E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

LED headlights

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
LED headlights

I would like to know if I can install full LED bulbs on 2014 E 350.
The standard headlights I have has LED low beam but the regular (non LED) high beam looks kind of weird and out of place. Is it possible just to change the bulb? Don't get me wrong, I do like the current look of my headlights. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
No
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Thanks Greg. So if I want full LED lights I may need to get the full lighting package. Is is even possible to retrofit it? I thought that was a factory fitted option.
Any idea about the cost for fitting it (if its possible to do so).
Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
If you want the full adaptive headlights then the answer is No.
If you just want the headlights without the adaptive features then yes and its a simple headlight swap. At least it is a simple swap for the E coupe, so I am making the assumption that it will be the same for the sedan.
The E coupe guys have done it, but I dont think any of the sedan forum members have done it yet... Probably because of misinformation like the one you initially got.

If you want to do it then I would PM the E coupe guy that did it.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er

Last edited by E Classy; 03-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 AM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
If you want the full adaptive headlights then the answer is No.
If you just want the headlights without the adaptive features then yes and its a simple headlight swap. At least it is a simple swap for the E coupe, so I am making the assumption that it will be the same for the sedan.
The E coupe guys have done it, but I dont think any of the sedan forum members have done it yet... Probably because of misinformation like the one you initially got.

If you want to do it then I would PM the E coupe guy that did it.
From the simple cost perspective it is cost prohibitive: https://mbworld.org/forums/5887479-post16.html

From the technical sense it is not a simple swap as much as you would like to believe.

A quick glance at the WIS shows that while the connector is the same 14 pin connector and there are wires going to pins on both types of vehicles the wires are hardly the same.

For starters, the full LED uses 2.5mm ground wires on pins 5 and 10 while the stationary one uses 1.5mm ground wires on the same pins. While both units get power on pin 9 from a 15A fuse from the rear SAM (fuse 74) the full adaptive LED also gets power from Fuse 75 via a 20A fuse on pin 7 on a 2.5mm wire which on the regular headlight is a 1.0mm wire going to 56a "main beam" on the front SAM.

They both talk on the CAN bus on pins 1 and 2 and I'm pretty sure they say different things. They also receive high/low beam status signal via CAN bus commands as there is no real high-beam signal going to these puppies otherwise.

But yeah, otherwise it's totally plug and play, just heaven forbid the stepping motors go out of alignment on the adaptive unit without having proper input or power for them or you draw more current than the wiring is rated for...

But then again, what do I know? I have no anecdotal evidence to back my claim...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
I believe that coupe owner did replace a SAM, or some other stuff. I didnt follow the thread.
I was just letting the OP know that it is not "impossible," when he does a little research the cost may turn him off, the complexity involved may turn him off, or he may get lucky discover that all he has to replace is a couple wires and an aftermarket bulb like he wanted.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Wow... Greg, that's too much information for me to handle. I would be interested only if it's possible to swap out the halogen bulb to LED ones ( static only, no fiddling with motors). Looks like it's not a practical option for now. Will check with MB dealer whenever I'm visiting them for my first service.

Last edited by pamiboy; 03-04-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 AM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Wow... Greg, that's too much information for me to handle. I would be interested only if it's possible to swap out the halogen bulb to LED ones ( static only, no fiddling with motors). Looks like it's not a practical option for now. Will check with MB dealer whenever I'm visiting them for my first service.
There is no H7 LED bulb that would produce any kind of meaningful light output or pattern as of right now, period: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ulbs-with-LEDs
Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 AM

2014 E350 Wagon
I believe that coupe owner did replace a SAM, or some other stuff. I didnt follow the thread.
I was just letting the OP know that it is not "impossible," when he does a little research the cost may turn him off, the complexity involved may turn him off, or he may get lucky discover that all he has to replace is a couple wires and an aftermarket bulb like he wanted.
Again, the misinformation and anecdotal evidence is strong here.

The difference between my original response of a simple "no" and yours reminds me of this:

Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by GregTR
Again, the misinformation and anecdotal evidence is strong here.

The difference between my original response of a simple "no" and yours reminds me of this:

Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance' - YouTube
It seems that you were answering his first question and I was answering his second.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM

2014 E350 Wagon
It seems that you were answering his first question and I was answering his second.
Nope, the answer is "no" to both of those questions.

1) There is no H7 LEd bulb on the market that would make a viable high beam replacement. The thread I linked to is 3 years old but looking at this thread over here indicates nothing changed in the past 3 years: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396634

2) Retrofitting the entire Adaptive LED headlight system is while definitely possible is cost prohibitive. You'd be better off selling your car and buying one with the right options instead. So yeah, "theoretically" it's possible but "realistically" it's not.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
There is no H7 LED bulb that would produce any kind of meaningful light output or pattern as of right now, period: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ulbs-with-LEDs
I'm confused now. So what kind of LED bulbs do the MB lighting package use? Or for that matter any other cars such as Audi , BMW , VW, etc use. I believe they have a high beam LED light which are much brighter? ??
Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM

2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by pamiboy
I'm confused now. So what kind of LED bulbs do the MB lighting package use? Or for that matter any other cars such as Audi , BMW , VW, etc use. I believe they have a high beam LED light which are much brighter? ??
They use custom designed LEDs with matched optics and electronics not confined to the reflector dish and the physical dimensions of an H7 halogen bulb.

You have to think of it as a complete lighting system, the LED is just one part of it. The reflector and projector optics and electronics play just as big of a part in the whole setup.

When you're trying to put a xenon/HID or LED bulb in the place of a halogen bulb in an H7 form factor you're trying to putting a square peg through a round hole.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
OK, I think I finally got it. Thanks Greg for your explanation and Tjdehya for your alternative views.
I'm planning to keep my car and my headlights as it is for long..... long time.

Last edited by pamiboy; 03-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Nope, the answer is "no" to both of those questions.

1) There is no H7 LEd bulb on the market that would make a viable high beam replacement. The thread I linked to is 3 years old but looking at this thread over here indicates nothing changed in the past 3 years: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396634

2) Retrofitting the entire Adaptive LED headlight system is while definitely possible is cost prohibitive. You'd be better off selling your car and buying one with the right options instead. So yeah, "theoretically" it's possible but "realistically" it's not.
Wow, you just contradicted yourself in one post. I think its an unwritten internet law that you do it in two posts and bonus points if you do it in separate threads.
You are also ignoring the FACT that it has been done before...
So just because you are scared to attempt this mod does not make it impossible.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
Wow, you just contradicted yourself in one post. I think its an unwritten internet law that you do it in two posts and bonus points if you do it in separate threads.
You are also ignoring the FACT that it has been done before...
So just because you are scared to attempt this mod does not make it impossible.
Uhm, I think we're back to the Dumb&Dumber analogy... Feel free to argue semantics, the bottom line is that you must be pretty dumb or stupid rich to attempt this mod. And no, it has not been done on a W212 before and based on the WIS it's not a simple plug&play, never mind the fact that the functionality would still not be there even if the wires connected just right.

I'm not scared, I was bright enough to order my car with the lighting package to avoid this very "problem".
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM

BMW 5er

Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by E Classy
alright, let's summer donna...

a couple of years ago i took my bmw headlights out ($1100 a piece) and had them opened up to retrofit bright white LED corona rings in place of the halogen versions... you have to find an LED high-beam bulb that fits into the space where your halogen bulbs are now, and that comes with the proper wiring that can be fit back into the connector/harness, and that doesn't throw any faults/errors.

it's a whole task:
*find a reputable aftermarket LED retrofit bulb solution
*remove your headlights
*open the casing
*retrofit the new bulbs
*test them
*close the headlights back up
*put them back in

also, you headlights will no longer be under warranty.

how often do you use your high-beams? i haven't even turned them on yet, in over 5000 miles.
Not really that simple. The full LED headlamps do not have a high beam / low beam setup.

All 4 projectors are on all the time. Different parts of the LED unit light up depending on what you are doing. If you are turning, it floods in the direction you are going. Nothing "moves" it is all internal.

Changing your H7 bulb to an LED or an HID in the basic LED headlamp won't avail you anything.

Changing the corona rings is totally different.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Thanks guys. I think it is futile to pursue this discussion any longer. I didn't really know that LED lights were so complicated. I like my current lights even more now and love the peace of mind that comes with warranty. Cheers for all.

Last edited by pamiboy; 03-04-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM

BMW 5er

Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Yes, that was exactly my original question. Now I'm more educated and wiser.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 AM

e350
The sam units for the full led and standard led are the same? Also, by just connecting the lighting package headlight to the standard headlight cable from the car would turn it on like normal? I think there would have to be some programming done to recognize the headlight?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Originally Posted by E Classy
i don't think OP wants the full-LED experience, he just wants to change the look of the halogen high beams to match the low-beam LED. yes, it's an appearance mod. and not a cheap or easy one.
The H7 bulb must be user replaceable. Get some hyperwhite Halogen bulbs and call it a day.

Originally Posted by ph350
The sam units for the full led and standard led are the same? Also, by just connecting the lighting package headlight to the standard headlight cable from the car would turn it on like normal? I think there would have to be some programming done to recognize the headlight?
From what I have read, the wiring is different. Different pins do different things. The gauge of the wire in the wiring harness is also different. I don't know about the standard LED unit, but each of the lighting package headlights have a cooling fan built in. There are 6 fans on the car and when they are all going full tilt, it is really loud outside the car.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM

e350
Originally Posted by benyl
The H7 bulb must be user replaceable. Get some hyperwhite Halogen bulbs and call it a day.

From what I have read, the wiring is different. Different pins do different things. The gauge of the wire in the wiring harness is also different. I don't know about the standard LED unit, but each of the lighting package headlights have a cooling fan built in. There are 6 fans on the car and when they are all going full tilt, it is really loud outside the car.

Thats what I thought, I can't be as easy as buying the upgraded lights and pluging them in. Even if you can live without the adaptive beam function, I don't think the sensors for the automatic high beams would function. The high beams would be on all the time and that would be dangerous.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED headlights