E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Speakers Melting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 mercedes-Benz 2014
Yes , Same dealer , they declined they had fixed same issue before and they will need MB USA approval to fix the issue with no cost to me , ( I paid ($170) for diagnostics and they didn't even open the panels and virtually checked the speaker).... I contacted MB-USA 3 times and they only offering 10% as my car out of warranty.. so sad.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by moho
Yes , Same dealer , they declined they had fixed same issue before and they will need MB USA approval to fix the issue with no cost to me , ( I paid ($170) for diagnostics and they didn't even open the panels and virtually checked the speaker).... I contacted MB-USA 3 times and they only offering 10% as my car out of warranty.. so sad.
If it is just the speaker why don’t you fix it yourself? That rear window shelf comes out quite easily. Can’t imagine a good speaker would cost more than a $150 or so.

MB charges a lot because the work of doing the job. It takes some time to remove the shelf but as I have done it 3 times on my car it really is not that difficult.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Arrie

If it is just the speaker why don’t you fix it yourself? That rear window shelf comes out quite easily. Can’t imagine a good speaker would cost more than a $150 or so.

MB charges a lot because the work of doing the job. It takes some time to remove the shelf but as I have done it 3 times on my car it really is not that difficult.
Unfortunately, the speakers used are not standard sizes or shapes. There is no listed "drop-in" replacement for those used in this car. To replace them with aftermarket speakers, especially the ones in the rear deck will require some sheet metal cutting and other custom brackets. Also, I am not sure if the impedance of these speakers is a standard value or not. Lexus, for one, does not use standard impedance speakers, so one must do some custom impedance-matching to swap the speakers out without risking overheating the amps.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SteveE400
Unfortunately, the speakers used are not standard sizes or shapes. There is no listed "drop-in" replacement for those used in this car. To replace them with aftermarket speakers, especially the ones in the rear deck will require some sheet metal cutting and other custom brackets. Also, I am not sure if the impedance of these speakers is a standard value or not. Lexus, for one, does not use standard impedance speakers, so one must do some custom impedance-matching to swap the speakers out without risking overheating the amps.
Well, I highly doubt tha Mercedes makes their own special size and shape speakers for their cas. They use speakers from sound system makers who ever they use and for that use the dimensions the audio system maker has.

What vomes to imbedance of the speaker you have some tolerance with it and if the speaker comes with too low impedance it can be raised up easily with a simple resistor.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Arrie - Not to start a flame war, but I beg to differ on all points. First, although Mercedes does not make their own speakers, they do have their speakers made to MB's specifications - size, impedance, power handling capabilities, frequency response, etc. The speakers are made by some company, but the rear deck speakers in a W212 sedan are definitely NOT a standard size. If they were, all the component suppliers would list replacements for them. Even Crutchfield, arguably one of the best-informed and most capable suppliers has no replacement listed. If you look at the online sale ads for used speakers, the picture shows a rectangular speaker assembly holding a separate woofer and tweeter/mid-range. There are virtually NO replacement speakers in this shape and configuration.

As for impedance, I think you may have missed a lesson or two in basic electronics. Impedance is an AC function, not to be confused with resistance, which is a DC function. Audio signals are a form of AC, not DC, so the insertion of a series or parallel resistance will only alter the DC state of the circuit, not the AC state, which is impedance. Most often impedance matching is accomplished via the use of one form of transformer or another, but in applications such as speaker matching, there are few, if any, suitable transformers available. One would have to find a transformer with the appropriate turns ratio and power handling capabilities in order to match a speaker of one impedance to an amp of another. If you take a resistance reading across the terminals of a 4-ohm speaker, you most certainly will NOT read 4 ohms. It will read much lower resistance, even close to a dead short circuit.

The way I managed to match a replacement sub to a Mark Levinson audio system in a Lexus was to run the speaker-level signal into a line-level converter, which converts the (in Lexus' system) 2-ohm impedance to a high-impedance signal (think RCA phono jacks), which I then fed into a separate amplifier to power the speakers. Many have done this with the MB/HK systems, so the electronics is fairly straightforward. The larger issue is fitting a suitable speaker into the car. These cars are simply not designed to allow easy speaker swaps or additions. I've done some on my old W201, with only mediocre results. I haven't yet tried on the W212, but sooner or later I'll go nuts with the stock system and get to the drawing board.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-25-2021)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 AM

2014 E350
Speakers Melting

Originally Posted by fosterelli
Update. Mercedes replaced my melted speakers, and at least one that wasn't melting (left rear door). Since I have 70K miles and no warranty, they did it as "goodwill" but I'm assuming they know there is a problem on some of these.

Car was in the shop for exactly one week, and they gave me a brand new C300 to drive. I gotta say, I'd take my 70K mile almost 3 year old E350 over a new C300 any day of the week. I couldn't wait to get out of that C class. But at least it had the AMG styling package so it looked decent on the exterior. Can't say much for the rest of the car though.

I assume I won't have any more melting speakers until next summer, that'll be the test. Because all of my speakers melted on over 90 degree days, after car was sitting in the sun for a while (guessing it was 100-120F inside the car when I got in). But hopefully my issues are gone forever...it'll be my daughter's car in no time at all, so fingers crossed!
Thanks for all the postings.

I have owned my car for 4 years and nothing remotely has happened like this...was heading out for the night and all of a sudden the popping noise from front center third speaker and awful burning smell...thanks for the video with sound. Taking the car in to the local MB dealer and demanding theu replce with no cost to me. I have 67000...certified used car purchase.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
06 E350
Originally Posted by SteveE400
You are wrong, the rear speakers are mounted into a one piece PLASTIC unit, the tweeters are an easy replacement but the woofer is pretty unique. Yes I have taken the whole mounting unit out! I know what Im taking about. The door speakers are standard 6.5s but are soldering into special tabs for the wiring, I add JBL 3ohm tweeters on top of the front door speakers with plumbers tap painted black and it transformed the whole system, now I cant turn the treble all the way without piercing my eardrums.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Shack, I am well aware that the rear deck speakers are mounted in a plastic housing. What I meant was that if you choose to do without that plastic insert, there is no standard speaker size that fits into the resulting opening. You would have to fabricate a new mounting board. And, if you intended to install a larger speaker, say an 8-inch woofer, you would have to do more fabrication and possibly cut the hole in the package shelf larger. The shelf just is not that deep front to back, especially if you have the power-operated rear sun shade.

This is different than my old 2001 Lexus LS430, which had a standard-sized round 8-inch woofer in the package shelf. That one was easy to swap out without any fabrication, and looked totally stock. In my old W201 MB (190E-2.3) I had to mount plate-mount 2-way speakers in the package shelf and then remove the first aid kit which was mounted in the rear parcel shelf to have space to mount a couple of small woofers.

I don't think I have the skills to alter the W212, and with the growing complexity of the sound systems and data bus, I wouldn't even try it.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 PM

2014 E350 4matic Sedan
Melting Speakers 2014 E350

Hey,
I just experienced the same issue with the melting rear passenger and front driver side speakers (crackling, burning, smoke filled vehicle while driving with no audio) only it was only 40 degrees out. Of course it's not a "know issue" and there are no recalls so I have to pay for replacements. I just filed a complaint (https://www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/,
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11156393) with NHTSA @ www.safercar.gov and suggest that everyone do the same.

Last edited by Shante B; 12-05-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 111 Posts
2015 ML400 4MATIC, 2014 E350 4MATIC, 2006 E350
Add me to the list have a 2014 E350 with 112,000KM. Subwoofer is going off constantly. and there’s this burning smell in the trunk.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Someone please help. I don't know what to do. Just bought my vehicle recently and it started having this issue. I believe it's the rear subwoofer on mine. I smell a really strong burning smell in the car. Can anyone help? Is this something that would be covered by good will? I'm in Canada
Old 07-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ml3504matic____
Is this something that would be covered by good will? I'm in Canada
Only one way to find out:

Blair Creed, VP Customer Services
Mercedes-Benz Canada
Blair.creed@mercedes-benz.ca

If email is bounced: https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/contact-us/overview
Old 07-29-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Only one way to find out:

Blair Creed, VP Customer Services
Mercedes-Benz Canada
Blair.creed@mercedes-benz.ca

If email is bounced: https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/contact-us/overview

Thanks! Just emailed him. Hope to hear him respond soon

Last edited by ml3504matic____; 07-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:49 PM

Anyway to disconnect the subwoofer in the meantime?
Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Burning smell and smoke in car and no re-call??!!??

Hope you guys don’t park your cars in garages or too close to your homes or other cars.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:14 PM

Just got my quote in from my Mercedes Dealer after spending almost $200 in diagnostic fees to find out a subwoofer is the cause for all of this. The technician said it was due to a wire not being grounded that caused all of this. Total damage is $1500 CAD. The service advisor told me that they’re applying for goodwill coverage, but they’re saying it’s a slim chance of it getting covered. sigh
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got my quote in from my Mercedes Dealer after spending almost $200 in diagnostic fees to find out a subwoofer is the cause for all of this. The technician said it was due to a wire not being grounded that caused all of this. Total damage is $1500 CAD. The service advisor told me that they’re applying for goodwill coverage, but they’re saying it’s a slim chance of it getting covered. sigh
"Wire not being grounded " being a problem does not sound right to me. Usually if you loose ground you lose power and certainly do not burn anything to make smell or smoke. Sounds to me they have diagnosed a bad speaker that was put in the car by MB and they ask you to pay for their mistake.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arrie:
CaliBenzDriver (03-25-2021), vanwiek (12-19-2023)
Old 10-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E40p
My 2014 e400 having the same issue, burning smell and crackling sound above dashboard

So my saga continues. First, the rear passenger door speaker (the larger midrange one) started making popping, crackling, strange sounds. It then started burning (strong smell)...so I removed the door panel and discovered the center of the speaker cone was melting. I disconnected it.

Now the rear factory sub is making the same sounds.

It's been pretty hot here (100+F), and my car sits all day in the sun sometimes.

The radio was not in use during the noises/melting. It was on, but volume was at zero. I turned the unit off at the first sign of problems, but apparently the head unit doesn't need to be on, because the sounds and melting continued.

Another note, if I walk out to my locked car and press unlock on the key fob, the sounds and melting start before I even put the key into the ignition.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice? I currently have both speakers disconnected so I don't have to hear all of the crazy noise and smell the roasting plastic & rubber. Now I'm worried I'll slowly be melting them all because of defective materials.

I'm curious if MB will help me with this (2014 but out of warranty, 65K miles), since it is not a user issue and should not be happening to such a new car (and I almost always don't listen to anything, but if I am listening to something it's primarily talk radio). These speakers are expensive and I don't want to throw a bunch of money into replacing them, just to have it happen again.

My gut tells me this only happens on 100+F days and the car sitting in the sun for hours before I drive...so the speakers have inferior glues/adhesives and start melting, causing the speaker to short out (which is making all of the sounds).??
Can u please tell me the person in MB usa u reached out to.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rakhchaw
Can u please tell me the person in MB usa u reached out to.
I reached out as well to Mb Canada. Nothing really they do. They offered 25% for the part. + labour. Sigh
Old 10-01-2019, 03:00 PM

E40p
I reached out as well to Mb Canada. Nothing really they do. They offered 25% for the part. + labour. Sigh
Still the cost is like 3k to replace amplifier...so people should keep worrying about burning amplifiers after buying a 60-70k car in Texas...cos its hot.
Do did u try reaching out yo BBB or NSAa as mentioned by someone in the forums.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-25-2021)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:31 PM

My subwoofer and right rear speaker are blown. And I’m in Toronto. But the car always drove down to Florida all the time.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:21 PM

2015 E350 4matic
So my saga continues. First, the rear passenger door speaker (the larger midrange one) started making popping, crackling, strange sounds. It then started burning (strong smell)...so I removed the door panel and discovered the center of the speaker cone was melting. I disconnected it.

Now the rear factory sub is making the same sounds.

It's been pretty hot here (100+F), and my car sits all day in the sun sometimes.

The radio was not in use during the noises/melting. It was on, but volume was at zero. I turned the unit off at the first sign of problems, but apparently the head unit doesn't need to be on, because the sounds and melting continued.

Another note, if I walk out to my locked car and press unlock on the key fob, the sounds and melting start before I even put the key into the ignition.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice? I currently have both speakers disconnected so I don't have to hear all of the crazy noise and smell the roasting plastic & rubber. Now I'm worried I'll slowly be melting them all because of defective materials.

I'm curious if MB will help me with this (2014 but out of warranty, 65K miles), since it is not a user issue and should not be happening to such a new car (and I almost always don't listen to anything, but if I am listening to something it's primarily talk radio). These speakers are expensive and I don't want to throw a bunch of money into replacing them, just to have it happen again.

My gut tells me this only happens on 100+F days and the car sitting in the sun for hours before I drive...so the speakers have inferior glues/adhesives and start melting, causing the speaker to short out (which is making all of the sounds).??
This is happening to me speaker crackling, burnt smell, dealer has had my car for a week, no response, I've been calling every day, they seem to be ducking me!
Shame on them!
Old 10-18-2019, 02:27 PM

2015 E350 4matic
Rear speakers on a E350 2015 also a burnt smell

I took the car to a Mercedes-Benz dealership they have had the car for over a week I'm trying to call them everyday they keep giving me different excuses saying that waiting for Mercedes to check the vehicle out it's the speaker I smelled it my son got sick from the smell is anyone else having the same issue Mercedes-Benz needs to rectify this problem, speaker even crackles when the vehicle is off I also have a video
Old 10-18-2019, 02:45 PM

E40p
Originally Posted by Mrcollazo
I took the car to a Mercedes-Benz dealership they have had the car for over a week I'm trying to call them everyday they keep giving me different excuses saying that waiting for Mercedes to check the vehicle out it's the speaker I smelled it my son got sick from the smell is anyone else having the same issue Mercedes-Benz needs to rectify this problem, speaker even crackles when the vehicle is off I also have a video
I believe it should be a class action lawsuit...
My dealer charging me 3k to fix.
Tried calling everyone in MB USA...customer care VP emailed..
Oy want yo pay 10 percent towards repair.
Total bull****
Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 PM

E40p
Originally Posted by Rakhchaw
I believe it should be a class action lawsuit...
My dealer charging me 3k to fix.
Tried calling everyone in MB USA...customer care VP emailed..
Oy want yo pay 10 percent towards repair.
Total bull****
But they will fix it sti in warranty...mine expired last year..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speakers Melting