Regular from the W124 forum looking at W212 Sprt wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
Red face Regular from the W124 forum looking at W212 Sprt wagon

Hi all,
Like the titles says, I hang out on the W124 forum with my 93 300 CE Cabriolet quite a bit. I also have and 00 Audi A64.2 that I bought new and now am looking to replace it with a 2013 E350 Sport wagon.

My issue is, I have driven the luxury wagon and it is very nice, but I am tempted to get the Sport version because it is a zero price option and I just can't stand the thought of passing one on the road and thinking what if?

My problem is it seems the sport wagons are not on any lot I can find in the U.S, let alone a Premium 2 one at that. I wonder if you guys have any opinions on just how sporty the sport suspension on the E350 Wagon is as I do like the facia and skirts much better, but I am hesitant to order it and discover the ride is just not what i want to haul the family cross country.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Honestly, I don't think there is one bit of difference between the actual suspension in a Sport and a Luxury.

Sport gets you the body work, rectangular exhaust tips and 18" AMG wheels, and a grill with three horizontals rather than four.

Handling I could not tell the difference between the two in the real world.

And being in the frozen northeast, I wanted 17" wheels anyway.

Huge difference between P1 and P2. If I had to pick, I'd take P2 and Lux over P1 and Sport, and I'd push for the 17's either way.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
On rough roads, the sport's ride is noticeaibly harsher than the lux. On smooth roads, especially interstate highways, the sport's ride is smooth as silk.

Regards,
Don
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM

Its a bit confusing...

So the MBUSA site and the dealers I have gone to say that the shocks and springs are different between luxury and sport models, and the springs are shorter and lower the car by about a half inch across the board. Heavier sway bars are available from several sources, including MB Germany.

I can appreciate the faster rate over cruddy pavement, but there is no way to adjust the system from within the cockpit, from what I've seen on sedans. SO its always one or the other, no problem there if I get the one I (and my wife, since this will be her daily driver) prefer best.

I really guess I will just wait and see what comes into the dealerships, I want to put an e350 wagon into my garage by July 2013, even if I have to order one, which I hate to do for obvious reasons.

On the other hand I am thinking I may get a deal when the current 2013 wagons come out of lease with CPO status between now and then. Plus the upcoming 2014 facelift may be a perfect storm for a buyer like me. I like the Ponton style lined fenders, cuz I'm a classic guy after all.

Okay, I just went adrift there. Do you guys think a test drive in a sport sedan versus the luxury wagon is a good enough comparison between sport and non sport?

Thanks for the help,
Bob

Last edited by klobbr; 09-18-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by klobbr

Okay, I just went adrift there. Do you guys think a test drive in a sport sedan versus the luxury wagon is a good enough comparison between sport and non sport?

Thanks for the help,
Bob
Maybe not. According to MBUSA website, the sport wagon comes standard with 17" wheels, so it will ride slightly softer than the sport sedan which comes standard with 18".

If you plan on getting the 18" wheel option, I would expect the two vehicles to ride the same.

Regards,
Don
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks Don.

I prefer the 17s over the 18s as live in Chicago where the roads eat AMG or other lighter, high performance wheels. I know we all have our opinions, but on heavy cars with heavy loads its just asking for trouble. Plus the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires I prefer year round are very good dry road performers.

Thanks again, I will report back after I get a chance to drive a sport sedan.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Cool options

Hi Bob,
I had the same problem as there are usually no E Wagons (sport or luxury) to test drive here in MN.

The wheels IMO really make the "look" of the E class, actually the wheels and
the Sport package. What I really wanted was E550 Wagon with 17" AMG wheels and Sport trim but Luxury shocks/springs. No E550, no 17" AMG wheels, no Sport trim with Lux suspension

I wanted the Sport package aggressive look and the AMG wheels (and 3 spoke
steering wheel too) enough, to go that route as my sales assoc claimed the
18" wheels/tires and Sport suspension would only slightly diminish the ride
quality---ever so slight.

IMO the AMG wheel option is the best bargain MB has going, $760ish. For grins
I priced them from parts dept--I think it was $1100 EACH.
They are a heavy duty/quality wheel (like 25 lbs) but they do have less sidewall on the 18" tires to absorb nasty road junk.

I'm paying to swap out the 18" Conti Pro Contacts which come on 95% of the E350 wagons with 18" wheels for Michelin MXV4s which are highly rated and supposedly have better ride quality than the stockers--to help mitgate the move to 18" wheels/tires.

I don't have mine yet so can't tell you firsthand how it will work out but that's my situation.

P.S. Part of my solution was also getting 17" winter wheels/tires so I'll have taller tire sidewalls in winter for nasty ice/snow/ruts.

Bob in MN
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Talking Took two 2013s out today.

I drove a luxury wagon with the Black MBTex under white exterior. Great looking seats, I prefer the look of the MBtex pattern over the leather, and since I am not going ortho or heated back seats MBtex is a done deal.
After that I drove a sport sedan, and there was definitely a difference in the stance of the car, maybe closer to 3/4 inch drop and the sport wheel is way cooler to me and feels special. I like the way the front grille and air ducts look too when compared side by side.

Great car that sport. Nice throaty growl and I like the paddle shifters that hold the gear. Best tell the wife how those work on day one.

Not completely sold on the side assist, I think Audi has a more subtle and user friendlier version, but I do want the warning so I guess I just talked myself into it again.

Nothing really crazy, just think that I found the color combination that I like best, except there is a special order grey color that is darker than the steel grey without the blueish tint of the steel grey but I couldn't get a look at it so my gut says go with our first impression which is the Obsidian. So funny how my wife and I sweat it out over every car color available but always end up with black or silver every time.

So here's a shortlist of what I will be ordering because there is no way I will find this car on a lot.

2013 E350 Wagon Obsidan over black MBTex
Black Ash wood
Sport Styling Package
Wheel Package
Premium 2
Illuminated sills (they are white now, not blue)
Heat and vent front seats
Panorama roof
Keyless Go
Lane tracking (passive)
Rear side impact airbags

So that was pretty easy. Now I just have to make the numbers work and see what they will take on my trade in, which is going to hurt because I loved that car and drive the snot out of it.

So, were looking at MBUSA membership $1000 off
MB Credit card $500 off
(I'm looking to see if my company offers fleet or car allotment, but I doubt it) And all will be revealed on Tuesday next.

SO what do you guys think is the right numbers on this car without the discounts and trade in? Any guesses? I am going to order it to take delivery in November. Can not wait.

I told my salesman that I would like to start the negotiations at 6% off the MSRP. He wasn't shocked and I read that somewhere on these forums and I like the sound of it. Like I said, the main event will be Tuesday. I'd love to hear how you guys have cut the deal on your cars.

Best,
Bob

Last edited by klobbr; 09-20-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:37 AM

bump?

Anybody think end of the model year clearances are coming up?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 AM

Cool 2012 vs 2013

Anybody think end of the model year clearances are coming up?
Here in MN, our 3 dealers hardly ever have E350 Wagons in stock so end of year clearance is not an issue/option.
Frankly, I got same pricing on June build 2012 wagon or Aug build 2013 wagon, except 2013 went up about $810? in base price.

2013s have minimal upgrades- MBrace 2 and not sure if anything else...
Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 AM

Same down here

Many dealers are taking orders for the wagons, they just don't show up down here and when they do they are white. I'm hip but the wife says no.

We also went off the MBTex bandwagon and am now going for the black leather and heated rear seats but ditching the lane assist to kinda make up a little for the leather upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to see some pics of your car.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM

2013 E350 Wagon; 2009 328 xi
Hi all,
Like the titles says, I hang out on the W124 forum with my 93 300 CE Cabriolet quite a bit. I also have and 00 Audi A64.2 that I bought new and now am looking to replace it with a 2013 E350 Sport wagon.

My issue is, I have driven the luxury wagon and it is very nice, but I am tempted to get the Sport version because it is a zero price option and I just can't stand the thought of passing one on the road and thinking what if?

My problem is it seems the sport wagons are not on any lot I can find in the U.S, let alone a Premium 2 one at that. I wonder if you guys have any opinions on just how sporty the sport suspension on the E350 Wagon is as I do like the facia and skirts much better, but I am hesitant to order it and discover the ride is just not what i want to haul the family cross country.

Thanks,
Bob
MB Canada orders all E 350 wagons with what you'd call the 'sport package' - not even an option. further, our local dealer automatically chooses the 18" AMG wheels when they order for stock (we factory ordered and are waiting...but chose those wheels anyway). Calgary isnt a crazy heavy snow city and the roads aremt terrible, but we get our share of harsh conditions. If those options work as 'defaults' here I'm sure they will be fine for you.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM

2013 E350 Wagon; 2009 328 xi
I am going to order it to take delivery in November. Can not wait.

Best,
Bob
OK, for rhe record, crazy jealous. i factory ordered in August and last word I had was December delivery for what is nearly the exact same car.................
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM

Interesting.

I am going to make the final agreements for ordering the car on Tuesday, I have a November or January delivery window. Since I am not getting any offers on my current car I think I might pop for the January delivery and use my current car for the rest of the year.

I did decide to change up the order. I am going to swap MBTex for leather so we can get the rear seat heaters. We feel the car should have leather at this price and the kids should be able to warm their butts too.

I don't mind the wait but I am bursting to place the order so I can stop second guessing my configuration.

Best,
Bob
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Designo damnation.

Oh crap.
I did some research after my salesman tipped me off to some of the Designo possibilities for paint. We have been struggling to pick the right color and thought the Obsidian was it until I saw it on a dirty car in the dealer lot an lost my nerve. So, as we are debating the spectrum of grey and black we come to the topic of Designo Graphite.

Dammit.

Its petty dark, has a subtle flop towards green. It's a darker shade than steel grey, its a metal flake that hides dirt, and it costs 1580 more than Obsidian.

Thankfully, I can attempt to justify the expense in my head by saying things like I did quit smoking years ago, I can always sell a motorcycle, I will stop buying tall boys on the commuter train, I will give up some bar time, etc.

But dammit all the same. That is an expense that will never get a return at resale, but I am just gonna have to do it. Anybody else go Designo on a wagon? Do you find yourself telling everyone about it just to feel better?

I'm a sucker, I know it, but what the hell. Its a cool car.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 AM

Its done.
$1000 over invoice isn't great, but the number I crunched was very close so I signed the order. Corporate discount, MBCA discount, MB Amex discount, but the ungodly Cook County 8.75 tax had me queasy. I think I made the dealership pretty happy, they are looking forward to the black ash wood over black leather under the Designo Graphite paint almost as much as I am. I didn't think I could do much better after a few back and forths, I am sure some of you guys out there are better hagglers.

Looks like a wait on the paint of 4-6 weeks past the December delivery date, so at least that means some of our winter will pass before I pick it up. I'm thinking it could be one of the last 2013 Sport Wagons before the facelift, and I am pretty sure it will be one of very few 350s in Graphite sent to the U.S. To me that's pretty neat.

Talk to you all in a few months,
Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Myzmak,
I just heard my car wont be built until January 28th now and possibly later due to the paint color we chose. So, there you go, you get yours first. Please post a boatload pf pics. This is going to be a long winter for us. Sigh.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM

wagon

It should be worth the wait. Got mine the end of Sept, have about 700 miles and
lovin' it.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
I prefer the 17s over the 18s as live in Chicago where the roads eat AMG or other lighter, high performance wheels. I know we all have our opinions, but on heavy cars with heavy loads its just asking for trouble. Plus the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires I prefer year round are very good dry road performers.

Thanks again, I will report back after I get a chance to drive a sport sedan.
Bob,

Don't be totally afraid of the 18" wheels. It appears you purchased the wheel package for your wagon. I also live in Chicago and have been driving an E350 4 Matic sport sedan with the AMG wheel package for 2 1/2 years with no mishaps, yet. You do have to be cautious with the low profile tires. Do be careful with the low clearance of the front end especially with regards to those wheel stops in parking lots.

Your car sounds great. The Designo colors and interiors are very handsome.

RS
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Good to know.

MinnBobbr. That wood looks crazy in that pic. I never figured the grain to be so intense.
RSIKR. I am glad to hear that. I like the AMG wheels and although I run 17s on my cab, we destroyed 17" wheels on our Audi A6 4.2 over the years. I think its that huge V8 lump that must have contributed to it. I am about to go after the bushings under that car now that I have a few more months to wait for the wagon.

Tic freaking toc. Its gonna seem like forever.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
MinnBobbr. That wood looks crazy in that pic. I never figured the grain to be so intense.
RSIKR. I am glad to hear that. I like the AMG wheels and although I run 17s on my cab, we destroyed 17" wheels on our Audi A6 4.2 over the years. I think its that huge V8 lump that must have contributed to it. I am about to go after the bushings under that car now that I have a few more months to wait for the wagon.

Tic freaking toc. Its gonna seem like forever.
good thing thanksgiving, x'mas and new year are all around the corner and it'll keep you busy...or drunk . but the best thing to do is hang around here more .
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
What a nice wagon
I have spot something that you have a different COMAND knob assuming you also have a different location for these following stalks : Tempomat and wiper arm and with chrome tip
Well, I also think you have a different direct gear selector lever same as W176 A and C218 CLS Shooting Brake

Happy Driving
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
There is a significant difference between the sport and luxury suspension setups. To begin, the Sport suspension is lower by 1 inch compared with the Luxury. The "bump compliance" is superior in the luxury model. I compared both, back to back, before purchasing my Luxury version. Also, I prefer the IP in the Luxury version Vs the Sport. I also prefer the additional chrome on the outside, the 4 lamella grill, and the light colored headliner.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Cool black ash trim

That picture is way more contrast than normal. It was hard to get a picture
that shows the grain so that one in the sun was 10X normal.
Most of the time it almost looks solid black with a little light gold grain showing thru---beautiful.
At night/ low light it almost looks like black piano solid finish. I'm really glad I ordered it is fantastic with the ash/black interior IMO.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM

C63, E350 4Matic Wagon
klobbr,

I wouldn't worry about the ride of the sport suspension on the sport wagon with 18" wheels. In the past, my wife had a 2000 A6 4.2, non sport with 17" wheels. I would say her 2012 sport wagon on the 18" AMG wheels rides noticeably better than the A6 4.2. Another thing to consider is the wagon has Airmatic rear suspension standard. We also have black ash on ours, you will love it.
Attached Thumbnails Regular from the W124 forum looking at W212 Sprt wagon-img_5580.jpg  

Last edited by M156; 11-14-2012 at 12:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regular from the W124 forum looking at W212 Sprt wagon