E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Run-Flats - just trash 'em

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 BlueTEc
Run-Flats - just trash 'em

I swapped out the OEM Crapyear run-flats for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s. What a different. Much less tire drone. And the car now tracks straight as an arrow instead of constant tiny corrections from a run-flat's fundament inability to track a straight line. Well worth the money, even if I do end up keeping the car for only the 2 years I have it leased for.

Now if Michelin would only make non-runflats in the size I need for my Corvette.....

Speaking of leasing a question....a friend of mine that is in the process of turning in his leased BMW told me that BMW was going to penalize him if he didn't return the car with run-flats since that was original equipment specs for that model. Something about BMW would not let them CPO the car if it didn't have run-flats on it (didn't have to be OEM, just run-flats in the correct size). Is this true for Mercedes as well? I was hoping to recoup some of what I just spent for the new Michelins by selling the Crapyears since they only have 750 miles on them, but I am wondering if I need to keep them and swap them back on before I turn the car in. Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited by snakeslayer; 04-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
The reason you need to return the BMW with run flats is that the car doesn't have a spare in the trunk.

Originally Posted by snakeslayer
I swapped out the OEM Crapyear run-flats for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s. What a different. Much less tire drone. And the car now tracks straight as an arrow instead of constant tiny corrections from a run-flat's fundament inability to track a straight line. Well worth the money, even if I do end up keeping the car for only the 2 years I have it leased for.

Now if Michelin would only make non-runflats in the size I need for my Corvette.....

Speaking of leasing a question....a friend of mine that is in the process of turning in his leased BMW told me that BMW was going to penalize him if he didn't return the car with run-flats since that was original equipment specs for that model. Something about BMW would not let them CPO the car if it didn't have run-flats on it (didn't have to be OEM, just run-flats in the correct size). Is this true for Mercedes as well? I was hoping to recoup some of what I just spent for the new Michelins by selling the Crapyears since they only have 750 miles on them, but I am wondering if I need to keep them and swap them back on before I turn the car in. Anyone have any info on this?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM

E350 BlueTEc
Originally Posted by BenzE350
The reason you need to return the BMW with run flats is that the car doesn't have a spare in the trunk.
So then I assume the same thing applies for me, as Diesels have no spare either, hence the reason for them having run-flats in the first place.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
My car has Pirelli P-Zero Runflats which are apparently new to the 5-Series M Sports starting in 2013, and are getting pretty solid reviews, considering they're Runflats, by the "tire crowd". I actually have no complaints toward them, but I have no idea how the car would feel without them, i.e how much is attributed to over-compinsation by a well executed suspension to drown out inherent harshness from Runflats.

My NON Runflat Pirelli P-Zero's on my first (2010) W212 were insanely harsh on that car. I just think the sportily natured tires were a very bad match for that suspension/chassis or something.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
If Run flats were that good they could use them in LE MANS 24 HOURS .I asked a Michelin Official in Le Mans why they didn't make run-flats instead of conventional tires in prototype class and he said they were impractical and weighted heavier than regular tires
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Runflats

Originally Posted by snakeslayer
So then I assume the same thing applies for me, as Diesels have no spare either, hence the reason for them having run-flats in the first place.
Yes EVERYTHING must be oem
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Huh, I don't mind the runflats at all.

But I am not driving around like Hamilton or Alonzo, I am a regular guy who drives like a regular guy.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
So found out today have nail in my runflats causing a slow leak. 22k on them. Dealer wanted to order a replacement runflat but also suggested replacing 2 with the Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I actually decide to order 2 Continental PureContacts which will be in next week. Going to put the "good" RFL on a cheap rim at some point and just keep for an emergency in the garage. A little skeptical of running 2 different types of tires on the car but service advisor and mechanic convinced me it was OK and not worth throwing away 3 good RFLs. We will see how it goes, i foresee flipping out the other axle at some point too.

Question for those who already switched. Do you keep the green slime with you in case of flat or will you just call roadside assistance if you get a flat and no spare?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM

E350 BlueTEc
Dealer said no issue turning in the car with michelins and they bought the crapyears from me.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
...Question for those who already switched. Do you keep the green slime with you in case of flat or will you just call roadside assistance if you get a flat and no spare?
For my wife's BMW when it happens we plan to use roadside. For emergencies or out of roadside range we carry a compact air compressor ($7.50 at Harbor Freight) and a plug kit. I think the whole run flat scenario needs to be revisited by manufacturers. There needs to be some sort of spare option. The collapsible spares by Vredestein seem the best option to me but they are expensive.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM

E350 BlueTEc
Originally Posted by mleskovar
For my wife's BMW when it happens we plan to use roadside. For emergencies or out of roadside range we carry a compact air compressor ($7.50 at Harbor Freight) and a plug kit. I think the whole run flat scenario needs to be revisited by manufacturers. There needs to be some sort of spare option. The collapsible spares by Vredestein seem the best option to me but they are expensive.
100% agree. I'd actually pay extra to not have them, I hate them that bad.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Took my non runflat snow tires off today and put the Turanza's back on.

Sorry, I just don't notice a difference in handling or ride.

So maybe they're a little heavier and a little more expensive than regular tires, but the benefits outweigh the cost, at least for me.