E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Send to Car - Google Maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Sport Wagon - 4Matic
Send to Car - Google Maps

I've cancelled my MBrace subscription for now as I've only put roughly 2,700 miles in my vehicle since I purchased it last Jan. However, when I do drive it, I really miss the functionality of sending a destination to Comand via the MBrace app. I was wondering is the following functionality by Google available in our cars? If so, how do I link Google maps to my particular vehicle?

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...sendtocar&rd=2

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
It would appear that all maps to car apps are based on using MBrace
Old 01-06-2015, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Yup, you need an MBrace account.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'11 E550 , '13 GL450
Unfortunately, you will need the Car's Satellite systems to take advantage of send to car. Google Maps uses Mbrace's API to send this to the car, similarly as how other car companies does it using their Sat system.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
For some reason I hope MB should have made the basic M'brace with send to benz function standard with navigation. Those who need the Useless MB apps for Facebook, concierge, etc can pay for M'brace .
Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by pamiboy
For some reason I hope MB should have made the basic M'brace with send to benz function standard with navigation. Those who need the Useless MB apps for Facebook, concierge, etc can pay for M'brace .
Would have been nice but, no dice.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Depending on the year of your car, you can use google maps with cars equipped with internet and a browser. Both my cars are 2015 and I can send Google maps to the car or simply browse Google maps directly. My phone is the hot point.

MBrace is obsolete with the new software and MB apps.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by petee1997
Depending on the year of your car, you can use google maps with cars equipped with internet and a browser. Both my cars are 2015 and I can send Google maps to the car or simply browse Google maps directly. My phone is the hot point.

MBrace is obsolete with the new software and MB apps.
I have a 2015 in the US. In order to get MBapps ($14/mo) you also need the basic MBrace package ($280/yr). So it would cost $448 a year to be able to use Google Maps in the car to send a destination to the nav system. I find the MBapps painfully slow to connect and use. Additionally, sometimes I like to send an address to the Nav when I am not in my car (e.g. with Google Maps on my office PC or the free MBrace app for my smartphone). In all cases, you an need a subscription of some type. I can do all this now with the free trial subscription but would have to pay to keep the feature after that expires. BMW does it similarly.

Last edited by noka; 01-09-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by noka
I have a 2015 in the US. In order to get MBapps ($14/mo) you also need the basic MBrace package ($280/yr). So it would cost $448 a year to be able to use Google Maps in the car to send a destination to the nav system. I find the MBapps painfully slow to connect and use. Additionally, sometimes I like to send an address to the Nav when I am not in my car (e.g. with Google Maps on my office PC or the free MBrace app for my smartphone). In all cases, you an need a subscription of some type. I can do all this now with the free trial subscription but would have to pay to keep the feature after that expires. BMW does it similarly.
Canadian cars do not have MBrace. Secondly there is no charge for MB apps. My cel phone is the hot point. I take it that MB race in your case is the hot point. You should cancel MB race and let your cel provider provide the hot point. All you will lose is the accident call service that is useless. MY cel provider forces me to have a minimum of 1 G of data per month which was 5.00 per month more than their regular plan.
You are right with the time it takes to get on line.

One feature I like is text messaging and the ability for the car to read the
message.

Last edited by petee1997; 01-09-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by petee1997
Canadian cars do not have MBrace. Secondly there is no charge for MB apps. My cel phone is the hot point. I take it that MB race in your case is the hot point. You should cancel MB race and let your cel provider provide the hot point. All you will lose is the accident call service that is useless. MY cel provider forces me to have a minimum of 1 G of data per month which was 5.00 per month more than their regular plan.
You are right with the time it takes to get on line.

One feature I like is text messaging and the ability for the car to read the
message.
Without MBrace, I have no way to send a destination to the NAV. Also, unlike my previous BMW, which both displayed and read text messages from my RAZR Maxx HD, the MB cannot do either one with my phone.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Without MBrace, I have no way to send a destination to the NAV. Also, unlike my previous BMW, which both displayed and read text messages from my RAZR Maxx HD, the MB cannot do either one with my phone.
Having said that (above)... the Google Maps "send-to-car" feature has not worked for me for months now. Every time I try it, it indicates it was sent but nothing shows up. It has worked before but sporadically. I know the Google function works because as a test, I also sent the same destination to my Samsung tablet. I even tried pulling the car out of the garage to send it and nothing but disappointment. I might give up the MBrace subscription since that's one of my favorite features.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Having said that (above)... the Google Maps "send-to-car" feature has not worked for me for months now. Every time I try it, it indicates it was sent but nothing shows up. It has worked before but sporadically. I know the Google function works because as a test, I also sent the same destination to my Samsung tablet. I even tried pulling the car out of the garage to send it and nothing but disappointment. I might give up the MBrace subscription since that's one of my favorite features.
So you have an Mbrace subscription but cannot use "send to benz". That is strange. The car should read it within a few minutes. If the car is switched off at them time of sending map information, it would ask at the time of starting whether to use that information. I would have called M'brace immediately and ask them to fix the problem. This is the most useful function of Mbrace (worth paying for) if I recollect.
I don't think the current E class can read text messages. If anyone's car does read texts, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 S550
... the Google Maps "send-to-car" feature has not worked for me for months now.
So you have an Mbrace subscription but cannot use "send to benz". That is strange.
The Google Maps' "send to car" is different and separate from MBrace's "send to benz". I have a new 2015 E350 and I'm on my trial period with MBrace. The Google Maps app was never installed, so I inquired MBrace about that as well as the send to car feature. I was informed that both were no longer supported by MBrace.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Originally Posted by channey
The Google Maps' "send to car" is different and separate from MBrace's "send to benz". I have a new 2015 E350 and I'm on my trial period with MBrace. The Google Maps app was never installed, so I inquired MBrace about that as well as the send to car feature. I was informed that both were no longer supported by MBrace.
Thanks for the information. That clears up a lot of stuff.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Yeah, I had an app that 'sent to car' from within the Google Maps app. The developer discontinued support because Google changed the way in which the send to car feature works. Indeed, I don't know if it still works from the PC google maps browser page. But, the mbrace app functionality for sending maps still works pretty well, though it is clumsy....like all automakers' NAV and OS interfaces compares to Apple or Android implementations.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
So you have an Mbrace subscription but cannot use "send to benz". That is strange. The car should read it within a few minutes. If the car is switched off at them time of sending map information, it would ask at the time of starting whether to use that information. I would have called M'brace immediately and ask them to fix the problem. This is the most useful function of Mbrace (worth paying for) if I recollect.
I don't think the current E class can read text messages. If anyone's car does read texts, please let us know. Thanks.
The reading text functionallity only works when a windows phone with Cortana is used. When text messages are received cortana will announce that a text is received by whomever, then asks if you want it read out loud. After the text is read out loud, you have the ability to respond to the text verbally. Cortana converts the speech back to a text message and sends that out. Everything is hands free. You can also use this feature to send texts by activating Cortana and say "text bob" to initiate a text message by having cortana convert your speech to a text message. It is extremely accurate in converting your speech correctly.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:39 PM

E 250
Originally Posted by ph350
The reading text functionallity only works when a windows phone with Cortana is used. When text messages are received cortana will announce that a text is received by whomever, then asks if you want it read out loud. After the text is read out loud, you have the ability to respond to the text verbally. Cortana converts the speech back to a text message and sends that out. Everything is hands free. You can also use this feature to send texts by activating Cortana and say "text bob" to initiate a text message by having cortana convert your speech to a text message. It is extremely accurate in converting your speech correctly.
Works for me with Apple' Siri.

When a text comes in there's a beep fro the car speakers letting me know. If the phone is plugged into power, I can use "Hey Siri" to activate Siri and have it read me texts or email. All hands free.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
Originally Posted by michael61
Works for me with Apple' Siri.

When a text comes in there's a beep fro the car speakers letting me know. If the phone is plugged into power, I can use "Hey Siri" to activate Siri and have it read me texts or email. All hands free.

I had an iphone 6 when it first came out and it did not have that functionality. Can you send texts handsfree? Does the phone need to be plugged into the adapter in the armrest?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:22 AM

E 250
Look in settings. Enable: General > Siri > Allow "Hey Siri"

Now when the phone has power (plugged into some USB source) it'll listen for the words "hey Siri" and respond when it hears them. Similar modes exist for other brands of phone.

And yes, Siri lets you compose and send texts using voice.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM

2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
Originally Posted by ph350
I had an iphone 6 when it first came out and it did not have that functionality. Can you send texts handsfree? Does the phone need to be plugged into the adapter in the armrest?
I was sending and reading text messages on my iPhone 5 for the last couple years before getting my 6. Just say 'read last text message' or 'reply to text message' or 'send text message to bob'. Siri will then ask you to dictate the message then confirm you want to send. As we all know Siri doesn't always understand what you said so I keep it simple when dictating to Siri.