love it more and more

good luck
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM

2018 S-450
I have read a lot so far in the manual and I can't believe how much this car does. Some of the options I don't have but it is still crazy.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
welcome and congrats, mustangbru8 ! here are a few of many threads that you might want to take a look as a new member and a new owner. enjoy and don't come after me if you need new glasses after all these readings .

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...esomeness.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ost-least.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ture-w212.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...w-e-class.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...now-about.html
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 446 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
welcome and congrats, mustangbru8 ! here are a few of many threads that you might want to take a look as a new member and a new owner. enjoy and don't come after me if you need new glasses after all these readings .

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...esomeness.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ost-least.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ture-w212.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...w-e-class.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...now-about.html
You are a great person indeed and like your sense of humor

Well, as I said before, W212 Forums need sticky topics to house all the useful topics in one place
Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by BenzV12
You are a great person indeed and like your sense of humor

Well, as I said before, W212 Forums need sticky topics to house all the useful topics in one place
thank you for your compliments, buddy ! i'm not knowledgeable like most of the members here. just trying to help the new members here...only when they ask nicely .
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM

2018 S-450
I have been doing tons of reading here and in the manual and I keep getting different info on what headlights I have. It sounds like you need P2 to have HID headlights but I read another post that said all E's after a certain build date in 2010 have HID head lights. What headlights do I have?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I read another post that said all E's after a certain build date in 2010 have HID head lights. What headlights do I have?
Bad information. It's part of P2 package in the US.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
I have been doing tons of reading here and in the manual and I keep getting different info on what headlights I have. It sounds like you need P2 to have HID headlights but I read another post that said all E's after a certain build date in 2010 have HID head lights. What headlights do I have?
check out this thread and see post #2 .

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...eadlights.html
Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM

E350
I also had a question when I put the car in reverse to back out of my driveway and then put it in D to start driving down the road I feel a clunk, clunk, clunk in the gas pedal real quick as soon as I start rolling forward, then it is gone and everything is normal. Is that normal or could there be something wrong?
Unfortunately, the E350 transmission delays and then surges forward when shifting from R to D (like backing out of a driveway). This board has had several threads on this. Gotta take the bad with the good on this transmission.

However, the "clunk, clunk" does not sound normal?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I think the hold feature only works on inclines. Used to be call Hill Holder when introduced back in the 1950's (maybe before).
Congrats on the car.
I made all kind of notes and highlights in my manuals when I got my car. I also wrote down some quick notes on how to do certain things until I got used to them. EX. Music Register, Navigation, Voice controls, etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by El Cid
I think the hold feature only works on inclines. Used to be call Hill Holder when introduced back in the 1950's (maybe before).
Congrats on the car.
I made all kind of notes and highlights in my manuals when I got my car. I also wrote down some quick notes on how to do certain things until I got used to them. EX. Music Register, Navigation, Voice controls, etc.
The Hill Hold is still there, but the HOLD function is a totally separate function and works whether stopped on a hill or not.

Regards,
Don
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM

2018 S-450
Thanks guys for all the info. I have been using the hold function and it is awesome. The transmission is a little different now. It goes in drive I start coasting forward and start applying the gas then after I get to about 3-4 miles an hour and it does a quick vibration in the gas pedal that lasts a second or two and almost always stops right when the doors auto lock. My dealer said to keep them posted they haven't heard of this before and it doesn't sound like it is too bad.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2012 e350 wagon
does it sound / feel like running over a coke can? It may be the ABS priming...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Thanks guys for all the info. I have been using the hold function and it is awesome. The transmission is a little different now. It goes in drive I start coasting forward and start applying the gas then after I get to about 3-4 miles an hour and it does a quick vibration in the gas pedal that lasts a second or two and almost always stops right when the doors auto lock. My dealer said to keep them posted they haven't heard of this before and it doesn't sound like it is too bad.
If it's repeatable then I'd bring it to the dealer and have them look into it and find what's at fault. I don't know why the 550 would be any different but I have never felt/sensed anything as you have described. And, if I did, I'd be at the dealer wanting it to get fixed. If they tell you it's normal, then have them take you for a spin in another 350 so they can show you how normal it is.
Regarding what's in your vehicle, I can run a "data card" on your vehicle configuration based on how it came from the factory. If interested, PM me your VIN - assuming your car is US spec.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM

c32
to OP, did u figure out the issue? i just got my 2013 off the lot last week and i am experiencing the same problem...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM

2018 S-450
I saw my salesman a couple weeks after and asked him and he said all of them do it including his and that it is totally normal and that most people never even notice it. I guess I am used to it now too and forgot about it until I just saw this thread.