E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

trunk spoiler

Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
trunk spoiler

Hi guys. I'm a new user and I'm looking to purchase a rear trunk spoiler for my 2010 E350. After searching and reading the forum, I see some have purchased from Jbspeed and see others have purchased from a Taiwan company on ebay. I have a local auto company that can order one and paint it for me @ $320. My concern when purchasing is the big difference in price. Are the cheaper priced internet spoilers the same quality as the one the local company is selling me? Maybe its just economics....local guy can't beat the internet. Any opinions or experiences that you can share to help me in my decision?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
IMHO I would go with the local guy to ensure the paint matches exactly.

I've seen that there are sometimes issues with aftermarket parts where the paint dye lots are slightly off, then it just looks ... aftermarket. And I would think that you would want the colors to match exactly.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Hi mr.brian.morris. I just purchased one off of Ebay and Im having it installed today along with the rear window spoiler. The quality appears top notch and the color seemed to match perfectly but I will wait for a sunny day to confirm. The body shop did ask if it was OEM because it dry fitted perfecty. It did take about 3 weeks from Taiwan. Samking has a point about wear and fade over time. It does have primer, 3 coats color, and clear coat. I figured at this price it was worth it. PM me if you want the info and price i paid. I hope to take some pics this weekend if it decides to stop raining here in Mass.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
Trunk Spolier

I ordered a rear spoiler from JB Speed against my better judgement, but it actually is pretty nice. The color match (silver) is good and so far it is holding up well.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM

e350
Really appreciate all the info. I've actually emailed JB Speed and the guy stale bread used. I'll continue to read the opinions here and await responses on eBay to some of my inquiries. What I'm finding is that most these parts are from Taiwain, no matter who you order from. Paint quality will probably be the deciding factor.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i ordered mine from ebay and don't have any issue at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM

e350
From who BM?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i don't remember the seller's name but i think it's shipped from taiwan. fairly quick shipping and reasonable price.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Sport White on black
I should have purchased an after market. Because yesterday while I was washing and waxing my car I noticed my trunk spoiler coming off. On each end the double sided tape never held. I took it to the dealer (MBZ San Diego) and the service person (no mechanics on duty today) told me to go to the store and buy double sided tape and do it myself. I said, that the car has 8K miles on it and its under warranty and for them to fix it. She went back twice to talk to somebody and came back and told me to come back next week. What kind of customer service is that! The tool on duty gave me a card to a body shop and have them order and place it on. I told him, I will back on Tuesday and have them do it, since it is under warranty. I remember a few years ago when the service reps wore suites/ties and came running out of their office to help the customer. This time some high school kid walked up and had no idea what to do (since she had to walk back to the service rep three times). Did sequestration hit MBZ hard too since they had to cut back on qualified reps?
Everyday I finding new low quality items on my car and wonder where else they took shortcuts to save money and still raise prices to the customer.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 PM

2010 E550
The sun finally came out today and I will tell you the spoilers are installed and have a really good fitment. Like I PM'd Morris just now I must admit they appear a shade darker than the trunk paint when I stand above them. MY GF and buddy Matt did not notice, but I tend to be a perfectionist. My car is '10 so maybe the sun in Cape Cod might have something to do with it? It doesnt bother me at all, but I want to to inform other members. Overall, a great look.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 AM

2010 E550
[QUOTE=maguzma;5659403]I should have purchased an after market. Because yesterday while I was washing and waxing my car I noticed my trunk spoiler coming off. On each end the double sided tape never held. I took it to the dealer (MBZ San Diego) and the service person (no mechanics on duty today) told me to go to the store and buy double sided tape and do it myself. I said, that the car has 8K miles on it and its under warranty and for them to fix it. She went back twice to talk to somebody and came back and told me to come back next week. What kind of customer service is that! The tool on duty gave me a card to a body shop and have them order and place it on. I told him, I will back on Tuesday and have them do it, since it is under warranty. I remember a few years ago when the service reps wore suites/ties and came running out of their office to help the customer. This time some high school kid walked up and had no idea what to do (since she had to walk back to the service rep three times). Did sequestration hit MBZ hard too since they had to cut back on qualified reps?
Everyday I finding new low quality items on my car and wonder where else they took shortcuts to save money and still raise prices to the customer. /QUOTE]

That was poor customer service from the "advisor' you met with. I understand that dealers may use outside body shops for repairs. To thecent, it should appear to be seemless unless you are requesting "add-ons" or modifications. This was a flaw from the factory and you should not be inconvenienced in the slightest and should be offered a loaner during the repair. You should mention this to the Service Manager. I've had nothing but excellent service from BMW, and I expect the same with my new Mercedes purchase.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 AM

e350
Originally Posted by stale-bread
The sun finally came out today and I will tell you the spoilers are installed and have a really good fitment. Like I PM'd Morris just now I must admit they appear a shade darker than the trunk paint when I stand above them. MY GF and buddy Matt did not notice, but I tend to be a perfectionist. My car is '10 so maybe the sun in Cape Cod might have something to do with it? It doesnt bother me at all, but I want to to inform other members. Overall, a great look.
I PM'd you back.....but I bet if you ask 100 people to look at it, no one will think it's a different color but you. LOL ...It's what we do---we stare at it from different angles, sleep on it, put a flash light on it, etc. Test the theory and ask more buddies....two of three didn't notice
Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 AM

e350
Originally Posted by maguzma
I should have purchased an after market. Because yesterday while I was washing and waxing my car I noticed my trunk spoiler coming off. On each end the double sided tape never held. I took it to the dealer (MBZ San Diego) and the service person (no mechanics on duty today) told me to go to the store and buy double sided tape and do it myself. I said, that the car has 8K miles on it and its under warranty and for them to fix it. She went back twice to talk to somebody and came back and told me to come back next week. What kind of customer service is that! The tool on duty gave me a card to a body shop and have them order and place it on. I told him, I will back on Tuesday and have them do it, since it is under warranty. I remember a few years ago when the service reps wore suites/ties and came running out of their office to help the customer. This time some high school kid walked up and had no idea what to do (since she had to walk back to the service rep three times). Did sequestration hit MBZ hard too since they had to cut back on qualified reps?
Everyday I finding new low quality items on my car and wonder where else they took shortcuts to save money and still raise prices to the customer.
I like and use my local MB dealer in Fayetteville, NC..."although," I'd drive to Cary, NC for superior service. The knowledge in Fay seems to be substandard compared to Cary. Cary wants the market so bad, that they will drive here an hour to pick up my car, take it to Cary, and bring it back. I drove to Wilmington, NC to purchase my car because the prices were thousands cheaper...like $3-$5K. As for the items on the car--it's like Harley. I used to buy all Harley items thinking they were superior...then I found (for ex) that V&H made Harley Screaming Eagle pipes..just put a different stamp on it...and the list goes on and on. I'm sure my MB all weather mats could have been ordered from ebay without the MB emblem and they were made by the same manufacturer, for ex. Same with the spoilers, rims, etc.

And please don't say the "S" word!! My 11 days of furlough will start soon unless something changes AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mrbrian.morris
I like and use my local MB dealer in Fayetteville, NC..."although," I'd drive to Cary, NC for superior service. The knowledge in Fay seems to be substandard compared to Cary. Cary wants the market so bad, that they will drive here an hour to pick up my car, take it to Cary, and bring it back. I drove to Wilmington, NC to purchase my car because the prices were thousands cheaper...like $3-$5K. As for the items on the car--it's like Harley. I used to buy all Harley items thinking they were superior...then I found (for ex) that V&H made Harley Screaming Eagle pipes..just put a different stamp on it...and the list goes on and on. I'm sure my MB all weather mats could have been ordered from ebay without the MB emblem and they were made by the same manufacturer, for ex. Same with the spoilers, rims, etc.

And please don't say the "S" word!! My 11 days of furlough will start soon unless something changes AGAIN.
good service in Cary?? what are you smokin'?? LOL
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM

e350
Don't like Cary, huh? Lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mrbrian.morris
Don't like Cary, huh? Lol.
I have gotten all my cars there (3, currently have 2)
and while I like my salesman very much (Richard) I feel the service and boutique departments could really use some better service. The techs are great however as I have spoken with many of them.
Cary is currently undergoing the AMG revamp I think; AMG certified service center, more AMG's in the store etc.....
I am apparently having the first W2224M delivered in November too, so that makes 4
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM

e350
I know Bob Mcguire, a salesman there. I think I should have clarified about liking the dealership....I believe their techs are more knowledgable. Fayetteville seems to not have the best guys working on MB. I've taken a MB to Fay multiple times for the same problem where Cary would normally diagnose quicker. Oh.....and I just placed a bid on ebay for the trunk/roof spoiler. I went with stale-bread's guy since he was nice enough to email me pictures of his car...looks really nice

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I have gotten all my cars there (3, currently have 2)
and while I like my salesman very much (Richard) I feel the service and boutique departments could really use some better service. The techs are great however as I have spoken with many of them.
Cary is currently undergoing the AMG revamp I think; AMG certified service center, more AMG's in the store etc.....
I am apparently having the first W2224M delivered in November too, so that makes 4