E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dead Car. In Park. Need a Tow!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Dead Car. In Park. Need a Tow!!!

So, the battery completely craps out -- no power at all available. The car is in Park. You need a tow, which means a pull up on a flat bed (hopefully).

How do you get the car out of Park so the guy can pull it up without two long black marks on your drive and flat spots on the rear wheels? And maybe a broken Park pawl?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by Live Oak
So, the battery completely craps out -- no power at all available. The car is in Park. You need a tow, which means a pull up on a flat bed (hopefully).

How do you get the car out of Park so the guy can pull it up without two long black marks on your drive and flat spots on the rear wheels? And maybe a broken Park pawl?
Sorry this happened. How old is the battery? I carry a battery charger in my trunk. It is a large recharagable battery that jumps and gives recharges some of the battery. Towing seems unneccesary. Road side service will bring a new battery and replace it right there.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM

E550
Originally Posted by bigh123
Sorry this happened. How old is the battery? I carry a battery charger in my trunk. It is a large recharagable battery that jumps and gives recharges some of the battery. Towing seems unneccesary. Road side service will bring a new battery and replace it right there.
While my battery has completely failed (at 18 months), this scenario is hypothetical. Trying to understand options. I won't carry batteries in the trunk.

Assume the failure is in Hotrock, AZ, and the only service available is "Mumbo's Carburetor Fixing and Towing." Is there a way to get the damn thing out of Park without power?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 • 2016 Tesla Model S 75D
Jumper cables?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM

'01 A6 2.7TQM
While my battery has completely failed (at 18 months), this scenario is hypothetical. Trying to understand options.
Being just the kind of geek who reads the manual for a car he doesn't (yet?) own.... I saw this the other day and found it again - page 342 lower left corner:

Code:
If the battery is defective, the automatic transmission will be locked in position P. To shift the automatic transmission to position N, you must provide power to the vehicle's electrical system in the same way as when
jump-starting (page 338).

So yes, the previous poster nailed it - connect jumper cables, shift to N, proceed with towing adventure

Richard
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
great job, richard! you are not only learning after you've joined this forum for just a few days but you are helping as well. well done !
Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
great job, richard! you are not only learning after you've joined this forum for just a few days but you are helping as well. well done !
+1 , great job

Sorry to hear this happened ,btw your car's battery is dead but there should a button onto the pano roof panel about towing alarm . I doubt it would go off but still make sure it doesn't come on during towing procedure
Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM

'01 A6 2.7TQM
I can't take much credit - I just happened to have RTFM recently enough that it was somewhere near the top of my aging memory pile
Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Live Oak:

Don't know if it's too late or not, but if you're still stuck all you should have to do is call the dealer or 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES. They will (or at least SHOULD) dispatch a service vehicle with a new battery. It can be installed on the spot. Just insist they bring out a new battery this time. I would still have the car checked over when you are operational again.

The only hassle you should have is pro-rating the value of the dead battery.

OTOH, if you don't wish another OEM battery installed, as some have suggested, they should come out, give you a jump and get you moving so you can go where you want to get a new battery.

I speak from personal experience here. That's exactly what Roadside Assistance did for me when my battery died on a previous car. They most certainly will do the same for you.

If you go to a tire and battery dealer for a non-OEM battery, just be advised that either you or they will have to know how to reset certain functions of the car when there is a total power loss. Roadside Assistance took care of all of that for me.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM

E550
Originally Posted by rlsolomon
Being just the kind of geek who reads the manual for a car he doesn't (yet?) own.... I saw this the other day and found it again - page 342 lower left corner:

Code:
If the battery is defective, the automatic transmission will be locked in position P. To shift the automatic transmission to position N, you must provide power to the vehicle's electrical system in the same way as when
jump-starting (page 338).
Interesting: This is NOT in the 2011 E Series Operators Manual.

Thanks for the info.

Reading the manuals, towing is a dangerous process. It seems to me that there are too many ways to break the car (expensively) when it's in Park. Since the default no power position is P, and doing practicaly anything with the doors puts it in P, there should be a way to mechanically put it in N and keep it there. Yeah, I know, more expense.

For example, Toyota has a flip up cover on a mechanical release for the floor shifter in earlier cars -- don't know about now.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM

'01 A6 2.7TQM
Interesting: This is NOT in the 2011 E Series Operators Manual.

Thanks for the info.
Interestingly enough it's under towing but under "Notes for 4MATIC vehicles" - yet to my eyes it's not 4MATIC-specific.

Reading the manuals, towing is a dangerous process. It seems to me that there are too many ways to break the car (expensively) when it's in Park. Since the default no power position is P, and doing practicaly anything with the doors puts it in P, there should be a way to mechanically put it in N and keep it there. Yeah, I know, more expense.

For example, Toyota has a flip up cover on a mechanical release for the floor shifter in earlier cars -- don't know about now.
They actually (in the 2012 book) address that too on the prior page (341) but it's kind of a dance!

Code:
The automatic transmission automatically shifts to position P when you open the driver's or front-passenger door or when you remove the SmartKey from the ignition lock. In order to ensure that the automatic transmission stays in position N when towing the vehicle, you must observe the following points: X Make sure that the vehicle is stationary and the SmartKey in the ignition lock is in position 0. X Turn the SmartKey to position 2 in the ignition lock. On vehicles with KEYLESS-GO, use the key instead of the Start/Stop button (page 145). X Depress and hold the brake pedal. X Shift the automatic transmission to position N. X Release the brake pedal. X Release the parking brake. X Leave the SmartKey in position 2 in the ignition lock.
Richard
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM

E350 4Matic 2011
Presumably, this won't work if the battery is dead. Unless the separate battery for the electronic tranny shifter is sufficient.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 AM

'01 A6 2.7TQM
Originally Posted by telemakhos
Presumably, this won't work if the battery is dead. Unless the separate battery for the electronic tranny shifter is sufficient.
My understanding is the dance would be IN ADDITION to the jump procedure above. So if you have onboard power, just dance - if no onboard power then jump first and then dance (while jumped). I believe once "locked" into Neutral in this manner that removing power (jumper cables) is NOT going to somehow allow the tranny to shift itself into P again.

Richard