E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer wrecked car (basicly), What do I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Dealer wrecked car (basicly), What do I do?

I bought my 2010 E550 less than 4 months ago and has been to the dealer 3 times to get the LR door actuator fixed. The car was ready yesterday and was supposed to be delivered to me but was not.
I received a call from the Service Manager informing me that my car was left on the service drive last night and a temporary fence had blown into my car denting the rear quarter panel and scratching rear door, fender and bumper. He estimated the damages at $2600.00 or $2800.00 cant remember.
I absolutely hate paint work and looked for a while before finding this car.
A low mileage CPO with no paint work in this color combination.
I am extremely particular with my cars.

I really don't want a car with paint work and diminished value when I sell it.
Dealer wrecked car (basicly), What do I do?-dsc01188.jpg
Any advise on how to handle this.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer wrecked car (basicly), What do I do?-dsc01192.jpg   Dealer wrecked car (basicly), What do I do?-dsc01190.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
yikes ! if you really can't live with some paint work, try to work with your dealer and have them look for another cpo for you. they have to find you something similar and offer you a great deal to compensate all the problems created by them. good luck !
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Let them fix it...I'm sure it won't show up in the Carfax or anything
The dealer wrecked my rear bumper on my GL350 and had it fixed without even telling us at first about what happened (in fact, they tried to hide it before giving it back to me without owning up to their mistake **cough cough Keyes European**). The bodywork is NOT on the car fax
Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Sometimes sh*t just happens. It's part of life.

It will not show up on CarFax, trust me. And they have no other legal liability beyond fixing the damage.

But you should pick the paint/body shop of your choosing through their insurance company. Don't settle for anything outside of it being your choice where the work should be done. You can also cut a deal with the manager for some discounted service in the future, etc.. It's really best not to scream at them and get all bent out of shape; after all they didn't do it on purpose. And if you be nice they should be nice in return.

Same thing happened to me years ago. I picked the repair shop of my choice (the best paint shop in Los Angeles that works primarily on Rolls Royce and Italian super cars.) They did a spectacular job and I also had an E Class free loaner for two weeks. Afterwards a paint meter couldn't even detect the work.

Nothing was ever reported anywhere and not CarFax either (it's not the same as a traffic accident; it's under comprehensive with insurance companies.)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
Originally Posted by amaycg
The dealer wrecked my rear bumper on my GL350 and had it fixed without even telling us at first about what happened (in fact, they tried to hide it before giving it back to me without owning up to their mistake **cough cough Keyes European**). The bodywork is NOT on the car fax

wow, that's shady. how did you find out about the bumper then?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by 220S
Sometimes sh*t just happens. It's part of life.

It will not show up on CarFax, trust me. And they have no other legal liability beyond fixing the damage.

But you should pick the paint/body shop of your choosing through their insurance company. Don't settle for anything outside of it being your choice where the work should be done. You can also cut a deal with the manager for some discounted service in the future, etc.. It's really best not to scream at them and get all bent out of shape; after all they didn't do it on purpose. And if you be nice they should be nice in return.

Same thing happened to me years ago. I picked the repair shop of my choice (the best paint shop in Los Angeles that works primarily on Rolls Royce and Italian super cars.) They did a spectacular job and I also had an E Class free loaner for two weeks. Afterwards a paint meter couldn't even detect the work.

Nothing was ever reported anywhere and not CarFax either (it's not the same as a traffic accident; it's under comprehensive with insurance companies.)

To ensure an excellent job insist on a MB certified body shop. You can check on the MBUSA website to find the ones in your area. Your dealer is associated with one as you will learn when you check the MBUSA website.

As 220S stated the color match should be undetectable. Our cars have extremely hard nano ceramic clear coat on them.

If you run your hand under the front valance you will find paint damage from the previous owner(s). You may ask as a courtesy to have that area refinished and painted if you are particular.

They will not give you a new car or another car.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Originally Posted by amaycg

i can see that from keyes, that is how they are, mostly a bunch of shady scum...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
This just sounds like a non-issue to me. An act of nature damaged your car and the dealer is offering to fix it. Sure it sucks, but, that same fence could have blown into your car while you were driving. I had a grocery cart get blown into my car once. Dented the drivers door pretty good. Stuff like this happens. Paint technology has come a long way. I think the car will look great once it is fixed. Keep in mind, since you purchased your car CPO, the previous owner ate most of the depreciation of your car. The impact to the value of your car will be negligible, probably nothing. You woud be surprised how many cars have dings and dents from the shipping process that get fixed at the port. Life is to short to let the little things get to you like this. If it really is going to bother you, just get another car.

Last edited by ImInPA; 12-21-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I'd take the advice given and have the dealer fix the vehicle with the condition they put you in a comparable E550 while you wait for your car so you don't end up with a crappy rental. Also make sure they have the work done at a MB certified shop. Life is too short.

The only way I'd demand another car is if this was a brand new car less than a week old.

If it takes them 2 weeks to fix your car, take their E550 on the cross country trip you've always wanted to take Just kidding, of course.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry to see the pics , good thing not a big accident but surely bothers . I am sure dealer's reputation is on the line and they will have to fix it anyway.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yep, just let them fix it and like others have said on this thread, try to make sure that a body shop certified by MB is used.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
good luck brother......that really sux, but good luck with the fix......
at least they are at fault......make sure to get a loaner you don't have to return full
Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
This appears to be very minor damage and should not affect future resale value if repaired properly. **** happens and there's not much we can do about it.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450
My wife scraped the entire side of our E320 a few years back, and the local dealer's contractor fixed it so well that you can't tell to this day!

You know what happens, sadly.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Sorry man... just get the dealer to fix it AND get you some free stuff for the trouble. Maybe a $500 Giftcard for a future benz purchase or some rubber mats.

I dunno.

But, question - how is that a rare CPO color? I have the exact same color in a 2010 CPO e550 as well...
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by pinipig523
Sorry man... just get the dealer to fix it AND get you some free stuff for the trouble. Maybe a $500 Giftcard for a future benz purchase or some rubber mats.

I dunno.

But, question - how is that a rare CPO color? I have the exact same color in a 2010 CPO e550 as well...

I also have the same model and color. Saw lots of them when searching for a low mileage CPO.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Have had three vehicles that required repainting. Hood and front bumper cover on one, front bumper cover on another and entire passenger side on another. None my fault. Regardless, I could not tell the difference after the work was done. When I traded, dealers could tell, but they really didn't care because work was so well done.
BTW, none of them showed up on Carfax.
Not sure how you can verify that paint work was not done on any used car, maybe even some new ones. Have seen CPO luxury cars at luxury dealers that had paintwork and more done per Carfax.
Good luck, but I would take it to best place I could (whether MB certified or not) and get dealer to give you consideration in the future. It's a car.