E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

bottomed out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
Bob, you sound like a nice and humble guy and had my back when some of the Drama Queens here couldn't handle my "switch" thread. We all do dumb things and best we can do.... rather, our duty is to be thankful that nobody was hurt and then *learn from* and correct our mistakes for the better future. I've hit some bumps in my car that made me want to cry like a little girl because I'd hate for anything, especially the cars structural integrity to be compromised at all due to the ravaged roads that our first-world Country is incapable of upkeepking (says a lot about where our Tax dollars go, also says a lot about the culture of quality and human skill set or lack thereof behind our Countries infrastructure.... it's interesting when even corrections are paved wrongly by the incapable human beings behind the job, making it even more damaging to a car).

I'm sure nothing is wrong. If you're really paranoid, take it to a mechanic and have them look thoroughly at the suspension, chassis, and all that stuff down there that can be affected.

More importantly, make it a point never to be on the phone while in the car if you aren't on the built in Bluetooth. Also make it a point to never take your focus off the road no matter what. Understand that it's all our responsibilities to do this and anyone sharing the roads with you or I has every reason to want to bite our heads off if we're on the phone while driving, not paying attention for whatever reason, driving too fast, etc. Lives are lost and/or ruined due to such common and simple mistakes, overlooks and ignorance.

I have to remind myself of this every time I do something dumb (which is a lot) and am fortunate enough to have the ability to learn from for future reference.
Got yo back DAWG! That 5 series is SEXY AF!!! And i have turned on the bluetooth and now only use the hands free, Never again will i not pay attention to the road. I dont think anything went wrong with the car,but i want to go to the dealer to get it checked out, but im a bit afraid if they find something wrong its going to cost more then i could afford, as a college student i dont make that much money, and the money i do make i spend it on gas :/
Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by bob2011
Got yo back DAWG! That 5 series is SEXY AF!!! And i have turned on the bluetooth and now only use the hands free, Never again will i not pay attention to the road. I dont think anything went wrong with the car,but i want to go to the dealer to get it checked out, but im a bit afraid if they find something wrong its going to cost more then i could afford, as a college student i dont make that much money, and the money i do make i spend it on gas :/
You da man Bob!

Yeah, we live and learn. Be thankful that nothing bad happened as far as hitting something or somebody this time and sounds like you've learned from it.

I'm sure your car is okay and if you're Leasing I'd say forget about it, but if you've bought it, then getting it checked is probably smart, for peace of mind if nothing else. If you have anything due on your car or any other issues you want brought up, I'd say "pretend" that those are why you're taking your car in and ask them to check everything else, bringing up that you got concerned when hitting a bump. Usually they'll do that stuff no charge as long as you bring the car in for a warranty claim (if your car is under warranty).
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
You da man Bob!

Yeah, we live and learn. Be thankful that nothing bad happened as far as hitting something or somebody this time and sounds like you've learned from it.

I'm sure your car is okay and if you're Leasing I'd say forget about it, but if you've bought it, then getting it checked is probably smart, for peace of mind if nothing else. If you have anything due on your car or any other issues you want brought up, I'd say "pretend" that those are why you're taking your car in and ask them to check everything else, bringing up that you got concerned when hitting a bump. Usually they'll do that stuff no charge as long as you bring the car in for a warranty claim (if your car is under warranty).
Will indeed take it in, it's just I have the extended warranty since my real one expired at 50k, and if I tell them I hit a bump, will they still honor it?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 923 Likes on 656 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by tutooo
Why is everybody being so hard on Bob? I'm sure we all have driving stories of things we should have avoided or handled better. Stuff happens. Being on handsfree does not necessarily mean he would have been focused on the road.

Bob - hopefully that bump is the worst you will ever run in to .
I don't know how many drivers have the Windows phone. I used to have an iPhone but company rules made me to go with a Windows phone.

Crappy compared to iPhone but it has one very good feature.

When I receive a text message in the car the phone automatically asks me if I want to hear it. If I say "yes" it will read the message and then ask me if I want to replay or ignore. If I replay I just talk the message and it replays and lets me to rerecord as many times as necessary.

I don't know if other phones do this but I find this a very safe way to do text messages while driving. No need to touch the phone.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Will indeed take it in, it's just I have the extended warranty since my real one expired at 50k, and if I tell them I hit a bump, will they still honor it?
They won't do it under warranty if you simply take it in for damage possibly done from hitting a bump. Do you have any other issues with your car? Any other concerns? Sometimes if I wanted an all around checkup I'd just say something like the transmission isn't shifting right, or it feels "sluggish", think of any squeaks the suspension makes (all my Benzes creaked a lot), rattles, etc. Sometimes if they take it in to look up something directly related to a warranty claim, you can throw in other concerns not related to warranty ("Oh and while you're at it, could you look under the car and make sure the chassis/suspension/undersides are all okay, because I hit a bump very hard and it got me concerned"). Something like that.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Ironically, the whole COMAND system is very distracting. You can scroll through lists of songs, restuarants, POI's, telephone numbers, addressess, and God knows what else. The whole time you are looking at the center of your dash and not the road and probably exceeding the speed limit as well. Done it myself too many times.
Bluetooth helps, but still distracted driving. I have it, but never initiate calls when moving. Keep it on in case I have to make a 911 call. If do get a call, keep it very, very brief. Also, I usually turn my phone OFF. This works great.
Of course, I can remember that if you wanted to call someone, you had to find a service station that had a telephone booth. Amazing how well we got along without being in touch 24/7 with rest of the world.
Bottom Line. Drive safe, pay attention and think before doing something distracting.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by El Cid
Ironically, the whole COMAND system is very distracting. You can scroll through lists of songs, restuarants, POI's, telephone numbers, addressess, and God knows what else. The whole time you are looking at the center of your dash and not the road and probably exceeding the speed limit as well. Done it myself too many times.
Bluetooth helps, but still distracted driving. I have it, but never initiate calls when moving. Keep it on in case I have to make a 911 call. If do get a call, keep it very, very brief. Also, I usually turn my phone OFF. This works great.
Of course, I can remember that if you wanted to call someone, you had to find a service station that had a telephone booth. Amazing how well we got along without being in touch 24/7 with rest of the world.
Bottom Line. Drive safe, pay attention and think before doing something distracting.
Correct. A few more links

How to avoid the distraction

I can multitask

A cell phone is no different than talking to a passenger

Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by El Cid
This is true. I was fiddling with my iDrive one night and realized I was coming full speed toward a stopped Minivan. I was certain I was gonna collide and even envisioned my front getting crumbled. I guess it was a good opportunity to test these brakes and man did they shove the car to a stop with some G force. Lesson learned. These infotainment units are just like phones.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 AM

2011 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
They won't do it under warranty if you simply take it in for damage possibly done from hitting a bump. Do you have any other issues with your car? Any other concerns? Sometimes if I wanted an all around checkup I'd just say something like the transmission isn't shifting right, or it feels "sluggish", think of any squeaks the suspension makes (all my Benzes creaked a lot), rattles, etc. Sometimes if they take it in to look up something directly related to a warranty claim, you can throw in other concerns not related to warranty ("Oh and while you're at it, could you look under the car and make sure the chassis/suspension/undersides are all okay, because I hit a bump very hard and it got me concerned"). Something like that.
All of a sudden, my tranny feels a bit....... off...... Time to take it in!