E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lower LED fog light issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White E350 W212 with Panorama Roof
Lower LED fog light issue

Hi all, I have a 2012 E-350 and love it...my questoon is, I have seen other E350 on the street that can have the lower LED lights on but without any head lights or parking lights on....hows that work? I have tried all the dials on my head light switch and I cannot get ONLY the lower LED lights on without turning on 1 or the other head lights/parking lights on...

Thanks in advance....
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
You have to make sure the headlamps are not set to "headlamp circuit on" or daytime running lights on in the settings menu in the speedometer.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 837 Likes on 606 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Optima2003
Hi all, I have a 2012 E-350 and love it...my questoon is, I have seen other E350 on the street that can have the lower LED lights on but without any head lights or parking lights on....hows that work? I have tried all the dials on my head light switch and I cannot get ONLY the lower LED lights on without turning on 1 or the other head lights/parking lights on...

Thanks in advance....
Are you talking about the two round lights on each side or the single hockey stick light (or is it the straight one on the 2012 model already) on each side?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
try the manual yet?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
You have to make sure the headlamps are not set to "headlamp circuit on" or daytime running lights on in the settings menu in the speedometer.
I will try it this weekend............I am kinda thinking that is part of the "Daytime Running Light" system...........this morning, I have seen 2 C300 and a E350 has the lower LED lights on without any head lights on..........made me wonder.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Are you talking about the two round lights on each side or the single hockey stick light (or is it the straight one on the 2012 model already) on each side?
Yes....those lower hockey stick LED lights, correct. BTW...mine is actually 2011, not 2012 the inline one.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
try the manual yet?
Yes, that is the first thing I tried....none of the pages said I can only turn on the fog without the head light, you have any idea...?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes....those lower hockey stick LED lights, correct. BTW...mine is actually 2011, not 2012 the inline one.
First off, the title line of this thread says fog light. If you have the hockey stick or straight light at the bottom corners you do not have fog light at the front of the car. That light is Daytime Running Light (DRL).

This light should come ON automatically if you have enabled it in the cluster menu. At daytime when head lights are off you should have these DRLs lit up only at the front end of the car.

DRLs are designed to make the car front visible at daylight conditions and there should not be anything else lit up a daylight.

Things change when it gets dark enough for the head lights come on from the photo cell. This will still keep the DRLs on but on half power.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM

First off, the title line of this thread says fog light. If you have the hockey stick or straight light at the bottom corners you do not have fog light at the front of the car. That light is Daytime Running Light (DRL).

This light should come ON automatically if you have enabled it in the cluster menu. At daytime when head lights are off you should have these DRLs lit up only at the front end of the car.

DRLs are designed to make the car front visible at daylight conditions and there should not be anything else lit up a daylight.

Things change when it gets dark enough for the head lights come on from the photo cell. This will still keep the DRLs on but on half power.
OK...that make sense, however, according from the manual, those hockey stick lights, is indeed called "FOG LIGHT". At least, the button next to the dial (lights) is indicated that is called Fog Light. The manual referring those as fog lights, on some model, they even have rear fog lights, and I think any lights that is located below the main head lights are considered fog light.

Anyway....I kinda figured out those must be DRL related because I have seen other MERC including C and E are all having the lower lights on without the head lights on day time....however, I tried this morning, my headlight are on along with the lower LED...for the whole time I drive to work. I can have both ON or OFF..but cannot get to the lower DRL on by itself without the headlights are on....weird.

Thanks for all the help....
Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK...that make sense, however, according from the manual, those hockey stick lights, is indeed called "FOG LIGHT". At least, the button next to the dial (lights) is indicated that is called Fog Light. The manual referring those as fog lights, on some model, they even have rear fog lights, and I think any lights that is located below the main head lights are considered fog light.

Anyway....I kinda figured out those must be DRL related because I have seen other MERC including C and E are all having the lower lights on without the head lights on day time....however, I tried this morning, my headlight are on along with the lower LED...for the whole time I drive to work. I can have both ON or OFF..but cannot get to the lower DRL on by itself without the headlights are on....weird.

Thanks for all the help....
The hockey stick light is NOT a fog light. It is DRL. Your car does not have fog light in the front.
You do have a fog light in the rear on driver side only. That is what the button next to the light dial is for. If you had a luxury trim car you would have four round lights in front of the car in place of the two hockey sticks. Two of those four round lights would be fog lights and the other two DRLs. In a car like this you also have two buttons around the light dial for the fog lights. One for front and one for rear.

Your hockey stick DRLs should be on alone at daylight if you have them enabled in the cluster menu and your light dial is on AUTO. If not there is a problem with the car.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:32 AM

The hockey stick light is NOT a fog light. It is DRL. Your car does not have fog light in the front.
You do have a fog light in the rear on driver side only. That is what the button next to the light dial is for. If you had a luxury trim car you would have four round lights in front of the car in place of the two hockey sticks. Two of those four round lights would be fog lights and the other two DRLs. In a car like this you also have two buttons around the light dial for the fog lights. One for front and one for rear.

Your hockey stick DRLs should be on alone at daylight if you have them enabled in the cluster menu and your light dial is on AUTO. If not there is a problem with the car.
Thank you....you are correct. To call it a fog light or not, it does not matter....it is indeed a DRL. However, like what you mentioned, my car was setted DISALBED for some reason, so I did enabled it. And the catch is...I have to turn off the automatic lights and then turn back on...then the main head lights will turn off and leave the lower hockey stick LED on on day time..

Thank you....this is resolved.