Pairing two devices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Pairing two devices

Hey guys,

I searched but came up with nothing. Is it possible to pair one device for phone use and another for BT audio?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'm far from certain but my gut says "no".I do seem to recall,however,having read that pairing two devices at the same time isn't possible and my limited knowledge of electronics would expect that to be the case.Apart from issues of convenience what's to stop you from hardwiring the device to be used for music?

Last edited by listerone; 08-04-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Pairing 2 devices

Originally Posted by jerome8283
Hey guys,

I searched but came up with nothing. Is it possible to pair one device for phone use and another for BT audio?
You can pair 2 devices, but can't connect to them at the same time. I have my RAZR MAXX paired for phone and use it for streaming Pandora via BT just fine...but only 1 device can connect at a time. Phone features still work while streaming Pandora.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 AM

GLS450
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
You can pair 2 devices, but can't connect to them at the same time. I have my RAZR MAXX paired for phone and use it for streaming Pandora via BT just fine...but only 1 device can connect at a time. Phone features still work while streaming Pandora.
This sounds like what I'm trying to accomplish. I use my iPad to stream BT Audio and my blackberry for phone. I want to be able to make or receive a call while listening to music and then resume music without having to re-pair.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM

GLS450
Originally Posted by listerone
I'm far from certain but my gut says "no".I do seem to recall,however,having read that pairing two devices at the same time isn't possible and my limited knowledge of electronics would expect that to be the case.Apart from issues of convenience what's to stop you from hardwiring the device to be used for music?
Convenience
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Not sure I understand

Originally Posted by jerome8283
This sounds like what I'm trying to accomplish. I use my iPad to stream BT Audio and my blackberry for phone. I want to be able to make or receive a call while listening to music and then resume music without having to re-pair.
It doesn't sound like that's what you are trying to do - my interpretation is that you want to be able to have your BB ready on standby to make calls, but use your ipad to stream BT audio.

That's not going to work - if the ipad is connected and paired it is the active device - irrespective of a call going out or in thus functioning as a standalone device. If the ipad is paired and connected it is only going to function as a BT audio device - the COMAND system will not be able to recognize that a call is coming in on your BB and turn off ipad and turn on BB. This is a one or the other proposition. You can have both of them designated as paired devices, but only a single device will be actively paired & connected at a time.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM

2010 E350
Not to hi-jack the thread but if you have two phones paired with the car (my 4s and fiances 3gs) to work when we each drive the car...which phone does the car pair with if we ride together and both phones are in the car at the same time?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM

GLS450
It doesn't sound like that's what you are trying to do - my interpretation is that you want to be able to have your BB ready on standby to make calls, but use your ipad to stream BT audio.

That's not going to work - if the ipad is connected and paired it is the active device - irrespective of a call going out or in thus functioning as a standalone device. If the ipad is paired and connected it is only going to function as a BT audio device - the COMAND system will not be able to recognize that a call is coming in on your BB and turn off ipad and turn on BB. This is a one or the other proposition. You can have both of them designated as paired devices, but only a single device will be actively paired & connected at a time.
Ok thanks. I guess I'll wait unil my job gets me my iPhone and I will use it for both phone and music like you do.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
+1 to what everyone has said, actually had this exact issue yesterday. Stuck in traffic so my friend in the passenger seat took out my ipad, connected it via BT streaming to the car and pulled up Family Guy on netflix. Worked just fine but when my phone rang it didnt let me route it through the car while the ipad was still selected.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by LFTW8S
Not to hi-jack the thread but if you have two phones paired with the car (my 4s and fiances 3gs) to work when we each drive the car...which phone does the car pair with if we ride together and both phones are in the car at the same time?

Thanks
Fairly sure it would be luck of the draw, i.e., whichever phone the car recognized first.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by listerone
...,having read that pairing two devices at the same time isn't possible and my limited knowledge of electronics would expect that to be the case.
No reason the electronics could not be designed to pair many devices at once - it would just cost more.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by telemakhos
Fairly sure it would be luck of the draw, i.e., whichever phone the car recognized first.
Originally Posted by LFTW8S

Thanks
Actually there is a pecking order to it - I don't know if it is Alpha by device name or by which device was authorized in the list first.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Actually there is a pecking order to it - I don't know if it is Alpha by device name or by which device was authorized in the list first.
My 2010 manual says that the most recently used phone is selected. There was a thread in which a poster verified by experiment.