E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Speakers Melting

Old 11-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Does your car have the Harmon Kardon setup?
Old 11-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
Originally Posted by jmel777
Does your car have the Harmon Kardon setup?
Yes it does.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350
I have exactly the same issue during a 82 degree day

Exactly the same issue. First the cracking noise from speaker when radio is OFF, then the smell. My gut feeing was that some mouse was trapped in and was burning down, which totally doesn't make sense. Then I read this thread and found people do suffer from the same issue.

Now since my car has low mileage, it's still under warranty.

The real problem is it's just a perfect 82 degree cool day. However, the dark brown interior and the sealed cabin heated it up to 100+. I can't imaging I need to open the window every day to avoid this issue. It's just 82 degrees outside in Pennsylvania. What about people in AZ or CA? It should be a re-call issue!
The following users liked this post:
Mrcollazo (10-18-2019)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 PM

2014 E-350
Originally Posted by Rtang1973
Exactly the same issue. First the cracking noise from speaker when radio is OFF, then the smell. My gut feeing was that some mouse was trapped in and was burning down, which totally doesn't make sense. Then I read this thread and found people do suffer from the same issue.

Now since my car has low mileage, it's still under warranty.

The real problem is it's just a perfect 82 degree cool day. However, the dark brown interior and the sealed cabin heated it up to 100+. I can't imaging I need to open the window every day to avoid this issue. It's just 82 degrees outside in Pennsylvania. What about people in AZ or CA? It should be a re-call issue!
Sorry to hear that! Well, you'll be happy to know that I'm in SE Texas and since my speakers were replaced I haven't had the issue again, and we've had scorching hot days. However, I am still scared - because every once in a while I get that smell in the cabin...so my suspicion is the glue is slowly melting around the cones...and someday in the future they'll melt enough to short the speakers again. Only this time I won't be so lucky with courtesy warranty coverage. So I'm praying there's a resolution someday w/ recall action...so we're all covered, regardless of mileage.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 PM

2014 E-350
I'm guessing if enough people have the problem and report to NHTSA a warranty will be possible...but until then we're at the peril of MBUSA.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 500; 2007 CLK 63 AMG; 2014 E350; 13 Porsche Boxster
Oh my gosh! So thankful of finding this, because I thought we was the only one. Our 2014 E350 started making popping sounding on the driver side door speaker during our way back from a trip from Florida to Texas. For 3 hours, my poor parents had to endure that popping sound. Not only that, but we was very lucky! The next day, my dad took the car for a wash and it started to smoke up a lot from the door and smelled awful. It was a huge amount of smoke coming out of the speaker. We have a little over 40k miles, so this is just unbelievable that this happened. Is this a defect? Our car is 2 months out of warranty unfortunately.
Crazy though that you also had a 2014 E350 with this problem. Otherwise, our car is just fine and we only had normal stuff happen like a battery change and damage tires from debris on the road. We plan on selling this car for good after it gets fixed, we just do not trust it anymore for travels.

Last edited by Skorp; 09-09-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
I mentioned this before, here it is again.

Every member experiencing this should request dealer file an “Information Only PTSS case” to be reviewed by MB confirmed on invoice with each speaker replacement repair. This is the absolutely the only way MB will take notice https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7229005
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
fosterelli (06-07-2018), rey_winslow (09-09-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 AM

2014 E-350
Originally Posted by Skorp
Oh my gosh! So thankful of finding this, because I thought we was the only one. Our 2014 E350 started making popping sounding on the driver side door speaker during our way back from a trip from Florida to Texas. For 3 hours, my poor parents had to endure that popping sound. Not only that, but we was very lucky! The next day, my dad took the car for a wash and it started to smoke up a lot from the door and smelled awful. It was a huge amount of smoke coming out of the speaker. We have a little over 40k miles, so this is just unbelievable that this happened. Is this a defect? Our car is 2 months out of warranty unfortunately.
Crazy though that you also had a 2014 E350 with this problem. Otherwise, our car is just fine and we only had normal stuff happen like a battery change and damage tires from debris on the road. We plan on selling this car for good after it gets fixed, we just do not trust it anymore for travels.
Glad you found this post too! Yes, at least two Texas cases of this on the forum, one in DFW and mine near Houston. Haven't had any problems since, thankfully. Your dealer should certainly have MB cover this - ours was way further out of warranty and we received approval.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by fosterelli
Glad you found this post too! Yes, at least two Texas cases of this on the forum, one in DFW and mine near Houston. Haven't had any problems since, thankfully. Your dealer should certainly have MB cover this - ours was way further out of warranty and we received approval.
Hello. Thanks for the response and letting me know about this issue is pretty nearby. After waiting for over 6 days, the dealer finally called me and told me they found the issue, a blown out "sound amp" and they have replaced with a brand new control unit. They said it is covered out of warranty out of nowhere, when at first they said I was going to have to pay it because, I was out of warranty. Pretty interesting; sounds like they really don't want to admit that this is a defective problem or something.

I am about to go pick it up. So, should I tell them to report this issue as "Information Only PTSS case" when I get there?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
I live in Texas and my speaker just did this 15 min ago so I came on the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. I think mine is the sub woofer. I started to smell that dreaded electronic burning smell then heard the same distortion sound from the rear as the video above. I pulled over and opened the trunk and the unit that houses the sub was smoking. Turned car off and it still continued so pulled all the fuses going to it and it stopped. Which dealership did you guys goto for the fix as I have a 2014 thats also out of warranty. Any info is appreciated!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Yikes. Hope this doesn't spread to Florida.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 PM

2014 E-350
My speakers were replaced at MB of The Woodlands. Several were replaced, even ones that did not exhibit problems...out of warranty. They had to get approval from MB, but it was no hassle on my end. Great dealership too. Although I can't wait to buy my next Benz at Sewell now that they have one in the Houston area...our Sewell experience with other vehicles has been tremendous (especially our Escalade).
Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by TTMerc
I live in Texas and my speaker just did this 15 min ago so I came on the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. I think mine is the sub woofer. I started to smell that dreaded electronic burning smell then heard the same distortion sound from the rear as the video above. I pulled over and opened the trunk and the unit that houses the sub was smoking. Turned car off and it still continued so pulled all the fuses going to it and it stopped. Which dealership did you guys goto for the fix as I have a 2014 thats also out of warranty. Any info is appreciated!
Sorry to hear you had this problem as well. This is definitely a defect that needs to be addressed. The place I went to was the Mercedes Benz megadealer in Plano, Texas. Didn't pay anything.

Did this happen to your CLS that you have pictured, or was it a E-class??
Old 10-11-2017, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I don't think I have this exact issue but something strange happened over the weekend. I got in the car while parked in the garage to connect a new phone to BT. The radio was on and the sound was fine at first. There was an issue with the phone so I did a hard reset on comand to resolve the BT connection issue. When comand rebooted, I could hear the radio play but in addition there was a popping/beeping sound coming from different speakers in the car. But when I hit mute or turned off comand, the sound went away. When I hit unmute or power on, the popping/beeping sound came back. I tried switching from rado to disc, ipod, etc. and this happened regardless of the source I was playing. There was no burning smell though. It was warm in the garage but it's not like the car was parked out in the sun. After two more hard resets, the sound went away and it has been normal for 3 days (knock on faded wood).

Since there was no smell and the sound only occurred when comand was on, I assume this is a HK amp issue with wiring or capacitors, not a speaker melting issue. Although I hope it doesn't come to that. Did anyone have this happen to them before the speakers melting?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch
I don't think I have this exact issue but something strange happened over the weekend. I got in the car while parked in the garage to connect a new phone to BT. The radio was on and the sound was fine at first. There was an issue with the phone so I did a hard reset on comand to resolve the BT connection issue. When comand rebooted, I could hear the radio play but in addition there was a popping/beeping sound coming from different speakers in the car. But when I hit mute or turned off comand, the sound went away. When I hit unmute or power on, the popping/beeping sound came back. I tried switching from rado to disc, ipod, etc. and this happened regardless of the source I was playing. There was no burning smell though. It was warm in the garage but it's not like the car was parked out in the sun. After two more hard resets, the sound went away and it has been normal for 3 days (knock on faded wood).

Since there was no smell and the sound only occurred when comand was on, I assume this is a HK amp issue with wiring or capacitors, not a speaker melting issue. Although I hope it doesn't come to that. Did anyone have this happen to them before the speakers melting?
It seems like that your problem is completely different and could be entirely a different issue. At least for me, the popping sound would be constant and always happening even with the speakers off and even when the car is off with key out and everything. It had nothing to do with the music or volume. However, after a few minutes it would die down for good after turning the car completely off. Otherwise, it was just absolutely constant.
The following users liked this post:
thefisch (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 PM

2014 E-350
Originally Posted by Skorp
It seems like that your problem is completely different and could be entirely a different issue. At least for me, the popping sound would be constant and always happening even with the speakers off and even when the car is off with key out and everything. It had nothing to do with the music or volume. However, after a few minutes it would die down for good after turning the car completely off. Otherwise, it was just absolutely constant.
Ditto, the delay power off once you shut the car off - the melting speakers would continue to smoke, make noise, and melt down until the power time-out a few minutes after shutting off the vehicle. Radio off, doesn't matter. Nothing helped except removing fuses and/or unplugging speakers.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
06 E350
That would've been my guess too...but these symptoms cause me to think otherwise:

1) they started melting before making any noise
2) even did so with the stereo turned off (and car off for that matter)
3) all problems happened independently over different days/weeks
4) only 3 speakers failed, we have 14 speakers
5) 100% on very hot days
6) they know of other speakers failing in a similar fashion (including another member of this forum, also in Texas)
7) MB covered this without even talking to me for more details (service writers didn't take much info from me) which tells me they already know...or there's even an internal bulletin about it
8) they replaced at least one that did not exhibit problems yet, leading me to think they have batch numbers to replace before it melts too

All of this makes my assumption that the adhesives holding the cones together became very liquid...which after several minutes of a fire smell, resulted in loud shorting/popping noises.

My ultimate guess is a bad batch of adhesive at Harman...or adhesives that cannot hold up to 100+F interior temperatures for extended periods of time...but I can't really tell you.

When I removed the door panel on the rear passenger during a meltdown you could literally see the center cone melting.
Crack your windows and put a shade in the windshield.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 PM

2014 E-350
Originally Posted by Shack1
Crack your windows and put a shade in the windshield.
How is that even an option for anyone? Let's see, it's a known MB problem, they fixed mine (and others) at no cost to me, outside of factory warranty...and we don't have to worry about rain, criminals, and God knows what else.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 PM

06 E350
How is that even an option for anyone? Let's see, it's a known MB problem, they fixed mine (and others) at no cost to me, outside of factory warranty...and we don't have to worry about rain, criminals, and God knows what else.
Then get a garage Geez I just paid out $5400 for replacing the balance shaft on my 06 E350 with 44700 miles
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 AM

2014 E-350
Then get a garage Geez I just paid out $5400 for replacing the balance shaft on my 06 E350 with 44700 miles
Umm, I have three garages. Doesn't help when I'm working or going places...which is what cars are for. Besides, it's fixed, so why dig up old threads to make pointless comments?

$5400, damn, that's gotta be half the value of the car!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 AM

06 E350
Umm, I have three garages. Doesn't help when I'm working or going places...which is what cars are for. Besides, it's fixed, so why dig up old threads to make pointless comments?

$5400, damn, that's gotta be half the value of the car!
Actually it would have been $6400 but I contacted MBUSA and got them to cover 15% and it was ether that or have a car I paid $30k worth about $1000 and I estimate the car is worth about $8000 so way more then half for the repair.

Sorry about the previous posts, but your issue seems a little less severe than mine.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 mercedes-Benz 2014
I just had the same speaker melting issue with my ( 2014 - E350 - 75K) , and took my car to MB of Plano after the white smoke came out from the the rear factory sub and the Strong smell burning started. Dealer found the issue and the cost is $1800 to fix the speaker and I had to reach out to MB USA (since My car is out of warranty)....they only offered to pay 10% of the cost and 10% from the dealer ... I am so upset and not happy with MB , this is should be covered by MB the luxury car manufacture while known brand ... since it is not a user issue... .... this should be happening from using a speaker in almost new 2014 ......Bad customer care.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:53 PM

06 E350
At least you can live without a subwoofer, try having the "Balance Shaft" issue at 44700 miles but out of the cut off time for the tiered settlement, $6400 that they covered 15% of Total out of pocket $5500!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:20 PM

2014 E-350
Originally Posted by moho
I just had the same speaker melting issue with my ( 2014 - E350 - 75K) , and took my car to MB of Plano after the white smoke came out from the the rear factory sub and the Strong smell burning started. Dealer found the issue and the cost is $1800 to fix the speaker and I had to reach out to MB USA (since My car is out of warranty)....they only offered to pay 10% of the cost and 10% from the dealer ... I am so upset and not happy with MB , this is should be covered by MB the luxury car manufacture while known brand ... since it is not a user issue... .... this should be happening from using a speaker in almost new 2014 ......Bad customer care.
Is that the same Plano dealership that is mentioned earlier in this thread? I can't look right now, but I'd make sure I talk to the same Plano dealership. And bring up that they fixed others outside of warranty, and The Woodlands, Texas did the same. Mercedes is approving some...should be approving all IMO. No way you should worry about something like this on a vehicle that isn't even 5 years old, regardless of mileage.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
At least you can live without a subwoofer, try having the "Balance Shaft" issue at 44700 miles but out of the cut off time for the tiered settlement, $6400 that they covered 15% of Total out of pocket $5500!
things like these MB should cover themselves... really upset that they trying to milk their customers as much as they can. For a luxury brand like MB.
The following 2 users liked this post by belarus27:
CaliBenzDriver (03-25-2021), Shack1 (07-30-2018)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speakers Melting