Infant Car Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Infant Car Seats

We are expecting our first child within the month, and I bought a Recaro Performance Sport Car seat, only to find out it didn't fit in the back of our E63 wagon.

What seats (primarily interested in infant car seats) have others used sucessfully in the back of an E? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by rediesel
We are expecting our first child within the month, and I bought a Recaro Performance Sport Car seat, only to find out it didn't fit in the back of our E63 wagon.

What seats (primarily interested in infant car seats) have others used sucessfully in the back of an E? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My youngest is almost 3 so I've used the rear facing Graco when she was younger and now she is in a High Back Eddie Bauer Graco Booster seat. It's been awhile since she's been in the newborn/standard car seat so I have to take a look in the attic when I get home to get the brand and make. I had two of course one for my car and one for my wife's car but we'd often swap and each of them fit just fine in my E. I know one of them was Graco but the model type escapes me right now. I'll report back on this thread sometime later.

Just an FYI the booster seat she uses now is actually from when my 12 year old was a toddler so they don't even make that specific model anymore.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Rear facing is tough in sedan/wagons. I recall that our Graco rear facing was even tough in our minivan but that baby bucket snap in design makes it much easier. Unfortunately, it was not a combo seat so it's only good for the first year or 20 pounds (or whatever they recommend now). Those combo seats are much bigger too especially given that rear facing angle. We used the graco until one year and then went with a Brita. That Brita was a monster when rear facing until our kid hit 20 pounds and we could turn it around to face forward. But that was a great seat.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I have used Britax chaperon infant car seat/basket in the middle seat of my wagon without issues.
I'm now using a Diono Rainer convertible seat, rear facing in the middle seat. Without the foam high adjuster the back of the Rainer will rub against the front seats. But with the Diono foam adjuster installed the car seat does not rub against the front seats anymore. (I'm 6' tall, wife is 5'7" but likes to move her seat fairly far back )

I've also had several britax frontier 85 and frontier 90 convertible seats both in the rear facing and forward facing positions. When rear facing, they only fit in the middle seat.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350

Originally Posted by rediesel

Thanks

We have a britax boulevard clicktight. It just barely fits but is rock solid. It isn't meant to be switched between cars and just stays there all the time. It is also really heavy
Old 03-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 and GLE350
We have two of the Recaro Seats both in other SUV's, one of which is the GLE but it is too big for the E400. We did just get the Chico Nextfit and have it rear facing. This does fit and is easier to install than the Recaro. No complaints with the Nextfit.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
e350 4M
we had one of the Graco Snugrides that had a base in each car and we would just move the basket around. it was great and fit in the E perfectly with decent room for the front passenger seat.

that lasted until about 13 month and now we have a rear facing convertible and if i sit in the front passenger seat (i'm 6'1) my knees are rubbish the dash, but still somewhat comfortable, done a 2 hour ride like that but wouldn't be doing this every day.

the E actually has surprisingly little room once you get a convertible seat, rear facing configuration at least. i would also suck it up and not put it in the middle seat unless you're going on a roadtrip and it's temporary, you're going to kill yourself lugging the kid/basket into middle seat 2x a day.

another thing that i find extremely annoying about the E class is that it actually doesn't have latches in the back middle position. you have to latch to the extremes of the passenger sides which conflicts with seat belts for adults sitting on each side. such a small detail that's present in all previously owned jap cars but i don't know why the germans didn't do it.

Last edited by iridium7777; 03-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:10 PM

e350
Originally Posted by iridium7777
we had one of the Graco Snugrides that had a base in each car and we would just move the basket around. it was great and fit in the E perfectly with decent room for the front passenger seat.

that lasted until about 13 month and now we have a rear facing convertible and if i sit in the front passenger seat (i'm 6'1) my knees are rubbish the dash, but still somewhat comfortable, done a 2 hour ride like that but wouldn't be doing this every day.

the E actually has surprisingly little room once you get a convertible seat, rear facing configuration at least. i would also suck it up and not put it in the middle seat unless you're going on a roadtrip and it's temporary, you're going to kill yourself lugging the kid/basket into middle seat 2x a day.

another thing that i find extremely annoying about the E class is that it actually doesn't have latches in the back middle position. you have to latch to the extremes of the passenger sides which conflicts with seat belts for adults sitting on each side. such a small detail that's present in all previously owned jap cars but i don't know why the germans didn't do it.

Ugh, tell me about what a pain it is in the middle seat. The britax has a really simple seatbelt installation procedure instead of using the old hook type latches. I threw out my back once reaching over my son to put the baby in the middle seat. Basically, now I put the baby into the seat by sitting myself down in one of the outboard seats first. Age always catches up to you.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post6095588
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 AM

e350
I'd looked at the radians before, and would get them if I absolutely needed three across. They don't recline unfortunately, and as you say, they are quite beastly too.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I bought the Recaro Coupe. I'm also expecting soon, but I test-fit it and was able to make it fit. I'll have to admit that it requires moving the passenger front seat up pretty far. Rear facing seats are pretty bulky, and hard to fit in any vehicle. I don't know how compact car people do it. Even our Nissan Murano, I had to put the seat forward a little. I also ordered the Recaro convertible seats, but have not come in yet. We want the portability of the detachable one for a while.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 PM

e350
The chicco nextfit zip does not fit in the center position and takes up more space than the Britax. I ended up with the Britax because it was sturdy, it fit in the center position, and it has a rear face tether ability. There was more legroom in rear facing position for the little one using the nextfit though.