E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Water leak--anybody else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Water leak--anybody else?

When I wash my car-2012 E350-I find that there is water on the floor inside the car. It is always on the drivers side dripping down approx under the steering wheel into the foot well. What is more strange is that the exact same thing happens on my wife's 2013 GLK350.

Any one else having this problem or a fix? Hoping to get some info before I take cars to my dealer.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Does it happen in rain? If it is reproducable on other car I can assume that you spray under specific angle which issues the problem. Did you look under the hood to see if any water inside?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by greasykid
When I wash my car-2012 E350-I find that there is water on the floor inside the car. It is always on the drivers side dripping down approx under the steering wheel into the foot well. What is more strange is that the exact same thing happens on my wife's 2013 GLK350.

Any one else having this problem or a fix? Hoping to get some info before I take cars to my dealer.

One way to get water inside the car as you explain is use excessive water on the windshield area when washing the car. The air intakes below the windshield will take water inside the "air box". This box is where the blower pulls the air from to blow it inside the car. This box also has a drain at the bottom of it. The drain is not really big. I don't know what size in this car but probably not bigger than 8 mm hole with a tube running out of it.

If you have more water flowing in the box than the drain can handle for long enough time the box will over flow and guess what, it in most cars over flows inside the car just like you explain.

The drain can also get partially or totally plugged, which would result the same.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
crap, that's lame! what are you waiting for again?
OFF TO THE DEALER SIR!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes product
I'd definitlely look into this. Water drainage into the cabin can cause toxic mold growth--giving both a funky smell and irriation to your ears, nose, and throat. there is a known problem with the E class regarding this.

i would follow up regarding this very strongly. it is not normal for water to get inside the cabin.

good luck....and do not take any answer except "abnormal" as an answer. people can get extremely sick from mold from the interior of a car.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
water leak

Originally Posted by Grau E350
I'd definitlely look into this. Water drainage into the cabin can cause toxic mold growth--giving both a funky smell and irriation to your ears, nose, and throat. there is a known problem with the E class regarding this.

i would follow up regarding this very strongly. it is not normal for water to get inside the cabin.

good luck....and do not take any answer except "abnormal" as an answer. people can get extremely sick from mold from the interior of a car.
Appreciate responses. I am not doing anything different in the way that I have always washed my cars. As I am only 10 min away from my dealer if I see this again I will drive to dealer immediately so they can hopefully pin point the problem.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Check the sunroof drains.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (05-02-2022)
Old 12-25-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 130 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
These cars are not supposed to leak under any circumstances. If it leaks with just a simple wash imagine the water leakage in a big storm at 60mph.

Take both cars to the dealer. This is not normal.

Last edited by petee1997; 12-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM

S500
My S series leaked for the first time this weekend after a big rain. Can anyone tell me where the drain is located in the bottom of the air box.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by slick500
My S series leaked for the first time this weekend after a big rain. Can anyone tell me where the drain is located in the bottom of the air box.

I just had the leak on the passenger side after a car wash.
Does anybody have any info what the dealer does for this?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350 2009
Get the car sorted under warranty ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am currently in dispute with MBUK over a repair to a water leak on 2009 E350, (28k miles Full MB service history) just 2 months out of it's 3 year warranty.
The water had not permeated thro the carpet, just a "squidgy" noise when depressed. Inspection revealed the passenger floor was flooded. with the foam insulation absolutely soaked. Took the car to main dealer, expecting (Ha Ha) to have the repair done fully under goodwill.
After a full strip down, including a trip to their approved bodyshop,windscreen and front wing removal, it was found the leak was coming through the join at the bottom of the A pillar, an area concealed by the front wing and screen. I have photos of this,showing a lack of sealant in the joint. Main dealer and bodyshop verdict was the fault had been there from manufacture,and the water had been gradually trickling in over 3 years, with no means of escape. They also confirmed no crash repair damage and the original screen still fitted.
Total bill £3200, of which MBUK have paid what I consider a very ungenerous 50% under "goodwill". Had to pay main dealer £1600 to get my car back!!
Would be very interested for any info on whether this is a common problem, as I can at present see litigation in the next few months if I don't get some more cash out of MBUK.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yikes. People were reporting a similar problem when drains got clogged on W220's as I remember from when I had one.

I'd treat water leakage as something as paramount as rust. Definitely don't just sit on it. You shouldn't see even a spec of water leak seep into the cabin if you were doing triple digit speeds in a storm blasting in your oncoming direction, so especially not from a simple wash.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM

e350 coup
Originally Posted by Arrie
One way to get water inside the car as you explain is use excessive water on the windshield area when washing the car. The air intakes below the windshield will take water inside the "air box". This box is where the blower pulls the air from to blow it inside the car. This box also has a drain at the bottom of it. The drain is not really big. I don't know what size in this car but probably not bigger than 8 mm hole with a tube running out of it.

If you have more water flowing in the box than the drain can handle for long enough time the box will over flow and guess what, it in most cars over flows inside the car just like you explain.

The drain can also get partially or totally plugged, which would result the same.
I have 2010 E350 coup and today I noticed a puddle of water behind the passenger rear seat foot well. I vacuumed it out to find out after a few hours it pooled up again. Nowhere else was there any water. Not coming from the side windows, roof glass etc.. I hope this fix is covered under warrantee as I do think as you mentioned, may stem from an obstructed duct. What other possibilities could there be?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The A/C unit, which is almost always on even in winter, removes moisture from the air and it drains outside the car. That is the theory. I had a Dodge many years ago where the seal on the inner portion of A/C unit was defective and water drained onto passenger side.
Per manual for '10 E Class, supposed to engage recirculation if using an automatic car wash. Very difficult to do as it automatically disengages when car is turned off.
When I hand washed my car, I always engaged the recirculation and then made sure not to aim water at cowl opening at bottom of windshield.
Regardless, no car is supposed to leak! I had a Fiat convertible and an RX7 convertible and used automatic car washes for years on both. Neither one ever leaked.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:02 AM

Mercedes E350 Coupe
Hi, my wife has exactly the same problem, can I ask what you did to fix this
Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 c250 amg sport / 2012 c250 w204 amg sport

My car did the same .. I removed the windshield cowl and noticed the seal on cowl was bad and my windshield wasn’t properly sealed .. I went to local shop and bought some flex seal ,and sprayed a lot under windshield ... I also clean out water drains on both ends of windshield... I also noticed I had water under my fuse box and cabin filter box under the hood and vacuumed it out and put it all together and till this day I been good .... I went online and looked around when o noticed I’m missing a fuse cover (this could explain water under fuse box) water was coming from hood vent (duh) and leaking in car ... but your issue is your seal .. I’m most positive that’s the problem .. let me know your progress ...
Old 08-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 c250 amg sport / 2012 c250 w204 amg sport
Originally Posted by sarchisi
I have 2010 E350 coup and today I noticed a puddle of water behind the passenger rear seat foot well. I vacuumed it out to find out after a few hours it pooled up again. Nowhere else was there any water. Not coming from the side windows, roof glass etc.. I hope this fix is covered under warrantee as I do think as you mentioned, may stem from an obstructed duct. What other possibilities could there be?
Look under the hood ... locate the fuse box ... I’m most positive you have water under in there ... lol.... also look over under your cabin filter where your aux battery is .. if so you maybe looking to buy the same thing as me ... there’s a vent on the hood where water comes in from .... it fills both pockets up and when you pull off the momentum brings it back into car .. trust me I went through this for weeks till I figured it out .... if you getting water by your feet coming from under dash it’s your windshield seal ...
Old 01-07-2022, 06:11 PM

2014 E350
2014 E350; 4 matic windshield leak

I also have a leak in my car sometimes over the console,others over the visers,had dealer clean sunroof drains but still coming in I took garden hose directly over top of windshield and it leaked in so my windshield is one if not the main problem .Dealer won't repair out of warranty you would think these cars are better built for the price and prestige they hold so dear not even 40k no wrecks no windshield replacement unless done before I bought.The cheap wire mesh bottom grill kept falling out of my 2009🙄 Pretty sure this is my last Mercedes.My parking break broke also before 30k and cheap seat cover has a hole which was flaking when I bought.Impulse buy .But the car drive very well very smooth ride oh yes the clear coat is peeling on the trunk scoop or fin whatever it's called did not certify the car at 20k should have paid more attention sorry got off track needed to vent
Old 01-07-2022, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
troubleshooting with tape

Originally Posted by Joseph Odierno
I also have a leak in my car sometimes over the console,others over the visers,had dealer clean sunroof drains but still coming in I took garden hose directly over top of windshield and it leaked in so my windshield is one if not the main problem .Dealer won't repair out of warranty you would think these cars are better built for the price and prestige they hold so dear not even 40k no wrecks no windshield replacement unless done before I bought.The cheap wire mesh bottom grill kept falling out of my 2009🙄 Pretty sure this is my last Mercedes.My parking break broke also before 30k and cheap seat cover has a hole which was flaking when I bought.Impulse buy .But the car drive very well very smooth ride oh yes the clear coat is peeling on the trunk scoop or fin whatever it's called did not certify the car at 20k should have paid more attention sorry got off track needed to vent
you can tape over the area you suspect to be leaking then use plastic bottles or hose for testing
Old 01-08-2022, 09:26 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
2012 E63 Wagon
Another place to look. Appears as if the previous owner of mine had a water leak at the firewall through a wire harness grommet.
That was some expensive water..

Old 01-09-2022, 08:05 AM

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan, 2005 E500 4matic Wagon
My 13 550 leaks from the windshield. I put a piece of scotch tape across the top seam. ( there was a big rain event coming and I didn't have time) this stopped the leak. I left the tape there for a couple of days and condensation was forming in the center and center left seams, small spots about an inch long. The tape showed exactly where cabin air was venting from. I called my insurance company and the dude actually told me to throw a rock at my car to chip the glass. I might have tried this except for the "recorded for quality" part. I diluted some clear sealant and let it seep in where the tape was showing. No problems since.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dane500:
CaliBenzDriver (01-09-2022), juanmor40 (01-10-2022), pierrejoliat (01-09-2022), S-Prihadi (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
DAMN !!! these leaky things is worrying me
Under 20 years old Toyota's in our bad roads do not have leaky front windshield .

On yachts I maintained long time ago, when it hit 8 - 9 years old.... I deal with the very same issue. Leaky front windhshield and sometimes side ones too ( fixed type window ).
Well since yachts get hammered on big wave so hard and it is huge, being fiberglass and hence not a stiff and has to flex....the sealant gave up, micro opening occured.

A small 5 meter cars which should be stiff enough and in 10 years with potential leak is sad.
Is this flexing issue or sealant issue or both ?

Old 01-09-2022, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,449 Likes on 2,298 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
rain leak mitigation:

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
DAMN !!! these leaky things is worrying me
Under 20 years old Toyota's in our bad roads do not have leaky front windshield .

On yachts I maintained long time ago, when it hit 8 - 9 years old.... I deal with the very same issue. Leaky front windhshield and sometimes side ones too ( fixed type window ).
Well since yachts get hammered on big wave so hard and it is huge, being fiberglass and hence not a stiff and has to flex....the sealant gave up, micro opening occured.

A small 5 meter cars which should be stiff enough and in 10 years with potential leak is sad.
Is this flexing issue or sealant issue or both ?
I think regular leak testing should be done annually before water damages have a chance to cause troubles.

I am itching to wire a 9V battery sensors on each roof corner pillars.
I've used that to catch Jacuzzi leaks... then of course the 9V was flat when the leak happened

​​​​​

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-09-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:09 PM

2011 e-350 coupe
my leaking front headliner!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
you can tape over the area you suspect to be leaking then use plastic bottles or hose for testing
i will try that in the morning.
water drips down inside windshield and from center front headliner onto my console.
first thing i did was pour water down front drainage tubes perfectly.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:14 PM

2011 e-350 coupe
my leaking front headliner!

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
i will try that in the morning.
water drips down inside windshield and from center front headliner onto my console.
first thing i did was pour water down front drainage tubes perfectly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water leak--anybody else?