E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
View Poll Results: Which Grille Would You Prefer
Radiator Grille
60.66%
Star Grille
39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

This Forum needs an enema: If you got a '14 Facelift, which grille? RADIATOR or STAR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
This Forum needs an enema: If you got a '14 Facelift, which grille? RADIATOR or STAR?

I hadn't checked in here in months and the hostility from some people is breathtaking! Maybe it's Forum-boredome. I thought this would be a fun and interesting Poll to measure.

If you were to get a 2014 Facelift, and if MBUSA hopefully (and I think they will considering reading something about it in a Press Release) utilizes both grille packages, which would you prefer? The Classic Radiator Grille of the now more redundant and prevalent Sports grille?

My opinion: The Sports grille looks great on the SL, CLS, cars that were designed to fit around it (though now being on the entire fleet, the effect has been diluted some). Being on the W212 body looks haphazardly grafted on, IMO. As if it were forced on by the marketing team, just an awkward and almost "desperate" fit on the W212's design, which is very formally straight and angular all over, but then all of a sudden a cheekily round and forcibly "sporty" intended on the front, which to me just comes off as incoherent and almost goofy (via initial pics as a sample, of course), not to mention, somehow makes itself look dated. As for the new take on the "Luxury/Radiator Grille", IMO it looks good, but looks even better on the pre-facelift as the angular and hard cut just looks more aggressive in that appropriately stately-grinning manner and coherently fit to the W212 core design (new one looks nice, but a bit softer and friendlier, not as focused onto the core character of the car, IMO)

Thoughts?

Last edited by K-A; 01-17-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
Although I prefer the radiator grill, I'm not sure I like the under bumper treatment as well. If at time of purchase we are only given the choice of the star grill on the sport model, I would accept it assuming I stay with the E-Class. I like the refresh overall, but will look closely at a range of options when buying the next car.

Last edited by golfster; 01-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by golfster
Although I prefer the radiator grill, I'm not sure I like the under bumper treatment as well. If at time of purchase we are only given the choice of the star grill on the sport model, I would accept it assuming I stay with the E-Class. I like the refresh overall, but will look closely at a range of options when buying the next car.
Yeah that's true. My initial question revolved a bit around an unrealistic scenario pretending that you can get either grille on both aesthetic packages (Sport or Luxury). However, in real life, the Radiator grille unfortunately will only come on the Luxury models, therefore I'm sure many who do fundamentally prefer it, might go with the Sport anyway as though they might see E's interpretation of the Star grille as a step back, the rest of the package may be more enticing.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350
Anybody else kind of generally annoyed about the extent of the mid-cycle makeover? I think I felt my 2012 resale value drop by $5k.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Darbyva
Anybody else kind of generally annoyed about the extent of the mid-cycle makeover? I think I felt my 2012 resale value drop by $5k.
Yes. That action of M-B designers/managers doing such an "about face" to a design I like so much, considering for the premium they charge you'd assume they know how to "get it right" from the get-go and stand behind their designs (i.e not prematurely "aging" the pre-facelift by doing such an extensive facelift i.e making it look like they felt such extensive work was "NEEDED"), was just a monumental turn-off to me.

I think the pre-facelift looks so different than the facelift that those who intend to keep their pre-facelifts can rest assured they have the most coherent and "right" version of the W212, IMO (not the one that IMO looks like a marketing dept hack job to make it look overzealously "sportier" therefore in actuality just making it look at odds with itself), if they so see it that way. However, the general marketplace will very visibly notice the pre-facelift is the "old version", not to mention, many who won't know any better may think that from the front or even the sides the facelift is an all new model.... therefore resale of pre-facelifts I think may prematurely drop. A shame considering the car seems to be doing fine there right now as it has a seemingly bullet-proof reliability record.

It's a huge injustice to those who bought into a Premium brand who's entrusted to have enough foresight to design their cars to ensure a level of timelessness within the marketplace and enthusiast community alike.

//Rant.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
From the pics it def looks like the luxury sits a little lower than the sport. Interesting.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

2012 E350
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I couldn't agree more. Maybe in 10 years the "last of the 4-headlighters" will have some collector's value...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I couldn't agree more. Maybe in 10 years the "last of the 4-headlighters" will have some collector's value...

I really predict/think in like 4-10 years time (after the next generation E Class comes out) people will see the pre-facelift as the most togetherly-designed W212 and the facelift as kind of a "bandaid for the specific period of time".
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You need a "none of the above" option in your poll. I think there's way too much chrome surround on the radiator style grill (look at the very first pic you posted.) Neither look very good to me.

But I'm guessing that these grilles will be interchangeable. It looks like the chrome surround will cover that section of the hood that is 'bare' on the sport version. I don't see Daimler making two hoods for each grille. It just doesn't make sense in terms of production costs. There's no justification in producing two hoods for the W212. Plastic bumpers are a different issue, but I'm going to assume that these grilles will be interchangeable. The C Class has both star and radiator grilles but the body work is identical and both grilles can fit into the hood....
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
You need a "none of the above" option in your poll. I think there's way too much chrome surround on the radiator style grill (look at the very first pic you posted.) Neither look very good to me.

But I'm guessing that these grilles will be interchangeable. It looks like the chrome surround will cover that section of the hood that is 'bare' on the sport version. I don't see Daimler making two hoods for each grille. It just doesn't make sense in terms of production costs. There's no justification in producing two hoods for the W212. Plastic bumpers are a different issue, but I'm going to assume that these grilles will be interchangeable. The C Class has both star and radiator grilles but the body work is identical and both grilles can fit into the hood....
I agree. I think the new radiator grille looks too "cartoon-y" compared to the first one, namely due to the exaggeratedly large chrome and the rounder look maybe.

I don't think they'll be interchangeable without changing the bumpers actually. If you notice, the Sports grille has that now-typical "softnose" look with the big cutline running across the plastic from the bumper and the hood, and the Luxury grille has it where the bumper seems to start under the grille (like how it is now). I think the only way to swap them would be to swap the bumpers as well?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
I don't think they'll be interchangeable without changing the bumpers actually. If you notice, the Sports grille has that now-typical "softnose" look with the big cutline running across the plastic from the bumper and the hood, and the Luxury grille has it where the bumper seems to start under the grille (like how it is now). I think the only way to swap them would be to swap the bumpers as well?
I dunno but I don't see any difference between the bumper and the hood in the last two images you posted. The grilles are the only differences between the two. The chrome surround will cover the 'softnose' (with attachment from inside the hood like in the C Class.) I think it's just the large chrome surround of the radiator grille that makes it appear different. But the body work itself is the same. Anyway, that's the way I see it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
I dunno but I don't see any difference between the bumper and the hood in the last two images you posted. The grilles are the only differences between the two. The chrome surround will cover the 'softnose' (with attachment from inside the hood like in the C Class.) I think it's just the large chrome surround of the radiator grille that makes it appear different. But the body work itself is the same. Anyway, that's the way I see it.
Interesting. That would be pretty cool if they were easily interchangeable. A Sports model with the Luxury grille would be an interesting mix which you wouldn't see on the roads as OEM.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Shoots, I voted wrongly .
K-A , thanks for this poll though . When you said radiator grill I presumed you were referring to sports versions rather than Elegance ones . I am used to hood logo term rather than radiator logo and seriously star logo only refers to hood emblem ? I thought other way lol
This poll is kinda tricky and leads to confusion and I must say I was disconcerted at 1st glance because sport grill looked like was ahead which I thought should be a different story but truth later unfolded as it normally should
I don't have ability to edit my option so may be one of mods can do it for me if not please take cancel my vote and add it to hood emblem in this case radiator option
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM

2011 E350, 2004 911
It dropped alright. Yesterday I was window shopping at the local Porsche and BMW shops. My car was down 7K!!!!
I checked with a friend who has access to Black Book and was amazed (read PO'd) that the dealers were right on.

Cars are losing values so quickly in recent years. It's insane that one could lose 20K in two years. Then a manufacture offers rebates and that drops the value that much more. MB was offering a 4K incentive.

Right now I'm thinking Porsche. To my knowledge they don't offer incentives.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
One thing I like about my Luxury version of current W212 is that the grille actually has one more bar than the Sports. Reflects that traditional MB sedan appearance.
IMO, the "radiator" grille is more appropriate for sedans, e.g. C, E and S classes and maybe larger SUV's. Look at how many makes "adopted" the MB style grilles in the past.
However, I do not like the 2014 grille as much. Seems too small or too compressed or something. And the bottom section of front just does not fit - on either grille. Not as bad as new Lexus design though.
Good side is that the 2014's will make my 2010 with Luxury grille even more rare and distinctive (and more S like).
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM

2013 E350 4M Wagon & 2013 C350 4M Sedan
I like the luxury grill better on the sedans and wagons. There is nothing i hate more than a C-class with the elegance grill. It really cheapens the look. Thank god 99% of the ones around here are sport pack.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Luxury all the way...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
If you look closely, the radiator grill has the same hood design as the current E. However the sport grill has a hood design like the CLS. Look at the line where the hood ends on the sport.

As far as design goes, I think MB is catering to two different groups. The luxury model is very distinguishable from the Sport. The older customer base may prefer the look of more traditional Luxury model. For the younger crowd, I think the Sport would be more appealing.

It's all about marketing, trying to appeal to all age groups. Personally I think it's smart. BMW, has very little difference in exterior appearance between the sport and standard models.

This is the most significant facelift that I have seen. This should be great for sales. Many people want current model cars and will upgrade from their somewhat dated models.

Last edited by petee1997; 01-18-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM

2013 E350
I prefer the sport version. I think it looks cleaner, more modern, and um, sportier. However I do agree it makes the E look more like every other Mercedes.

I also think the bottom bumper section of the luxury version looks weird. But at least there are now 2 versions to choose from.

As far as the face lift issue, I personally don't think anyone but Mercedes fans will even notice the difference between 2010-13 vs 2014 W212's.. To the general public, you are still driving a new Mercedes. Unfortunately your resale value will be a differnent story. I'm glad I leased!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
You can keep them both,,,horrible.IMO CLS is next for me when they upgrade the command in the current model.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

2013 E350 4M Wagon & 2013 C350 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by petee1997
If you look closely, the radiator grill has the same hood design as the current E. However the sport grill has a hood design like the CLS. Look at the line where the hood ends on the sport.
They look the same to me, but the sport grill seems to have a color matched surround.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The more I look at them, the more I like them. I like both the Luxury and the Sport facelift. I am looking forward to seeing them in person. The only thing that has me puzzled with the new facelift is the choice of the 4-cyl. 190hp 2.1L diesel. It wil be great having 4Matic available, but, they make this same engine with 201-230hp and I think one of these versions would have been more appropriate for the US market. In any event, in the UK, with the 170hp version of this engine, using a slightly larger Imperial Gallon, the E is returning 57.8 mpg hwy and 30 city, combined 36. That bodes well for mpg in the 50 mpg range for US Spec. model. That would be amazing and I will be first in line for it.

Last edited by ImInPA; 01-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The more I look at them, the more I like them. I like both the Luxury and the Sport facelift. I am looking forward to seeing them in person. The only thing that has me puzzled with the new facelift is the choice of the 4-cyl. 190hp 2.1L diesel. It wil be great having 4Matic available, but, they make this same engine with 201-230hp and I think one of these versions would have been more appropriate for the US market. In any event, in the UK, with the 170hp version of this engine, using a slightly larger Imperial Gallon, the E is returning 57.8 mpg hwy and 30 city, combined 36. That bodes well for mpg in the 50 mpg range for US Spec. model. That would be amazing and I will be first in line for it.

I know man.. At first I hated the new facelift, but after looking at the pictures more, it kind of grew on me. Right now I am uncertain about it. I need to see more pics and better yet the actual car in person for me to really judge. The new headlights are really growing on me, but still sad to see the quad lights go.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
To me the lower grille would look better, at least on Luxury version, if it was mesh instead of bars curving up at the ends. Maybe even just straight bars. The curved ends just don't seem to fit as well.
Many may not have noticed it, but on the current W212, the lower bumper openings on Luxury and Sports version angled in different directions. Luxury is similar to angle on both now.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Ouch, the 2014 designs do not do it for me. I think the Star Grille looks better, but, I really like the 2010 - 2013 look versus the look of the 2014's - maybe this will last only 2 years and then they change to something much better? The only advantage I see is that the 2014s are going to drive the 2010 - 2013's down in price enough so I can probably trade up for one and not spend a lot of money

Also i hope MB revamps the HU soon and goes for a touch screen capable system.

Last edited by Nuru; 01-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This Forum needs an enema: If you got a '14 Facelift, which grille? RADIATOR or STAR?