E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Replaced rear bags...still dropping overnight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Mine is lower as well. Slammed at the back, slightly lower at the front. Both pass. side.
will see the dealer and let you know if we can figure it out.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Mine is lower as well. Slammed at the back, slightly lower at the front. Both pass. side.
will see the dealer and let you know if we can figure it out.
Sounds good. When you bringing it in? Unfortunately when I took mine to the dealer they said the system was working properly with no leaks.
Recommended replacing airmatic block. Didn't do anything.

I'm going to guess pass rear height sensor. The weight of the rear being slammed is pulling down on the front suspension. Since the front and rear lines do not intersect anywhere but the airmatic block.

Last edited by scrowley; 07-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by scrowley
Sounds good. When you bringing it in? Unfortunately when I took mine to the dealer they said the system was working properly with no leaks.
Recommended replacing airmatic block. Didn't do anything.

I'm going to guess pass rear height sensor. The weight of the rear being slammed is pulling down on the front suspension. Since the front and rear lines do not intersect anywhere but the airmatic block.
Hopefully later this week or the next. My dealer said everything works perfectly, done geometry and everything is correct.
My front left is higher by 12mm, rear right lower by 4mm. When the car is off, rear right is slammed.
I'm going to visit a new service shop.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Hopefully later this week or the next. My dealer said everything works perfectly, done geometry and everything is correct.
My front left is higher by 12mm, rear right lower by 4mm. When the car is off, rear right is slammed.
I'm going to visit a new service shop.
did you line up a date for service yet?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Hi, yes, the next Monday. My problem might be of a different kind though, I found out the front left spring sits about 1/2" higher than it should. You can see the coil having different position than the right one. Not sure how did it happen and hopefully reassembly will fix it.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Well mine does something different every time.

few days ago it held air for a couple nights but lowered on pass front and rear a bit more.

Last night the rear slammed all way down.

new thing is when the car is locked. I walk up and hit unlock button and open any door or trunk. The airmatic valve block starts making all the electrical noises and the car raises to ride height all around. Without starting it.
Air compressor doesn't run at all when this happens. Even when I start it compressor doesn't turn on. Used to turn on every time. Even after the new block was installed. This has been for about a week with a handful of drives. I'm baffled. Thing has a mind if it's own.

Last edited by scrowley; 07-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:45 PM

Video

video of it raising when I unlock doors.

Last edited by scrowley; 07-21-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
How interesting is that. I've never seen such behaviour.

Usually the rear end lies down until you turn on the engine.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Really interesting

Looks like an electrical problem to me.
just to make sure.. that you havent installed or updated any softwares on your car recently?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by belarus27
Really interesting

Looks like an electrical problem to me.
just to make sure.. that you havent installed or updated any softwares on your car recently?
I haven't installed anything but new rear bags and airmatic valve block.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Well thinking about it ... the back drops but now the compressor never runs. It ran every time I started engine before.
I'm assuming the air from rear bags is being pushed back into the air tank resivour. Then I unlock car without starting and it pushes it back to bags.
Def. Not leaking out like before through the blow off on airmatic valve. You could hear it releasing before. Then compressor would run to refill the lost air.

Last edited by scrowley; 07-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
21 E63 Wagon
Yesterday I noticed some dropping in the rear of my wagon overnight. Started the car and pulled to the street and checked again and it was at normal height.

This morning, went into the garage and noticed the car once again lower in the rear and passenger side about .25 inch lower than the drivers side.

Thank god for a CPO warranty? My previous X5 was doing this and it wasn't cheap!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon
Yes. This is your issue. Replace the valve block and it should solve your problem. Sorry I didn't see this before you spent money to be told there's to leaks. Really easy to change
so it wasn't my problem.... are you a mercedes tech? Please see my attached video with info I wrote. Lmk what you think
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Attachments cover Airmatic details for future reference.
any new ideas for Me? Wasn't valve block. Please see my above posts with info and video. Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
2010 E550
When I bought my e550 2 months ago it would lower all the way in the rear if it sat for 3+ days. that turned into overnight. so I installed both new rear bags. well it still lowers all the way in the rear overnight!
I just sprayed down all lines and fitting in rear system. Including air tank in driver rear quarter. Twice. No leaks...
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7189181
So mercedes found no leaks or problem in system. They said in this case mercedes recommends replacing the airmatic valve block. This is part right behind rear bumper that has all air lines running to it. They said water in the system causes internals to malfunction. They would not give me a copy of all the work performed at mercedes on my car but let me look through all the details. Car had more flat tires than I've ever seen! Ha. On the other the car has had everything maintained very well up until I purchased I have 28k before any big service.
The car still slammed in the rear overnight! Wtf. to re cap it didn't do this when I bought it 3 months ago. It would after like 4 days.
I just put new Arnott rear bags in. They where installed when I brought it to the dealer too. just started it up and noticed pass side front and rear are noticeably lower. Measured 3/4" difference pass. To driver side. on sport and comfort settings. They have always measured the same.
Well mine does something different every time. few days ago it held air for a couple nights but lowered on pass front and rear a bit more. Last night the rear slammed all way down. new thing is when the car is locked. I walk up and hit unlock button and open any door or trunk. The airmatic valve block starts making all the electrical noises and the car raises to ride height all around. Without starting it. Air compressor doesn't run at all when this happens. Even when I start it compressor doesn't turn on. Used to turn on every time. Even after the new block was installed. This has been for about a week with a handful of drives.
I haven't installed anything but new rear bags and airmatic valve block.
Attached supportive bulletin to dealer’s suggestion, details concerning moisture “may” help. Sorry I do not have referenced jpg files. If you purchased from MB dealer and VIN is within range you “could” have argued for a goodwill claim because rear air springs were modified due to production defect covering entire repair – rear air springs, valve, moisture, etc. If MB revisited not sure how it will play out with Arnott replacements. Next cost effective exploratory DIY step, check compressor air filter. In addition, consider contacting Arnott support.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced rear bags...still dropping overnight-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI32.22-P-048597_Ver_10.pdf (44.0 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 07-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Well I disconnected the battery overnight to rule out an electrical issue....
the car still slammed in rear.
I'm going to try to replace rear air lines.
since I have new bags, new airmatic valve there is not much else to the rear system non electrical wise.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E550 2010
Rear slammed overnight

Well I disconnected the battery overnight to rule out an electrical issue....
the car still slammed in rear.
I'm going to try to replace rear air lines.
since I have new bags, new airmatic valve there is not much else to the rear system non electrical wise.
Hey, I have the same issues. I’m wondering if you ever solved it?
Old 09-07-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Braeden Poirier
Hey, I have the same issues. I’m wondering if you ever solved it?
never solved. Ended up selling.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I posted it in other threads.
The car doesn't have program who will pinpoint the leak, while technician working with computer want to solve the troubleshooting in couple of minutes, what is not enough to figure out overnight leak.
On my car with such system I installed Tee on air tubing and add pressure gauge on main line.
This way I could observe the pressure build and pressure drop at any time.
Point is that hardest part is to determinate internal or external leak and as above story shows - it can end in nightmare.
Simple gauge will do such determination on couple of checks.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-08-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 04:36 PM

My E550 looked AMAZING....nice custom mods. sleek black on black BUT with that issue and a handful of others I will never buy another Mercedes unless its sold before 50k miles. Nightmare...
GCWIGGYx7 (06-13-2022)
Old 09-07-2020, 05:42 PM

Mercedes Benz E550 2010
My E550 looked AMAZING....nice custom mods. sleek black on black BUT with that issue and a handful of others I will never buy another Mercedes unless its sold before 50k miles. Nightmare...
If you don’t mind me asking, what are some other annoying problems you’ve had? Trying to get an idea of what owning this thing will be like
Old 06-13-2022, 07:27 AM

Mercedes Benz E550 W211
Unhappy

I came across this thread and I was reading with great interest because I am experiencing the same issue with 2008 Mercedes E550 W211. I was hoping to get to something new I hadn't tried and finally resolve my issue. It ends at the sale of your car. Ugh! Where do I go from here?
Old 09-12-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 e550
If your car is dropping in the rear only overnight, you need to figure what connects both rear air struts to each other and go from there.
If it takes overnight to lose its air, it is a very slow leak, so sometimes soapy water may or may not work. Usually you can find the leak this way.
Most of the time it is in the air line "quick connect" fittings. They are great for manufacturing, but after awhile they become problematic.

I would look at all those quick connect fittings.

My suggestion is to find where both air lines are "connected" and trace back.
Luddyludwick (10-07-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
I found this thread through a search (I have a w221). I was having a rear only drop over night in cold weather, last year. During the Summer it was fine. My mechanic said everything was good, might be the rear struts starting to leak. Then it got cold this week and the rear slammed to the ground. When I got underneath I found that the rear height sensor clip had rusted and broken off. I zipped tied it back on the sway bar and the car has been fine for a few days now.
Luddyludwick (10-07-2022)