TPMS active but not showing each tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Good to hear you got it fixed.
How about sharing the receiver location and any tips for future issues?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Good to hear you got it fixed.
How about sharing the receiver location and any tips for future issues?
haha yeah you right i was gonna upload pictures but forgot for whatever reason.
Its actually on the passenger rear side , because i saw a WIS picture where it showed like it on the drivers rear side.. well i found it on the passenger rear. It wasnt too complicated to undo the plastic black nuts with a 10mm ratchet/wrench .

The following 4 users liked this post by belarus27:
biker349 (06-10-2022), CaliBenzDriver (07-23-2022), kajtek1 (07-07-2020), pierrejoliat (10-11-2022)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML350 BLUETEC
Oh man. Just got 4 new tires installed 30min ago and ran into this issue. 2012 M-350 BLUETEC. And your resolution was: it just started working again after 3 months? That's not very helpful, man:-)
Weird thing: when I left the shop, I of course had TPMS up and it found values after about a minute. That was maybe a few seconds longer than under normal circumstances but it did display the individual values. However it showed higher pressure in front which is the opposite of what it should be - I blamed the tire guy of course and was going to fix pressure when I got home. But then within a couple of minutes I got the Tire System Active message... hit reset a bunch of times... no change, googled, and found this thread. Now I'm wondering if the system eventually "noticed" that it had the rims mis-allocated and so it's now trying to figure out what goes where. I'll have to drive some more.
What I'm unclear on though: should I have had them replace the sensors when I got new tires? I assume they don't do that automatically because why would they pay for Mercedes OEM parts... This was a Discount Tire shop.
But if the batteries eventually run out, is that the likely culprit here? Or do the sensors tend to break during a new install? Thanks for any more pointers.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (06-10-2022)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had similar confusion when I rotated the wheels and adjusted pressure difference between front and rear.
For some time it was showing higher pressure on front, when I knew it was in the rear. I decided to live with it, but some driving lately, I noticed the system corrected the position.
Can't tell how long exactly it took, but my logic come with explanation that when you rotate the same sensors, the module will read them right away, but on old position. Takes some driving for the module to recognize position change.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
biker349 (06-10-2022), pierrejoliat (10-11-2022)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML350 BLUETEC
Update, 2 days later, the values are back! And the high pressures are now correctly showing on the back wheels - so it seems that indeed the system recognized that there was a mismatch, so it went into calibration mode... And a day later it was done.
So unlike TheFisch I didn't end up going months or miles without values. In fact I only drove home from the tire shop, maybe 10 miles highway, and then I drove 1 single mile in the neighborhood the next day, and that's when I checked and the values were showing again.
I did talk to a senior TPMS product manager and he confirmed that the sensor batteries are typically expected to last 10 years. Since I was getting a new set of tires for an 8+ year-old car, I should have - at least for convenience if I can afford it - invested in new sensors while the tires were all off. Someone on this thread said they're like $20 bucks a piece. Now this guy also said, since I'm in Texas and rarely deal with temperatures in the lower 30s and that's the main thing that ages batteries, my sensor batteries may well last 15 or more years. So we'll see.
biker349 (06-10-2022)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:51 AM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
So I just had my tires rotated at an Indy Mercedes shop and I had the same problem that you guys had. I pulled out of the shop and switched to the tire pressure monitor screen and each PSI was showing..... for about half a mile. Then all of a sudden the PSI numbers disappeared and the message, "Tire Pressure Monitor Active" popped up.

I pulled off to a side street, turned the car off and locked it. Then I did a google search on my phone and found this thread. I thought about going back to the repair shop, but after reading the responses here I decided there probably wasn't anything they could do, so I drove home. The highway drive was over 20 miles. After about 20 minutes of driving I switched to the tire pressure monitor screen again and thankfully the PSI numbers were back for each tire.
biker349 (07-23-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 07:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2013 E350
Old thread, but same old issue as the OP and others in the thread.

I just got new tires at a tire shop, after limping in with my doughnut spare on. While the spare was on the car, the TPMS warning light was on, of course, because the spare has no sensor.

After the new tire install, the four tire pressures showed for about three minutes, but for some reason the rears were showing green and the fronts orange.

Then the pressure numbers disappeared and all I now get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active". Resetting to new baseline pressures does not make the numbers show up. Drove 44 miles and took the car back to the shop. One tech put his scanner near each rim and said he was getting signals. Then he plugged the scanner into the OBD port and said he "reset" the TPMS. But that did nothing. Still all I get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active" and no pressure numbers.

I'm going to let the car sit overnight and cool down, then reset the tire pressures myself to what I want, and see what happens with TPMS. I'm leaving for a two week vacation in two days, with probably 3,500 miles of driving, so I'm hopeful the "active" TPMS will at least warn me if pressures drop too low.

Just in case it's a worn battery issue, does anyone know the part numbers for new TPMS sensors for a 2013 E350 Sport?
biker349 (07-23-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Kilt

I just got new tires at a tire shop, after limping in with my doughnut spare on. While the spare was on the car, the TPMS warning light was on, of course, because the spare has no sensor.

After the new tire install, the four tire pressures showed for about three minutes, but for some reason the rears were showing green and the fronts orange.

Then the pressure numbers disappeared and all I now get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active". Resetting to new baseline pressures does not make the numbers show up. Drove 44 miles and took the car back to the shop. One tech put his scanner near each rim and said he was getting signals. Then he plugged the scanner into the OBD port and said he "reset" the TPMS. But that did nothing. Still all I get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active" and no pressure numbers.

I'm going to let the car sit overnight and cool down, then reset the tire pressures myself to what I want, and see what happens with TPMS. I'm leaving for a two week vacation in two days, with probably 3,500 miles of driving, so I'm hopeful the "active" TPMS will at least warn me if pressures drop too low.

Just in case it's a worn battery issue, does anyone know the part numbers for new TPMS sensors for a 2013 E350 Sport?
This happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. Had new tires put on the original set of 18” rims with only about 3 years old sensors. Have been running on 17” with their own sensors.

After new tires were put on the 18” rims I took the car and the sensor teaching was not done as I informed them the car is supposed to learn the sensors. I drove the car for about 15 min and the tire pressures popped up in the display as the car learned the different set of sensors.

But, the next day I did not get the pressure readings. All I got was the “Tire Pressure Monitor Active” but no pressure display and I drove for an hour+ but nothing helped.

Finally went back to the tire shop and asked them to do the re-learning for each tire and this fixed the problem.

Go back to the shop and ask them to do the sensor re-learn procedure. It is not just to look at each sensor sending a signal. They need to connect to the car and start the procedure going thru to each tire and tell the car which one each is.

Before I went back to the shop I looked at it with my iCarsoft MB II scanner and it told me the system reads signals but does not know which signal is which tire. I think the system would have alarmed if pressure in any tire went too low but as it did not know which pressure is which tire it did not show the pressure readings as they are specific for each tire.

You can do a quick test with this. Let air down in one tire and see if the system alarms you for low pressure. I think it will but does not tell you which tire it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arrie:
biker349 (06-10-2022), CaliBenzDriver (07-23-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:59 PM

2013 E350

Well, six weeks and 3,000 vacation miles later the tire pressure numbers still haven't returned and all I still get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active". I'll be taking the car back to the tire store next week to see if they know anything about a sensor relearning procedure.

Last edited by Kilt; 07-22-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,297 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
OUCH TPMS...

I am going to have to agree with this thread: I am unable to provide an ounce of solution

TPMS fair hardware

The TPMS Module located on the rear passenger side axle is one UNSTABLE PIECE OF... HARDWARE.
The module examplified in this thread is untested bottom of the barrel...

If the stakeholders were serious, they would scrap that ridiculous software stack and deliver something that provides usefulness instead of spinning service calls about wonky tire pressure.

NO ONE PAYS PREMIUM TO DEAL WITH THIS TYPE OF UNTESTED CHAOS !
Hopefully MB will release a solid stack worked on by professionals.

Software developers can confirm it's hard to escape bad designs because of assumptions and dependencies. ​​​​​​

++++
Actually there may be a common explanation "NOT everyone is affected" but with 30,000 views this problem is well developed.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-23-2022 at 04:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
BenzV12 (10-09-2022), biker349 (07-23-2022), pierrejoliat (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, six weeks and 3,000 vacation miles later the tire pressure numbers still haven't returned and all I still get is "Tire Pressure Monitor Active". I'll be taking the car back to the tire store next week to see if they know anything about a sensor relearning procedure.
There is no learning on MB sensors.
But some new sensors require activation. I bought new sensor from reputable ebay seller ($15) and it work straight from the box just fine.
pierrejoliat (10-11-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 11:23 PM

2013 E350
My individual tire pressure displays are back, but I don't really know why. Here's what happened.

After 3,700 miles in 3+ months of driving, my individual tire pressure displays still hadn't returned, but the TPMS was active because it notified me of low pressure somewhere by means of the dashboard idiot light. I had a leak in one wheel, which was fixed. I asked the tire shop to rotate the tires front to back. After this was done, my individual tire pressure displays came back within 24 hours.

The only thing I can think of is that when the new tires were put on, the rims were put in different places than beforehand and the TPMS computer for some reason couldn't figure out which wheel each sensor was in. Maybe rotating the wheels put them back in the same position they were in before the new tires were put on. There are holes in this theory—such as why this problem never happened with tire rotations previously—but neither I nor the tire shop have a better explanation.

Last edited by Kilt; 10-08-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
I remember my W212 also acted same way as yours , tpms was active but not showing each tire at all . after replacing tires
Old 10-10-2022, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My individual tire pressure displays are back, but I don't really know why. Here's what happened.

After 3,700 miles in 3+ months of driving, my individual tire pressure displays still hadn't returned, but the TPMS was active because it notified me of low pressure somewhere by means of the dashboard idiot light. I had a leak in one wheel, which was fixed. I asked the tire shop to rotate the tires front to back. After this was done, my individual tire pressure displays came back within 24 hours.

The only thing I can think of is that when the new tires were put on, the rims were put in different places than beforehand and the TPMS computer for some reason couldn't figure out which wheel each sensor was in. Maybe rotating the wheels put them back in the same position they were in before the new tires were put on. There are holes in this theory—such as why this problem never happened with tire rotations previously—but neither I nor the tire shop have a better explanation.
Did you have it scanned for signals?
Those cars have 2 directional antennas to read the pressure without any hassle of training, or programming. I noticed that when I rotated the wheels, the sensors would show the pressure after a mile of driving, but at old position, what I could figure out thanks to different front/rear pressure.
It took close to 30 miles before computer detected new positions and correct it on display.
In your case I have a feeling that 1 of your antennas could fail and your computer read 1 axle only.
pierrejoliat (10-11-2022)