ECO STOP/START

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by MAFE
Do I need to turn off the air conditioning system to permit ECO mode works?
Nope... It's totally autonomous
Old 01-31-2016, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Your car is under warranty bring it back to the dealer. If you want to get rid of the eco button then contact midcity engineering in Chicago il.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
call me paranoid, but I turn ECO off when I'm taking a left turn against traffic .. something deep inside me says - the engine should be running right before I'm about to make this turn... I wish the ECO engineers could sense somehow that I'm taking a turn against traffic and disable ECO during these periods of time.
They have ECO on E63 S-model? Somehow that seems redundant.

Seems some comments are from folks who don't actually have ECO. First time I was introduced to it was a service loaner and was totally unprepared for the first time the car "died" at a light.

In my opinion it is a system that benefits the manufacturer more than the average driver. Car companies have all sorts of fuel economy and emission regulations they must meet. On an aggregate scale ECO helps them do that. That probably benefits the consumer as well.

In my driving I usually turn it off (TG that's available). I doubt it provides a significant improvement in my gas mileage, and to be honest, gas mileage wasn't a major concern when I bought a luxury car that requires premium unleaded. I don't drive a lot of miles (5-6K/yr) and luckily have almost no stop and go. Your results may vary.

It depends on where and how you drive I guess. I notice it doesn't engage if you are on a hill or if you don't come to a complete stop, eg., making a California right turn, or, perhaps creeping forward to make a left against traffic.

Further, it is not "imperceptible". The engine restarts when you take your foot off the brake pedal, and supposedly is ready to move the car forward by the time you can step on the accelerator. So, in real time, there is no performance difference between stopping in ECO mode, or being at idle. But there is no way you can not notice the engine restarting.

Last edited by Cao Black; 01-31-2016 at 10:56 PM.