E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Diesel cars in USA???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Diesel are now starting to fall out of fashion, at least in England mainly due to the older cars creating a lot more pollution. The diesel price has also risen above that of petrol.

With the new small petrol engine turbo and hybrid cars coming on the market the fuel saving argument is loosing its traction also.

I think over the next 5 years the diesel % cars in Europe will actually start to fall.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Diesel are now starting to fall out of fashion, at least in England mainly due to the older cars creating a lot more pollution. The diesel price has also risen above that of petrol.

With the new small petrol engine turbo and hybrid cars coming on the market the fuel saving argument is loosing its traction also.

I think over the next 5 years the diesel % cars in Europe will actually start to fall.
I think you're right about the diesel rate dropping in Europe. Here, in NA, there's no way to go but up for diesel passenger cars. There are currently very few on the road.

While turbocharging is definitely where gasoline cars are going, they've been used in diesels forever, and you can hybridize diesel cars too.
Gasoline economy can never equal the of diesel, as diesel fuel simply has a higher energy content per litre.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E250 4Matic, GLE 300 BT
Diesel Economics

Love my E250 and ML 250!
In both cases, I had the option of gas or diesel for the same price. I believe MB is the only dealer with this pricing structure. Given that choice, I had no hesitation choosing the diesels.
Just paid $2.13/gal for diesel in NJ, and saw another station at $2.07. Seems like diesel prices are neck and neck with regular, versus a year ago when they were at or above premium. I haven't been able to determine the reason for this. I almost never fill up in my home state (PA), where new state fuel surcharges make prices non-competitive.