E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bi-Xenon headlight bulb turns off after few seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 E350, P2
Bi-Xenon headlight bulb turns off after few seconds

The driver side xenon bulb on my 2012 E350 with 53K turns off after about 5-10 seconds of powering on. Assuming the bulb may have been the culprit, I replaced them with a pair of brand new Osram D1S bulbs (both passenger and driver side). The outcome was not favorable! The driver side bulb did exactly the same. It turned off after few seconds. Swapped the bulb to passenger side and it worked fine. So the problem is not the bulb, it may be the headlight control module (aka ballast) which needs the entire headlight assembly taken out to replace.

Now I've learned that the control module needs coding/programming in order for the adaptive feature to work like active curve illumination and auto levelling. The process is called "scn coding" which can only be done through dealer or anyone with MB Star Diagnostics software/tools.

I don't have warranty. And reading through other people's experience, it seems like the stealership wants around $1200 for the job. I've found an indy in my area willing to swap the module for $150. Its a 2 hour job which requires the front grill to be removed also. The MSRP on the OEM Hella Control Unit is $580. Plenty of used ones floating for around $150-200 on eBay. I don't want risk it with a used one. I did find a someone selling brand new one for $170 online. But he stated that it does require coding through stealer.

What are my options now? I also see plenty of sellers selling aftermarket ones for $100 with 2 year warranty and also advertising "no coding or programming required.. Plug and Play.."

Do the aftermarket will work fine with all the adaptive features? Or shall I ask the stealer to just code it only after the Indy installs it? Or any one with MB software is Houston, TX area willing to help (willing to pay also) ? Any input and suggestion is highly appreciated..
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by zeemob
The driver side xenon bulb on my 2012 E350 with 53K turns off after about 5-10 seconds of powering on. Assuming the bulb may have been the culprit, I replaced them with a pair of brand new Osram D1S bulbs (both passenger and driver side). The outcome was not favorable! The driver side bulb did exactly the same. It turned off after few seconds. Swapped the bulb to passenger side and it worked fine. So the problem is not the bulb, it may be the headlight control module (aka ballast) which needs the entire headlight assembly taken out to replace.

Now I've learned that the control module needs coding/programming in order for the adaptive feature to work like active curve illumination and auto levelling. The process is called "scn coding" which can only be done through dealer or anyone with MB Star Diagnostics software/tools.

I don't have warranty. And reading through other people's experience, it seems like the stealership wants around $1200 for the job. I've found an indy in my area willing to swap the module for $150. Its a 2 hour job which requires the front grill to be removed also. The MSRP on the OEM Hella Control Unit is $580. Plenty of used ones floating for around $150-200 on eBay. I don't want risk it with a used one. I did find a someone selling brand new one for $170 online. But he stated that it does require coding through stealer.

What are my options now? I also see plenty of sellers selling aftermarket ones for $100 with 2 year warranty and also advertising "no coding or programming required.. Plug and Play.."

Do the aftermarket will work fine with all the adaptive features? Or shall I ask the stealer to just code it only after the Indy installs it? Or any one with MB software is Houston, TX area willing to help (willing to pay also) ? Any input and suggestion is highly appreciated..

Are you saying the coding job alone is $1200? For just the coding job seems very high.

If it includes the part, the job changing it and coding with calibration it may not be that bad as the calibration for it may not be done by the indy shop meaning you may have to return to the dealer with upped cost just for the calibration job.

Only cost you can possibly save here is the cost of the part and for something like this I would not go with a used part.

But that's just me...
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (04-13-2023)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM

2012 E350, P2
Originally Posted by Arrie
Are you saying the coding job alone is $1200? For just the coding job seems very high.

If it includes the part, the job changing it and coding with calibration it may not be that bad as the calibration for it may not be done by the indy shop meaning you may have to return to the dealer with upped cost just for the calibration job.

Only cost you can possibly save here is the cost of the part and for something like this I would not go with a used part.

But that's just me...

$1200 (estimated) is for the complete job which includes part + labor + scn coding. I don't know whether they'd just do the coding if the part is not purchased through them.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
E550
I had the same thing happen with another car (BMW) a few years back. It was the ballast.

Coding ? None for the BMW was required. It s just a ballast.

I purchased a new one online and saved a lot of money. I couldn't believe the price the dealer was asking for one.

If the same thing happened to me on this car, I'd do the same thing again and buy one online and drop it in myself.

IF there is any 'coding' required, I'd worry about it afterwards.

Last edited by - Mover -; 08-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.
zeemob (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts
2010 e550 p2
There was a thread about it.

but i would guess no coding will be needed 10-14 years
Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts
2010 e550 p2
And what MOVER said ^
Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Are you getting any error messages on the center cluster when the bulb goes out? What happens when you turn on the high beams before the low beam goes out? Any difference?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:48 PM

2012 E350, P2
Originally Posted by thefisch
Are you getting any error messages on the center cluster when the bulb goes out? What happens when you turn on the high beams before the low beam goes out? Any difference?

No error messages on instrument cluster. Bi-Xenon uses one single bulb both for the high and low beam. When I turn on the headlights, both ignite and turn on. But then after about 10 seconds, the driver side shut off while the passenger side stays on as normal. So the high and low beams both don't work afterwards for the driver.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:33 AM
Ped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
What happened next?

Hi

Originally Posted by zeemob
No error messages on instrument cluster. Bi-Xenon uses one single bulb both for the high and low beam. When I turn on the headlights, both ignite and turn on. But then after about 10 seconds, the driver side shut off while the passenger side stays on as normal. So the high and low beams both don't work afterwards for the driver.
hi! I am wondering what did you end up doing?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:16 AM

2012 E350, P2
Originally Posted by Ped
Hi

hi! I am wondering what did you end up doing?
I got this error after running a quick scan via Star Diagnostic:

E1n1 - Left xenon headlamp (XALWA-L)
"9033 The actuator motor for left light distribution has a malfunction"

I replaced the whole driver side headlight unit with a used one and the problem solved.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e class 550
new ballast new bulb

9033 is gone and light works
This was my first time doing the job took about 2.5 hrs bumper... make sure when installing ballast you line up and gently push from both sides of connectors
Old 05-29-2023, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e550 4matic, 89 944 turbo, 74 super beetle, 00 4runner 5sp
Originally Posted by gm01gm
9033 is gone and light works
This was my first time doing the job took about 2.5 hrs bumper... make sure when installing ballast you line up and gently push from both sides of connectors

did this fix your issue?

I just bought a 2011 e550 4m. My active high beam is unoperative and throws the e1n1 9033 code.

I don’t want to start with replacing the headlight assembly would rather start with bulbs then ballast. Did the bulbs and ballast fix your issue?