E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 E350 - Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
2014 E350 - Car Won't Start

I picked up a 2014 Polar White E350 4matic in September of 2013. Last night as I was leaving work, I got into the car to find out the car would not start. The car still had electrical energy as the Command system was fully functional and all the lights would turn on. The car however, would not even attempt to crank. I called mBrace and they had the car towed to the nearest dealer (45 miles away).

Today, I received a call from the dealer service dept saying they would look into the issue. Dealer said they would give a call back with more info, but never did. I had to call and be put on hold for 20 mins until I finally got to speak with a service advisor that didn't know what was going on with the car other than that a part had to be ordered. I finally got to talk to the manager at the dealer who told me it was some issue with an ignition part and that they had to order it. Anyone else have any issues such as this? Worst part is the dealer is booked out of loaner cars for a week or so. This is not the type or service one would expect when purchasing a brand new car, especially a Mercedes. Very unhappy with the service from MB right now.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
I have to say your case is rare one. MBZ quality has been up there with recent model years. No loaner car? Out here in CA you won't see that.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 931 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by alpha8a
I picked up a 2014 Polar White E350 4matic in September of 2013. Last night as I was leaving work, I got into the car to find out the car would not start. The car still had electrical energy as the Command system was fully functional and all the lights would turn on. The car however, would not even attempt to crank. I called mBrace and they had the car towed to the nearest dealer (45 miles away).

Today, I received a call from the dealer service dept saying they would look into the issue. Dealer said they would give a call back with more info, but never did. I had to call and be put on hold for 20 mins until I finally got to speak with a service advisor that didn't know what was going on with the car other than that a part had to be ordered. I finally got to talk to the manager at the dealer who told me it was some issue with an ignition part and that they had to order it. Anyone else have any issues such as this? Worst part is the dealer is booked out of loaner cars for a week or so. This is not the type or service one would expect when purchasing a brand new car, especially a Mercedes. Very unhappy with the service from MB right now.
What comes to the failed part on the car it most likely is a part that MB does not manufacture and as an electrical part can fail the next day it passes all tests. I just hope it is not a battery problem that they will realize after changing the part and finding out it was not the issue...

What comes to the no loaner car I don't think it reads in any paperwork that the dealer fixing the car MUST provide a free loaner car for the customer to drive while the car is serviced. It is totally up to the dealer to do that. It is quite common practice amongst the MB dealers to provide a ride and I must say that I select my service location based on this as I need the car for my business trips. And at the beginning my dealer actually had this setup with a car rental company on their property. They reserved the car and paid the bill.

So, why would your dealer not do that if they ran out of their own loaner fleet? They are making an easy buck fixing your car under warranty. I would take it somewhere else next time if you have options. Or is this not your own dealer?

Last edited by Arrie; 03-05-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 AM

'05 C55 AMG
The dealer is in Grand Rapids, MI. It's a smaller city so there is only one MB dealer and the next one is either in Chicago or Detroit. I am fine with the fact that there is a problem with the car as I realize that nothing can be perfect and that all cars can have problems. What I am frustrated with is how the dealer is handling the situation and their lack of customer service. This is the same dealer that I bought the car from last September. It seems that they never have any loaner cars available whether the car is in for service or warranty work.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 931 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
The dealer is in Grand Rapids, MI. It's a smaller city so there is only one MB dealer and the next one is either in Chicago or Detroit. I am fine with the fact that there is a problem with the car as I realize that nothing can be perfect and that all cars can have problems. What I am frustrated with is how the dealer is handling the situation and their lack of customer service. This is the same dealer that I bought the car from last September. It seems that they never have any loaner cars available whether the car is in for service or warranty work.
So it seems they do not do the loaners. You can test for this scheduling your service a couple of weeks ahead and requesting a loaner. If they say it is not available then it is a clear sign they do not do loaners and the reason why is they obviously don't need to.

I service my car 1 1/2 hour drive away. They always have had a loaner for me. My hometown dealer is only 20 min away but they never provided me with a loaner so I switched.

How far drive would it be for you to get to one of these big cities?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White E350 W212 with Panorama Roof
Providing customer a loaner car for a long service, I believe that is a MUST HAVE if one want to be a official MB dealer.....I believed that is required (MB required all dealer to so...I would guess). Running out of loaner car, that I do believed (happened to me one time) but the dealer ended up calling a 3rd party Rental Car service (Enterprise in my case) and rented a fully loaded Jeep SUV under the dealer's tab (however, I will have to pay for the gas), that is a standard procedure....and that is something I would expect a MB will do.....

Again...we are not buying a Toyota. It is a Mercedes....I have Infiniti and Lexus and their customer service are totally out of the league good. Even my Toyota Minivan went for a long service, I will have a free loaner for a same day serivce since I have to head back to work and will drive the car back after work and pick up my van. So far, Mercedes is kinda average to me.....but will see.

Good luck on your brand new car....that really scares me. Since I was a kid everyone saying the men's ultimate goal is to own a Mercedes one time. After I have owning my 1st Mercedes, I kinda missed my previous owned Lexus and Infiniti...........

Last edited by Optima2003; 03-05-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,529 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I must have had a rare MBZ too... low quality...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM

2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
Funny, I'd swear there was an M-B dealership in Kalamazoo.