E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Whoopsie...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes Benz E320 210
Whoopsie...

The car was purchased in late 2009 and is indeed a 2010 W212.

With no maintenance records, the high mileage, and asking price of $10,000 not to mention a CARFAX with mostly tire pressure checks on it, I counted (8), I'm going to pass on this one.

My mechanic is disappointed that I didn't purchase the car because he won't get to see me that often.

Below are the links that my mechanic sent me.

https://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/e-...condition=good

https://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/e-...condition=good

Any recommendations on a reliable MB? I would hate to get a rice burner but the Lexus I looked at today was pretty appealing.

All the Best!
Chuck
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
If you're from PST, try this website too.
http://www.blackbookportals.com/bb/p...owtradein=True

That is one stupid reason the dealer in East coast gave me, about using that tool when negotiating the price.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
that is indeed asking way too much, a lot of dealer asking like 3-4k over the book value. I always pass, because dealers are idiots thinking they are really worth that much selling than what actual book value.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
Maybe I missed something, but why isn't this car reliable? Is this for sale at an MB dealer? My guess is no based on what you linked for value, but that doesn't mean you can't ask a dealer for a VMI on it to see any maintenance done at an MB dealer.

In terms of price, again, if it's a private party asking $10k, why is that so bad? Can't you negotiate using tools like KBB and what not? The Black Book value is WAY over $10k, and the KBB links you sent are for a 2009, if you changed it to 2010 (sedan 4 matic standard options) the KBB private party value is $12k. When you sell something do you always offer the lowest price you will take to a buyer?

These are great cars, pretty uncommon, seem to be very reliable overall (W212's), and I don't think you've done enough homework to conclude this is a bad deal. If you are so focused on KBB, you are getting a deal as far as I can tell and you can even get it for a better deal if you negotiate.

I'm just trying to be helpful.....I have a 2013 and why I picked it was because it was super reliable, rare and a heck of a lot of fun!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT
Maybe I missed something, but why isn't this car reliable? Is this for sale at an MB dealer? My guess is no based on what you linked for value, but that doesn't mean you can't ask a dealer for a VMI on it to see any maintenance done at an MB dealer.

In terms of price, again, if it's a private party asking $10k, why is that so bad? Can't you negotiate using tools like KBB and what not? The Black Book value is WAY over $10k, and the KBB links you sent are for a 2009, if you changed it to 2010 (sedan 4 matic standard options) the KBB private party value is $12k. When you sell something do you always offer the lowest price you will take to a buyer?

These are great cars, pretty uncommon, seem to be very reliable overall (W212's), and I don't think you've done enough homework to conclude this is a bad deal. If you are so focused on KBB, you are getting a deal as far as I can tell and you can even get it for a better deal if you negotiate.

I'm just trying to be helpful.....I have a 2013 and why I picked it was because it was super reliable, rare and a heck of a lot of fun!
I agree with everything you said. As I mentioned in another thread, I recently sold my 2007 for around $10k, so if the OP is possibly getting a 2010 for around the same price, then that's a heck of a deal.

I can understand service history and "common problems" concerns, but I see a lot of posts, lately, where people are trying to buy MERCEDES vehicles (particularly E-class and above) for little to nothing and then asking about it being "overpriced"; if price is an issue, then maybe people should look at C-classes, or non-luxury brands in general. Don't go shopping for an Audemars Piquet if you don't have at least $10k; maybe you should look at Tag Heuers. Not trying to be mean or rude at all, just saying...

Last edited by tresean1; 06-22-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M