Any reason not to do this: brake hold then stop button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,444 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Any reason not to do this: brake hold then stop button

in order to put the car in park, I've been coming to a stop, applying brake hold, then hitting the stop button, and it automatically puts the car in park and shuts down -- any reason not to do this? is it not recommended?

thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Knowing how sensitive this transmission is ...

I would stick with the more old school way of PARK >> PARKING BRAKE >> Engine OFF.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Knowing that this is a drive by wire system I see nothing wrong with doing that...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I dont bother to apply brake hold. I just hit the start/stop button and open the door. It shuts down then shifts into park, which is reverse from what you posted. I also never use the parking brake unless I am parking on an incline.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
The parking brake is there to protect the park pawl in the transmission. There is no reason not to use it every time you park.

You should put it on prior to putting the car into park - that little "bounce" the car gives against the driveline when it is not used puts unneeded stress on the park pawl, flex discs, and everything else.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
The parking brake is there to protect the park pawl in the transmission. There is no reason not to use it every time you park.

You should put it on prior to putting the car into park - that little "bounce" the car gives against the driveline when it is not used puts unneeded stress on the park pawl, flex discs, and everything else.
Unless you park in a steep incline I don't know any other reason to use the parking brake than keep it working. Not using it can make it inoperable.

In some countries where they do a very detailed car inspections it is important to use the parking brake as it really can get stuck by corrosion if not used especially in the areas where salt is used on roads in winter times.

I have used mine once when I parked in a steep incline.

And there is nothing that would be over stressed in the transmission system when not using the parking brake.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
There is no reason not to use it every time you park.
That is correct but there is also no reason to use it unless parked on an incline.
If your car has a little "bounce" when you park then you are parked on an incline.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Arrie
And there is nothing that would be over stressed in the transmission system when not using the parking brake.
Yes, there is... the mechanical parking pawl (which is quite small, mind you...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl
http://myautomatictransmission.com/t...kiing-pawl.htm

One of the jobs I put myself through college with was working in an automobile dealer service department. Broken parking pawls are not uncommon to see.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Yes, there is... the mechanical parking pawl (which is quite small, mind you...).

Parking pawl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://myautomatictransmission.com/t...kiing-pawl.htm

One of the jobs I put myself through college with was working in an automobile dealer service department. Broken parking pawls are not uncommon to see.
It is amazing how much luck I have had with all of my cars. I basically NEVER use the parking brake other than if I park in an incline that really rolls the car. I don't care of the small ones like in some parking garages. And I have never had a hint of problems with the parking pawl.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
This was a Saturn dealer that I worked at. One of the more hilarious yet sad things I saw was this: A woman brought in a VUE because "park wasn't working". When she pulled into the service lane, she got out of her car and came in to sign in for her service appointment. Her car rolled backwards about 75 feet across the parking lot before reverse t-boning a brand new VUE.

When we asked her why she hadn't set the parking brake (knowing that park wasn't working at this point, as that is why she brought it in), she said she didn't know where it was (they have a handbrake lever). I had to excuse myself at that point...

I guess that hit it home for me to make it a habit.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011

Further to this, I put the car in neutral, then apply the parking brake, ease my foot off the brake pedal and make sure that the parking brake is in fact holding the car, then put the transmission into park.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 PM

E 250
Making it an automatic action is how I deal with it all. Kinda like putting on the seat belt, I just always do it.

(1) stop the car
(2) press the started/stop button, turning off the car (this leaves it in Neutral)
(3) stomp on the parking brake
(4) open door, which puts it into Park

And since the parking break is always on, I just always release it after starting the car.

My biggest problem is getting use to the audio system staying on until I open the door. I like it, though it just "feels wrong" ;-)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

I have never used the parking brake in my entire life (probably a dumb idea) on any car and never had a problem, of course this will be the car that has the problem.

seems like after reading all this, i'd rather brake hold then hit the stop button to ensure the car is in park in case I decide not to get out right away.

When I first brought this heap home in sept 2013, my 3 year old was running behind the car after I had shut it off (he knows not to come by the car when it's on) and I hadn't hit the park button and I felt it creep backwards and slammed on the brakes (which at this point had lost that vacuum power) and panicked for a second before I realized I hadn't hit the button. The car was off so I didn't have camera or anything. hit the park button and the car stopped and all is well, but man.... I don't even want to go there.

completely my fault but it taught me to be extremely careful with this car's gear shifter.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
I miss the old school shift gate. Putting it in park was "fun." No touchy buttons to worry about. Just slam 'er in to park and get out.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
Originally Posted by michael61
Making it an automatic action is how I deal with it all. Kinda like putting on the seat belt, I just always do it.

(1) stop the car
(2) press the started/stop button, turning off the car (this leaves it in Neutral)
(3) stomp on the parking brake
(4) open door, which puts it into Park

And since the parking break is always on, I just always release it after starting the car.

My biggest problem is getting use to the audio system staying on until I open the door. I like it, though it just "feels wrong" ;-)
does this seem like a weird sequence of event for anyone else? why would you turn the car off before putting on the brake? i always thought it was, stop, parking brake if on incline, park, turn off.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 PM

E 250
Originally Posted by mikeyle
does this seem like a weird sequence of event for anyone else? why would you turn the car off before putting on the brake? i always thought it was, stop, parking brake if on incline, park, turn off.
I guess I rarely park on an incline. I also have my foot on the brake while I'm turning off the car. Thinking about it, I suppose I have my right foot on the brake while I push the button to turn off the car and stomp on the parking brake with my left foot. Concurrently? Maybe. I'd have to observe myself doing next time ;-)

I always put on the parking brake. Why? Mostly because my wife aways reminded me to do so if I didn't. 20+ years of habit...
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM

E 250
At the risk of beating a dead horse...

I checked exactly how I do this. I apparently keep my foot on the brake pretty much from the time I come to a stop to the moment I get out of the car.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

I've noticed that when I come to a stop, do the brake hold, then hit STOP, the car rocks a bit before park is engaged automatically.

When I come to a stop, hit the park button, then turn the car off, no rocking or roll. I can see this rock & roll causing troubles downstream.