2014 E350 Sport Distronics Plus Steering Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport
2014 E350 Sport Distronics Plus Steering Assist

Hi,

New here and just got a new 2014 E350 in December. It has the 997 Driver Assistance Package which works well except for the steering assist. The steering assist always pulls to the right no matter how clearly the lane lines are marked and if you turn off it does not pull.

It's almost like the Steering assist is drunk as when you take your hand off the wheel the steering assist will immediately pull to the right almost going over the line and then goes back to the center and then pulls to the right line. Instead of tracking straight it just does this weave.

I also read a test drive review and in that review they noted the same pull to the right so they turned it off.

Can this be fixed by the dealer? Anyone else having this problem?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
What you feel is probably the disagreement between you and the computer as to what is the center of the lane. You prefer to drive closer to the left and the computer is trying to compensate for it and pull the car to the center which you perceive as pulling to the right.

If you just let go of the steering wheel when the car is not tracking relatively straight the car will go from left to right to left to right etc. in a zig-zag between the lane markers as it keeps over compensating. Once you are in the middle and heading straight it will keep it straight with fairly high accuracy.

I used to feel that I was fighting the steering assist all the time but after 6k miles I find it working rather well and as advertised. It is a weird feeling at first and takes some time getting used to. Also note that it is an assist, not autopilot. It helps with eliminating the effort needed to steer on the interstate at high speed and helps to follow the cars in stop and go slow traffic. It is not meant to steer your car unsupervised. I find my wife's Audi A4 steering horribly hard and heavy now at any and all speeds.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Hi,

My experience is no matter where you are in the lane it always pulls to the right. Even if you are tracking dead center and let go it will pull right then go back left and then right doing a weave.

I might take a video and put it on Youtube.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Now that you say it, I have never had the car correct itself and pull back to the left. (by correct itself, at speed and when the warning red line and car image appear in the middle of the dash.) Is that what you are talking about?
or....
Now it will practically drive itself at low speeds while following a car. Case in point the other day I was showing the wife how it worked and the car in front quickly exited onto the interstate on ramp and the car tried to follow it. it does seem to wander a lot back and forth in the lane while doing this too and I have noticed that it does not seem to recognize a curb like it does a painted line.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
My car hugs the right line with steering assist active, whereas I would normally drive closer to the left line. I do not have the darting effect except somewhat on gentle curves.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 PM

2014 E350 Sport
I tried it today at around 70 Mph on a newer section of 680 in
Fremont, CA and it pulled to the right wanting to hug the right line and then once it almost crosses the right line it corrects and goes back to almost center of the lane and then goes back to the right line. Not good when the lane next to you has a car.

I tried to do a video but doesn't really work from the driver's side recording the center. Need to have a passenger hold the camera and look at the right line as a point of reference to see what is happening.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,412 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Mine drives straight, you need yours calibrated

I have the same drive assist package

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a black one inbound in early April with this, I'll be trying this for the first time! Hopefully I won't get into any bad situations...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Now that you say it, I have never had the car correct itself and pull back to the left. (by correct itself, at speed and when the warning red line and car image appear in the middle of the dash.) Is that what you are talking about?
or....
Now it will practically drive itself at low speeds while following a car. Case in point the other day I was showing the wife how it worked and the car in front quickly exited onto the interstate on ramp and the car tried to follow it. it does seem to wander a lot back and forth in the lane while doing this too and I have noticed that it does not seem to recognize a curb like it does a painted line.
The first thing you're talking about is not Steering Assist, it is Active Lane Assist and mine works on both left and right as long as it sees a solid lane marker. I have crossed over the right solid line while trying to make a right turn off of a service road and it pulled me back into the lane with some beeping numerous times. If you put your blinker on it inhibits the behavior. Actually you can have it in two different modes, Adaptive and regular, it's all in the manual.

The second thing you're talking about only works up to about 35 mph. Above that speed the system concentrates more on lane markings and less on vehicles. Again, it's also in the manual.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

E 250
Originally Posted by GregTR
The first thing you're talking about is not Steering Assist, it is Active Lane Assist and mine works on both left and right as long as it sees a solid lane marker. I have crossed over the right solid line while trying to make a right turn off of a service road and it pulled me back into the lane with some beeping numerous times. If you put your blinker on it inhibits the behavior. Actually you can have it in two different modes, Adaptive and regular, it's all in the manual.
Active Lane Keeping Assist is the one "active" system that I don't use. I prefer the "regular" lane keeping assist, where it simply bumps the steering wheel when I cross a line.

I have to say, these systems have trained me to always use my turns signals when I change lanes.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the active assist on my 2011. I wish it did that for dotted lines too, but it only does it for solid lines, it rumbles for the dotted lines.

yup teaches you to use your turn signal.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by drsaab
I like the active assist on my 2011. I wish it did that for dotted lines too, but it only does it for solid lines, it rumbles for the dotted lines.

yup teaches you to use your turn signal.
You don't have Distronic+ with Steering Assist on a 2011. You have Distronic+ and Active Lane Keeping Assist. The two are totally different.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Mine drives straight, you need yours calibrated

I have the same drive assist package
Service advisor not aware how to calibrate the the Steering Assist. Going to go for a drive with them tomorrow and show them the problem but not sure if they can fix if it cannot be calibrated.

Any dealers or service people here ever done this or know more about how to correct this problem?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
My E350 has the full driver assist packages and for the first 2000 miles I too fought the car to stay more left. However, I now have gotten used to being in its "center of the lane". Active steering under 19 mph is almost 100% perfect and at 80mph+ it never swerves. Only at the mid-speeds does it tend to gently go side to side.

For the Active Lane Assist, it has worked to keep me in my lane, and seems to activate more if I drift across the line vs. my actively steering across a line.

I drive more with the systems on than off and now truly appreciate their guidance.

And it's oh so fun to watch my passengers eyes bug out when the steering wheel turns by itself.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM

2014 E250 BT
I have the package and once I set it on the highway I don't feel that it goes to the right or left. The only time is gets zig-zag is one turns it occasionally gets confused when coming out so I usually take over to get it straight again. A few times I have left it to see if it corrects. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. If they can refine that somehow then it would be great!

I will try to make a note tonight when heading home to see if the car tracks to one side but I want to say its straight that I can take a nap for a few minutes while it drives ;-p
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I've got to find this manual thing everyone keeps talking about!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

2014 E250 BT
From my drive home and to work today (50miles each way). I did not feel that the car hugged either side of the lane and stayed in the center of the lane. The only thing I noticed was the car likes to make slight/minor corrections both left and right while driving in a straight line. When my hand is on the wheel (for the 10 second warning) there is enough pressure so the car doesn't make the minute adjustments.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I did a 300 km trip a few weeks ago and the car basically drove it self there and back 80% of the time with my knee on the wheel. Mine keeps dead center from 60-140 km/h. Autonomous cars aren't that far away.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by benyl
I did a 300 km trip a few weeks ago and the car basically drove it self there and back 80% of the time with my knee on the wheel. Mine keeps dead center from 60-140 km/h. Autonomous cars aren't that far away.
That is why I got this car with these options

Took a test drive with service and they confirmed the problem. They weren't sure how to calibrate so going to research and get back to me with what they can do to resolve.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by davahad
Hi,

New here and just got a new 2014 E350 in December. It has the 997 Driver Assistance Package which works well except for the steering assist. The steering assist always pulls to the right no matter how clearly the lane lines are marked and if you turn off it does not pull.

It's almost like the Steering assist is drunk as when you take your hand off the wheel the steering assist will immediately pull to the right almost going over the line
and then goes back to the center and then pulls to the right line. Instead of tracking straight it just does this weave.

I also read a test drive review and in that review they noted the same pull to the right so they turned it off.

Can this be fixed by the dealer? Anyone else having this problem?
I tried it today at around 70 Mph on a newer section of 680 in
Fremont, CA and it pulled to the right wanting to hug the right line and then once it almost crosses the right line it corrects and goes back to almost center of the lane and then goes back to the right line. Not good when the lane next to you has a car.

I tried to do a video but doesn't really work from the driver's side recording the center. Need to have a passenger hold the camera and look at the right line as a point of reference to see what is happening.
That is why I got this car with these options

Took a test drive with service and they confirmed the problem. They weren't sure how to calibrate so going to research and get back to me with what they can do to resolve.
My car is exhibiting the same exact problem; took it to dealer and had SA test drive with me, he witnessed the issue for himself, but as usual the techs are stumped. Did you get closure/resolution to your issue?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:57 PM

2014 E350 Sport
No closure I turned the feature off as it makes you look like you are driving drunk and the dealer and Mercedes both insist it is performing as designed. I just had my car in for service and asked them to check if there has been a software update to improve this and they said no. Since I have had this car they have not had 1 update for steering assist.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Well I guess it's both a good thing and a bad thing to know it's not an isolated problem: good because I know I am not losing my mind and this is indeed a valid & recurring/common issue; and bad because, well, shame on Mercedes.
So much for "The Best or Nothing"...
Old 01-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
my friend's gls450 had a similar issue with the steering assist and got tired of dealing with it. This along with some other annoyances now has her in the large infinity suv.