E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help me choose a used E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
In 2014, eco mode showed up, some hate it because it shuts the engine off when you're stopped and you have to hit the button each time you start the car to disable it.
But if I turn off the Eco mode for good, this would be a moot point?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by dvdit
But if I turn off the Eco mode for good, this would be a moot point?
That's the point, you can't shut it off for good. Each time you shut it off, it resets whenever you restart the car so you have to hit the button each time you start the car.
The following users liked this post:
dvdit (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 03:52 PM

Range Rover
What??? So every time I stop at a red light I have to restart the car??
Old 06-19-2016, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What??? So every time I stop at a red light I have to restart the car??
Unless you shut off the eco mode, it automatically stops the engine, once you take your foot of the brake, it will automatically start the car. I guess some people don't like the delay. Many other car makers also have this feature.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Unless you shut off the eco mode, it automatically stops the engine, once you take your foot of the brake, it will automatically start the car. I guess some people don't like the delay. Many other car makers also have this feature.
Just making sure I get this right. If I turn off the eco mode off, I don't have to worry about the auto start/off until I shut off the engine myself. Then after restarting the engine I have to turn the auto eco mode off once again. correct?

If that is the case it is not as bad as I first thought. Still hate it but maybe not a deal breaker.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Try it

Just making sure I get this right. If I turn off the eco mode off, I don't have to worry about the auto start/off until I shut off the engine myself. Then after restarting the engine I have to turn the auto eco mode off once again. correct?

If that is the case it is not as bad as I first thought. Still hate it but maybe not a deal breaker.
Drove a C Class loaner with it. Really annoying to me. Suggest you insist on an hour or two behind the wheel test in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Range Rover
Yeah, extended test drive is a must now that I am aware of this. Thank you all. Learn something new everyday.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Start up noise

Yeah, extended test drive is a must now that I am aware of this. Thank you all. Learn something new everyday.
Forgot to mention that most annoying aspect was the noise every time it started up. Also would be concerned about how AC would function in a brutally hot summer in South, South West or West.
I still believe DAG/MB should warrant the ECO start/stop, engine, starter and all affected parts for 10 years or 100,000 miles. If not, they really don't believe it is "The Best or Nothing."
Old 06-19-2016, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, that's right. Even Range Rover has this feature, it's common in lots of hybrid cars, now it's becoming common in regular cars.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 PM

MB e350
Hello Everyone. Wanted your opinion on buying a used e350 2010 coupe with 54000 km for 79k AED vs s280 2009 97000 km driven for 70k AED.

Points to consider
into sales (work at Microsoft) so have to drive a lot.
Live in Dubai - fuel is cheap but would still want something which gives a good milage.
Maintenance cost is the major concern here - both cars out of warranty. Extended warranty available. Should I get it?

What do you all suggest?
Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
I live in VA and recently purchased CPO 14 E550 4Matic from NY area, had it shipped to my house. The reason for out of state purchase was this car had all the options I wanted (fully loaded, rear sunshade, comfortbox, split folding rear seats, rear spoiler, illuminated skid pad, air suspension, drivers assistance, parking assistance, lighting package, para roof, etc.). The negotiation/purchase went smooth with 2nd sales person I talked to at the dealership, first person I talked to seemed questionable at times. This car took near 36k depreciation in 2 years since new so my price was reasonable.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350

Ok, calm down. It's not at all bad as it is made out to be. I find it very non-intrusive and quiet compared to C class loaners and BMW 5 series. I personally love it and never switch it off. You can relax at all red lights thinking that you are not harming the environment more than you need to, the minimal improvement in fuel economy is a bonus. Now about the delay and jerky start. I don't think there is any significant delay in regular use at a red light. As soon as your foot releases the brake the engine has already started and ready to go by the time you are hitting the accelerator. It is one one of the smoothest implementation I have seen so far in a ICE only car (not comparing to the hybrid cars which run on battery for a while).

Now I do agree there is a delay and jerk in one situation, when you use the "brake hold" feature along with the "stop start". The reason is simply because your foot is off the brake pedal already while stopped and the only signal to restart the car comes when you press the accelerator.

One thing to remember is that the auto stop start does not happen at all stops. It only happens when it meets all criteria including but not limited to engine temperature, battery power, climate control, etc. For example, if the air conditioning is on full blast and outside is scorching hot, the engine may not stop at all.

I understand if some people don't like it though. But remember that the majority of people don't have a problem with it and are silent. The E class is very well insulated from the noises and vibrations. .

Last edited by pamiboy; 06-21-2016 at 10:59 AM.