Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Radio Issue- No Sound Sometimes

Hello ,
Sometimes when I turn my car on I cannot hear any audio ( whether i change it from radio, iPod, bluetooth etc) and the audio is not muted. It is not until I turn the car off/on after 5 mins when the audio comes on normally. Also Ive tried just turing off/on the command and still no audio, again this is only sometimes.

I recently got the command update(bluetooth audio),but can't say if I had this issue before since I've only owned the car about a month.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Kushp14
Hello ,
Sometimes when I turn my car on I cannot hear any audio ( whether i change it from radio, iPod, bluetooth etc) and the audio is not muted. It is not until I turn the car off/on after 5 mins when the audio comes on normally. Also Ive tried just turing off/on the command and still no audio, again this is only sometimes.

I recently got the command update(bluetooth audio),but can't say if I had this issue before since I've only owned the car about a month.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
This just happened to me yesterday, and I just recently got the command update as well. I tried to make a phone call and nothing as well. After about 10 min of driving and wondering, it just magically came back on, but ridiculously loud as I had been playing with everything and I couldn't tell the volume level (no volume level indicator at least that I have found). Fortunately I was stopped at a light at the time and was able to quickly turn it down.

I had assumed that it was because I was on the phone and shut the car off and picked up the phone and walked out. Thought the radio got stuck in bluetooth muted state or something. How many times has it happened to you? A one time glitch is one thing, especially if it is related to the phone. However, if it happens again, or if others are seeing the same thing I'll have to take it back in.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Yeah we're having the same issues. This has happened about 4 times after I got the update done. Although I haven't heard any other MY10 owners that had the command update have this issue.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Alright, I am convinced... I have to go in for a separate minor issue anyway so I'll just push this up and have them take a look. to be honest, since the update is so new, I'll bet they haven't heard of this and they won't do anything, but at least I'll have it checked out.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Noticed shortly after the update that the same thing happened to me. Audio worked fine for several days and then one day did not come on no matter what function I selected and even turning system on and off. Then restarted car and worked fine. About a week later, a horrible howling sound when I started, but changed station and it went away. Later, no sound when started car, but changed to another station and other functions and all worked fine. In that case, I think station was off air as it was only thing effected. No problems in over a month now though.
BTW, haven't really noticed any changes on the display.
Be nice to know what is happening.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by El Cid
Noticed shortly after the update that the same thing happened to me. Audio worked fine for several days and then one day did not come on no matter what function I selected and even turning system on and off. Then restarted car and worked fine. About a week later, a horrible howling sound when I started, but changed station and it went away. Later, no sound when started car, but changed to another station and other functions and all worked fine. In that case, I think station was off air as it was only thing effected. No problems in over a month now though.
BTW, haven't really noticed any changes on the display.
Be nice to know what is happening.
Glad to hear it hasn't happened to you in a while , maybe it will only occur for a certain time ?!
I also haven't seen any display changes with the update.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Alright, I am convinced... I have to go in for a separate minor issue anyway so I'll just push this up and have them take a look. to be honest, since the update is so new, I'll bet they haven't heard of this and they won't do anything, but at least I'll have it checked out.
Yeah hopefully they won't ignore it and give us a lame excuse. Hope there is a reason for this.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Hello ,

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

There is a lot of discussion about Comand update and mute audio in this forum. If you pay attention you will notice that all audio is out including the warning "dings" etc. that the car makes when the radio does not work. It may say "Device not available" if you select satellite radio.

The problem is the Comand update. You need to have your dealer to revert the software back to a previous version, not the original that you had in the car but to another earlier update before the last version.

That will fix it.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-19-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie
There is a lot of discussion about Comand update and mute audio in this forum. If you pay attention you will notice that all audio is out including the warning "dings" etc. that the car makes when the radio does not work. It may say "Device not available" if you select satellite radio.

The problem is the Comand update. You need to have your dealer to revert the software back to a previous version, not the original that you had in the car but to another earlier update before the last version.

That will fix it.
Interesting, I didn't notice the warning sounds being out. Also interesting because the reason they updated it is only because my radio was acting funny. The volume would increase (and ofter go back down in a couple seconds) when it is not supposed to, like at a stop light or when I am slowing down on the highway. It would also change correctly, as I get on the highway etc. The update did not appear to fix my volume problem, and it appears to have made things worse. Anyone know what the update does or is supposed to fix?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads

That will fix it.
Is this the fix ?
Bulletin LI54.10-P-051049 "may" be applicable in that value transmitted by the battery sensor to the rear SAM is too low causing consumers (i.e.: COMAND, etc.) to intermittently shut off - recommends using diagnosis in SAM to read out actual voltage transmitted by battery sensor to SAM comparing it with voltage measured directly at battery using multimeter. If a difference > 1V is measurable, battery sensor must be replaced.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Interesting, I didn't notice the warning sounds being out. Also interesting because the reason they updated it is only because my radio was acting funny. The volume would increase (and ofter go back down in a couple seconds) when it is not supposed to, like at a stop light or when I am slowing down on the highway. It would also change correctly, as I get on the highway etc. The update did not appear to fix my volume problem, and it appears to have made things worse. Anyone know what the update does or is supposed to fix?
The update was mainly for bluetooth streaming and other minor fixes for nav in MY2010
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
The update was for bluetooth streaming and other minor fixes for nav
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
this is something i think most of the dealers will give out the same answer, "cannot duplicate problem". this happened to me a few times, after sw updated. i simply turned off the comand and turned it back on after a few minutes. problem solved.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
this is something i think most of the dealers will give out the same answer, "cannot duplicate problem". this happened to me a few times, after sw updated. i simply turned off the comand and turned it back on after a few minutes. problem solved.
Do you mean to say problem isn't that big of a deal to me or issue ignored, right? If the audio (not just the radio) doesn't work in my car for 10-15 minutes, waiting for it to start working again doesn't make for a solution to the problem. The problem is still there. This may not be an issue to some, but it surely is to me and I expect many others as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is this the fix ?
Bulletin LI54.10-P-051049 "may" be applicable in that value transmitted by the battery sensor to the rear SAM is too low causing consumers (i.e.: COMAND, etc.) to intermittently shut off - recommends using diagnosis in SAM to read out actual voltage transmitted by battery sensor to SAM comparing it with voltage measured directly at battery using multimeter. If a difference > 1V is measurable, battery sensor must be replaced.

I don't think this has anything to do with the battery sensor and SAM. In my car the COMAND never shut OFF. It stayed ON but without sound. And when I went to satellite radio it said "Device not available".

The fix was to load an older software in the system. This was a software version before the latest one, not the original that came with the car. Completrely fixed the issue and I have Bluetooth streaming.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
This worries me , mostly because there isn't a known reason why and may not be a fix.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 AM

I don't think this has anything to do with the battery sensor and SAM. In my car the COMAND never shut OFF. It stayed ON but without sound. And when I went to satellite radio it said "Device not available".

The fix was to load an older software in the system. This was a software version before the latest one, not the original that came with the car. Completrely fixed the issue and I have Bluetooth streaming.
This is what I saw as well, COMMAND was still on, and shutting it of and turning it back on again did nothing that I could tell.

At least there is a good indication that they know where to look to fix the problem. How long have you been running trouble free with the new - backed out latest change - version?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The SAM may be preventing the amplifier to turn on until the "low voltage state" is remedied, which will happen after several minutes of driving and the alternator charging the battery. This sounds like it could be the answer.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Do you mean to say problem isn't that big of a deal to me or issue ignored, right? If the audio (not just the radio) doesn't work in my car for 10-15 minutes, waiting for it to start working again doesn't make for a solution to the problem. The problem is still there. This may not be an issue to some, but it surely is to me and I expect many others as well.
i agree with you. my point is most dealers will play dumb on something like this.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i agree with you. my point is most dealers will play dumb on something like this.
Yes, yes, I agree with that! I can understand someone saying MB hasn't figured that one out yet. The way they tend to put it (or at least make me feel) is we couldn't reproduce it so we don't believe you.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is what I saw as well, COMMAND was still on, and shutting it of and turning it back on again did nothing that I could tell.

At least there is a good indication that they know where to look to fix the problem. How long have you been running trouble free with the new - backed out latest change - version?

Since 10/25/12.

See thread "2010 E350 COMMAND SYSTEM MALFUNCTIONS"

Last edited by Arrie; 01-20-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Smile

So I dropped the car off and told the tech about the service bulletin , he said backdating SDAR may cause me to loose bluetooth audio. Kind of worried, I definitely do not want to loose bluetooth audio.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 01-22-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I dropped the car off and told the tech about the service bulletin , he said backdating SDAR may cause me to loose bluetooth audio. Kind of worried, I definitely do not want to loose bluetooth audio.

I did not loose it but I was prepared to accept this over the problem having no audio quite frequently.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
I did not loose it but I was prepared to accept this over the problem having no audio quite frequently.
Yeah I understand , mine is rarely but still annoying. If you we're able to keep it I should be okay. I don't see how one could loose it and another wouldn't.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Got it back today, dealer fixed according to the service bulletin.
(Kept bt audio) Hopefully this permanently fixes it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radio Issue- No Sound Sometimes