Ratings for CLA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Ratings for CLA

Was going to post this in the CLA forum, but couldn't find it. Assume CLA AMG Forum is actually separate from CLA.
Consumer Reports had a report on it and ranked it very low. They also placed it on their worst cars reviewed in 2013 list.
While CR has its own biases, it is still a responsible organization that has been testing and reporting on cars for many decades.
This low result on a brand new car makes me wonder (again) if DBAG/MB are trying to develop and manufacture too many different types of cars and models, some at very low production levels.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
In my opinion while I agree CR is credible, they are credible according to thier requirements of a good vehicle. The car is small, not roomy, no large trunck and will not win any fuel mileage contests, and is priced over $30,000. So for consumer reports that is almost a no brainer. It is not a value as far as cars go, but the point of it is not to be a value for the general car buyer, but rather a value for the entry luxury car buyer which i believe it does so pretty well.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Consumer Report doesn't care much about style neither.

If someone make a big box that doesn't roll over. Consumer Report will love it. j/k
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Did the report say why they ranked it where they did? If so care to share? (if not, I'd say that is an interesting report worthy of some further discussion).
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er
i don't get this car. i wouldn't have produced this car. millennial's are into cost and/or fuel efficiency, for the most part because their timing into the job market is unfortunate (although it is debatable whether these people are simply too entitled to work hard thanks to an extremely leftist educational and parenting system, but that's another can of worms). so the price is over the target audience, the performance (250) is under the competition, the fuel efficiency is under the competition, the "essence" of the brand is vaguely implemented... yikes.

just do an a-class or b-class and designate the vehicles as cost/fuel efficient but with the brand's special blend of luxury, safety, and build quality.

or do this car right, and put it under the CLK moniker.

Last edited by E Classy; 01-09-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
"The sleek-looking CLA250 is a front-drive, compact, "four-door coupe" that debuted as Mercedes' price leader -- mid $30s decently equipped. It does a few things well: It's quick if you hammer the pedal, fairly agile, and the cabin is upscale and well finished. Fuel economy of 28 mpg is respectable, too. But the driving experience falls well short of a typical Mercedes. The cabin is noisy and cramped, especially in the rear, the ride is a bit choppy, the view out is seriously impaired, and access is difficult both front and rear. The 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and seven-speed automatic lack refinement. 4Matic all-wheel drive is optional and a high-performance AMG version, the 355-hp CLA45, tops the range."

Why buy one:
  • Looks fantastic
  • The powerful lure of the three-pointed star
  • Attractive tease of a sub-$30,000 starting sticker price
  • 28 mpg is rather fuel-efficient
Why not buy one:
  • Lacks the handling, ride, and refinement expected from a Mercedes-Benz
  • Very cramped interior
  • Despite good performance numbers, car can feel sluggish to drive
  • Difficult driver visibility
  • Really hard to get in or out
  • Tiny trunk opening
I think it got the black marks mostly because of what has been said, not really up to MB standards and horrible rear room and visibility.

I can't disagree with any of it. We all can dislike it as much as we want the market will vote with their wallet and if early sales are any indication the CLA will do just fine in the US.

What you have to remember is that MB has been successful with their A and B class vehicle offerings in Europe so it's only the stuck-up North Americans who live in the delusional world of MB = luxury. And that delusion will actually play rather nicely with the $30k price point to lure new buyers in.

Remember folks, the typical E-class owner is not the target market for the CLA and for some of us it's hard to understand why anyone would buy one. If we could understand then maybe we'd be the target market.

As an anecdotal story a friend of mine went to check out the CLA and ended up buying a used C-class instead with 10k miles on the odo. She loved the way the car looked, got her in the dealership but she hated exactly the same things that CR hated: tiny interior and horrible visibility.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
Majority of people purchasing a CLA are first time Mercedes owners, and much younger demoraphic.. so basically they have no idea what a "true Mercedes" should feel like. That's why they offer things like red stitching, red brake calipers and carbon fiber. They are just happy to be driving a car with the 3 point star on the front. The car looks good, but its tiny, front wheel drive, and a 4 cyl.. not my style
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by GregTR
[I] We all can dislike it as much as we want the market will vote with their wallet and if early sales are any indication the CLA will do just fine in the US.

What you have to remember is that MB has been successful with their A and B class vehicle offerings in Europe so it's only the stuck-up North Americans who live in the delusional world of MB = luxury. And that delusion will actually play rather nicely with the $30k price point to lure new buyers in.

Remember folks, the typical E-class owner is not the target market for the CLA and for some of us it's hard to understand why anyone would buy one. If we could understand then maybe we'd be the target market.
These are very accurate comments !

For many years, the B Class has and continues to be very successful in Canada. Now, where I live, the CLA is backordered, with wait times of up to 9 months for the AMG version !!

While the CLA may not be the E Class buyers' cup of tea, it seems to have found a very significant market in North America, with recent US monthly sales of some 6000 units ! The CLA is one reason why MB sales in the US for 2013 were up by 14% for the year and 17% for December.

And for those naysayers of the face-lifted E Class, its US sales increased by an astonishing 25% for December, far outselling the 5 Series !!! In fact, in the same month, the E Class outsold the C Class !!!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I think that Mercedes may have fallen off the backward moving ledge with this one. As you move from the s class toward the c class, you get not only smaller but a somewhat downward trend in materials and luxury feel. The cla appears to have taken one step back too many. Being a value type of person, I would be embarassed to be seen in such a bad proposition vehicle. I would buy a loaded Japanese car, an Accord, first by a wide margin. I would buy a CPO c class or similar car. A joke. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by bigigg
Majority of people purchasing a CLA are first time Mercedes owners, and much younger demoraphic.. so basically they have no idea what a "true Mercedes" should feel like. That's why they offer things like red stitching, red brake calipers and carbon fiber. They are just happy to be driving a car with the 3 point star on the front. The car looks good, but its tiny, front wheel drive, and a 4 cyl.. not my style
agreed. and i'm not sure they are the target demographic either - most of them are probably older. a sale is a sale, but i suspect those ADD buyers will soon grow tired of the shiny ball that distracted them into signing a lease agreement, and realize what a poor impulsive purchase they made around halfway through.

i don't believe the CLA will last very long, but we'll see. there's a apparently a market segment for everything these days. the GLA is another question mark. who could possibly want that? the GLK is certainly small enough.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by E Classy
The GLA is another question mark. who could possibly want that? the GLK is certainly small enough.
Who wants an SUV, period? The GLA is more for the Golf/A4 Allroad/BMW 3GT buyer while the GLK is more for the Tiguan/Q3/X1 buyer. They all suck imho. Very little sport, zero utility.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM

BMW 5er
lol - you're right, the zero-utility thing is mind boggling as you move down the line. as is the sheer amount of these slightly different compact SUV things. the back seats are a joke.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Who wants an SUV, period? The GLA is more for the Golf/A4 Allroad/BMW 3GT buyer while the GLK is more for the Tiguan/Q3/X1 buyer. They all suck imho. Very little sport, zero utility.
SUV's do have utility if you live in an area with winter weather, better all weather tires and ground clearence for snow. Good for hauling stuff as well with one or both back seats down. Don't diss on the owners of SUV's, they make sense for lots of people!! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by ngerstman
SUV's do have utility if you live in an area with winter weather, better all weather tires and ground clearence for snow. Good for hauling stuff as well with one or both back seats down. Don't diss on the owners of SUV's, they make sense for lots of people!! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Interestingly I mostly see them on the roads of suburban Texas where the need for one is nil. That and all the air hauling F150s... I have more utility, room and way better handling in my E-wagon than anyone in an ML. Plus I can fit 7 passengers if I ever need to. Try that in an ML.

The larger ground clearance is absolutely unnecessary for 99% of the people, snow or not, whose cars will never ever leave the pavement, on purpose, ever.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Interestingly I mostly see them on the roads of suburban Texas where the need for one is nil. That and all the air hauling F150s... I have more utility, room and way better handling in my E-wagon than anyone in an ML. Plus I can fit 7 passengers if I ever need to. Try that in an ML.

The larger ground clearance is absolutely unnecessary for 99% of the people, snow or not, whose cars will never ever leave the pavement, on purpose, ever.
There has no doubt been an SUV mania for 20 years now. You are right that many people do not need them at all. Most people don't realize the additional fatigue factor as well in driving them as you are always fighting way more body roll than in a sedan. Many people, especially women, also love the higher sight line, feel more secure. It is also easy to get things in and out of with the higher height of the cargo area. But I hear you!! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 PM

I am sure people said the same thing 30 years ago when they introduced the 190E.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by instantfob
I am sure people said the same thing 30 years ago when they introduced the 190E.
Yes, so true !! But for me, the purchase of a 1984 190E was my introduction to the marque and I have been 'hooked' ever since. Many folks said at that time that MB had made a huge mistake in going down market, "they were cheapening the brand" !

Even though the CLA is not even close to the quality standard of the C or E Classes, it is attracting a new and younger group of buyers to the brand. E Classy may be right in saying " I don't believe the CLA will last very long." But who really knows at this point ? What is true is that the GLK has been a huge success for MB in North America.

Last edited by DerekACS; 01-10-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM

BMW 5er
i'm not against going down-market, but it should be well executed. they have the A/B/CLA vehicles that probably could be streamlined into 1 excellent design, with a few different engine choices depending on your preference for performance/economy. make it comfortable and safe. done.

i'm against creating too many variants to create niche markets that don't actually exist until those variants are announced, and then people convince themselves after the public relations techniques are applied that they ought to be driving one. that is the gripe with the CLA - it doesn't make sense without the lure.

perhaps the numbers are better when you have a bigger portfolio of blended crap rather than a smaller portfolio of strict quality. there has to be a reason everyone is building so many goofball cars these days.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Mercedes had a bad taste in their mouth still from the C230K Coupe back in early 2000s.

BMW failed with 318ti
Mercedes failed with C230K Coupe

I guess not bringing the regular A/B class is to avoid playing in the mud with VW GTi game.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Wow you guys sound just like the stereotypical pompous Mercedes owner.
Your choice in vehicles is the only right one! Everyone else is stupid!

Good Job Guys... Now break out your smoking pipe, put on your slippers, and go chase the Jehovah's Witnesses away from your 30ft gold plated front gate.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Hey now ... I love the CLA250s.
Everytime I see one on the road in LA, it's usally a cute girl driving it.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 PM

2013 E350 Sedan
Hey now ... I love the CLA250s.
Everytime I see one on the road in LA, it's usally a cute girl driving it.
I noticed that.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by aprevo15
I noticed that.
No doubt blonde and dumb! Regards. Ned.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Everyone else is stupid!
finally, somebody gets it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Higher ground clearance isn't always about leaving the pavement. For example, my retired parents are looking at getting into a GLK/X3/Q5 simply for the ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. With their current C class, they have to bend down to get in and out. That is getting more difficult to do as they age. With a small SUV such as GLK, they can pretty much get in and out standing up. Its high enough to allow them to do that without getting too big/heavy and gas hungry.

So while an SUV may not suit your needs or my needs (I also have an E-Wagon), it does suit needs of some other folks.

Similarly I know several younger folks who are a year or two out of college in their first jobs and have a need for a nice new car. the CLA is at a price point they can afford. They don't need a large car as they are single. They don't necessarily need all the leather and wood of a C or E class either.
Nothing wrong with MB trying to get into other markets. Once you get used to driving European vehicles, its hard to drive anything else. Getting those young folks into an entry MB will likely help keep them in the MB family down the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ratings for CLA