E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, BMW E70
Fog Lights

Does the 2015 E350 Luxury have fog lights? Also when the car is armed why doesn't MB have some kind of red light blinking like their competitors do? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I believe that the fog or running lights are built into the bottom of the headlights. As far as the red blinking light inside car I have no idea why there is no light. I make sure the door buttons are down then I know it is locked. Never really realized there is no blinking button.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM

2013 e350
I think the blinking light only comes on when you lock the car with the key fob.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM

E350, BMW E70
bob2chee you are correct but it has to be dark and one really has to look for it. Wish MB would adopt the clowns nose like BMW has. Thank you for your reply.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by flexstar
bob2chee you are correct but it has to be dark and one really has to look for it. Wish MB would adopt the clowns nose like BMW has. Thank you for your reply.
I also miss the chirp my BMW had. Sounding the horn sounds cheap.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by bob2chee
I think the blinking light only comes on when you lock the car with the key fob.
In my 2010 model the blinking red light appears no matter how the car was locked. It is the indicator for the theft protection to be active and it is whenever the car is locked.

I don't think MB has gone away from this as the blinking light is also an indicator for the burglars to know this car is very difficult to steal.

The O.P. might have a defective light.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Arrie
In my 2010 model the blinking red light appears no matter how the car was locked. It is the indicator for the theft protection to be active and it is whenever the car is locked.

I don't think MB has gone away from this as the blinking light is also an indicator for the burglars to know this car is very difficult to steal.

The O.P. might have a defective light.
Is there a blinking light on the 2015? Maybe I missed it.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Does the 2015 E350 Luxury have fog lights? Also when the car is armed why doesn't MB have some kind of red light blinking like their competitors do? Thanks!
Looking at a number of photos online I suggest they are tucked into the inboard side of the grill in the headlight housing much as the W211s had them between the grill and headlights except they do not show as stand alone lights as they did on the W211.
I could be wrong but it would be a first in my experience for MB not to have fog lights.
None of my 7 Benz cars have had flashing lights to tell me the alarm system is armed.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by noka
Is there a blinking light on the 2015? Maybe I missed it.
I've had a 2011 E550 for 4 years, 56,000 miles. I never noticed a blinking light when "armed" --- had no clue one was there.

So I checked it out tonight, and sure enough, when the doors are locked, there is a blinking light just under the emergency flasher button.

BUT!! It is such A SMALL AND WIMPY LIGHT that I seriously doubt a car prowler would notice before taking his crowbar to the door.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Live Oak
I've had a 2011 E550 for 4 years, 56,000 miles. I never noticed a blinking light when "armed" --- had no clue one was there.

So I checked it out tonight, and sure enough, when the doors are locked, there is a blinking light just under the emergency flasher button.

BUT!! It is such A SMALL AND WIMPY LIGHT that I seriously doubt a car prowler would notice before taking his crowbar to the door.
Those crowbar guys know where to took too... I can see my blinking light in bright sunlight. It is quite easy to see if you know where to look. If the car is locked but no blinking light in the center console the chance is the teft prevention is not working.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
There are no front fog lights on the 2013-2015 E Class. The amber front turn signals blink when locking or unlocking and the DRLs also light up.

There is one left rear foglight, activated by the switch to the right of the main lights switch. This steady bright red 'fog light' is designed to increase the car's rearward visibility during fog or heavy rainstorm conditions.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Son of a gun. I too have had my 2011 E350 4matic wagon since January 2011 and never saw any light so I too went out to my darkened garage with the doors locked and voila! A small red flasher where Live Oak said it would be. Go figure.
Then again, I don't really look. The car doors lock and I walk away. If I open a door wrong the alarm goes off.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by DerekACS
There are no front fog lights on the 2013-2015 E Class. The amber front turn signals blink when locking or unlocking and the DRLs also light up.

There is one left rear foglight, activated by the switch to the right of the main lights switch. This steady bright red 'fog light' is designed to increase the car's rearward visibility during fog or heavy rainstorm conditions.
MB has always had a rearward facing fog lamp. For years I have had friends and family tell me about a burned out light in the rear because it lights only on one side.
On my 2011, the left rear fog goes on when I push that switch but the LED strips down low in the bumper go off. When I shut the rear fog off they come back on. I can only assume MBC uses the LEDs as part of the DRLs required by Transport Canada although I do feel they give some low level light close in and use them as forward fogs knowing the rear fog is off. With the size of the lamps and LEDs in the rear of this car, the fog is really a bit of over kill.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
MB has always had a rearward facing fog lamp. For years I have had friends and family tell me about a burned out light in the rear because it lights only on one side.
On my 2011, the left rear fog goes on when I push that switch but the LED strips down low in the bumper go off. When I shut the rear fog off they come back on. I can only assume MBC uses the LEDs as part of the DRLs required by Transport Canada although I do feel they give some low level light close in and use them as forward fogs knowing the rear fog is off. With the size of the lamps and LEDs in the rear of this car, the fog is really a bit of over kill.
The led strips are DRL only. They are made to emit light in very wide angle as they are in place to make your car visible to others. In foggy conditions these lights would do harm to you as the light would reflect at you from the fog and that is why they go out when you put the fog light in the rear ON.
For the same reason in dark when he's lights come ON these DRLs go to low power so they don't blind on-coming drivers.

There are no separate fog lights in the front of your car.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Fogs

The led strips are DRL only. They are made to emit light in very wide angle as they are in place to make your car visible to others. In foggy conditions these lights would do harm to you as the light would reflect at you from the fog and that is why they go out when you put the fog light in the rear ON.
For the same reason in dark when he's lights come ON these DRLs go to low power so they don't blind on-coming drivers.

There are no separate fog lights in the front of your car.
You restated what I said. I know that. There are no fogs on the front.
These are part of the DRL which on my Canadian car includes these lights and ALL the front lights including the side markers and the taillights. The inboard high beams are on at reduced power in DRL mode.
As to harm in fog I don't see it that way and we get a lot of fog in the winter particularly.
How you feel about it is your opinion but I personally feel i get some benefit from the LEDs being on in the fog particularly low and to the side.
As you noted the LEDs emit light at wide angles.
Not saying you are wrong in theory but in practice I find it a benefit as I stated and will continue to use them that way.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You restated what I said. I know that. There are no fogs on the front.
These are part of the DRL which on my Canadian car includes these lights and ALL the front lights including the side markers and the taillights. The inboard high beams are on at reduced power in DRL mode.
As to harm in fog I don't see it that way and we get a lot of fog in the winter particularly.
How you feel about it is your opinion but I personally feel i get some benefit from the LEDs being on in the fog particularly low and to the side.
As you noted the LEDs emit light at wide angles.
Not saying you are wrong in theory but in practice I find it a benefit as I stated and will continue to use them that way.
I don't obviously understand your Canadian English but your post about the LED strips in front that I replied to strongly suggest that you think they are fog lights. I don't know how others understand your post but I got the feeling you did not know what they really are.

And you are dead wrong with your statement that in fog these lights would help you. They would definitely hurt visibility if on in fog especially at full power.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Fogs

I don't obviously understand your Canadian English but your post about the LED strips in front that I replied to strongly suggest that you think they are fog lights. I don't know how others understand your post but I got the feeling you did not know what they really are.

And you are dead wrong with your statement that in fog these lights would help you. They would definitely hurt visibility if on in fog especially at full power.
What part of English do you not understand pal? To quote what I said "I can only assume MBC uses the LEDs as part of the DRLs required by Transport Canada although I do feel they give some low level light close in and use them as forward fogs knowing the rear fog is off."
I never said they were fogs. In fact I stated they are part of the DRL system which I confirmed on a second post.
I don't really care what your opinions are on the efficacy (def: the ability to produce a desired or intended result. Source Webster's) of them in foggy situations. I find I get some light benefit at the sides of the car close in on the corners which, in an environment rife (you can look that one up and expand your vocabulary) where small black tailed deer are prolific (this one too!) and spend a lot of time in the ditches at night, you are thankful for any additional light that spills down low and does not reflect back at you.
You have your opinions. That is just fine. Just keep in mind you are not the pinnacle of all things when it comes to the experiences of others. Show some respect.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What part of English do you not understand pal? To quote what I said "I can only assume MBC uses the LEDs as part of the DRLs required by Transport Canada although I do feel they give some low level light close in and use them as forward fogs knowing the rear fog is off."
I never said they were fogs. In fact I stated they are part of the DRL system which I confirmed on a second post.
I don't really care what your opinions are on the efficacy (def: the ability to produce a desired or intended result. Source Webster's) of them in foggy situations. I find I get some light benefit at the sides of the car close in on the corners which, in an environment rife (you can look that one up and expand your vocabulary) where small black tailed deer are prolific (this one too!) and spend a lot of time in the ditches at night, you are thankful for any additional light that spills down low and does not reflect back at you.
You have your opinions. That is just fine. Just keep in mind you are not the pinnacle of all things when it comes to the experiences of others. Show some respect.
Happy Holidays!
Don't you go "pal" me. You are the one who thinks knows it all. Your original post clearly indicates you are just guessing that the LED lights are for. And you have no idea how they would hurt visibility if they were ON at full power in fog.

And, as you obviously don't know this either. Your car assuming is with the Bi-Xenon lights has fog light function built in the head lights. When you press the fog light button the DLRs go out, the head lights go to low beam if they were on high and they adjust to the shortest distance. If we were in Europe the lights would turn to right too to show the side of the road. But, you already knew this as we can read in your next post.

The secret of the real fog light is NOT the location of it at close to the road. It is one important part of it but equally important is that they are made to shine light only ahead and downward. The LED DLRs are made to shine the light in wide angle around, not just sideways like you obviously thought. That light coming from down up at full power in a fog would take your visibility away. Oh, but you already knew this as we can also read in your next post.

Respect, for someone like you, no tanks.

Last edited by Arrie; 12-24-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Happy Holidays!
To avoid arrie you need to block him on your site. I had to do this because he is an annoying whimp with nothing better to do than criticize members. When you block him you never see his annoying comments. If you really want to see what he is like go to his site and see how many times he has treated members bad. It is unbelievable.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Don't you go "pal" me. You are the one who thinks knows it all. Your original post clearly indicates you are just guessing that the LED lights are for. And you have no idea how they would hurt visibility if they were ON at full power in fog.

And, as you obviously don't know this either. Your car assuming is with the Bi-Xenon lights has fog light function built in the head lights. When you press the fog light button the DLRs go out, the head lights go to low beam if they were on high and they adjust to the shortest distance. If we were in Europe the lights would turn to right too to show the side of the road. But, you already knew this as we can read in your next post.

The secret of the real fog light is NOT the location of it at close to the road. It is one important part of it but equally important is that they are made to shine light only ahead and downward. The LED DLRs are made to shine the light in wide angle around, not just sideways like you obviously thought. That light coming from down up at full power in a fog would take your visibility away. Oh, but you already knew this as we can also read in your next post.

Respect, for someone like you, no tanks.

At no time did I mention anything about my headlights moving or any fog related function. All I said beyond what happens with my lights and my preferences - which I used again last night- was when I put the rear fog on my front LEDs go out.
Now as to your "opinions" about what happens when I put my fog on you are again dead wrong!
Whether my headlights are on in Hi beam mode, low beam mode or in auto, when I put the fog on the only thing that happens is the LEDs go out and the rear fog goes on.
The headlights do not go from Hi to Low, there is no change in output on the lows and they do not depress to a lower angle which anyone who has driven a car for any length of time knows cuts back on reflection in fog and in snow.
I am more than aware of the reflections back at you. Anyone beyond you who has put their hi beams on in snow or fog knows this and it ain't my first drive pal. 7 Benz's and counting. How many have you had?
The things you claim happen just don't happen in my car.
The lights on my car in low beam already illuminate the side of the road and they turn with steering input believe it or not. Look up code 615.
Whether it does in yours, assuming you are not a Canuck - where are you anyway? - it could be because MB does different things in different jurisdictions as you noted in reference to Europe.
You accept that things are different in Europe but a Canadian car has to be like an American car in your mind but Transport Canada has different regulations so all NA cars are not the same. The W212 wagons in Canada are different than the sedans in a number of ways.
Next you will be telling me my 1986 W124 E300 did not have two forward fog lamps with yellow bulbs.
Your arrogance has been noted by others on this site. Maybe you need to step back and reflect on your approach.
You certainly don't know it all in spite of your views that you do..
I think I will follow the advice of the last poster. I will ignore you.
I am gone. Off the thread.
I take back my wishes for a happy holiday.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Can't we all just get along? How about a Christmas ceasefire to start?
Old 12-25-2014, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by noka
Can't we all just get along? How about a Christmas ceasefire to start?
Don't worry. I stopped reading his posts. Too much misinformation.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I just took delivery of my 2015 E350 on Monday night. I have the full LED / active lighting package. When I turn on the rear fog lights, the front lights readjust to cover more of the lower area. IIRC the S-Class does the same thing as well. The DRLs on the Active LED package look purely evil...I love it.

I can't vouch for the standard partial LED setup.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
My 2013 has a rear fog light switch, when you turn it on, the LED DRL's go out.