E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Audio Video - 2010 E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
Audio Video - 2010 E Class

After having the Itronics video in motion / bluetooth system in my SL500, I wanted to explore the audio-video options available for my recently purchased 2010 E550.

After some research through the web and great posts from the Mercedes discussion groups here’s what I ended up doing to take advantage of the E550 technology:

- To enable the car to play videos while driving, I purchased the video in motion adapter through Naviks off of ebay. Links for the item and installation instructions are below. The installation wasn’t too different from the video, although it took me about an hour in that I didn’t want to damage any connectors and found the toughest part was getting all of the cabling / new harness tucked in behind the radio again.

- To enable the COMAND unit to receive Bluetooth app (e.g. Pandora) streamed from smartphone, I did the Engineering mode modification listed below.

- To utilize the built in PCMCIA / SD card slot, I purchased an SD HC Card Adapter Converter for Mercedes Benz PCMCIA Command System and UPSanDisk 8GB SD High Capacity Card on Amazon. I’ve noticed that MP4 files often cause the player to stop and forward to the next track. No issue with playing MP3 files

I’ve not found a way to play videos from a source other than the dvd changer. It would be great to be able to play via the IPOD connector.

***** Video inMotion Links *****

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C207-W212-E350-E550-E63-2010-2013-Video-In-Motion-/261167815247?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Model%3AE550&hash=item3cced09a4f&vxp=mtr

***** BluetoothEngineering Mode Modification *****

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/330431-does-anyone-know-any-cool-hacks-new-e-class.html

- End Call + # + 1:opens Engineering Mode
- HW Settings
- HU Parameter
(the following are the settings I put them in)
(1) BT contact plate: Not Installed
(2) LCT: Installed
(3) BT audio: On
(4) Audio Aux: Off (greyed out: not an option)
(5) Video Aux: Off
(6) Navi: installed
(7) BT: on

- Back button x3
- Pull command wheel down
- System reset
- Reset - yes

- go to audio, then go to the audio tab again to bring up the drop down menu ofaudio options, select BT audio and activating audio device comes up, then theaudio streaming screen

***** SD HC Card Adapter Converter for Mercedes Benz PCMCIA Command System *****

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Mercedes-PCMCIA-Command/dp/B00AX0OURQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362566797&sr=8-2&keywords=SD+HC+Card+Adapter+Converter+for+Mercedes+Benz+PCMCIA+Command+System"><span style=http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Mercedes-PCMCIA-Command/dp/B00AX0OURQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362566797&sr=8-2&keywords=SD+HC+Card+Adapter+Converter+for+Mercedes+Benz+PCMCIA+Command+System" /> http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Mercedes-PCMCIA-Command/dp/B00AX0OURQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362566797&sr=8-2&keywords=SD+HC+Card+Adapter+Converter+for+Mercedes+Benz+PCMCIA+Command+System">http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Mercedes-PCMCIA-Command/dp/B00AX0OURQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362566797&sr=8-2&keywords=SD+HC+Card+Adapter+Converter+for+Mercedes+Benz+PCMCIA+Command+System
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
thanks very much for the write up ! i have a similar pcmcia adapter but can only play up to 2gb. i didn't buy that. it's been sitting around in my drawer for years . hope yours can hold bigger sd card like what amazon said.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
great reference post. I went with using a USB stick to hold my music vs the pcmcia. I have a 32gb flash drive hooked up and it is great. MP4 files don't play on mine either but MP3 works great.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 AM

SL500
I (think I) had read the COMAND storage limit for SD was 8Gb so that's the size I went for. Seems to be working fine.

A couple of additional notes on the bluetooth "stuff". I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S III - which reconnects fine. The phone is the "master" and the comand unit merely plays out what the phone sends. No real controls on the comand unit. I read that Iphones might not be as easy. I'll test on my wife's iphone this weekend.

Also, I had read another set of posts and was confused with a COMAND upgrade that would enable bluetooth. I took the car in and the dealer indicated that there was no firmware upgrade to do what I wanted. But, for $299, they would install a bluetooth module which then would require an update to the COMAND firmware. I opted to pass and try the engineering mode option first. I'm speculating that in some instances, with some phones, that might be ok, but other phones may need the additional communication functionality of the "module".... I would hope you also get some level of A2DP controls from the COMAND side.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Great write-up!

As for the command update, it certainly exists. After some light discussion I was able to get my dealer to update my 2010 E550 Command software. I came to them with a diagnosable "problem" vs asking for bluetooth support. I went into the engineering menu, enabled the bluetooth audio. It works, but it's very difficult to use and defeats the phone integration. I demonstrated that to the dealer, they happily upgraded. Now I get the controls you speak of, track +/-, name and artists. No module was required beyond the built in bluetooth.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM

SL500
Thanks for the additional info Ryan. Do you know what firmware version your car is at?
Trying to remember but thought mine might be at 10.xxx and read something to the effect of the bluetooth functionality happening when taking it to 11.xxx

That's when I took the car to the dealer / they came back to me and indicated that "without the module" 10.xxx is up to date, and there wasn't anything further to do...

I can call them and press the point. They've been super helpful over the past 3 years in working with them. Maybe it's education on their part?!?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM

2010 E550
Question

Originally Posted by RyanRice
Great write-up!

As for the command update, it certainly exists. After some light discussion I was able to get my dealer to update my 2010 E550 Command software. I came to them with a diagnosable "problem" vs asking for bluetooth support. I went into the engineering menu, enabled the bluetooth audio. It works, but it's very difficult to use and defeats the phone integration. I demonstrated that to the dealer, they happily upgraded. Now I get the controls you speak of, track +/-, name and artists. No module was required beyond the built in bluetooth.
Ryan, thanks for the post.
Question: does your Comand show artist and track info when streaming BT audio? Is it only for music on your phone, or does it work also for Pandora/Spotify also?
Thanks, John
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM

2010 E550
HI db 2001,
Thanks for the post. Do you have any other info on the engineering mode controls? After my 2010 E550 was updated for the BT audio, the CD player started inserting a pause in-between consecutive tracks. A pause that is not on the CD itself. I'm hoping there is some setting I can adjust to allow continuous playback, as was present before the upgrade.
Thanks, John
Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM

SL500
Hi John -
Did you have to pay for your bluetooth upgrade? Did the dealership indicate there was a module associated with the process or simply firmware?

As my car is right now (without BT Audio upgrade) with only the engineering mode edit, I have no functioning controls on the comand unit.
It shows the pause / play controls but they are in perpetual pause mode - which doesn't seem to affect the streaming at all.
David
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by db2001
Hi John -
Did you have to pay for your bluetooth upgrade? Did the dealership indicate there was a module associated with the process or simply firmware?

As my car is right now (without BT Audio upgrade) with only the engineering mode edit, I have no functioning controls on the comand unit.
It shows the pause / play controls but they are in perpetual pause mode - which doesn't seem to affect the streaming at all.
David
Hi Dave,
There was no charge for the update, and no additional hardware was installed. My streaming sound is fine, but all the screen says is "Audio Transmission Active". I change change tracks with the console puck, and the screen will say "Track +1" or +2, or whatever number of times I turn the puck. There is no artist or track info on the screen.
Using an iPhone 4S. Streaming Pandora, Spotify, or iTunes playlists all works the same.
I can live with the lack of information, but the CD gaps are driving me nuts. Prior to the update the CD played perfectly, good sound and no gaps between tracks. Now there are gaps with the track change. There must be some firmware or software setting I (or the dealer) can access to rectify this. I'm taking in to them tomorrow so they can see just what I mean, but my expectations for resolution are rather low.
Thanks, John