E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Airmatic issue.....

Old 07-20-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 Subaru WRX, 2011 E550
Airmatic issue.....

Hi there Everyone,

2011 E550 4matic with 70,000 miles with ELW coverage. I have been experiencing a clunking noise from the back for a few weeks. Just at low speeds over speed bumps. Not every bump or every slow speed situation. No error codes or warnings. Took it it the dealer and short ride with the service manager confirmed the noise. They just called and said a bad rear shock. Having to be replaced in pairs brought the repair bill to $1,700. The shocks and struts are listed in the few exceptions for the ELW. I do have a very good local indy that I discussed the job with. He has replaced rear shocks in a 211 but, not a 212. Which leads to my question....Has anyone replaced the rear shocks on their 212 w/ airmatic? From looking around the internet the job seems very straight forward on a 211, something well within my skill set. But I can't seem to find anything for the 212 model. Any tips tricks or advise is welcomed.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Brad
Old 07-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check your email.
The following users liked this post:
75gasgas (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I've seen tutorials of how to do the whole set on Youtube I believe. @Konig probably already gave you the relevant info. If my memory serves me correct there are instructions of how to do it around here somewhere also.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
OP, which ELW are you dealing with? Is it a Mercedes ELW or a third party one?

Are you seeing the rear end drop on the car when it sits overnight? That is usually the telltale sign that the system is going. I ask because I had an issue with a clunking sound from speed bumps at low speeds. However, the remedy was to update the SDS system setting for airmatic. There is a service bulletin about that (but you may have gotten that from konigstiger already).

Here is a thread on DIY airmatic rear springs. There are more out there.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-springs.html
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Is there not shocks in the rear in addition to the air spring, Fisch? My W211 Airmatic was Set up that way. I thought the W212 was also.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
My bad - I was thinking air spring and not shock absorber. No I haven't seen a DIY on that yet.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I replaced both of those rear shocks on my E500 due to failure and rattling noise. Never replaced an rear air spring or front spring/strut.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by thefisch
OP, which ELW are you dealing with? Is it a Mercedes ELW or a third party one?

Are you seeing the rear end drop on the car when it sits overnight? That is usually the telltale sign that the system is going. I ask because I had an issue with a clunking sound from speed bumps at low speeds. However, the remedy was to update the SDS system setting for airmatic. There is a service bulletin about that (but you may have gotten that from konigstiger already).

Here is a thread on DIY airmatic rear springs. There are more out there.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-springs.html
Sorry. I should have been more clear. I have the Mercedes ELW. Another thing I learned is that if it is NOT a warranty issue the dealer charges for the diagnosis.

I do not see the rear drop overnight. Just the clunking.

I'll have to investigate the SDS system update but, the dealer said nothing about it.

The recent DIY airspring write up is exceptional. However my issue is the shocks.

Thanks,

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 AM

Airmatic

Received the instructions for replacing the shocks(THANKS Konig!!). Seems very straight forward. (fingers crossed so not to jinx myself) Looks like I'm going to order some parts and give it a go.

Stay tuned....
Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by 75gasgas
Sorry. I should have been more clear. I have the Mercedes ELW. Another thing I learned is that if it is NOT a warranty issue the dealer charges for the diagnosis.
They must have changed the terms when I looked into it a few years ago. Below is a copy of what I got back in 2014 when I was looking into the MB ELW. It didn't use to exclude shocks and struts. I am sure you verified the fine print on that though.

Exclusions:

DAMAGE DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE: Lack of proper maintenance as described in the Maintenance Booklet. Use of service parts or fluids, such as paper oil filters or improper engine oil, which are non-approved by MBUSA, can cause engine damage and is not covered by this Agreement.
NORMAL MAINTENANCE IS OWNER’S RESPONSIBILITY: Cleaning and polishing, lubrication, filters, engine tune-up, replacing wiper blades or wiper rubber inserts, brake pads, sensor and rotors/discs, and clutch discs and pressure plates are some of the normal maintenance services vehicles require and are not covered by this Agreement. Tire rotations, if applicable to your vehicle’s tire configuration, are a required maintenance service, also not covered. See Maintenance Booklet for details. Damage caused by the use of improper filters (including oil filters), engine oils, fluids, cleaners, polishes or waxes is not covered.
Keep all records of maintenance for your vehicle with your Extended Limited Warranty Agreement or your “Service” booklet for the vehicle. The Extended Limited Warranty Agreement booklet and/or the “Service” booklet must be available for review by the repair facility. If you perform your own maintenance, your records must indicate work performed, date, parts replaced and odometer reading at the time of service. Receipts for purchases of parts and fluids or service and maintenance must be retained with this Agreement for the entire period of this Agreement. Failure to provide maintenance logs may result in the denial of claims. The administrator’s retention of broken parts, for inspection or use, may be required for any repair work.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY NON-APPROVED PARTS OR FLUIDS: Any malfunctions caused by the use of other than Mercedes-Benz original equipment of MBUSA-approved spare parts or accessories are not covered by this Agreement. Damages or malfunctions resulting from poor fuel quality or from blending additional fuel additive, other than those expressly approved for use in exceptional circumstances (see vehicle Operator’s Manual) by MBUSA are not covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO ACCIDENTS, MISUSE, NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD, IMPROPER ADJUSTMENTS, DISCONNECTION OR TAMPERING: Damage from object striking the vehicle. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, improper operation, and storage or transport (Proper use is described in the Operator’s Manual). Damage attributable to any of the aforementioned is not covered.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY OUTSIDE INFLUENCES AND THE ENVIRONMENT: Accidents or acts of nature or other events beyond the control of Mercedes-Benz (e.g., fire, flood, earthquake). Resultant damage from factors such as, but not limited to, fuel or fluid contamination, corrosion, mold and algae. parts made from cloth or leather (e.g. upholstery, convertible tops, trim items), wood, sheet metal / body panels, paint or chrome which have been affected by airborne fallout, such as chemical and tree sap, or by road salt, hail, windstorm or other environmental factors, are not covered by this Agreement.
DAMAGE DUE TO MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS: Alterations by changing or adding to the vehicle can adversely affect its performance, reliability and longevity, and are not covered by this agreement.
ALTERED ODOMETER: No Agreement covered shall apply to any vehicle on which the odometer has been altered or the actual mileage cannot be determined.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY IMPROPER BODY REPAIRS: Damage or malfunctions caused by body repairs no performed in accordance with Mercedes-Benz-specified repair procedures or otherwise improperly performed, are not covered by this Agreement.
BATTERIES: Batteries are not covered by this Agreement.
TIRES: Tires are not covered by this Agreement.
GLASS: Glass is not covered by this Agreement.
PAINT AND OTHER APPEARANCE ITEMS: Paint and other appearance items are not covered by this Agreement.
CHANGES IN DESIGN: The manufacturer has reserved the right to make any changes in design or to make additions to, or upon its products without incurring any obligations to install the same equipment on motor vehicles previously built.
OTHER:The soft top which includes fabric tip, headliner, glass/plastic window; cellular telephones; Bluetooth dongles; communications service infrastructure such as, but not limited to, cellular telephone networks, GPS satellites availability, Internet and map data content.
EXTRA EXPENSES: This Agreement does not cover payment for loss of use of the vehicle during Agreement repairs nor lodging bills, substitute transportation rentals, or other travel costs, telephone calls, loss of pay, or other economic loss or consequential damages.
REPAIRS AT NON-AUTHORIZED DEALERS: Otherwise covered repairs when the prescribed repair is not performed by an authorized Dealer.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I'll have to investigate the SDS system update but, the dealer said nothing about it.
Well, I found the bulletin I was recalling but it for the front end not the rear.
Originally Posted by konigstiger
LI32.22-P-052062 – 212 thumping from area of the front axle when driving over speed humps when the suspension strut rebounds, the rebound buffer spring causes a metallic knocking noise. Dealer should flash Airmatic control unit.
How did they identify the rear shocks were bad? Did they find fluid leaking from them?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
airsprings are not too difficult to replace , atleast front ones are not too bad , dont even take too much time if you got the right tools , i wouldnt think that the rear ones will be any harder to replace. adn they are like 250-300 new which is also cheaper then fronts.
wish u luck , just make sure you got the tools and youll be good if you have a common sense.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Arimatic...

Yes, the dealer wrote that the shocks were found to be "leaking"

In my Mercedes ELW fine print shocks and struts are named in the "other" category.

The best online price I found was $445.00 with over $100 in shipping?!?!?

If anyone knows a alternative in the $250-$300 range I'm all ears.

Dealer is at $540.00 Per side.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying to shocks at the dealer, not the cheapest but, parts are guaranteed and if I run into an issue I have someone local to help.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Yeah, looks like $445 is about it for a good price.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Yes, the dealer wrote that the shocks were found to be "leaking"

In my Mercedes ELW fine print shocks and struts are named in the "other" category.

The best online price I found was $445.00 with over $100 in shipping?!?!?

If anyone knows a alternative in the $250-$300 range I'm all ears.

Dealer is at $540.00 Per side.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying to shocks at the dealer, not the cheapest but, parts are guaranteed and if I run into an issue I have someone local to help.

http://r.ebay.com/jlNtMa

ebay is the place , i bought a used one for 200 half a year ago , but it was a wrong one.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
^ Yo, this conversation is about shocks, not air springs. He needs rear shocks.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by KEY08
^ Yo, this conversation is about shocks, not air springs. He needs rear shocks.
Olay yo yo yo , sorry
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
where did you get them for $440?
I found a place for 480 each - free shipping...
Maybe I can get them to match and get free shipping?
I might need one too...(but will prob just do both because...)

Note the 4matic uses a different shock than the RWD...(my car is only RWD)...
So guess that wont help too much?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quattrodude
where did you get them for $440?
I found a place for 480 each - free shipping...
Maybe I can get them to match and get free shipping?
I might need one too...(but will prob just do both because...)

Note the 4matic uses a different shock than the RWD...(my car is only RWD)...
So guess that wont help too much?

Parts.com has them for $445 but, that is for the 4matic. I sent Parts.com an email and inquired about their shipping cost and never heard back. Needless to say I did not place the order.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 AM

Airmatic

Good morning everyone,

Update:

The job is done. Replaced the shocks yesterday in my driveway with no issues at all. I purchased the shocks from my local dealer. Their price was $60 more per shock than the online price however, I knew that if I ran into an issue I would not hesitate to ask them for help. As it turned out the job was very easy and straight forward so, 20/20 hind sight if I had quick and clear communication with an online parts store I would just order them online.

The job was easier than a brake job. The only struggle was wrestling with a couple of those plastic grommets and the dust that fell in my face from the fender liner. Maybe that is why there is no how to videos online. It was really that simple.

When I removed the old shocks I tried to diagnose what was making the noise. When I compressed the shock all the way the dust boot would squeak and sound just like the noise I was hearing. Comparing it to the new shock the old was easier to compress and slower to rebound, clearly toast. One side was worse than the other however, not by much.

After a few errands and a good test drive, there is a significant ride improvement. The clunking noise is gone.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E550
Thank for the update, gives me confident knowing it isn't that hard.
75gasgas (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
WTG!!!
75gasgas (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
Awesome I might be doing this shortly too...if you have any other tips other than watch for falling dirt lol...(I have 145K on my car - doubt I'll know if they have been replaced before.
I'm trying to decide - do I just pop the extra $400 and do the airbags at the same time?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by Quattrodude
Awesome I might be doing this shortly too...if you have any other tips other than watch for falling dirt lol...(I have 145K on my car - doubt I'll know if they have been replaced before.
I'm trying to decide - do I just pop the extra $400 and do the airbags at the same time?
hows the car with 145k miles running? major issues? please share
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Maybe that is why there is no how to videos online. It was really that simple.
Wait, you didn't make a video! The cycle continues...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic issue.....