E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Let's discuss Distronic +

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E 350
Let's discuss Distronic +

I have very mixed feelings on this option. To clarify-Love it in light traffic on the open road.
However, I'm not so sure when zooming down a freeway at say 75. When a car
pulls in front, I feel the sudden slow down is extreme. { is that the brake? or
downshift?} After that car pulls back-gaining back the speed is also extreme.

While this may be safe in the event I'm not alert to slowing down, my anticipation with the gas pedal is much more gradual. In other words, when I
see traffic ahead slowing down, I do the same much earlier that the sudden brake at the set distance and the resuming speed.
I feel that my speed adjustments are much smoother. Am I nuts
Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM

e350
Originally Posted by boater07
I have very mixed feelings on this option. To clarify-Love it in light traffic on the open road.

While this may be safe in the event I'm not alert to slowing down, my anticipation with the gas pedal is much more gradual. In other words, when I
see traffic ahead slowing down, I do the same much earlier that the sudden brake at the set distance and the resuming speed.
You are not nuts. I have the driver assistance package. I love the blind spot and lane tracking assist. The jury is still out on distronic plus cruise control (i like how it will warn you when cruise control is not on and automatic braking when you are not slowing down fast enough without cruise). My danger is that sometimes when I'm driving the cruise control will turn off (braking or slowing down too much) on the highway and I might forget to brake!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
works amazingly, only use it on freeway, i always cover the brake but i let it do its thing, very impressive
Old 08-18-2012, 02:53 PM

2012 E 350
Originally Posted by bigh123
You are not nuts. I have the driver assistance package. I love the blind spot and lane tracking assist. The jury is still out on distronic plus cruise control (i like how it will warn you when cruise control is not on and automatic braking when you are not slowing down fast enough without cruise). My danger is that sometimes when I'm driving the cruise control will turn off (braking or slowing down too much) on the highway and I might forget to brake!
Now I'm really embarrassed. I've only used it as function of cruise control.
Didn't know auto braking worked w/o cruise.
Getting the manual out again but find the instructions overwhelming. May have to let the dealer go thru it with me.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Now I'm really embarrassed. I've only used it as function of cruise control.
Didn't know auto braking worked w/o cruise.
Getting the manual out again but find the instructions overwhelming. May have to let the dealer go thru it with me.
I better read my manual too as I thought auto braking is only for emergencies and doesn't work independently from cruise control..
Old 08-18-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by W210
I better read my manual too as I thought auto braking is only for emergencies and doesn't work independently from cruise control..
When Distronic Plus is deployed through the center display options,I'm 99.9% certain that the only times any kind of "automatic" braking occurs are when 1) you've crossed a dividing line (brakes on one side are applied...cruise control,itself,need not be "on") 2) when you're about to turn into a vehicle that's in your blind spot (one side braking,cruise control need not be "on") 3) when you get too close to a vehicle in front of you (cruise control must be "on") 4) when your vehicle detects in imminent frontal crash (cruise control need not be "on").
Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
While this may be safe in the event I'm not alert to slowing down, my anticipation with the gas pedal is much more gradual. In other words, when I see traffic ahead slowing down, I do
the same much earlier that the sudden brake at the set distance and the resuming speed.I feel that my speed adjustments are much smoother.
Am I nuts
No,not at all.While some love the "stop/go" capabilities of "advanced" cruise control,and it really *is* a neat concept,it's still a very imperfect feature...perhaps because it's still relatively new.I love active blind spot and lane assist but don't like "advanced" cruise both for the reasons you've mentioned and one or two others.I wish the cruise could be adjustable so that you can revert to old fashioned cruise and yet still keep the emergency braking features.I think you can disable Distronic on the dashboard but if you do you lose the safety features as well as the "advanced" cruise.But I'm not 100% certain of that.I think I might do some experimentation.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
there is no basic cruise control, its all in one with distronic
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM

2012 E 350
Originally Posted by listerone
When Distronic Plus is deployed through the center display options,I'm 99.9% certain that the only times any kind of "automatic" braking occurs are when 1) you've crossed a dividing line (brakes on one side are applied...cruise control,itself,need not be "on") 2) when you're about to turn into a vehicle that's in your blind spot (one side braking,cruise control need not be "on") 3) when you get too close to a vehicle in front of you (cruise control must be "on") 4) when your vehicle detects in imminent frontal crash (cruise control need not be "on").
Glad I brought this subject up. Looks like I'm not alone.
This afternoon, I went into drive assist on steering wheel to make sure Dist
is on. It shows my vehicle and what appears to be the min brake distance of
50 ft. I then followed other cars which show up on the screen. At a stop light,
I got well into this "safe dist" and nothing happened to braking. [I had my foot ready}
Back to the manual
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM

2012 E 350
Glad I brought this subject up. Looks like I'm not alone.
This afternoon, I went into drive assist on steering wheel to make sure Dist
is on. It shows my vehicle and what appears to be the min brake distance of
50 ft. I then followed other cars which show up on the screen. At a stop light,
I got well into this "safe dist" and nothing happened to braking. [I had my foot ready}
Back to the manual
Sorry forget everything. It appears you need an actual emergency to test the system [ie pre safe brake and brake assist plus]
Seems it only works at speeds above 4mph.
I'm not about to try it and will simply hope it works.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550

I agree the response of the system to the environment can be less than refined at times. Clearly you can evaluate the driving environment better than distronic can. All of your driving experiences, perception and other cognitive abilities allow you to do a better job at modulating speed, breaking and acceleration. However, if on the other hand you are distracted or fatigued or simply not paying attention, the computer does a very good job at helping you avoid an accident. I am sure it was never intended to replace your own skills rather, it's there to help you complete your journey safely.

These systems will continue to be refined and improved. After all, albeit more sophisticated systems, can land an airliner. Never the less they still want a pair of pilots on board.

Just an opinion.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Ok, distronic works great. I use all the time in heavy traffic. Just set the distance at 50 meters at the max speed you want to go, and let it work. Trusting it is difficult at first. If someone jumps in front of you it will go in a panic mode and scare the sh-- out of you. I have used it following cars off ramps and it stop the car completely. When on, you can speed up, just remove your foot off the gas and returns to normal. I took European delivery and enjoyed it on the autobahn.
Max speed you can set it at is 200kph, If you want to go faster than that, you have to use your right foot!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM

E 200 CDI Elegance 5G-Automatic MY 2010
I use the Distronic Plus in the city by Stop and Go, it's very comfortable!
I also use it on the Motorway sometimes.
In the city I always set the shortest distance and on the motorway the longest distance.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Glad Distronic worked so well for you! I'd love to get it in my next car...

Were you concerned about the break-in period when you took delivery of the car in Germany? I had always wanted to do the Black Forest trail but I've been considered about not being able to enjoy the autobahn and the driving experience in Germany by having to be careful of the break-in period...

Originally Posted by Karl901
Ok, distronic works great. I use all the time in heavy traffic. Just set the distance at 50 meters at the max speed you want to go, and let it work. Trusting it is difficult at first. If someone jumps in front of you it will go in a panic mode and scare the sh-- out of you. I have used it following cars off ramps and it stop the car completely. When on, you can speed up, just remove your foot off the gas and returns to normal. I took European delivery and enjoyed it on the autobahn.
Max speed you can set it at is 200kph, If you want to go faster than that, you have to use your right foot!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Karl901 --

PS: What is the speed limiter set at for the 550? Is it 135 mph or is it higher if you do European delivery?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 AM

Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Any, MB car you buy for Euro delivery is same car you would buy here, you just interrupt the shipping time line.

Also, yes I did a breaking period. Went to France first, this forced me not to drive fast.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by vdubpower
there is no basic cruise control, its all in one with distronic

How does it work when you turn the radar off? Does that disable the whole cruise control or would it work like normal CC?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 PM

MB may know?.....?