2012 E350 Bluetec special diesel fuel specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63, ML63
2012 E350 Bluetec special diesel fuel specs

Hello all E350 bluetec members,

Looking to purchase E350 P2 Bluetec 2012 and would like to solicite community opinion regarding operational reliability. Dealer suggested I have to be fill with Diesel under certain specification, otherwise they will not honor the warranty. Have you guys heard such ridicules statement.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 PM

E350 BT, E320, 528i
You can go to any gas station that sell gasoline along with diesel fuel. I have no problems whatsoever. It is same diesel fuel trucks use. You will love the BlueTec. It is turbine smooth with torque of V8 engine and 40 plus highway miles of fuel consumption.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM

CLS63, ML63
Thanks raylee,

Good to hear that you do not need special diesel, now the question 2012 or wait for 2013 to come out.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM

E350 BT, E320, 528i
Not sure but what I am hearing is that 2013 is basically same as 2012. P2 package is very good with minor exception that key uses more battery than P1, like changing battery more often in your key.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Yceo4u
Dealer suggested I have to be fill with Diesel under certain specification, otherwise they will not honor the warranty. Have you guys heard such ridicules statement.
The reference to "special" fuel is in regards to its biodiesel content.Mercedes...and (if I'm not mistaken) BMW,Audi and VW...require that biodiesel higher than "B5" (5% "biodiesel" content) cannot be used in their vehicles and doing so can void the warranty.I've read that the fear is that higher concentrations can damage the emission systems.I know of one local station that sells "B5" and I've used it without trouble.However,I think I've read that there's at least one state that's requiring...or is considering requiring...that diesel fuel be higher than 5%.I could be wrong on this and if I am someone's sure to correct me.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by raylee177
Not sure but what I am hearing is that 2013 is basically same as 2012. P2 package is very good with minor exception that key uses more battery than P1, like changing battery more often in your key.
that because of keyless go but i think most people are ok with this minor issue. although i only have p1, keyless go is one of several things that you think you don't need/care to begin with and can't live without once you get used to it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
I guess the dealer is technically correct that has to be USLD, however not sure how special it is if it's the only thing available at on road stations in the US and many other countries.

2012 vs. 2013, does the 2013 get the updated BTC with a bit more HP and torque? (used in '12 ML350 BTC and S350?)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 620 Likes on 467 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
that because of keyless go but i think most people are ok with this minor issue. although i only have p1, keyless go is one of several things that you think you don't need/care to begin with and can't live without once you get used to it.
Another great point by dear friend
It's same as back up camera . You may first think it's not necessary and Parktronic and sensors help you do the job perfectly but once you have a car with that cool option it's like you can not live without lol
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM

CLS63, ML63
The reference to "special" fuel is in regards to its biodiesel content.Mercedes...and

It's getting interesting and my initial though about the MB sales staff may not be correct. The question is, How do you find what oil companies diesel spec differ and what is best gas station to fill up B5? (Shell, Exxon, etc....)
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Yceo4u
It's getting interesting and my initial though about the MB sales staff may not be correct. The question is, How do you find what oil companies diesel spec differ and what is best gas station to fill up B5? (Shell, Exxon, etc....)
All diesel fuel pumps are, by law, labeled with the fact that they are low sulfur fuel as required by any diesel car truck built after 20??. Similarly, if Biodiesel is sold, it must be labeled as such.

Any major brand used by cars or trucks will be fine. I now use RaceTrack and marathon and I never would have bought gas there...but diesel is diesel and if you buy where trucks buy, you will get fresher fuel.

There is a wonderful free smartphone application "gas buddy" that helps find diesel and gives the prices at the different stations. It's info comes from users (like you) and it's pretty accurate if you live in a well populated area where people update prices.s
Old 09-17-2012, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Another great point by dear friend
It's same as back up camera . You may first think it's not necessary and Parktronic and sensors help you do the job perfectly but once you have a car with that cool option it's like you can not live without lol
not that i don't like all those safety features/gadgets or i'm the best/most skilled driver on earth but i think those little things deteriorated my driving skills a bit especially the parking sensors and tilt down passenger side mirror when reverse. i was parking like a grandma with the c-class loaner (no parking sensors) i got couple weeks ago . that didn't happen years ago . i still don't really care too much about the back up camera, though . in fact, the tech leader at my dealer said he hated that camera so much. he didn't have any problem to reverse park his car before but now is always out of whack because of the fish eye view .
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
not that i don't like all those safety features/gadgets or i'm the best/most skilled driver on earth but i think those little things deteriorated my driving skills a bit especially the parking sensors and tilt down passenger side mirror when reverse. i was parking like a grandma with the c-class loaner (no parking sensors) i got couple weeks ago . that didn't happen years ago . i still don't really care too much about the back up camera, though . in fact, the tech leader at my dealer said he hated that camera so much. he didn't have any problem to reverse park his car before but now is always out of whack because of the fish eye view .
You can turn off the backup camera (engineering menus). I love the backup camera that was in my infiniti...the mercedes one is, at best, good to see if anyone is behind you....it doesn't help actually park or back up. Of course, that's probably exactly why mercedes put it in the car....safety....instead of also considering convenience or useability for parking.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by ghstudio
You can turn off the backup camera (engineering menus). I love the backup camera that was in my infiniti...the mercedes one is, at best, good to see if anyone is behind you....it doesn't help actually park or back up. Of course, that's probably exactly why mercedes put it in the car....safety....instead of also considering convenience or useability for parking.
i'm not in love with it but i don't hate it so much that i have to turn it off . i'll pass this on to the tech at the dealer, though .