E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What is the difference between a 4matic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes
What is the difference between a 4matic?

I'm looking to get back into a benz. The car i'm looking at right now is a 2014 E350 4matic. I understand that the 4matic is a AWD as compare to the regular RWD. I live in so cal, so AWD will seem useless except for the fact that this one is in my budget. Can anyone tell me the benefit of a 4matic is there's any? Does this model (4matic) have any known problems? Should i stay away from it and just look for the RWD model? Would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
4Matic is Mercedes Benz's advanced all wheel drive, in which the power is split between all 4 wheels, when the car detects a slip in a wheel, it cuts power to that specific wheel and automatically brakes that same wheel and slowly releases the brake to get the wheel to spin in sync with the remaining 3 wheels. (This can be felt if you go drifting in snow, then while mid drift slam the brakes, it will be alot more stiffer because the on board computer is already applying the brakes the specific wheels *assuming traction control is on*)

To answer your question 4matic is ideal in snowy climates such as Canada for me. If you live somewhere where there is no snow, then by all means get a RWD as it will also help with being more fuel efficient. Another added benefit is you can buy tires in pairs since its single axle driven as for AWD/4WD vehicles its required to change all 4 wheels at the same time. If your getting a 2014 E350 thats RWD, you could get a 2012 e550 with the 4.7L TT engine in the same price category for that extra power if your interested.

To add alot of S classes in California are RWD.

Last edited by Lolxa; 04-22-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
The benefit of 4Matic is added traction for takeoff (i.e. if you're racing) and cornering.
Not many issues that I know of.

Personally, if I lived in CA, FL, TX, etc., then I wouldn't waste my money on a new 4Matic, but since it's used, you have no choice in the matter at this point.
If you see the car, and you like it otherwise (equip, options, cosmetic, mechanical)---then don't hesitate to purchase.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
4 WD is far from useless in southern or warm climates. Ever get caught driving in a torrential rain? I have many times and the 4matic system is nothing short of amazing and sure footed.
The following users liked this post:
JediJD (04-24-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
All the above are many factors that can influence whether or not you get a 4matic car. (You guys must have some insane raining season as most of the cars in Canada are summer cars that are rwd that people daily) I guess hydroplaning would be an issue if the lack of quality tires.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe

Jump to the 4 min mark and you'll get your short answer of AWD vs 2WD
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (03-04-2021)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
The thing with the 4matic is that it's a square setup so you can rotate the tires. With RWD, the rears are usually bigger than the front so you can't rotate them and you get half the life you're supposed to out of them.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
When it matters, you're going to want 4matic. Daily driving you won't notice anything, but if it literally gets slippery, 4matic is gonna be the way to go. I wish I had gotten a 4matic but there weren't any around when I was in the market.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by Flarearrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ln9tqU5Df0

Jump to the 4 min mark and you'll get your short answer of AWD vs 2WD
OMG is that guy annoying as hell.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
The thing with the 4matic is that it's a square setup so you can rotate the tires. With RWD, the rears are usually bigger than the front so you can't rotate them and you get half the life you're supposed to out of them.
Very true about tire rotations.
Also, I always notice a [percieved] power loss with AWD (in addition to the transfer case/differential actual power loss), when compared to RWD (especially in BMW). The rear drive vehicles seem to have much more thrust. Then there is the decrease in mpg with 4Matic. If I had to choose, I wouldn't ever get 4Matic, but I have just had them because the particular cars (loaded the way I want) came with it by default.

OP,
I would drive both and compare the aspects that matter to you most: do you care about traction/inclement weather? Do you care about gas mileage? Do you care about thrust/acceleration? If inclement weather driving is not a concern or priority for you, then save yourself some money (initially and over the ownership) and just get the RWD. It's a Mercedes...so you'll likely be happy either way.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM

mercedes
Thanks for all the input. Even though it doesnt rain much in so cal, when it does, it gets pretty bad for a short period of times, so having an AWD car will be fun for this and im excited to see how it handles in the rain. I think i might jump on it. I will be going to check out the car tomorrow. If all goes well, i'll be back in a benz.

Another question, i checked the carfax for this car and it was in a small rear end collision. I asked if the air bags deployed and the dealer said from what he knows, it didnt. Is this something i should be concern about?

link to the carfax:
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...HF8JB5EA972832

Last edited by iNDOLiFER; 04-22-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:18 PM

mercedes
Originally Posted by tresean1
Very true about tire rotations.
Also, I always notice a [percieved] power loss with AWD (in addition to the transfer case/differential actual power loss), when compared to RWD (especially in BMW). The rear drive vehicles seem to have much more thrust. Then there is the decrease in mpg with 4Matic. If I had to choose, I wouldn't ever get 4Matic, but I have just had them because the particular cars (loaded the way I want) came with it by default.

OP,
I would drive both and compare the aspects that matter to you most: do you care about traction/inclement weather? Do you care about gas mileage? Do you care about thrust/acceleration? If inclement weather driving is not a concern or priority for you, then save yourself some money (initially and over the ownership) and just get the RWD. It's a Mercedes...so you'll likely be happy either way.

I'm more about safety first than performance. I dont mind the slight difference in acceleration from a RWD and AWD. I care more about how the car drives and handles, not so much about speed and power. My main concern is reliability. Are both models pretty much the same except for the AWD/RWD or does the 4matic have more break downs issues compare to the RWD?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
It's the accident that is keeping the price at a discount. People do not like purchasing cars with a ding on the Carfax. The 4Matic is generally very reliable. When it has an issue it may involve a whole new transmission as the transfer case is an integral part of the transmission
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 PM

mercedes
Originally Posted by KEY08
It's the accident that is keeping the price at a discount. People do not like purchasing cars with a ding on the Carfax. The 4Matic is generally very reliable. When it has an issue it may involve a whole new transmission as the transfer case is an integral part of the transmission
I dont mind a small accident as long as there's no frame damage or anything major that will cause me more problems later down the line. I plan on keeping this car for a while so i'm really looking for something reliable.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by iNDOLiFER
Another question, i checked the carfax for this car and it was in a small rear end collision. I asked if the air bags deployed and the dealer said from what he knows, it didnt. Is this something i should be concern about?

link to the carfax:
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...HF8JB5EA972832
I'm more about safety first than performance. I dont mind the slight difference in acceleration from a RWD and AWD. I care more about how the car drives and handles, not so much about speed and power. My main concern is reliability. Are both models pretty much the same except for the AWD/RWD or does the 4matic have more break downs issues compare to the RWD?
If it was a rear collision, then more than likely you dont have to be concerned about airbags deploying. Where is this car being sold. Do you have a link to the listing on the dealership website? I can take a look at it and the carfax to see more about it
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

mercedes
If it was a rear collision, then more than likely you dont have to be concerned about airbags deploying. Where is this car being sold. Do you have a link to the listing on the dealership website? I can take a look at it and the carfax to see more about it
here is the link to the car, take a look at it when you get a chance and let me know if it's a good deal or not. Going to see the car tomorrow. Thanks.

http://www.roseautosale.com/2014-Mer...5/Details.aspx
Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
This car has remained unsold since it was auctioned shortly after the accident last fall. Something is not right here. Be sure to get it up on a lift and have it checked out by a very competent mechanic familiar with Mercedes cars. Good luck
Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 PM

here is the link to the car, take a look at it when you get a chance and let me know if it's a good deal or not. Going to see the car tomorrow. Thanks.

Wow, that is an amazing price for that car!!! I was almost beginning to get jealous because that's like $10k less than I paid...then I realized it had double the miles and no options except pano roof.

This is a base model Sport package vehicle, color is gorgeous though. It looks like this was a 2.5 yr lease. The accident happened almost a year ago. This car has 2k mi or 10 months of warranty left.

If you don't mind having MB-Tex upholstery, then I would jump on this quickly before warranty expires. Make sure it at the very least comes with two keys, mats, and manuals, and have Rose Auto Sales perform the 50k mile service for you. Then take it to MB dealership and get everything looked at or replaced under warranty in the next 2k mi.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350

That car looks so similar to my car ....lol.
The list mentions foglights as present. When you see the car, ask the salesman to demonstrate the foglights .
Goodluck with the new ride. It's an awesome car.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Wow, that is an amazing price for that car!!! I was almost beginning to get jealous because that's like $10k less than I paid...then I realized it had double the miles and no options except pano roof.

This is a base model Sport package vehicle, color is gorgeous though. It looks like this was a 2.5 yr lease. The accident happened almost a year ago. This car has 2k mi or 10 months of warranty left.

If you don't mind having MB-Tex upholstery, then I would jump on this quickly before warranty expires. Make sure it at the very least comes with two keys, mats, and manuals, and have Rose Auto Sales perform the 50k mile service for you. Then take it to MB dealership and get everything looked at or replaced under warranty in the next 2k mi.
Well it might qualify for an extended MB warranty where you can get up to a 7 year/100k warranty. You'd have to check the extended warranty subforum. Because an MB dealer owned it, you'd have to be careful that they didn't turn it into a CPO vehicle, then it wouldn't qualify for the extended warranty. You'd have to have the vendors check the VIN to make sure it qualifies. Because of the previous accident, it might not have qualified for CPO but I've heard of mistakes being made and minor ones being allowed.

But yeah, no keyless go, no lighting package, no distronics no power trunk closer, no parktronic, no folding rear seat, no active driver seat, so a pretty basic car. But then again probably 80-90% of them are like that.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by pamiboy
The list mentions foglights as present. When you see the car, ask the salesman to demonstrate the foglights
Haha that's messed up
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
But yeah, no keyless go, no lighting package, no distronics no power trunk closer, no parktronic, no folding rear seat, no active driver seat, so a pretty basic car. But then again probably 80-90% of them are like that.
Yeah this is a super basic car, and like you said...most E-classes are. I think people just jump and buy the first thing they find because the price is cheap, and just to say "I got a Mercedes"...not even knowing that a comparable Acura or Infiniti has more options than their car. New car Mercedes dealerships love this mentality!

Again iNDOLiFER,
If a price point is what you're chasing and you can live with a barebones car and you like the color, then by all means jump on it...!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Admittedly, I'm late to this party, and I respect everyone else's opionion but just to add my $.02...my wife and daughter may be driving the car, and although I live in Atlanta, we sometimes get heavy rains, slick roads and even the tiniest bit of snow and ice. I agree that 4Matic is probably overkill, but for me it is a safety feature and on the chance that it might actually be necessary, I wouldn't buy an E series without it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
Wish Mercedes had come up with a different name for this option rather than "4Matic."
It's not the coolest sounding term to describe four wheel drive IMHO.
"Quattro" and "AWD" seem to work better in terms of marketing.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
Wish Mercedes had come up with a different name for this option rather than "4Matic."
It's not the coolest sounding term to describe four wheel drive IMHO.
"Quattro" and "AWD" seem to work better in terms of marketing.
You mean just like how their tranny's are called 7Gtronic / 9Gtronic? =) How about magic air scarf, or agility control? =)

Merc had to differentiate themselves, somehow. And I guess they did it by giving names that sound like magic sauce.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between a 4matic?