E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport Sedan
Uncomfortable Seats

I had the same problem with my 2014 E 350 Sedan. Talked to MB said the seats in the 2014 sport Sedan were made narrower. Narrower doesnt nessecarly have to mean uncomfortable.Talked to my Dealer and they also had no fix. I tried to use pieces of foam on the seat to lift the middle of the seat to releave the pressure on my thighs. This helped but was a nusance as it move around when gettin in and out. Solved the problem by swapining in the E 350 and getting a 2014 ML350 4matic. Love it ! Very comfortable smooth and Quiet.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Originally Posted by pursuitfan
I had the same problem with my 2014 E 350 Sedan. Talked to MB said the seats in the 2014 sport Sedan were made narrower. Narrower doesnt nessecarly have to mean uncomfortable.Talked to my Dealer and they also had no fix. I tried to use pieces of foam on the seat to lift the middle of the seat to releave the pressure on my thighs. This helped but was a nusance as it move around when gettin in and out. Solved the problem by swapining in the E 350 and getting a 2014 ML350 4matic. Love it ! Very comfortable smooth and Quiet.
I guess that's one way to fix the problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
drz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E 350 SPORT
Originally Posted by myc
Hello
I just bought a 2014 e350 2 days ago with leather seats. I have to agree with Dr. Z - the side cushions on the sides of the seats protrude up and dig into the sides of my gluteus muscles - I too experienced pain, specifically on the left side of my butt, radiating down the side of my leg. what a drag!

I was wondering if anyone else has come up with a solution besides drz's - i.e. taking the chair to an upholstery shop to shave it down etc. I was thinking about the option of buying an AMG seat, which I sat in at the dealership and seemed more comfortable.

MYC, if I could offer a suggestion that may help make the seat more comfortable. As you know I had my seat modified to correct the problem,
but here's something that might help.
Lower the front portion of the seat bottom so it's flat.
Also lower the rear angle of the seat bottom so it's at its lowest position.
Do this with the seat bottom control switch.
Now make the seat back as straight as you can and still be comfortable.
Move seat in or out so your knees have a slight bend when on the pedals.
Hit memory #3 for that setting and drive a bit, you may need to do some slight adjusting for your comfort but you can always go back to the base setting by hitting #3. See if that helps and you may find a slight adjustment will be perfect for you , if so set that to memory #2.

DR.Z
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM

E-Class, Range Rover, Lamb
Just picked up a 2013 Range Rover (waited near 8 months) for the Fam. Lets just say for a 100k car it ain't much better of there lol. The seat feels rock hard like a bench. Don't get me wrong its comfortable but nothing like the S-Class...the E is a compromise feels like it needs more padding/backing but hugs correctly.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
As a senior citizen, my butt is probably more sensitive to these things than most of you. When I first got the '14, I didn't think it was as comfortable as my '11. But, after extensively playing with the seat adjustments, I find it identical to the '11. No complaints here.

Regards,
Don
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
No problems here for me but I have the active multi-contor driver side seat. My wife and drove non-stop from MD to WI and back with the exception of a quick stop every three hours to let the dog out. Neither one of us was uncomfortable.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM

2006 sl500, 2010 550 coupe
Originally Posted by GabrielNov
Just picked up a 2013 Range Rover (waited near 8 months) for the Fam. Lets just say for a 100k car it ain't much better of there lol. The seat feels rock hard like a bench. Don't get me wrong its comfortable but nothing like the S-Class...the E is a compromise feels like it needs more padding/backing but hugs correctly.
I love the seats in our Range rover. There might be something wrong with your seat. It's worth taking it to the dealer to look at it, if it continues to bother you that is. Are you having the same experience on passenger seat as well? Or is it just the drivers
Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM

E-Class, Range Rover, Lamb
Originally Posted by Champagnepapi
I love the seats in our Range rover. There might be something wrong with your seat. It's worth taking it to the dealer to look at it, if it continues to bother you that is. Are you having the same experience on passenger seat as well? Or is it just the drivers
I mean its good, just the seat feel I guess. Seems rather stiff, I can't adjust the side bolsters etc which is probably throwing me off. Don't get me wrong they are great but I was comparing to the 'S' class I guess.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 AM

E-550
Uncomfortable E-550

I purchased an E-550 Sedan about 7 months ago. My son was driving it regularly and complained how uncomfortable the seat is. After he purchased another vehicle I started driving the E-550. He is correct, the car is without doubt the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever owned. After 1 hour driving, my legs were both aching and I was forced to take frequent breaks to complete the trip. I do not have a problem normally taking long drives as I have driven an LS-460 for 14 hours recently with only fuel and restroom stops. My question: Is there a replacement seat for the E-550 I can purchase that is comfortable? My dealer recommended I trade the car in and purchase an S-Class but I don't want pay an additional $50,000 just for a decent seat.
The following users liked this post:
RealDonn (06-15-2023)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by pierson1
I purchased an E-550 Sedan about 7 months ago. My son was driving it regularly and complained how uncomfortable the seat is. After he purchased another vehicle I started driving the E-550. He is correct, the car is without doubt the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever owned. After 1 hour driving, my legs were both aching and I was forced to take frequent breaks to complete the trip. I do not have a problem normally taking long drives as I have driven an LS-460 for 14 hours recently with only fuel and restroom stops. My question: Is there a replacement seat for the E-550 I can purchase that is comfortable? My dealer recommended I trade the car in and purchase an S-Class but I don't want pay an additional $50,000 just for a decent seat.
This is one of my biggest complaints about this car.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Get leather seats with active contour seats w/ massage. VERY big difference.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by qtip
Get leather seats with active contour seats w/ massage. VERY big difference.
How much to you suppose that will cost pierson1?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM

2014 E350 Sport
I have a 2014 E350 with the Active Contour seats w/massage and find it to be very uncomfortable. So much so I haven't driven it in a week as it is just killing my back.

I did figure out what is going on with with the left side support (Driver's side) digging into your thighs. When the seat is completely flat all the way down and you push on the left side cushion and right side cushion you will find their is no give on the left side. This is because there is a huge piece of plastic covering the left side of the cushion so the cushion does not go down. If you tilt the front of the seat back it will rise above the plastic and have more give but then you are at a weird angle.

I'm going to take to an upholsterer and see if they can add more cushioning and possibly remove some of the plastic covering on the left side of the seat so there is some give.

On a related note I was traveling and got a rental Camry Sport with Sport seats and the seat bottoms in this car were so much softer and more supportive than the 350.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by drz
The new cushion bottom didn't really help, as was noted.
I brought it back my dealer had a upholstery shop come in and talk to me.
They took the car and increased the center section padding , and shaved a bit of the right side lower bolster. Now the seat is more like the older flatter Benz seats which fits my butt much better. It has been a few weeks since the repair and so far so good. The repair was done by DuraMend I believe they are a national shop with many locations.
Could you post a picture?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM
drz

2014 E 350 SPORT
Not really much to see in a photo.
The center section is a bit fuller and puffed up, and the side bolster looks the same, though they did remove a little padding.
If you E Mail me your cell # I'll text you a picture.
drz@drzamps.com

Z
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

BMW 5er
hmmm. i recently had this happen after 5 months of ownership. drove the car a bunch over a short amount of time and ended up with sore thighs and a bit of whatever the automotive equivalent of saddle sore is...

i played with the adjustments and then returned it to M1 and am now doing fine again. but these inputs have me thinking about possibly getting the DRZ fix. going to drive around 200 minutes total over the weekend and will see how it goes. it doesn't help that my wife's lexus' leather seats are a dream to sit on...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
drz

2014 E 350 SPORT
2014 pics 054.jpg

See if you notice the added padding on center section of the seat.
The fold is pushed up making the seat more flat and the bolster is a bit smaller making for a larger flatter seat base. I find this way more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?-2014-pics-054.jpg  

Last edited by drz; 02-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by drz
2014 pics 054.jpg

See if you notice the added padding on center section of the seat.
The fold is pushed up making the seat more flat and the bolster is a bit smaller making for a larger flatter seat base. I find this way more comfortable.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 PM

FYI:

I have had lower thigh pain from the seat as well for long drives.

We should not have to do this in a 60k car, but I picked up this gel cushion from Costco and it is way more comfortable now. No more leg pain from the stiff side bolster elevation. This Cushion makes the seat more flat/even so nothing is pressing on your leg. In The past I have had a S550, and LS460, no seat issues there for sure.

here are the specs.

The cushion features:

Portable Design
Deluxe Memory Foam
Non-slip back
Soft, Cooling Gel Insert
The WinPlus Ultimate Gel Seat Cushion is priced at $19.99.

Item number 908262.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?-winplus-ultimate-gel-seat-cushion-costco-2.jpg  

Last edited by drsaab; 03-18-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 PM

2014 E350 Sport
The costco item # is not valid. Can you recheck the number and post?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by davahad
The costco item # is not valid. Can you recheck the number and post?
I think it is in store only, so will not show up on the website.

here is another reference for it online as well..

http://costcocouple.com/winplus-ulti...-seat-cushion/
Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 PM

2014 E550, 2003 E500, 1999 GMC Sierra, 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD
No issue with 2014 E550 active seats

I just got it a month ago. They feel just as good as my 2003 E500. My back is quick to complain too. My butt likes firm though. My wife's 2012 Acura TL not as good. The 2006 Lexus GS430 I used to have made both me and my wife's back sore after a 2 hr road trip.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Here's an update on what I've found on the seat and why the left side bolster is firmer than the right.

Previously I had stated that the plastic cover on the left side of the seat was not allowing the cushion to go down which is incorrect.

After going back to the dealer the service mgr sat in and pulled and prodded to figure out why it is harder. He pulled the left side bolster in towards the center of the seat so you can see in the crack between the bolster and side panel and found the bolster rests on a long metal rod and a piece of plastic that sits at the same level as the rod.

So when the seat is completely down the left side bolster is sitting on a steel rod, hence the reason why there is no give.

This also explains why it might not bother some because if you tilt the bottom seat cushion up it lifts off of the bar and is no longer touching allowing the bolster to give.

I don't know why MBUSA would design a seat where it is different on one side vs. the other as I've never owned a car, house chair, patio chair, couch, etc. where the seat was different on the left side of the cushion vs. the right side of the cushion.

I still plan on having the seat pulled out and adding padding to the center cushion and when I do I will take some pictures of the insides and post back here.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 644 Likes on 483 Posts
W212 FL
I just wanna make an update on my last trip that was about 5.5 hours .I occupied the right rear seat during the whole trip to see if the rear seats were any more comfortable in comparison with the front seats .
So, the result is rear seats did never upset my legs , thigh . It felt like sitting in the club chairs
However, our chaffeur said he did suffer some pain because of tough material
Another reminder , we have ARTICO not genuine leather may be leather makes a whole different story
Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by drz
The new cushion bottom didn't really help, as was noted.
I brought it back my dealer had a upholstery shop come in and talk to me.
They took the car and increased the center section padding , and shaved a bit of the right side lower bolster. Now the seat is more like the older flatter Benz seats which fits my butt much better. It has been a few weeks since the repair and so far so good. The repair was done by DuraMend I believe they are a national shop with many locations.
Just wanted to check-in and see if the mods are still holding up for you and are still comfortable?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?