Main battery replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Main battery replacement

Last week I bit the bullet and had my battery replaced by the dealership while they did a "B" service. Had contacted auto parts stores and stores that sell & install batteries. None would touch an MB. Best was they would sell me a battery to do it myself or take an indy for installation.
The interesting thing though was that in 2013 when OE died, MB Roadside Assistance from the dealership replaced it and I paid $330 for battery as it was out of warranty by one week. N/C for the RA.
Last week the same dealership charged $129 labor to install the battery and $275 for the battery itself. Same type MB battery, etc. as before. Still has only a two year warranty.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I think Pepboys will install it but they charge for it. Probably easier if you had gone to an auto parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto in person and maybe you'll find someone there that wasn't afraid to install it. Maybe over the phone it's easier for them to say no. It's disappointing that the W212 batteries aren't lasting. I still have the original one in my W211 and that was pretty basic and straight forward to take out. Killed it once and I took it out to bring home and charge it up. There was nothing complicated about changing it, those places are just afraid.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I heard too many stories about those chain auto-services stripping oil plugs, connecting batteries in reverse and butchering so many jobs, that I would never risk taking my car to such place, unless it is emergency and they allow me watching over the shoulder (wchich they never like).
PepBoys sell Bosch batteries for about $100 and they come with 96 months warranty.
Coming to MB roadside assistance - it is free when you use stealers for service, so you don't pay the labor for battery replacement. You take the car to stealer - you have to pay labor.
As simple as that.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 387 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
When I tried at Advance, Autozone, and Pep Boys, none would assist with my car, even for a fee. I did it myself in a pep boys parking lot with their tools.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-04-2019)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Come'n on guys.
Battery replacement on W212 is way easier than changing the wheel.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Paid for a battery replacement from mb dealer. Died after 2 years and 5 days. Would not replace under warranty. Went to interstate ( not afraid to touch it) and had it replaced for $200 and it has a way better warranty. No programming needed.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The MB battery warranty is what suck. Is it still 24 months? That said, the older MB batteries did last. We had Spanish-made Varta lasting 13 years in our ML, while I read reports that in E class member had it for 17 years.
It is the AMG batteries pushed in last years that seem to die fast.
Strangely seem we do have reverse technology progress in batteries. For last 20 years my first choice was Costco with 100 month warranty. They not always had batteries that fit MB, but for truck and RV they had excelent choice.
Now Costco doesn't offer long warranties anymore.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kajtek1
The MB battery warranty is what suck. Is it still 24 months? That said, the older MB batteries did last. We had Spanish-made Varta lasting 13 years in our ML, while I read reports that in E class member had it for 17 years.
Strangely seem we do have reverse technology progress in batteries. For last 20 years my first choice was Costco with 100 month warranty. They not always had batteries that fit MB, but for truck and RV they had excelent choice.
I think what you're missing is that the newer cars have worse charging algorithms than older cars. People who have put new batteries in their W211 still have them last 6+ years, but people who have had new ones in their W212 have them die much sooner. The one in my W212 was already replaced when I got it but the one in my W211 is still original. It's well known that the car manufacturers have been cutting corners on charging the car batteries so that their CAFE numbers are better. BMW was so bad they were replacing car batteries without even telling customers when they came in for service. MB's standard warranty on parts is 24 months so I'm not surprised they only covered it 24 months. There were a few lawsuits regarding the pro-rated part of the battery warranty so the industry as a whole has gone away from them.

The problem with your logic is that cause and effect aren't always related. The fact that batteries die sooner doesn't mean that they're worse, the other reason could be the car manufacturers.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You theory doesn't match my experience.
W210 is the car that was reported with batteries lasting 17 years.
About 8 years ago I bought battery at Costco for mine W210 and even the battery had 100 months warranty, it died after 52 months. Costco returned me the prorated price, but battery lasting 50% its warranty is bad.
Soon after Costco stop giving 100 months warranty. Go figure.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Pep boys has a one day sale today(12/11/2017) for 35% off. I ordered a Bosch AGM group 48 battery for 129 plus tax. Going to pick it up tonight on the way home and install it at home. Should be pretty straightforward. I have one of those 12v booster batteries and will hook that up to the jump terminals that are just forward of the battery just in case.

They also have the slightly larger size as well for about 15 dollars more. I may just go with that one, as it's 850 cca vs 720 for the smaller size at 129 with discount.

Both batteries come with a 48 month free replacement warranty.

Youtube link to how to video:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...htu-aiVrTFRbkA
Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have seen too many sparks coming from booster cables, so if you go this route, make sure you know what you are doing.
I don't see any trouble with just disconnecting the power. Only reset needed is windows and sunroof, not sure about seat memory.
Those can be reset in seconds, while you driving. Why risk arching?
Are you sure it is AGM for $129? Sounds like great price.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM

I have seen too many sparks coming from booster cables, so if you go this route, make sure you know what you are doing.
I don't see any trouble with just disconnecting the power. Only reset needed is windows and sunroof, not sure about seat memory.
Those can be reset in seconds, while you driving. Why risk arching?
Are you sure it is AGM for $129? Sounds like great price.
Yes, it's AGM. Arcing should not be an issue, even with 12v. I've replaced lots of batteries over the years as well as jumped them, never had an issue with arcing or potential explosions. Jump connections are not even on the battery, but about a foot away. As for resetting the windows and sunroof, a while back I had a '98 c230 and had to do that and it was a pain. Hopefully its better on the newer models, but I I can avoid it, then why not.

This is the 850 battery, the 720 did not have an image, but it's also a Bosch:

Old 12-11-2017, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I kept the windows up and roof closed and all was fine. I only needed to set the time again for the clock IIRC. Easy peasy.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Ain't she pretty...

So I stopped on the way home to pick up the battery. I had ordered the cheaper of the two, and when it was brought to the counter, it looked significantly smaller than what I was expecting. Worse, the battery had a sticker that said shipped oct 2016. I told them I wasn't taking a battery over a year sitting on the shelf. It was the last they had but they did have one of the larger units available that was about 4 mos old. The store manager cancelled the original order and applied the discount to the new battery and gave it to me at the price of the smaller version or 130 plus tax plus core. Not bad for an AGM battery of this size.

Installation wasn't too bad, though it wasn't as easy as others I've done before. This is mostly because it is so far back in the corner and it is a very heavy battery. Maneuvering the old one out and the new one in has to be done leaning in, using mostly upper arm. Also, the positive and negative wires are relatively short and stiff, so you have to take steps to tuck them out of the way so they don't get trapped under the battery as you drop it back in. I had the jump battery connected to the positive and negative terminals, and I wrapped the positive terminal in a mechanics glove and then used a small bungee to pull it out of the way. Unfortunately, the negative clamp was knocked off pulling the old battery out, but there was no issue with the car loosing any settings at all.

Overall it's not a bad job, but plan on it taking about 30 mins and if at all possible, have an extra set of hands to maneuver the battery in and out. Use a 13mm for the one hold down clamp and 10mm for the two terminal nuts. When reinstalling the hold down, it helps to tape the bolt to the socket so you can slide it down. There is not enough room to get your fingers all the way down to position it. And don't forget to reconnect the clear plastic tube that vents the battery, it's easy to overlook.

PS. The battery that was in the car was from 2012, so it had lasted about 5 years and while it showed signs of being close to checking out, it was still turning the car over. But on several cold mornings recently it was quite a bit slower and this turned out to be a good day to get it done before it fully gave up the ghost.

Battery tender attached, dont attach the ground on the left, it won't stay there when the battery comes out

Battery tender

New battery in.

Last edited by aquinob; 12-11-2017 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I think what you're missing is that the newer cars have worse charging algorithms than older cars. People who have put new batteries in their W211 still have them last 6+ years, but people who have had new ones in their W212 have them die much sooner. The one in my W212 was already replaced when I got it but the one in my W211 is still original. It's well known that the car manufacturers have been cutting corners on charging the car batteries so that their CAFE numbers are better.
THIS! I'm on my 3rd set of batteries in my '15 E350 in 2 years. For comparison, my 2004 Infiniti M45 went through three batteries over the 10 years / 225k miles I had it.

After driving with a couple of voltmeters connected at various parts of the car, I'm shocked by how hard the car drives the batteries. It's constantly charging / discharging them while in operation. Huge voltage swings. I'm used the old Infiniti/Nissan way of doing things, where the alternator was always grinding away and would bulk charge the battery up to a certain voltage, then would float charge, while running all of the power loads off the alternator. Benz is the other way around, almost like High Intensity Interval Training. It'll run on battery as much as possible, then when the voltage gets low or on a long de-acceleration, the alternator kicks into high gear, charging the battery rapidly.

[Rant] I know it's in response to government regulations, but what's more environmentally-friendly, building cars which will last for 30+ years (W123 comes to mind) without major repairs, or building complex cars which are destined to the scrap heap in 10 years because they're too costly to repair and require constant feeding of toxic batteries to keep going? [/rant]
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by aquinob

Ain't she pretty...

So I stopped on the way home to pick up the battery. I had ordered the cheaper of the two, and when it was brought to the counter, it looked significantly smaller than what I was expecting. Worse, the battery had a sticker that said shipped oct 2016. I told them I wasn't taking a battery over a year sitting on the shelf. It was the last they had but they did have one of the larger units available that was about 4 mos old. The store manager cancelled the original order and applied the discount to the new battery and gave it to me at the price of the smaller version or 130 plus tax plus core. Not bad for an AGM battery of this size.

Installation wasn't too bad, though it wasn't as easy as others I've done before. This is mostly because it is so far back in the corner and it is a very heavy battery. Maneuvering the old one out and the new one in has to be done leaning in, using mostly upper arm. Also, the positive and negative wires are relatively short and stiff, so you have to take steps to tuck them out of the way so they don't get trapped under the battery as you drop it back in. I had the jump battery connected to the positive and negative terminals, and I wrapped the positive terminal in a mechanics glove and then used a small bungee to pull it out of the way. Unfortunately, the negative clamp was knocked off pulling the old battery out, but there was no issue with the car loosing any settings at all.

Overall it's not a bad job, but plan on it taking about 30 mins and if at all possible, have an extra set of hands to maneuver the battery in and out. Use a 13mm for the one hold down clamp and 10mm for the two terminal nuts. When reinstalling the hold down, it helps to tape the bolt to the socket so you can slide it down. There is not enough room to get your fingers all the way down to position it. And don't forget to reconnect the clear plastic tube that vents the battery, it's easy to overlook.

PS. The battery that was in the car was from 2012, so it had lasted about 5 years and while it showed signs of being close to checking out, it was still turning the car over. But on several cold mornings recently it was quite a bit slower and this turned out to be a good day to get it done before it fully gave up the ghost.

Battery tender attached, dont attach the ground on the left, it won't stay there when the battery comes out

Battery tender

New battery in.
Nice write up. Looks just like my Bosch replacement, only cleaner!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My main issue with MB battery is that it only carries a 24 month warranty. As well as the high cost. Not at all "The Best or Nothing" when everyone else has longer warranties.
The one I got in 2013 still read good this year per service dept, but last year had read weak and they charged it. Go figure. Anyway I had them replace it as do not want to be unable to start the car when temps really drop down and that is what happened in 2013.

As far ease of changing battery vs. changing wheel. I had to change a wheel a few years back. Now that was simple. Jack it up, take wheel off, put spare on. No worries about losing memory or doing some kind of damage to vehicle. I know everyone says that won't happen, but as I said before, no battery place would install a battery in an MB.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Just did a battery swap in my 63, it was an h7 that i took out and replaced, is this the same size of the non amg cars