E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Tesla using MB parts??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
Tesla using MB parts??

Hmmmm, parts do look identical, am i'm missing something here?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:24 PM

2013 E350
Tesla top pictures, mine bottom pictures BTW ...
Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
I remember reading something about this on motor trend a while back. Glad to know that tesla knows quality when they see it!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Pop one of those parts on the Tesla and see if it is marked with the Star and MB part number. It's not uncommon for start ups to go to the parts bin. Lamborghini, Bricklin, DeLorean, etc all went to the parts bin in constructing their cars.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Yea, it's true.

I also recall that Merc had a fair stake in Tesla, but recently divested it.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Yes, Tesla uses MB parts and as the post above says MB had a stake in Tesla which actually saved them.

M
Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
When I test drove the model S, the salesman asked what I was currently driving. When he heard MB, he said that I should find it somewhat familiar. I noticed the same things. The Model S is great if you are the driver. But I think the passengers lose out on some of the comforts and conveniences that most other cars have.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Also the Steering wheel, Pano roof, and airmatic. I am sure there are much more but those are the obvious ones.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Tesla Model S also uses parts from toyota and other mfgs.

MB also uses Tesla parts. the B class electric has many Tesla parts inside it.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
It really comes down to fact that many (most?) parts in cars today are actually manufactured by independent suppliers who supply parts for many different companies. They are supposedly manufactured to the standard of the purchasing company, but who really knows.
I believe the phrase "using the parts bin" actually refers to a single company using parts from other models on each of its models. Or maybe something like GM using parts from Chevy on Buick or Cadillac, etc. Or Toyota using Toyota parts on Lexus. Classic was the Mustang used lots of parts from the Falcon when introduced.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 PM

E200 Estate
MB was a big shareholder of Tesla, not anymore. MB cashed out when the stock price was high. So did i.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
You would be surprised at how many parts and part manufacturers are shared by different automobile brands. The days of a brand making everything are long gone and for good reason. Reinventing the wheel takes money and resources and you don't always make a better wheel. I am surprised that they used the same packaging though. Not that it's a bad thing but just surprising as appearance and ergonomics usually sets brands apart.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I was aware of the Tesla-MB connection as well as parts sharing.

It's been a long time since I dug into this, but there's only 3 companies I'm aware of who actually make the interiors for these cars. Visteon, Johnson Controls, VDO. I'm assuming Merc's using VDO since VDO are German, but there's no limitation on that.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think Toyota is heavily involved with Tesla now. Interesting that Tesla in not receiving very high ratings in reliability.
Personally, I think it is a very over rated car and totally impractical for 90% of Americans.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by El Cid
.... I think it is a very over rated car and totally impractical for 90% of Americans.
Over 90% of Americans couldn't afford one. From a driving perspective it gets great reviews. Quiet, fast, handles great, stops well, smooth, roomy, gadgets galore, low maintenance (software updates and diagnostics while it sits in your garage), good styling, and never runs out of gas. Its' niche is an excellent city luxury sedan.....although I wouldn't put it in S class luxury, closer to E class. If you do a lot of commute driving combine it with PV panels and you can actually return your total initial investment in 12 years and then save you money. Take it out of its' range and it's a dead duck though. I don't see it as a one car answer to anyone. Not a car for everyone even if they could buy one.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I think Toyota is heavily involved with Tesla now. Interesting that Tesla in not receiving very high ratings in reliability.
Personally, I think it is a very over rated car and totally impractical for 90% of Americans.
I agree & disagree... Overrated? Yes. Impractical? This is where I think you're wrong. If anything, it's probably the ideal car for most Americans, at least those who have the ability to plug in overnight at home. The average American drives ~10-50 miles/day depending on whose numbers you use. Nowhere near the 280 mile range. Using a standard 110v outlet, 25-30 miles can be put back on the battery in 8 hours. No special wiring needed.

There is the issue of price...but these cars aren't aimed at being the people's car. Elon Musk knows he has an in-demand luxury product and it has been priced as such. That's capitalism.

You could easily build a lesser-performing, less luxurious car and knock the price down to something more accessible. For all practical purposes, the Tesla's the first "real" no-compromise mass-market car. As economies of scale and technological advances kick in, lower cost electric cars, possibly Teslas, will start to show up. At the same time, I see new & very-recent year Escalades & luxury cars in the 'hood, so obvious people with apparently little means can find some scratch to buy a nice car.

If I worked a normal 9-5 and wasn't a road dog, there'd probably be a Tesla in my garage.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I agree & disagree... Overrated? Yes. Impractical? This is where I think you're wrong. If anything, it's probably the ideal car for most Americans, at least those who have the ability to plug in overnight at home. The average American drives ~10-50 miles/day depending on whose numbers you use. Nowhere near the 280 mile range. Using a standard 110v outlet, 25-30 miles can be put back on the battery in 8 hours. No special wiring needed.

There is the issue of price...but these cars aren't aimed at being the people's car. Elon Musk knows he has an in-demand luxury product and it has been priced as such. That's capitalism.

You could easily build a lesser-performing, less luxurious car and knock the price down to something more accessible. For all practical purposes, the Tesla's the first "real" no-compromise mass-market car. As economies of scale and technological advances kick in, lower cost electric cars, possibly Teslas, will start to show up. At the same time, I see new & very-recent year Escalades & luxury cars in the 'hood, so obvious people with apparently little means can find some scratch to buy a nice car.

If I worked a normal 9-5 and wasn't a road dog, there'd probably be a Tesla in my garage.
I agree. It would have been a perfect car for my needs if I could afford it. Stylish, futuristic, upscale and real smooth power delivery. My daily commute is around 10 -15 miles ....lol
Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Teslas have reliability issues and you can't just take it to a dealer (there are none) or independent.
Regardless, the fact it has to be plugged in almost every day makes it impractical. Not to mention the special outlet that is required and the length of time for a normal charge (not just a quickie at a Tesla location). You go visit someone for a week-end or week and tell them you need to plug in your car? Or you have to find a place to plug it in and leave it?
Everythng I have read says it needs a special outlet, not just a standard 110 outlet.
Just imagine being in a Tesla with 50% power left and you have to evacuate an area in bumper to bumper, 10 MPH traffic for hours. Or you are on the interstate when a truck overturns and you are in 10 MPH traffic with 90 degree temps for hours.
It also precludes that spontaneous trip to the mountains or the coast for a few hundred miles without planning a route for recharging. Then waiting for a charger.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
...Teslas have reliability issues and you can't just take it to a dealer (there are none) or independent....
True, they come to you. They will also deliver a loaner if needed....fully loaded model. This is after they remotely diagnose and sometimes repair remotely with a download. They had well publicized reliability issues of a couple catching fire when the energy cell was punctured but for the most part the owners give them one of the highest reliability ratings.

.. Not to mention the special outlet that is required and the length of time for a normal charge (not just a quickie at a Tesla location). You go visit someone for a week-end or week and tell them you need to plug in your car? Or you have to find a place to plug it in and leave it? Everythng I have read says it needs a special outlet, not just a standard 110 outlet.....
You can use a standard 110 outlet but it takes longer. If all you need is a light charge or time isn't an issue the 110 works fine. The 'special' charging sockets are for the 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 amp versions that can give you a full charge in 5 (?) hours. You hit on the biggest issue though....planning. There are more fast charging stations going up but you always have to plan. Do I have enough charge left to take that side trip? Can I get there and back on one charge? Should I not drive at night or use the HVAC? It's called range anxiety. That's why I think it's a niche car for the city where range isn't an issue.

.Regardless, the fact it has to be plugged in almost every day makes it impractical. .
Slight nuisance, not impractical. The flip side is no gas station stops. Pull into your garage, charge cord is next to the port, open, plug it in and forget it. 5 seconds.

I agree it's not a car for everyone but if the conditions/environment are right it works and the driving experience is excellent. There's a couple smaller 100 mile electric cars available at 1/3 the price of the Tesla that are more practical for city commute. All that being said, I chose the E over the Tesla S because of the range and charging limitations.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
^^^ my buddy has a Tesla, and it's a blast to drive....man it's quick!!! He loves it....zero problems so far
Old 12-24-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Consumer Reports no longer recommends it due to low reliability reporting from significant number of owners. And CR was absolutely in love with the one they tested-highest score ever. Other similar websites report reliability issues and far more than just one component. Things that could not be fixed "through the air."
How does Tesla get repair technician, parts and a loaner to people? Especially in areas not near where they make the cars?
This has got to be really expensive and will get moreso as more cars are sold and more need on the spot repairs. How long can the company absorb the costs?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
If any of you live near a Tesla store go in and look at the cut up one. I believe the steering rack is also Mercedes and some of the suspension looked similar/same if i remember correctly.