E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Question about Climate Control not maintaining temp correctly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 S550 4MATIC (W222), 1972 350SL (R107), 2012 GLK350 (X204)
Question about Climate Control not maintaining temp correctly

2011 e350 4matic

recently, I had the hvac head unit replaced by the dealer because the AC light was stuck on. Tech said the head unit controller had to be replaced. Other than the unit being "stuck" in AC mode, no issues regulating temperature.

Got the car back, and on a 55 degree day with the temp set to 70 in auto it just kept feeling hotter and hotter. The only way I could get cool air was to lower the system to LO or MAX COOL.

Took it back to the dealer and it was a 70 degree day, so of course the system did not duplicate the condition and ran AC, regulating temp properly. I had them check that the dampers were synced as part of installing the new head unit and they assured me they were and that it was installed per the SOP.
When I got the car back the very next day (which was cooler) it did the same thing.

If I leave the CC set to 61 or 62, it "kind of" works, regulating a temp I would say is probably more like 72 or so. It hasn't been warm enough outside to know if this will "go away" when the system clearly needs to call for AC because it is warmer outside than in but it is frustrating on those in between days. It is clearly not working the way it is supposed to.

Good news is under manual overriding I can get the use of AC or heat depending on what is needed. But it is not operating as designed and I leave my car in auto constantly - set it and forget it unless I need defrost.

I saw posts about trying a reset or using Easter egg but was hoping someone would have some insight before I try to get the dealer to attempt to fix this again. They were no help last time.

Last edited by frostsdad; 04-11-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added model and year