Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by K-A
Actually I'd always acknowledge it but was probably busy trying to defend said merits of MBTex during one of the many bashfests against it. Believe me, I hate a cheap material on the inside of an expensive car and will feel it's unacceptable, however MBTex never even reminded me that it wasn't leather unless I was focusing on the areas that really are chalky-plasticy (like the bolsters on all the seats, as the cushions are remarkably soft to where it's almost hard to believe they aren't at least some harder/durable leather product). If M-B can soften up those bolsters it would be very hard to tell when you're in an MBTex car.... until you get a whiff of it.

LOL. Good marketing tactic, but doesn't really work on a premium-priced car indeed. In reality it's more about cost-cutting which helps keep margins high on these cars. However, M-B has always been using MBTex since the beginning of time so it's no new method. And one has to agree that when you sit in 10/20/30 year old M-B VS a 10/20/30 year old BMW or about any American car with Leather, the Benzes interior will still look like new and the others ruined by this cracked up, oily, completely worn out leather.

IMO it's a give and take. My BMW has Dakota leather which isn't as soft and cuddly as Nappa leather (which is an option), but will outlast Nappa greatly. It is kind of like a mix between MBTex and Nappa in that it feels as durable as MBTex, yet still has a soft "real leather" texture/feel and of course smells wonderful. It's not as rough as MBTex but not as soft as softer leathers.

I'm hoping that this Dakota will also provide the best merits of both, i.e in years down the road modern Bimmer's with Dakota leather will have seats that still look like new, all the while drivers of the cars benefited from technically leather seats.
Dakota needs frequent cleaning to keep it looking new. Any leather needs to be cleaned as dirt and heat is what causes deterioration but a more textured leather like Dakota needs more cleaning to keep i looking sharp.

I prefer Leatherique for heavy duty cleaning on already worn leather but LeatherMaster is da bomb on newer surfaces. Stay away from cheap cleaners and stuff like Lexol if you want to keep the leather looking new for a long time.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Thanks for the info. This is one reason I got black seats, after being so used to low upkeep with MBTex I didn't want the interior to take much attention as a black exterior already keeps my hands full.

I've only been cleaning it with a damp chamois but had it conditioned already once, and plan to for my next detail session. I'll probably have to get some cleaning agent for when need be that is not very abrasive at all.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
I hate BMW leather. I had a 2003 330i and a 2008 M3. I only weigh around 130 lbs but the leather seat always stretches out and looks real worn out. This only after 6 months of ownership. I'm only sitting in the seat for 30 minutes at a time. I've tried cleaning it and conditioning it and trying every trick in the book.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah BMW leather ages terribly and makes used BMW look prematurely aged from inside.

The Dakota leather in my car seems like it's a lot "thicker" and less "slick" than older leathers so I'm hoping that means they found some new formula to ensure long lasting.

I guess we'll find out as the F chassis cars get older (won't be for a while).
Old 06-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Interesting discussion, although - do not own an E-Class myself.

I am one of those people who think that the most simple explanation is usually the answer to a problem.

Why is BMW willing to pay for information fromE-Class owners? Simply because they see the midweight Benz as the reference adversary to beat. You just don't see BMW paying Impala owners for their input. Plain and simple.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
BMW is probably getting info from many competitors. I'm suRe Audi A6, Lexus and probably a few others are included. MB and the others are doing the same thing. Competition is fierce and they must keep up to date on what motivates a buyer to buy the competition's product.

All in all it makes for better cars at better prices.

PS. My wife drove her 07 335i Coupe with leather sport seats for 31/2 years and they looked reaL nice when she traded the car. I think the size of the person and how it's maintained determine how much wear and tear the interior will show. I find the soft premium leathers do not fare well.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MercsDude
Interesting discussion, although - do not own an E-Class myself.

I am one of those people who think that the most simple explanation is usually the answer to a problem.

Why is BMW willing to pay for information fromE-Class owners? Simply because they see the midweight Benz as the reference adversary to beat. You just don't see BMW paying Impala owners for their input. Plain and simple.
Mercedes has a whole website which you had to be invited to, dedicated to asking you questions about competition constantly and full of regular people who they state will provide advice that can "form the future of Mercedes". I'm a member of it (and they don't pay you). BMW has nothing like that from what I understand.

MB is doing more extensive marketing research than most based on what I've seen. But reality is they all do it. That's part of the unfortunate reason all these brands are starting to become so alike.

And of course BMW won't ask Impala owners anything lol. They don't have anything in the "huge affordable FWD cop cruiser" segment.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by K-A
...And of course BMW won't ask Impala owners anything lol. They don't have anything in the "huge affordable FWD cop cruiser" segment.
Actually they do - except for the FWD.

All four (three and a half?) major German manufacturers plus Porsche compete in the cop car market

BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW have dedicated websites for emergency services. Porsche's business in this market isn't large enough to support a separate webpage but both BMW and MB also sell armored vehicles straight from the factory but here is a photo from Porsche

But then there is always this

Last edited by CEB; 06-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.