E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Neighbor's cat chewed on my shark fin antenna! Easy to replace? Cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Luxury
Neighbor's cat chewed on my shark fin antenna! Easy to replace? Cost?

I walked out of work today and notice what looked like thick spider webs on my antenna above my rear window. Upon further inspection, I found deep bite/scratch marks from my neighbor's cat! I didn't see it this morning because I left when it was still dark. I live in a subdivision of townhomes and my car isn't garaged unfortunately. I have found a couple of my immediate neighbor's cats on my black '10 E350 numerous times and they have left scratches and smudges that irritate the living crap out of me. The scratches typically come out and since I have the pano roof, most of the top of my car is glass so it's not scratched much at all, if any. My hood/trunk tend to get the worst of it, but the markings are usually removable.

But gnawing on my antenna, really? I was furious and want it replaced but I don't want my dealer having to tear out my ceiling to do it. My car is relatively quite at 60,000 miles so I don't want to cause rattles/squeaks. However, if there's some kind of access panel (I couldn't see one) then it might not be too difficult.

I've searched, but I can't find out how much a replacement antenna would be. Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Headliner will need to be detached and replacement antenna will need to be painted – part # 20482065759999 MSRP $378 to comparison shop parts.com $271.20

Last edited by konigstiger; 08-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 AM

2011 E350 Luxury
Thanks so much! I hate that cat.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
some cultures eat cats....

your neighbours care that heir cats is damaging other peoples property?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
I hate cats and I didn't realize they were rodents as well

Actually, if your neighbor is a good one he / she should pay for the antenna if not

Last edited by BenzV12; 08-04-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I agree: scoop up that damn cat and hold it for ransom!!

good luck
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I would be so furious...

This is what you need. It will scare the living daylights out of that stupid cat and all that stupid cat's stupid cat friends. Stupid cats. Just be sure to have an off switch setup so you are not sprayed in the morning

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I would be so furious...

This is what you need. It will scare the living daylights out of that stupid cat and all that stupid cat's stupid cat friends. Stupid cats. Just be sure to have an off switch setup so you are not sprayed in the morning

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101...ef=pd_sbs_lg_1

Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Coyotes

You need some of these! We have them in our area and no cats roaming around.
Attached Thumbnails Neighbor's cat chewed on my shark fin antenna!  Easy to replace? Cost?-coyote11.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM

E350 Coupe
How about a car cover. I keep my car in the garage but, if for some reason I have to leave it out I cover it. Cheaper than replacing antennas.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by steelgrey
How about a car cover. I keep my car in the garage but, if for some reason I have to leave it out I cover it. Cheaper than replacing antennas.
Your messages reminded me of something I read today about paint protection against enviremental factors .So, that article recommended car cover too but also noted that these could attract cats' interest and cats like to sit on them hence they could rip off the cover and hence paint scratch
To expel cats , naphtaline is a quite thing according to the article

Thanks for your input
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM

2011 E350 Luxury
Thanks for the support! I am debating on how to deal with the situation.

As far as a car cover, I have thought of that and actually went to my dealer to purchase one that fits a W212. When I mentioned to the service/parts guy my purpose for purchasing the cover, he warned me against using a car cover daily because of further scratching and marring that could occur with the daily placement/removal. So since my car is my daily driver, I decided against a cover, a decision I now regret.

I also wasn't sure how aggravating removal and storage would be on a damp morning.

What are your thoughts on using a car cover daily, as in putting it on and removing it every day? I'm concerned about putting it on my car even if it's slightly dirty. I'd have to use it daily for it to serve its purpose, and I simply can't wash my car everyday.

I'd like to purchase a Mercedes brand cover so that I know it fits well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Don't do the car cover. It will sooner or later leave scratch marks all over your car. Think about it, your car will accumulate dust and dirt all over the place. whenever you put and remove the cover you are going to rub everything onto the clear coat/paint. And all this stuff is going to get transferred to your car cover. It will be filthy in no time and might end up causing more damage than the cat.

I was actually serious about the motion activated water sprayer for the car situation. When they get soaked a few times, they will know not to go near your car and you can actually stop using it. Give it a try. It's honestly the best solution I see.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Motion activated security lights seem to keep cats away at night around here. Skittish little creatures. Hate em.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
the car covers I have are OEM and very soft, sure it will cause a few minor scratches, but it's better then nothing........
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM

e350
Originally Posted by khelms_98
I walked out of work today and notice what looked like thick spider webs on my antenna above my rear window. Upon further inspection, I found deep bite/scratch marks from my neighbor's cat! I didn't see it this morning because I left when it was still dark. I live in a subdivision of townhomes and my car isn't garaged unfortunately. I have found a couple of my immediate neighbor's cats on my black '10 E350 numerous times and they have left scratches and smudges that irritate the living crap out of me. The scratches typically come out and since I have the pano roof, most of the top of my car is glass so it's not scratched much at all, if any. My hood/trunk tend to get the worst of it, but the markings are usually removable.

But gnawing on my antenna, really? I was furious and want it replaced but I don't want my dealer having to tear out my ceiling to do it. My car is relatively quite at 60,000 miles so I don't want to cause rattles/squeaks. However, if there's some kind of access panel (I couldn't see one) then it might not be too difficult.

I've searched, but I can't find out how much a replacement antenna would be. Any thoughts?
I gotta say, this is a funny story. When I saw the subject line my first thought was is this a joke? Of course, I'm sorry that the fin is damaged.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The German company, Sig Sauer, makes some nice accessories to deal with this type of issue. "here kitty kitty......"

Last edited by ImInPA; 08-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM

2004 CLK 320 Convertible
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The German company, Sig Sauer, makes some nice accessories to deal with this type of issue. "here kitty kitty......"
So does the Austrian company Glock.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
I have an idea. Get an empty can, (Like a soup can). Put some soft foam tape around the lip. When you park ant night put it over the antenna, Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by F18BEN
I have an idea. Get an empty can, (Like a soup can). Put some soft foam tape around the lip. When you park ant night put it over the antenna, Just a thought.
Now that's a good idea.

Now al that has to be done is figure out how to ensure the cat doesn't walk al over the paint.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by khelms_98
I walked out of work today and notice what looked like thick spider webs on my antenna above my rear window. Upon further inspection, I found deep bite/scratch marks from my neighbor's cat!
Ok, I've got cats. And it irritates the heck out of me when they bite and scratch stuff.

It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing it (pic?), but it sounds like they are clawing rather than gnawing your antenna. When my cats chew, they leave deep indentations or holes, but no scratches that extend from the indentations. If you have scratches, most likely they are sleeping on the roof of your car (it's warm!) and pawing at the only that that sticks up in their "bed." It's like a scratching post.

If indeed they are gnawing, your solution is easy. Get some habanero powder or, better yet, ghost chile powder (I don't think it will hurt paint) and dust it on your antenna. Don't touch your eyes, and be extra careful going to the bathroom if you get it on your hands (experience). A week of that, and they won't go near your car for a while. It will not do damage to an animal - chiles are used all over for animal control. Ghost chile works on elephants!

If they are pawing, it's harder. One thing that might work is a few strips of double-sided tape. Most cats don't like it. You've got to worry about the residue. The ghost chile might work, particularly because cats also tend to lick their paws after pawing. Instead of the can mentioned above, maybe try something bigger and heavier like a cardboard box. If you could find something spiky, like maybe some hard plastic toothpicks or something stuck through cardboard and put this around the area of your antenna, that might keep them far enough away. And one weird possibility that might work is to buy a scratching post with wound rope and put it next to your car - I have found that cats will generally leave other stuff alone if they have the real thing near by. Not always, but usually.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Ok, I've got cats. And it irritates the heck out of me when they bite and scratch stuff.

It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing it (pic?), but it sounds like they are clawing rather than gnawing your antenna. When my cats chew, they leave deep indentations or holes, but no scratches that extend from the indentations. If you have scratches, most likely they are sleeping on the roof of your car (it's warm!) and pawing at the only that that sticks up in their "bed." It's like a scratching post.

If indeed they are gnawing, your solution is easy. Get some habanero powder or, better yet, ghost chile powder (I don't think it will hurt paint) and dust it on your antenna. Don't touch your eyes, and be extra careful going to the bathroom if you get it on your hands (experience). A week of that, and they won't go near your car for a while. It will not do damage to an animal - chiles are used all over for animal control. Ghost chile works on elephants!

If they are pawing, it's harder. One thing that might work is a few strips of double-sided tape. Most cats don't like it. You've got to worry about the residue. The ghost chile might work, particularly because cats also tend to lick their paws after pawing. Instead of the can mentioned above, maybe try something bigger and heavier like a cardboard box. If you could find something spiky, like maybe some hard plastic toothpicks or something stuck through cardboard and put this around the area of your antenna, that might keep them far enough away. And one weird possibility that might work is to buy a scratching post with wound rope and put it next to your car - I have found that cats will generally leave other stuff alone if they have the real thing near by. Not always, but usually.

Good luck.

I have cats too, always had. Some of the smartest animals there are. Not because you can't teach them anything, just the opposite. They tend to do what they want but will learn the basic rules easy.

Cats don't geto on car just because the car is there to get on. They get on the car for a warm place. This happens way more when it is getting cold outside when cats are still kept outside. On chilly fall nights cats get especially on hoods of the cars as the car engine keeps the hood warm for some time after parked. When the warmth of the engine is gone so is the cat. This same goes with roof as the roof gets heated with the car's interior heat.

One of the best ways to teach cats that the car is not a good place to "attack" is very loud sound. I used my car's own horn inside the garage when I had two of my cats on my car at the same time. They both took of faster than lightning and NEVER went on the car again.

Now, that is difficult with some neighborhood cats that will take of before you get to the car. Would need to be some sort of a sensor that sees the cat and then triggeres a loud sound that does not need to be the car horn. Basically any loud noise will do.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Arrie
I have cats too, always had. Some of the smartest animals there are. Not because you can't teach them anything, just the opposite. They tend to do what they want but will learn the basic rules easy.
Perfectly said. Arrie and I are basically saying that you have to figure out how to make a comfortable place uncomfortable. A given cat will remember well, but sometimes needs reinforcement. I use a shock collar-Invisible Fence system inside my house to keep my cats from certain areas. it would be better to rent he system, because once the cats learn the rules it is unnecessary.

But cats are freaking smart. If you've got the tiniest hole on your system, a cat will be all over it. Worse than lawyers!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Any ma/pa Asian restaurants in the area? Maybe they pay cash daily for fresh food. I really don't like cats and happy that I can park in a nice, safe garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Neighbor's cat chewed on my shark fin antenna! Easy to replace? Cost?