E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Why The 2014 Facelift Ruined The W212 (Opinion)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 and 2007 Maxima
Originally Posted by jaworks3d
Let me start by saying that this is my OPINION, I'm not the type of person who wants to force my thoughts upon any of you.

in 2009, I was thrilled by the new looks the E class was given upon its reveal. It had sharp styling for both the Luxury line & the Sport line. Another thing that I loved about the 2010-2013 W212 was how it was different from both the C & S class, with the double headlights and taillights that extended into the trunk.

Then comes the 2014 facelift. The Sport line to me looks like its trying to be something it really isn't, and that's a sports car.

Overall, the sport's changes I can deal with, the luxury however suffered the worst in my opinion, That strange looking grill with an oversized chrome outline tells me that when this look was under development it was rushed out.

The rear of the 2014 luxury is plain and boring to me. Its biggest offense is that it has no rear exhaust tips, something the 2010 had standard here in the U.S.

Another problem is the new headlights. They look very generic without the Full LED package

Well, thats my thoughts. I wonder what other opinions people have on this.
At least they are not calling it a Sports car like Maxima is doing...4DSC, that is what is says on my Maxima... WTF it's NOT a sports car, it's nothing like a sports car..
2011 sedan a sports car?? WTH
Old 01-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C280 (W202), E63 AMG (Pre Facelift W212)
When it comes to rear styling, I love the look of two to four exhaust tips on any car. The absence of that on the 2014 facelift here in the U.S. made it look less attractive and too bland for my taste.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Count me as a big fan of the facelift. If I could buy a facelift with the OM642 diesel engine, I wouldn't be considering a BMW F10 535D when I replace my W211 Bluetec
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by Cao Black
But there is little question that the improvements that are not visible make the FL cars "better". The steering seems just a little tighter, the brakes a little more responsive, the transmission shifts more smoothly, and the stiffer frame improves the safety rating while allowing the suspension to be slightly softened (the so-called "comfort suspension" on the sports package).

Side by side, I would buy the FL version. However, if MB hadn't refreshed the W212 I would be perfectly happy with the original. Ok guys, let me have it.
Interesting points Cao Black. Since these are all highly suggestive opinions, this is not a beat on post. That being said here are some more opinions. Perhaps it is the fact that my 2010 P2 is a sprort version or that all of post FL loaners that I have had were Lux packages but I have not experienced a tighter steering or more responsive brakes in any of the new versions of this car than my 50,000 mile five year old car has. In fact, I characterize the steering as sloppy compared to my MY2010. That is the major reason I bough my S class over buying a new FL E class. I will say that my tranny can be a bit abrupt when I put my foot into it but not an overwhelming difference there either.

I am not sure I follow your point "so-called comfort suspension on the sport package"? I am thinking that the suspension on the sport package would be tighter, not softer for comfort. I have Comfort/Eco mode for the tranny but all that does is alter the shift points. It has nothing to do with the suspension or steering. Do the newer models allow you to switch from comfort to sport suspensions like the S Class does? I have that option on my S but not on the E class..
Old 01-10-2016, 09:38 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by AMGRiley
At least they are not calling it a Sports car like Maxima is doing...4DSC, that is what is says on my Maxima... WTF it's NOT a sports car, it's nothing like a sports car..
2011 sedan a sports car?? WTH
They are still calling that car a 4DSC??? They were doing that back in 1991 when I bought mine. Got to give Nissan credit for sticking with a marketing theme. Compared to a Maxima, the E class IS a sports car. In fact, compared to most sedans from Asia or the US the E class IS a sports car. Compared to a Carrera it is not.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by mnje350
Interesting points Cao Black. Since these are all highly suggestive opinions, this is not a beat on post. That being said here are some more opinions. Perhaps it is the fact that my 2010 P2 is a sprort version or that all of post FL loaners that I have had were Lux packages but I have not experienced a tighter steering or more responsive brakes in any of the new versions of this car than my 50,000 mile five year old car has. In fact, I characterize the steering as sloppy compared to my MY2010. That is the major reason I bough my S class over buying a new FL E class. I will say that my tranny can be a bit abrupt when I put my foot into it but not an overwhelming difference there either.

I am not sure I follow your point "so-called comfort suspension on the sport package"? I am thinking that the suspension on the sport package would be tighter, not softer for comfort. I have Comfort/Eco mode for the tranny but all that does is alter the shift points. It has nothing to do with the suspension or steering. Do the newer models allow you to switch from comfort to sport suspensions like the S Class does? I have that option on my S but not on the E class..
You're right, of course. Those are my opinions. But they aren't totally unfounded. Here's a good article outlining some of the changes to FL models. Note that one is a new electromechanical steering system. The article also states the transmission is "new", although I was told by the dealer that it is just reprogrammed.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013...nz-e350-sedan/

And this from another an Autotrader review...

"The steering feel and handling feedback has been improved across the board, thanks to a new electromechanical steering setup..."

I owned (until a week ago) a 2010 E350 P2 Sport so I am familiar with both. I'm not trying to start a ppppping contest, I just happen to be one who likes the FL better, and think it is technically better. I didn't dislike the 2010, but if I had to choose I would go for the 2014.

I still don't know exactly what Comfort Suspension is. The car has Package 321 - Sport Package: Lowered Sport suspension (from the actual build sheet). Listed as a component of that package is 677 - Comfort Suspension. No clue!

Finally, there is no adjustment to the suspension in my car. I know AMG has it, and maybe it was an option for E550 or E350.

Hey, they're all Mercedes. What could be bad?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Yes in the end, we are all arguing, ah I mean posing opinions that is, on a great car with subtle changes from pre to post facelift. So I am good with all of this. I have the electrical-mechanical steering in my S class and I think that the car is fine with that but that is a completely different driving experience. That said, the road in that car and all of the FL E350s feel to me sloppier, or should I say less precise, as in my 2010 E-class. I suspect that there is a lot of programming available with such steering technology so I assume that it can be tightened by MB engineering to suit the model. I wonder how the W213's will drive.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Originally Posted by Cao Black
...I still don't know exactly what Comfort Suspension is. The car has Package 321 - Sport Package: Lowered Sport suspension (from the actual build sheet). Listed as a component of that package is 677 - Comfort Suspension. No clue!
With respect to at least the '12-13 E550, it came std with a "sport pkg" and steel springs. I contend that "comfort suspension" is code for a steel spring'd sport pkg versus Airmatic. Others here disagree, but my E550 was noted in its build sheet to have the comfort suspension and our resident expert - konigstiger - confirmed that it had the std sport susp. That's why I think it's some sort of code.

To complicate the suspension story, it was allegedly possible to get a non-sports susp optioned into the E550. How those are marked on the build sheet, I have zero clue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...uspension.html

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 01-11-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C207
Totally agree.

Especially now with the newly released W213.
Looks like a bigger C class or a shrunk S class ! Oh surprise!

I don't even know when a C class or an S class is coming nowadays! And I like cars and Mercedes cars, can you imagine that? Now think of what the majority of people see? They have no freaking idea of what car is.

Now, probably the same stuff going on with this new W213.
I don't like it all. Same sausage, different length.

What I do like, and that is easy, is the new interior. Masterpiece.
Hopefully the new coupe (which is the model I have) will be a brilliant execution in design -or so I hope it is-.

At least I have my coupe tastefully modified with exterior carbon fiber pieces. Or what they are now eager to sell as Night Paket.