E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport

Last edited by noka; 10-28-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4matic Designo, 2014 ML350 4matic Sport, 2013 Cls550
Originally Posted by Arrie
[=noka;6212673]Is it strictly the "leather" seats that are uncomfortable compared to the "MBtex" seats, or is it (possibly) the ventilated option that makes it uncomfortable? Can anyone comment on leather seat comfort without the ventilation option?
I don't think it matters if it is MB TEX, leather or nappa leather when it comes about the seat comfortability. It is all about the cushion under the surface.

Yes, there could be a small difference between the surface materials but it has nothing to do with the comfort difference between the E550 and the 2004 Tahoe LT that I used to have. That Tahoe seat is still the best I have ever sat in any car yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree that it doesn't so much have to do with the material itself but with the padding underneath. Perhaps the seats with leather are made with stiffer/less pliable padding to prevent excessive wear on the less durable leather? Just a theory, but it's anyone's guess.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Bewildering comments !

Having just completed a 6500 km road trip through eight states, my wife and I found the leather seats in our E350BT to be very comfortable. After driving for 8-10 hrs per day, neither of us had any discomfort. We are both 65+ and both of us can be subject to back pain when sitting in uncomfortable chairs or sofas. As far as we are concerned, the W212 leather seats are fabulous for long distance touring !

Perhaps the fact that we are both short in stature and very fit has something to do with it, I don't know ? My observation is that the leather seats are more comfortable than the MBtex. The middle bolsters run fore and aft with leather seats, while on MBtex, they go from side to side.

So I find these negative comments very bewildering. Consumer Reports recently described the MBtex seats in an E250BT as being "supremely comfortable and supportive" !
Old 10-28-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Arrie
I don't think it matters if it is MB TEX, leather or nappa leather when it comes about the seat comfortability. It is all about the cushion under the surface.

Yes, there could be a small difference between the surface materials but it has nothing to do with the comfort difference between the E550 and the 2004 Tahoe LT that I used to have. That Tahoe seat is still the best I have ever sat in any car yet.
Originally Posted by JDBKLYN89
Yeah I agree that it doesn't so much have to do with the material itself but with the padding underneath. Perhaps the seats with leather are made with stiffer/less pliable padding to prevent excessive wear on the less durable leather? Just a theory, but it's anyone's guess.
I'm certainly not looking to buy a Tahoe but maybe MB could learn something from the GM ergonomics in this case. There appear to be differences based on the fact that some people seem to like the E350 seats. The one thing that might affect comfort the most is the ventilation option. I prefer to have real leather as opposed to MBtex but not if it means a substantial loss of comfort. Hopefully I'll be able to find some cars to sit in to compare soon, since an answer continues to elude me.

Last edited by noka; 10-29-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by noka
I'm not looking to buy a Tahoe. There appear to be differences based on the fact that some people seem to like the E350 seats. The one thing that might affect comfort the most is the ventilation option. I prefer to have real leather as opposed to MBtex but not if it means a substantial loss of comfort. Hopefully I'll be able to find some cars to sit in to compare soon, since it seems the answer continues to elude me.
Haha yeah that wasn't my quote about the Tahoe, posted the previous comment as mine for some reason? Yeah that's always the best bet. Have spent substantial time in both mb-Tex and Nappa, but have never been in one with the "standard" leather. Seeems everyone has their own opinion which make sense as we are all built differently. If you get your hands on one try to go on as long of a test drive as possible and see what the old butt test tells you
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Originally Posted by noka
How would you describe your build (height, weight, etc)?
I'm not a large framed man, 5'9, 160. Dear wife is 5'3 and all of 110.

Since the Tahoe was mentioned, the seats in my '04 Silverado are initially comfortable for me for an hour or two but then I start squirming in them.

The seat in the '15 C300 loaner I recently had seemed nice, covered in MBTex (or whatever they call it now). It was definitely firmer than the throne in my E but I really didn't spend enough time in it to determine if it would be comfortable for a long haul.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Having just completed a 6500 km road trip through eight states, my wife and I found the leather seats in our E350BT to be very comfortable. After driving for 8-10 hrs per day, neither of us had any discomfort. We are both 65+ and both of us can be subject to back pain when sitting in uncomfortable chairs or sofas. As far as we are concerned, the W212 leather seats are fabulous for long distance touring !

Perhaps the fact that we are both short in stature and very fit has something to do with it, I don't know ? My observation is that the leather seats are more comfortable than the MBtex. The middle bolsters run fore and aft with leather seats, while on MBtex, they go from side to side.

So I find these negative comments very bewildering. Consumer Reports recently described the MBtex seats in an E250BT as being "supremely comfortable and supportive" !

I agree.

After my initial post in this thread, I completed an 1100 mile road trip and the seats in my 2014 E350 are very comfortable.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:19 PM

Just an aside, a bit of a no brainer for those still debating mb-Tex/leather/Nappa leather be advised that the Nappa leather is NOT durable at all and actually very prone to scratches/tears. I have put 2 slight scratches/tears in my passenger seat with my finger nail just by reaching for my cellphone or sweatshirt that was on the seat.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Vinyl seats really have become so good that it's getting harder to justify the extra wear, care and cost for the soft leather. The harder, more durable leathers come off as so synthetic themselves that they make an even worse case. Some vinyls are so soft and carefree that they can become the best choice. Also some are impossible to tell apart from leather.
The following users liked this post:
RealDonn (06-15-2023)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by K-A
Vinyl seats really have become so good that it's getting harder to justify the extra wear, care and cost for the soft leather. The harder, more durable leathers come off as so synthetic themselves that they make an even worse case. Some vinyls are so soft and carefree that they can become the best choice. Also some are impossible to tell apart from leather.
After looking (and sitting in) leather and MBTex today in two E350 4M, I switched my order to MBTex. It felt more comfortable and actually looked nicer. Go figure!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
That's great. I haven't heard many people change their leather to MB tex based on comfort. It's good to know. I have MB tex and am pretty happy with it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM

2014 Sport White on black
I agree that our seats are not designed for long trips. My 2012 E Sport was only comfortable for short trips and my new 2014 is a bit better. I drove over 600 miles and if I left my wallet in my back pocket my drive would have been terrible. Even my 2008 M35 seats were not as comfortable as they look. To be honest the last time I drove a car with very comfortable seating was a rental with cloth seats.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by maguzma
I agree that our seats are not designed for long trips. My 2012 E Sport was only comfortable for short trips and my new 2014 is a bit better. I drove over 600 miles and if I left my wallet in my back pocket my drive would have been terrible. Even my 2008 M35 seats were not as comfortable as they look. To be honest the last time I drove a car with very comfortable seating was a rental with cloth seats.
A bit OT but FYI, I switched my wallet from back to front pocket for the benefit of comfort while driving and also because when I had a severe back problem a few years ago, some knowledgeable healthcare person hinted that it could contribute to that as well. I like the front pocket better also in crowds,... not so easy to pickpocket and I also don't see the ugly outline of my wallet on my blue jeans back pocket.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 PM

2014 E350 Sport Luxury
Originally Posted by myc
Hello
I just bought a 2014 e350 2 days ago with leather seats. I have to agree with Dr. Z - the side cushions on the sides of the seats protrude up and dig into the sides of my gluteus muscles - I too experienced pain, specifically on the left side of my butt, radiating down the side of my leg. what a drag!

I was wondering if anyone else has come up with a solution besides drz's - i.e. taking the chair to an upholstery shop to shave it down etc. I was thinking about the option of buying an AMG seat, which I sat in at the dealership and seemed more comfortable.
Same situation here. I am 6'3" with wide frame and the seats are exactly as you describe. Very uncomfortable. I would like to know what you find out. I will also post if I find anything out. I thought about after market seats but have not researched it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by sjtyus
Same situation here. I am 6'3" with wide frame and the seats are exactly as you describe. Very uncomfortable. I would like to know what you find out. I will also post if I find anything out. I thought about after market seats but have not researched it.
I have a '14 E 350 with leather seats, I'm 6'4" and also found the seats uncomfortable, however I purchased a CONFORMAX seat cushion which helps immensely!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVGG95Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVGG95Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Steinhart; 01-17-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 PM

2014 E350 Sport Luxury
Originally Posted by Steinhart
I have a '14 E 350 with leather seats, I'm 6'4" and also found the seats uncomfortable, however I purchased a CONFORMAX seat cushion which helps immensely!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great! Thanks! I just ordered one. I will post again after I get it and try it out for a few days.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:20 PM

'11 E63 AMG,'05 SL55 AMG, '05 CLK500 Cab (sold) '02 E55 AMG (Sold)
I know this is an older thread but I am desperate to find a solution to the hip and thigh pain I suffer when driving my new to me 2011 CPO E63. The bolsters are rock hard and the seat padding is non existent. I have followed the advice of the others and readjusted my seat and purchased a gel pad, all of which helped to some degree. All that is left is to bring my seat cushion to an upholstery shop to have the bolsters shaved and center padding added. Can anyone provide a detailed description on how to remove the seat cushion?
Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by alans1
I know this is an older thread but I am desperate to find a solution to the hip and thigh pain I suffer when driving my new to me 2011 CPO E63. The bolsters are rock hard and the seat padding is non existent. I have followed the advice of the others and readjusted my seat and purchased a gel pad, all of which helped to some degree. All that is left is to bring my seat cushion to an upholstery shop to have the bolsters shaved and center padding added. Can anyone provide a detailed description on how to remove the seat cushion?
I feel your pain, I had my seat removed and they added 4" of center padding, did not touch the side bolsters, it helped but not exactly comfortable, plus I'm riding a little high in the seat, my hips feel better but very discouraging, I would recommend that if you have a shop pull the seat that you sit in it before they reinstall it, good luck
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM

'11 E63 AMG,'05 SL55 AMG, '05 CLK500 Cab (sold) '02 E55 AMG (Sold)
Thanks for the info. I prefer to just bring in the cushion if possible. So if anyone knows how to unscrew it please provide me with the details.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 PM

2011 E350 Cabriolet and 2009 E350
Uncomfortable hard E350 seats

Originally Posted by drz
The new cushion bottom didn't really help, as was noted.
I brought it back my dealer had a upholstery shop come in and talk to me.
They took the car and increased the center section padding , and shaved a bit of the right side lower bolster. Now the seat is more like the older flatter Benz seats which fits my butt much better. It has been a few weeks since the repair and so far so good. The repair was done by DuraMend I believe they are a national shop with many locations.
I have a 2011 with limited miles. My wife and I are experiencing uncomfortable front seats also. Thanks for the info on your seats. I'm considering seeing the dealership. How is the modified seat working for you today?
Thanks
JG104
Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 AM

E350 4-matic
I'm kind of a seat expert. First of all, the seats are too short in length-- should be an inch longer. So you need to keep the seat back extra reclined so you can sit further back in the seat, which in effect lengthens the seat bottom. It will seem odd at first, but it's mandatory to have the seat back extra reclined!
Next, raise the whole seat up to the desired height. Next, have the seat bottom completely FLAT, not tilted up at all, In fact, having the seat bottom tilted down a bit (front of seat tilted downwards--from extra rotation of whole seat) is even better.
So now you have a situtation where you've lengthened the seat bottom and have put all the pressure on your thighs (seat bottom tilted forward). So in order to take some pressure off your thighs, you MUST move the seat 1-2 inches CLOSER to the front, more than you're used to!! So your legs actually have slight bend to them, to take the pressure off.
All of a sudden, -- the seats are good now!! Then adjust lumbar support to taste. Remember, the seat back must be tilted back much further than typical and the seat bottom must be flat or even tilted foreward

Last edited by Rwingsguy; 07-31-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Rwingsguy
I'm kind of a seat expert.....
That remains to be seen Your explanation warrants trying though. I did notice on my last trip that lowering the front of the seat helped. I just measured the tilt of the seat bottom and it's WAY up in front still. I don't get the part about moving the seat up though. Isn't that what the dummy pedal location on the left is for? The left is where I get the rear quad (?) pain and in the ****.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM

2011 E350 Cabriolet and 2009 E350
Uncomfortable hard E350 seats

Originally Posted by davahad
Here's a follow-up to my uncomfortable Active Multi-Contour seats and the mods I am in the process of doing.

I've attached some pictures of the actual seat bottom cushion for the Active Multi-Contour Seat. Before having the Upholsterer modify the seat I wanted to see what we were working with so I ordered a replacement seat cushion for $446 from Pelican Parts. Pelican was fast ordering the seat cushion from Germany and only took about 10 days to get.

As you can see from the attached pictures there is a huge gap in the center of the seat where there is no cushion whatsoever. Just the honeycomb lining which allows for the airflow from the fans. Unfortunately this honeycomb material is very hard and that is what you are sitting on which explains why the seat is so uncomfortable. This honeycomb material is installed on all of the the seat and on the sides you can see a grey foam topper material. This material is quite soft and you can fully depress with a finger.

The left side seat bolster is made out of rock hard foam that has no give whatsoever which explains why it is so hard and uncomfortable. The right side seat bolster is medium softness and has quite a bit of give. Too bad the right side is not the same.

I'm having the upholsterer remove all of the honeycomb material and replace with foam. On the center where there is no foam padding he is going to build this up with foam so the seat is flat. On the left side bolster he is going to cut out the top part and replace with softer foam so when you sit on this it has give.

Since you can barely feel the airflow on the seat cushion bottom I don't care that I will get no airflow after the mod. I was toying with the idea of having some small holes cored out of the foam where the fans are located but decided against as comfort is my main goal.

I will do a video soon of the cushion that shows the firmness of the honeycomb material as well as the left side seat bolster.
My seats in my 2011 are killing me. I'm considering going to an upholstery shop for a similar mod. My main concerns are: fire retardent material, new cushion cause heat or electrical problems with the cooling fan. How is it going since your mod to the seats, comfort, any issues?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by Rwingsguy
I'm kind of a seat expert. First of all, the seats are too short in length-- should be an inch longer. So you need to keep the seat back extra reclined so you can sit further back in the seat, which in effect lengthens the seat bottom. It will seem odd at first, but it's mandatory to have the seat back extra reclined!
Next, raise the whole seat up to the desired height. Next, have the seat bottom completely FLAT, not tilted up at all, In fact, having the seat bottom tilted down a bit (front of seat tilted downwards--from extra rotation of whole seat) is even better.
So now you have a situtation where you've lengthened the seat bottom and have put all the pressure on your thighs (seat bottom tilted forward). So in order to take some pressure off your thighs, you MUST move the seat 1-2 inches CLOSER to the front, more than you're used to!! So your legs actually have slight bend to them, to take the pressure off.
All of a sudden, -- the seats are good now!! Then adjust lumbar support to taste. Remember, the seat back must be tilted back much further than typical and the seat bottom must be flat or even tilted foreward
That's some weird but scientific sounding procedure. This idea came up in your mind or is it followed by other "seat experts " too ? I mean how do you qualify yourself as a seat expert? Are you in the seat manufacturing / design guru or some sort of quality control inspector for seats?
BTW I find that the current seating position in my car to be pretty comfortable for me, but I will try out your procedure just for the heck of it. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM

ML 350 Bluetec
ML seats

I have had 2 ML's. Currently I am driving a 2014. The front seat is quite different than the 2012. I do have a different option as well. Although both vehicles had heated front seats, the one I now have also has air conditioned seats. After about an hour, my right rear end and right hamstring are sore. Same holds true if I am in the passenger seat. This was not the case in my 2012. Wonder if it has anything to do with the air conditioning component.
I am 5'9" and 195lbs.

Or, it could have something to do with the massage feature. I did not have that on my 2012 either.

Of course the dealer has never heard of these things!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else find the 2014 seat uncomfortable?