E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Who has moved on from their E350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by amcguru
To the original poster...have you considered buying used?
Probably not because I lease most of my cars. However, if I were to go for a stretch car like the Panamera I would certainly look at CPO, etc.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
6 Series Gran Coupe. Nicest 4 Door on the market right now, IMO. It's one of my wants after I part with the E, but I really want a 2 Door now, so a 6 Coupe is almost better.

The 6 Series Gran Coupe is quite possibly the nicest looking BMW ever. However $100K is past my stretch point for a new car.

Have you read the Car & Driver comparison with the A7 (The Audi comes out on top).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
I honestly wonder if the Audi people are as happy as us MB people with their choice......

my 550 was my first big time car......I didn't even look around that much, I was mainly thinking "V8"
when I was trying to decide what to get, always loved the LOOKS of jags........but they were not for me....
BMW........nah, never saw myself a s a BMW guy....... Audi.......always had friends with them.......never liked them,
Saab......LOL.........Volvo......after owning a used s40 and paying half as much to keep it on the road as what I paid for it.....
I hated Volvo too.......
so far I've had only good things with Mercedes......

Last edited by hyperion667; 09-27-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Be Prepared

I do not have plans to move on, but I also believe in keeping up with what is out there. Two or three times in the past I had to get a new car quickly and fortunately I had already narrowed it down to 3.
To further confuse you, I would recommend the new Lexus GS (if you can past the spindle grille) and the Hyundai Genesis.
If considering Honda, need to also look at Acura. They sometimes beat Accord prices on TSX and maybe even TL.
Try this site: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/ It's a little different in perspective from some of the other sites. Their reviews came closer to matching my findings when I tested cars than anyone else. Their ratings numbers appear low, but they do not rate any cars very high. Compare the numbers to other cars.
There are a lot of cars out there. Wish you luck.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by BenzE350
The 6 Series Gran Coupe is quite possibly the nicest looking BMW ever. However $100K is past my stretch point for a new car.

Have you read the Car & Driver comparison with the A7 (The Audi comes out on top).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Yeah, Audi's are magazines darlings right now, and BMW making their cars drive bloaty and non-BMW-like anymore while Audi makes their cars lighter and more dynamic, is working against BMW big time.

I've driven the A7, and it's very well rounded, much more of a "scalpel precision tool" than what BMW or for that matter M-B are putting out today (who both now focus on M-B's trademark heavy substantial luxury driving feel), however it isn't as "cushy" as either.

IMO the big drawback of the A7 is that hideous styling. I'm not a fan of the CLS's disjointed look with all those wayward lines and elements, but it's a much hotter car than the A7 still IMO, and of course the 6 GC just takes the cake.

I hated the Gran Coupe initially, but after seeing it in person (only WITH M Sport Package), experiencing BMW's amazing engineering re: FINALLY a "4 Door Coupe" that has even more frontal headroom than an E-Class, and the other day seeing one drive across an intersection in profile view.... I think it's really a perfect 4 door right now, and that profile driving view is simply majestic, without being frivolous.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by listerone
If a Panemera diesel reached these shores tomorrow I'd jump on it.Same with an E300 diesel hybrid.But it looks for all the world as if neither of these things will happen so my next car (perhaps 6 years from now when I'll be too old for "fancy" cars) will probably be a VW TDI...maybe the Passat...maybe a smaller one.
not a Passat, one of my kids just got out of one of those - it had some issues and the service was very expensive.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM

E350
Test drive updates... (long post)

Great day to hit the local dealerships. Rainy Sunday afternoon and the Patriots were on at 1:00. I DVR'd the game and hit the road to mostly empty automotive showrooms.

First up Porsche Panamera 4 V6. I love most everything about this car except - surprisingly - the steering. Yes it is precise and offers decent communication, however, it is much too light. The V6 is no beast but offers sweet sounds under acceleration and plenty quick for my needs. This is easily the best handling 4 door sedan I have driven. The interior (despite all the buttons) is very classy - the best of any Porsche I have seen. I also love the relative exclusivity of the Panamera (I haven't seen another one in my town). Unfortunately the lightly optioned model I drove had a sticker of almost $90K. I don't think I love it enough to stretch my car budget that far.

Strolled next door to test drive both an A6 and A7. I have driven the A6 before So I was mostly familiar with the ride / handling. The A6 is fast - kick the go-pedal on this supercharged beauty and it flies. The steering is slightly numb but no better or worse than the E350. Looks are always subjective but I admire the simple botton-down look of this sedan. Mostly love the interior, however, the seats just don't quite suite me - and I just can't seem to come to grips with the pop-up nav. I find it hard to comprehend that Audi puts so much technical smarts into this car and drops on the nav screen as almost an after thought. The A7 (not surprisingly) drove the same. However, one minute I love the sloping roof and the next I find it odd. The extra $7-10K for the A7 is too steep.

After stoping for lunch at Panera I went to try the Range Rover Evoque for a change of pace. In my opinion this small SUV looks better on paper/screen than in person. Way too small for any practical use (like a ski weekend). I also thought the Ford sourced turbo 4 lacked any sophistication, and the much talked about interior was spoiled by cheap looking aluminum looking trim. Priced from $50 to $60K depending on options - well - I just don't get it.

Back to my sedan objective I hit the BMW dealership. Black sapphire metallic 535xi with M Sport Package. The M Sport definitely adds great visual appeal to this car - but comes with a steep $2,900 price (at least it adds exclusivity). Subjectively felt every bit as fast as the A6 but with a nicer sounding engine / exhaust note. IMO BMW interiors now rival for best in class - especially if you opt for the multi contour seats and Nappa leather. Despite much hyped claims that the F10 is no longer a real sports sedan - it handles better than anything else except the Panamera (and the car I drove did not have the dynamic handling package). Downsides - yes a few. The most important is the price which pushes $70K with "must have" options.

Finally stopped to vist the Lexus dealership on the way home - more for curiosity than anything else. Took a GS350 F Sport for a test drive. I admit this car is no looker - in fact it is hideous from some angles especially in lighter colors. However, the acceleration and handling (in Sport + mode) are very nice. Interior, though not as nice as the A6 or 535 has several nice touches including the double stitching and leather dash. Best part is fully loaded it was only around $58K. Just not sure if I can see myself in a Lexus.

OK, after spending an entire afternoon test driving - I still haven't made any decisions. I will try to narrow this down to 2 and see who is willing to negotiate.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Gsc

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2014 Porsche Turbo S, 2013 Bentley GT Speed W12
Great review, OP.

My lease is coming to an end in 3 months and Iwill be looking at the new 7.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
wow, that's suprisingly a lot of work man......6 cars today?
that's a lot of work!

thanx for the reviews....good luck
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Great day to hit the local dealerships. Rainy Sunday afternoon and the Patriots were on at 1:00. I DVR'd the game and hit the road to mostly empty automotive showrooms.

First up Porsche Panamera 4 V6. I love most everything about this car except - surprisingly - the steering. Yes it is precise and offers decent communication, however, it is much too light. The V6 is no beast but offers sweet sounds under acceleration and plenty quick for my needs. This is easily the best handling 4 door sedan I have driven. The interior (despite all the buttons) is very classy - the best of any Porsche I have seen. I also love the relative exclusivity of the Panamera (I haven't seen another one in my town). Unfortunately the lightly optioned model I drove had a sticker of almost $90K. I don't think I love it enough to stretch my car budget that far.

Strolled next door to test drive both an A6 and A7. I have driven the A6 before So I was mostly familiar with the ride / handling. The A6 is fast - kick the go-pedal on this supercharged beauty and it flies. The steering is slightly numb but no better or worse than the E350. Looks are always subjective but I admire the simple botton-down look of this sedan. Mostly love the interior, however, the seats just don't quite suite me - and I just can't seem to come to grips with the pop-up nav. I find it hard to comprehend that Audi puts so much technical smarts into this car and drops on the nav screen as almost an after thought. The A7 (not surprisingly) drove the same. However, one minute I love the sloping roof and the next I find it odd. The extra $7-10K for the A7 is too steep.

After stoping for lunch at Panera I went to try the Range Rover Evoque for a change of pace. In my opinion this small SUV looks better on paper/screen than in person. Way too small for any practical use (like a ski weekend). I also thought the Ford sourced turbo 4 lacked any sophistication, and the much talked about interior was spoiled by cheap looking aluminum looking trim. Priced from $50 to $60K depending on options - well - I just don't get it.

Back to my sedan objective I hit the BMW dealership. Black sapphire metallic 535xi with M Sport Package. The M Sport definitely adds great visual appeal to this car - but comes with a steep $2,900 price (at least it adds exclusivity). Subjectively felt every bit as fast as the A6 but with a nicer sounding engine / exhaust note. IMO BMW interiors now rival for best in class - especially if you opt for the multi contour seats and Nappa leather. Despite much hyped claims that the F10 is no longer a real sports sedan - it handles better than anything else except the Panamera (and the car I drove did not have the dynamic handling package). Downsides - yes a few. The most important is the price which pushes $70K with "must have" options.

Finally stopped to vist the Lexus dealership on the way home - more for curiosity than anything else. Took a GS350 F Sport for a test drive. I admit this car is no looker - in fact it is hideous from some angles especially in lighter colors. However, the acceleration and handling (in Sport + mode) are very nice. Interior, though not as nice as the A6 or 535 has several nice touches including the double stitching and leather dash. Best part is fully loaded it was only around $58K. Just not sure if I can see myself in a Lexus.

OK, after spending an entire afternoon test driving - I still haven't made any decisions. I will try to narrow this down to 2 and see who is willing to negotiate.
Trying to be as objective as possible, considering the natural laws of potentially getting more acclimated to and/or bored of driving the same car for years VS something that feels "new" (test drives tend to make almost anything feel special in my experiences, to some extents), how did you feel the E holds up VS the A6 and 535i? Focusing less on the HP aspect (because the 2012+ E350's have 300+ HP too, which essentially puts them in a similar straight line camp) I.e, do you think you would you have considered if you were shopping for them all as first cars today?

I agree about the Panamera. Beautiful ride IMO, even with its awkward shortcomings. I think they are made up by a unique and exclusive design and experience. With M-B and BMW expanding their product portfolios so heavily on the lower segments, IMO going forward Porsche's cachet and appeal will only enhance as for its slightly higher price, it'll buy you a lot more "exclusivity", therefore giving it more Luxury-Car appeal.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Trying to be as objective as possible, considering the natural laws of potentially getting more acclimated to and/or bored of driving the same car for years VS something that feels "new" (test drives tend to make almost anything feel special in my experiences, to some extents), how did you feel the E holds up VS the A6 and 535i? Focusing less on the HP aspect (because the 2012+ E350's have 300+ HP too, which essentially puts them in a similar straight line camp) I.e, do you think you would you have considered if you were shopping for them all as first cars today?
Good question. I think my 2010 is way behind in engine performance, however, as you noted the 2012+ models have probably closed the gap.

I guess it's hard to be completely objective because I am looking for something new and different. The E interior seems a step back from the A6 and 535 in terms of feel and flow. My interior with the MB-Tex, black on black, and burl walnut feels a bit cold. Different color and leather options may look better. It's amazing what a few well chosen option packages can do on some cars - like the multi contour seats and nappa leather on the 535. Just be prepared to pay.

My biggest complaint on the E350 with the sport option is the harsh, thunking and unpleasant ride on rough road surfaces.

All these cars have pros and cons - but overall they are all great automobiles.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
mind to tell us which two will you narrow down to?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM

E350
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
mind to tell us which two will you narrow down to?
Haven't made a final decision but final 2 are looking like the A6 and 535xi.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I recently saw an A6 which I usually find painfully drab, in white and in S-LIne or whatever it's called, and it did look really good. I think I've gotten so in touch with the angular complexities of the E's design, my eyes are really started to re-appreciate what my most fundamental design preference has been all throughout my life: Simple and clean, so it definitely did look favorable to to. I still think the E is a nicer and more cunning car, but for my next car I want something clean and timeless in style (as nice as the W212 is, the jury is out as to how the sharp angularity, current-fashion-trends and "wound up" styling straits will age).

I do think the fact that Audi doesn't ***** their A6's out (not yet, at least) for almost Camry-esque Lease prices like M-B/BMW do with their E/5's, and keeps the MSRP apparently mostly intact, is its biggest "catch" against the E. You just don't see them so much, all over the place.

Probably a benefit to being under the VAG umbrella where the parent company doesn't live or die by Audi alone, therefore don't have to increase incentives therefore immediately plummeting resale value right away if the goings get tough.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
If I would replace my 2012 E350 it would be with a 2013 GLK350. I believe it rides better, has more comfortable seats and has a great backup camera with lines showing distance and direction. I would even say it handles better than my E and has less road noise. Drive one and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
If I would replace my 2012 E350 it would be with a 2013 GLK350. I believe it rides better, has more comfortable seats and has a great backup camera with lines showing distance and direction. I would even say it handles better than my E and has less road noise. Drive one and you will see what I'm talking about.
Although this thread has had its moments of hilarity, this last statement might not be as ridiculous as it seems at first blush.

Last month I bought a 2012 gas E350 Luxury. Last week, I took delivery of a 2013 GLK350. The GLK has more headroom, I am 6'2" with very short legs and a long torso. The seat gives you a higher seating position and in my opinion is more comfortable. The GLK definitely has far less road noise than the E350 and the tires are much quieter.

The GLK handling is more responsive, but may well have more body lean when pushed hard enough. It is obviously easier to park and to maneuver in tight situations. I do not have the rear-view camera so cannot comment on that. The GLK has a firmer ride and does have some of the same "bucking" characteristics as many SUV's although not as pronounced. All in all, a surprisingly comfortable road vehicle.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
I recently saw an A6 which I usually find painfully drab, in white and in S-LIne or whatever it's called, and it did look really good.
I seem to like black cars as much as you seem to prefer white.

The A6 with S-Line is very attractive - too bad you can't get the 19" rims with all season tires. You can order the 535xi M Sport with 19" all-reason tires - but you get run flats.

Nothing is perfect.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Haven't made a final decision but final 2 are looking like the A6 and 535xi.
have you considered cpo panamera instead ?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I had a GLK as a loaner once......thing is TINY inside!!! I could reach right to the backseat.......I felt like there was no room at all, true there was a lot of headroom....
but the thing felt soo small!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
If MB brings the Diesel GLK here, I would consider that. I have had GLKs for loaners, and I will say that IMO it is very buttoned down. The new interior refresh really brings the interior up to snuff. It now has the column mounted shift lever as in our Es. A nice interior re-do and a solid vehicle.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM

E350
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
2013 GLK350.
NO thanks.

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
have you considered cpo panamera instead ?
Just when I thought I objectively concluded the Panamera was not realistic - you hit me with this rationalization.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM

E350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
wow, that's suprisingly a lot of work man......6 cars today?
that's a lot of work!

thanx for the reviews....good luck
6 cars in an afternoon is easy. Now if I had to demo 6 washing machines, 6 refrigerators, or 6 new carpets - I think it would crush my skull.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Just when I thought I objectively concluded the Panamera was not realistic - you hit me with this rationalization.
the only problem is like what you said, it's so rare at where you live. you might need to get it elsewhere. but the drive back home will be rewarding .

6 cars in an afternoon is easy. Now if I had to demo 6 washing machines, 6 refrigerators, or 6 new carpets - I think it would crush my skull.
i'd rather deal with people in home depot than dealerships .
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM

E-class
panamera GTS. my number 1 choice. i need to get out of china and move back to the states first.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
don't you guys think the panamera look a little too..."unique" ? i know it's a better car but i'd rather put my money on a maserati.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has moved on from their E350?