E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 muffler delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Exhaust setup UPDATE

Update: after much thought, I decided to rethink my exhaust setup after reading everyone's post. Visited my tuner shop today and swapped some things around...
*When I walked in I simply had a "resonator delete" (aka straight dual pipes).I'VE HAD THIS SETUP FOR 8 MONTHS & WAS SICK OF THE "DEISEL SOUNDING FLUTTERING"*

The guys and I experimented with:
- replacing a Xpipe in place of the dual straight pipes. This basically took me back to a factory sound
- with the Xpipe installed we then deleted both mufflers. This made the car sound like a overwhelmingly loud racecar with droning through the wawzoo inside the car

My final decision was to keep the Xpipe and replace the stock mufflers with "performance turbo mufflers" (aka Cherry Bomb's quietest mufflers). I am overly thrilled with the external sound which is a very deep rich tone, but must admit there is a decent amount of droning inside the vehicle. The droning is tolerable but my wife has yet to ride around with me so we'll see. She will probably punch me in the throat but then again it's not her car.

I think we all fall victim to wanting a great sounding exhaust from outside the vehicle and fail to think about the potential droning inside. I truly believe this is the best sounding set up someone could get for the E for less than $250 I will try to post some sound clips soon…

Last edited by KY.Benzster; 10-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
white_w212 (02-04-2024)
Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350
Modification done. There's good news and bad news.

Good news. ......it has a very deep quality tone and does not sound too loud near the car.

Bad news. .......sounds too loud for my taste inside the car. Love the sound but the volume is still too much for my taste for this car.

In the end I'm going to have to put it back to normal because I'm not interested in continuing to modify it until I teach my perfect tone. Maybe back in the day I would have but not now. Also With 2 mufflers it's hard to make small incremental tweaks to the sound which makes it harder to reach the perfect sound. Gotta go back to silence on Saturday (Ugh!).
Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 E 350 4 Matic
Cut-outs

Last week i installed manual cut-outs and couldn't be happier. Loud when im driving on the back rounds, and back to dead silience on the highway.

My only complaint is that is seems like my car gets quieter as i pass 4k revs. When ever i down shift around 4.5-5k my car sounds stock. I was wondering if i deleted the resonator i could get louder high revs. But everyone is saying the drone is unbearable(which isn't far from what i get with it while im on the highway)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by FLMAS
Modification done. There's good news and bad news.

Good news. ......it has a very deep quality tone and does not sound too loud near the car.

Bad news. .......sounds too loud for my taste inside the car. Love the sound but the volume is still too much for my taste for this car.

In the end I'm going to have to put it back to normal because I'm not interested in continuing to modify it until I teach my perfect tone. Maybe back in the day I would have but not now. Also With 2 mufflers it's hard to make small incremental tweaks to the sound which makes it harder to reach the perfect sound. Gotta go back to silence on Saturday (Ugh!).
Damn, that's unfortunate. I was hoping you'd set "the new trend"! After posting my last update I made a 5hr drive (mostly highway), and not sure where I personally stand either. My new setup sounds IDEAL outside the vehicle but inside the car it may be a little much. I don't truly mind it (from past aftermarket exhaust experiences), but due to having to drive clients around from time to time, I'm not sure I could convince them to understand the droning...

What sucks the most is that I've had a buddy drive it around the block for me and it sounds AMAZING, but inside the vehicle it hums a bit much for a luxury ride.
**REAL TALK, I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT A TRUE CAT-BACK WOULD SOUND LIKE BECAUSE THIS $215 SETUP IS AGGRESSIVE AS HELL FOR OUTSIDE PEDESTRIANS**

Last edited by KY.Benzster; 10-02-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by Saucey_NIPS
Last week i installed manual cut-outs and couldn't be happier. Loud when im driving on the back rounds, and back to dead silience on the highway.

My only complaint is that is seems like my car gets quieter as i pass 4k revs. When ever i down shift around 4.5-5k my car sounds stock. I was wondering if i deleted the resonator i could get louder high revs. But everyone is saying the drone is unbearable(which isn't far from what i get with it while im on the highway)
what do you mean by manual cut-outs? I still see the original mufflers in the pic. What alterations did you make?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
Considering electric cutouts myself. Quiet for the family and loud for me (sometimes).

If you didn't know...cutouts divert the exhaust gas to bypass the mufflers. They can be controlled by a wired switch or wireless remote.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350
What about putting a single "performance muffler" before the 2 mufflers and also delete the 2 mufflers.

So it would be like this...
engine>cats>resonator(s)>SINGLE "performance muffler">straight pipes to exit/(2)muffler delete

It could work, providing good sound and low to no drone in the car
Old 10-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
Originally Posted by Saucey_NIPS

Any better pics of the cutouts? thanks
Old 05-14-2021, 07:38 AM

Mercedes e350
Mercedes e350 exhaust

From what I've been experimenting with, the best method to go with for relatively loud and good sound is x-pipe(replace secondary cats), keep stock resonator, then do a muffler delete. Almost no drone and sound is great at WOT.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,325 Likes on 907 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
Originally Posted by Don't Sleep
From what I've been experimenting with, the best method to go with for relatively loud and good sound is x-pipe(replace secondary cats), keep stock resonator, then do a muffler delete. Almost no drone and sound is great at WOT.

no, no. best way is to pipe the exhaust pipes directly into the drivers compartment. that way YOU can enjoy the noise, instead of your neighbors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Left Coast Geek:
Bhopkins (05-14-2021), Ph07 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
no, no. best way is to pipe the exhaust pipes directly into the drivers compartment. that way YOU can enjoy the noise, instead of your neighbors.
Then username change to Always Sleep?

I can't understand wanting the E350 to be louder. At all.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,325 Likes on 907 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I can't understand wanting the E350 to be louder. At all.
or any Mercedes, really. they went to extremes to make these cars as quiet as practical. rubber isolation of the suspension and drivetrain components from the body, heavy sound insulation on the floor, engine compartment, doors, and an excellent exhaust system, also isolated at all mounting points. you want loud and brash, drive a Mustang or something.

louder is not faster.