E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mod continues... what do you guys think?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
Originally Posted by Arrie
Well, I seriously doubt that car came with the AMG badge from the factory. If it was a brand new car the badge was probably added by the dealer unless they had an option to order it with it in which case the factory would probably just send the badge with the car for the dealer to glue it on.

Also, do a google on the CLS550 AMG and you get two or three hits of cars that clearly are not AMG other than one showing a gorgeous black car without badges at all but comes up under CLS550 AMG. If the CLS with an AMG badge was really from MB factory there would be more than just one or two of them on the google search results, would you think?

I need to see a non-AMG engine equipped car come out of a Mercedes car factory with the AMG badge on it to believe it.
again, you're talking about US/Canada spec cars here.
US is a big market, but not THE ONLY market where mercedes sells their cars.

but of course, people's words are not enough for you.
you can also tell your kids that santa doesn't exist, because you haven't seen him with your eyes.
you can stand in front of a church and tell those who wish to go in that they are wasting their time, because you haven't seen whoever they've been worshiping with your own eyes.

yikes.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:25 PM

E-class
It is a bit different thing to have AMG rims on the car compared to the AMG badge on the trunk lid. The badge on the trunk lid for most people mean the engine is AMG, on the rims it only means the rims.

says who? MBUSA? Mercedes-Benz AG? AMG? or just you?

how about those vendors who sell AMG lettered flat badges here in the forum? what does that mean? and has anyone said anything about it?

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-16-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Wonder if buys his girls fake purses and diamonds and whatnot. Reminds me of a dude i know like that. His girl went and got the diamond cleaned. He was packing his bags shortly after. Lol

actually i don't. sorry to disappoint you.

i spend more money collecting mechanical watches than all of the cars i've ever bought combined. but that's not what we're talking about here. if you want to chat about that, open a thread and i'm there. i'm happy to share my experience (normally not in a car forum, but i'll make an exception just for you).

but if you just want to be mean, it's okay, i get it. different people in the world. i've been around enough to understand that.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by hyperion667
shove it huh? I could try that I guess..........but would I shove it in my butt? or my face? where is this shoving taking place?

okay, since you went that direction.........you're a poser......you car is a poser and not an AMG.....
you make the rest of us AMG owners look bad.....you want others to think your car is something it isn't........that's a form of lying: you're a liar man! LOL..........what else do you lie about in your life? makes no difference to me...........
you have really taken the low brow approach to this one leapinpoint

you bought ONE AMG car and an used porsche, all of the sudden you're above everyone else here and act as if you own the AMG brand and get to decide how and where AMG logo should be used?

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-15-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 PM

E-class
Originally Posted by matt72
do people really think mercedes took over amg just so they could sell a couple of thousand more cars a year. They make alot more money selling c220 owners sets of wheels,bumpers and t shirts,its just a label. If people were putting c63 badges on c220 or whatever then i could understand all the fuss being made.
bmw have been doing it for years with the m badges and now merc wants a slice of the pie

my point exactly.

it's not like i have E63 badge on my car.

in fact, i still have E200 badge on the left side of my trunk (put it back on months ago because i felt it was too empty there).

so i really don't see how and why people here make such a big fuss over this. and one particular member lost it started calling names "liar... poser" and what not. i guess it is towards the end of year and some people are just unhappy for no reason. or perhaps it's because i shattered their AMG world by telling them that AMG factory does badge non-AMG models and sell them in countries outside of US.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
my point exactly.

it's not like i have E63 badge on my car.

in fact, i still have E200 badge on the left side of my trunk (put it back on months ago because i felt it was too empty there).

so i really don't see how and why people here make such a big fuss over this. and one particular member lost it started calling names "liar... poser" and what not. i guess it is towards the end of year and some people are just unhappy for no reason. or perhaps it's because i shattered their AMG world by telling them that AMG factory does badge non-AMG models and sell them in countries outside of US.

Are you serious!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!

The AMG factory would badge non-AMG models! Now I could call you names...but I won't...
Old 12-15-2013, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wrong.

#32 says cars are like that at the dealer, but he didn't say it was like that from the factory or suggested that dealers glued them on.
#33 says "some of the car makers/distributors" so there was no indication that it was just the dealer.

you really need to read more carefully.

my experience is, some dealers do this (sometimes with, and also without the factory's consent).
here are some photos taken at an authorized dealer in Asia (taken from the internet). this would be an example of what you're talking about: AMG badge was taped on, probably by the dealer rather than the factory. it was taped on the wrong side. factory would replace the CGI lettering with AMG logo, as it's been done for years.

in these photos you can see the tail pipes are in oval shape rather than rectangular shape you normally see on US spec E-class with luxury package. so did the dealer replace the rectangular tail pipes with these oval shape ones? no, they're from the factory. just regional differences. no other particular reasons really.

US dealers normally don't do this, but in the rest of the world it's not uncommon. BUT, Mercedes subsidiaries in certain countries actually run promotional programs and request Mercedes factory to make limited edition, special lines, often times with packages and design no other countries have ever seen. these models are also badged differently, from the factory, not the dealer. it's been done for years, nothing new.

here is the latest facelifted W212 E200 sold with AMG package in Taiwan:
photos and article published in a reputable review site.

but you're probably gonna say that i can't prove the AMG badge was taped on from the factory...
okay.

Let's just make it clear here. You say Mercedes Benz actually badges some non-AMG engine equipped cars with the AMG badge.

I am of the opinion they do not and everywhere in the world where you can see a car like that it is badged by the dealer or the owner after the deal.

Last edited by Arrie; 12-15-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do people really think mercedes took over amg just so they could sell a couple of thousand more cars a year. They make alot more money selling c220 owners sets of wheels,bumpers and t shirts,its just a label. If people were putting c63 badges on c220 or whatever then i could understand all the fuss being made.
bmw have been doing it for years with the m badges and now merc wants a slice of the pie
Mercedes Benz bought the AMG for the engine development, everything else is secondary.

What comes to making business with the AMG stuff, what business sense does it make if they sell the E-class in either luxury or so called AMG trim for the same price?

I also believe that by far most after market body parts for the AMG look come from other manufacturers than MB.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

o

Last edited by Arrie; 12-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM

E-class
Let's just make it clear here. You say Mercedes Benz actually badges some non-AMG engine equipped cars with the AMG badge.

I am of the opinion they do not and everywhere in the world where you can see a car like that it is badged by the dealer or the owner after the deal.
And I would remind you that you buy your European imports in the US from your local authorized dealers/distributors, but in other parts of the world, people buy from European car maker's subsidiaries, not some locally-owned authorized dealers.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 AM

E-class
Mercedes Benz bought the AMG for the engine development, everything else is secondary.
Wow, speaking on behalf of the Mercedes AMG now?

Lewis Hamilton doesn't even do that.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 AM

E-class
A simple post of whether I should tint my tail lights turned into personal attacks on me for having one AMG badge on my trunk lid. Easy people, I DO NOT have a "E63" designation on my car, and in fact my car still says E200 on my trunk lid. So what is this fuss?! sheeeeeesh.....

At the same time, we see many members here buying replica AMG wheels or using lots of AMG accessories (more aftermarket than factory). Lots of dealers sells replica AMG and even flat badges, but no one has said anything before. Perhaps the forum should have a formal standard on what is accepted here and what isn't?

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-16-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wink

Originally Posted by FFXF1
Post #32 in this thread is mine. Not trying to be a hater on the boards, and seriously believe neither the factory, nor leapingpoint stuck the AMG badge on the car. Can also accept that in different parts of the world there are different conventions that bind dealers to certain ethics. Having spent many years overseas living on the economy I accept there are different cultural views on these matters. My post was in direct reference to those in my region who clearly put AMG badges on non-AMG vehicles. As stated, and I agree with boltonblue, my tendency would be to de-badge - or in his words - down-badge. Those that know will be able to pick up the subtle details that tell them it's a legit AMG. Those who don't probably won't notice anyway, and if they did they wouldn't know what they're looking at or what it meant!
well said Sir
wrong.

#33 says cars are like that at the dealer, but he didn't say it was like that from the factory or suggested that dealers glued them on.
#34 says "some of the car makers/distributors" so there was no indication that it was just the dealer.

you really need to read more carefully.

my experience is, some dealers do this (sometimes with, and also without the factory's consent).
here are some photos taken at an authorized dealer in Asia (taken from the internet). this would be an example of what you're talking about: AMG badge was taped on, probably by the dealer rather than the factory. it was taped on the wrong side. factory would replace the CGI lettering with AMG logo, as it's been done for years.

in these photos you can see the tail pipes are in oval shape rather than rectangular shape you normally see on US spec E-class with luxury package. so did the dealer replace the rectangular tail pipes with these oval shape ones? no, they're from the factory. just regional differences. no other particular reasons really.

US dealers normally don't do this, but in the rest of the world it's not uncommon. BUT, Mercedes subsidiaries in certain countries actually run promotional programs and request Mercedes factory to make limited edition, special lines, often times with packages and design no other countries have ever seen. these models are also badged differently, from the factory, not the dealer. it's been done for years, nothing new.

here is the latest facelifted W212 E200 sold with AMG package in Taiwan:
photos and article published in a reputable review site.

but you're probably gonna say that i can't prove the AMG badge was taped on from the factory...
okay.
you bought ONE AMG car and an used porsche, all of the sudden you're above everyone else here and act as if you own the AMG brand and get to decide how and where AMG logo should be used?

as a matter of some facts I am on my second AMG......and what does my used Porsche have to do with it? or my other used Porsche that I had.......
or are you just trying to find something: ANYTHING to try and disarm me too?? LOL.......
this thread did morph into something stupid......and it isn't because your Tawian badged car either......it's about the AMG badge plain and simple......then you blame it on the dealer........

"the dealer put it on there" ......."it was the dealer not me".....

"that's what they do in the rest of the world"

blah blah blah haha

then take it off then LOL if the dealer put it on! oh wait: you enjoy being a supporter of posing......it's okay to you.........you don't mind........
and yet you feel completely justified......

I claim to be no expert or leader of the matter, but I am clearly not the only who with these feelings.....
AND......you threw the first stone with that shove it BS.......
it was never about YOU man, so stop making it out to be, it was always about the badge.....
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM

E-class
well said Sir

as a matter of some facts I am on my second AMG......and what does my used Porsche have to do with it? or my other used Porsche that I had.......
or are you just trying to find something: ANYTHING to try and disarm me too?? LOL.......
this thread did morph into something stupid......and it isn't because your Tawian badged car either......it's about the AMG badge plain and simple......then you blame it on the dealer........

"the dealer put it on there" ......."it was the dealer not me".....

"that's what they do in the rest of the world"

blah blah blah haha

then take it off then LOL if the dealer put it on! oh wait: you enjoy being a supporter of posing......it's okay to you.........you don't mind........
and yet you feel completely justified......

I claim to be no expert or leader of the matter, but I am clearly not the only who with these feelings.....
AND......you threw the first stone with that shove it BS.......
it was never about YOU man, so stop making it out to be, it was always about the badge.....

Wow, you're so low; you can't read, and can't even get the facts straight. My W212 is not in Taiwan, but I do keep a W211 there. I travel from cities to cities, countries to countries, and I keep a house/apartment with at least a car in most places I go. I know, this is out of your league and too much for you to handle. It's okay.

You showed how low you are when you made the blower comment in the first place. I made the connection to your used Porsche or Porsches because you made a comment to another member who asked me how much i paid for the AMG badge, your reply "same cost as an AMG car" implied that those who don't own an AMG car but have/want AMG accessories can't afford one. That is your attitude, at least have the ***** to admit it. So on that note, I reminded you that in fact I paid more for an entry level E200 in China than whatever AMG you have. Yeah, it's like a fight between 5-year-olds, and I wish I had not done that, but at the time I felt I needed to sink to your level.

Well, I was wrong... because to be at your level, I would have to dig hard, and even doing so I don't think I would ever reach you. Perhaps you can blow yourself out of that dunn hole with your AMG blower?

My AMG badge bugs you because you are insecure with your car, with yourself, or with a lot of other things. You speak as if you speak on behalf of all AMG owners around the world. Man, you have issues that probably require professional help. Being a nice person I am, I have changed my signature photo to ease your pain and suffering. You are very welcome.

You said you're not the only person with those feelings, and you're right. But if you had read through all posts within this thread, there are others who also try to tell you differently, you just chose to ignore those who don't share your view. You don't have to agree with others, but you don't even acknowledge them. That clearly shows you have issues.

Be an AMG badge police all you want. My world is a happier place than yours because I can care less what other people put on their cars.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, speaking on behalf of the Mercedes AMG now?

Lewis Hamilton doesn't even do that.

Perhaps you need to do a little bit reading on the Mercedes Benz history before you make your comments...
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And I would remind you that you buy your European imports in the US from your local authorized dealers/distributors, but in other parts of the world, people buy from European car maker's subsidiaries, not some locally-owned authorized dealers.

Are you now trying to say that when it is an European car maker's subsidiary and they glue the AMG badge on the trunk lid it equals to as if the car came from the factory like that?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FFXF1
Post #32 in this thread is mine. Not trying to be a hater on the boards, and seriously believe neither the factory, nor leapingpoint stuck the AMG badge on the car. Can also accept that in different parts of the world there are different conventions that bind dealers to certain ethics. Having spent many years overseas living on the economy I accept there are different cultural views on these matters. My post was in direct reference to those in my region who clearly put AMG badges on non-AMG vehicles. As stated, and I agree with boltonblue, my tendency would be to de-badge - or in his words - down-badge. Those that know will be able to pick up the subtle details that tell them it's a legit AMG. Those who don't probably won't notice anyway, and if they did they wouldn't know what they're looking at or what it meant!

There really are big cultural differences around the world. Mr. leapingpoint seems to think that these differences also change the original car maker's culture, which I don't believe.

If he lives or spends time in an area where people put AMG stickers on their cars it tells about the culture, i.e. anything goes. There is no respect to anything.

A 100% opposite culture with this badging is in Germany. I have never seen any car in Germany (don't mean there isn't any) with badging saying the car is more than it is. In Germany they de-badge almost every car sold. This may be as people don't want to show what they don't have as on many cars without looking under the hood you really can't tell. They respect the cars and what they represent and seem not to be telling around that they have more than what it is.

The AMG badge on the trunk lid originally and still means that the engine is AMG built engine. They have AMG badges on some cars also on sides.

Perhaps MB should make another badge that shows that the cars design is AMG but would differentiate it from the true AMG. A badge that would say, for example, "Design AMG". This should go well with Mr. leapingpoint too as he says he only wants the AMG design and not to suggest the engine in the car is true AMG engine. That badge I personally would not have a problem with.

Would be interesting to see how many of the people in his areas would go with this badge over the real AMG badge....probably not many telling the real purpose of their false badging.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550
shove it huh? I could try that I guess..........but would I shove it in my butt? or my face? where is this shoving taking place?

okay, since you went that direction.........you're a poser......you car is a poser and not an AMG.....
you make the rest of us AMG owners look bad.....you want others to think your car is something it isn't........that's a form of lying: you're a liar man! LOL..........what else do you lie about in your life? makes no difference to me...........
you have really taken the low brow approach to this one leapinpoint
Lol, the butt hurting is strong in this post by some guys who swear that amg or mbz could given2 ****s about what people do with their mb's. Can you imagine if we all liked the same thing ? Let the guy do what he wants. You made your 2 cent comment , now move on.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I hear what you're saying usamuscle, and you're right, I gave my two cents.....

today I am going to buy some V12 badges and even a Turbo S badge for my cars.......despite the fact they are not a V12 or even an S turbo......
doesn't seem like it would be an issue...........
Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 AM

2011 E350 4-Matic Sport
Hey so.....Did you ever do that taillight mod? Please post some pics if you did. Don't really care about how your car is badged, you can have a Ferrari shield on there for all I care.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM

E-class
There really are big cultural differences around the world. Mr. leapingpoint seems to think that these differences also change the original car maker's culture, which I don't believe.

If he lives or spends time in an area where people put AMG stickers on their cars it tells about the culture, i.e. anything goes. There is no respect to anything.

A 100% opposite culture with this badging is in Germany. I have never seen any car in Germany (don't mean there isn't any) with badging saying the car is more than it is. In Germany they de-badge almost every car sold. This may be as people don't want to show what they don't have as on many cars without looking under the hood you really can't tell. They respect the cars and what they represent and seem not to be telling around that they have more than what it is.

The AMG badge on the trunk lid originally and still means that the engine is AMG built engine. They have AMG badges on some cars also on sides.

Perhaps MB should make another badge that shows that the cars design is AMG but would differentiate it from the true AMG. A badge that would say, for example, "Design AMG". This should go well with Mr. leapingpoint too as he says he only wants the AMG design and not to suggest the engine in the car is true AMG engine. That badge I personally would not have a problem with.

Would be interesting to see how many of the people in his areas would go with this badge over the real AMG badge....probably not many telling the real purpose of their false badging.
I can see that you're also making the assumption that I'm Chinese or of Chinese origin. Well, sorry to disappoint you, I'm not Chinese, I'm 100% American. So I don't get whatever culture point you were trying to make.

Someone has mentioned that cars with AMG packages also get the AMG badge in Portugal. Perhaps you're saying the Portuguese share similar cultural perspective with the Chinese on this? I don't think you want to go down that path, dude.

The AMG badge doesn't refer to the engine;
The E63 badge, or 6.3, V8 biturbo letterings on the sides do.
Clearly you've got those mixed up.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 AM

E-class
All right guys, time to put an end to this!
Can I kindly ask everyone to keep the discussion on my original question, please?

Update to my original post:

So the shop didn't have the red tape and would have to order. I asked the shop not to do that just yet because i start traveling for the holidays soon and wont be in China until after the Chinese New Year. So I'm putting this mod on hold for now.

But I like how the rear spoiler looks now. It's got two layers of tape: first, a layer of carbon fiber looking one, then a layer of clear one. It goes well with the black roof. I will upload some photos when I get a chance.

Last edited by leapingpoint; 12-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can see that you're also making the assumption that I'm Chinese or of Chinese origin. Well, sorry to disappoint you, I'm not Chinese, I'm 100% American. So I don't get whatever culture point you were trying to make.

Someone has mentioned that cars with AMG packages also get the AMG badge in Portugal. Perhaps you're saying the Portuguese share similar cultural perspective with the Chinese on this? I don't think you want to go down that path, dude.

The AMG badge doesn't refer to the engine;
The E63 badge, or 6.3, V8 biturbo letterings on the sides do.
Clearly you've got those mixed up.

Stop, Stop, Stop!!!

Where in the hell do you get the impression that I think you are Chinese? I just said if you live or spend your time in areas where anything goes. You now yourself are saying that Chinese people do not care and anything goes.

What comes to Portugal I have seen lots of E-class cars with the sports package but not one yet with the AMG badge other than one that really was an AMG car.

Yes, the E63 refers to the AMG but for everyday guy the AMG badge is what tells the engine in the car. AMG means power from the engine and it is the performance sector of the MB business. Early AMG cars did not even have any body trims to differentiate them from the normal cars or these differences were very, very limited. The difference with the AMG car was the engine and perhaps some improved suspension. All of the big body style differences have come during the last few years.

Go ask around people if they know what the AMG badge at the trunk lid of a MB car means. I can guarantee that of the people who are not MB drivers and specifically know it 9 of 10 say it means the power of the engine and not the body style of the car if they even know that.

The point is that most people who have heard of the AMG they know it is the symbol of the power (and very expensive at that).

What do you think the AMG on the Mercedes F1 car means, body or the power?

But, like you are as you are it does not matter what anybody says. I urge you to go read some MB and AMG history and you will learn what AMG originally was and you might even learn how the Mercedes brand name was born almost 100% thru car racing. MB has very long history with car races and it is very important for them. That is why they bought the AMG car engine tuner company to start with.

AMG simply means power in general people's mind. This may be different 10 years from now after enough people misuse the badge but still today it means the powerful and very expensive car.

Just to let you know, I would NEVER glue an AMG badge in the back of my car if the car did not have the true AMG engine on it. I could install the AMG tail pipe tips as they really look good but the AMG badge not. That badge I would need to spend some money for and I do respect people who have that money to spend. Perhaps one day I could do it myself and if that day comes I will feel a lot better for it if there isn't a fake AMG badged car around every street corner.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I agree with Arrie. Look, if you want to know what the AMG trunk badge stands for, go to the official Mercedes-AMG website and read their section on what makes an AMG and how to recognize an AMG automobile. The website goes into great detail to say an AMG is a comprehensively designed automobile, including the suspension, brakes, body design and engine. Under the section on how to identify an AMG, they say "OBVIOUSLY the AMG badge" located on the right side of the trunk. Secondly, the special numerical designation on the left side of the trunk lid such as E63. It is clear that the AMG trunk badge is intended only for automobiles meeting AMG's full design criteria and that is the primary way they identify their cars. Any other use of the AMG trunk badge violates AMG's intent and likely their copyright. Given the facts, again please read them at their official website, I personally would not put an AMG badge on my non AMG automobile. I have too much respect for what those letters stand for. Just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by TwinCam
I agree with Arrie. Look, if you want to know what the AMG trunk badge stands for, go to the official Mercedes-AMG website and read their section on what makes an AMG and how to recognize an AMG automobile. The website goes into great detail to say an AMG is a comprehensively designed automobile, including the suspension, brakes, body design and engine. Under the section on how to identify an AMG, they say "OBVIOUSLY the AMG badge" located on the right side of the trunk. Secondly, the special numerical designation on the left side of the trunk lid such as E63. It is clear that the AMG trunk badge is intended only for automobiles meeting AMG's full design criteria and that is the primary way they identify their cars. Any other use of the AMG trunk badge violates AMG's intent and likely their copyright. Given the facts, again please read them at their official website, I personally would not put an AMG badge on my non AMG automobile. I have too much respect for what those letters stand for. Just my opinion.
+1! Indeed. Its obvious the dealers in these other countries are putting AMG badges on Sport Package vehicles to sell them when they are not real AMG cars. I wonder if one can even get a real AMG car from dealers in those areas/markets?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mod continues... what do you guys think?!