E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
glk 350 -1981 280ce
Pdf

I put this in the wrong place last time, so I hope this help somebody out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AndroidScreen.pdf (815.0 KB, 356 views)
The following users liked this post:
Coldfact (04-15-2019)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Skeechan
Alllllright, what a nightmare, 8 hours so far. Turns out the bad crimp in the adapter wasn't the only problem. Whoever put the pins into the connectors put a few in backward so they wouldn't lock. I would plug it in and it would work, remove it plug it back in and it wouldn't. I was pulling my hair out until I grabbed my eye loupe and looked at the connectors. Flipped the pins and voila, most of the unit started to work. The bad connector assembly was the source of my audio problem.

So now it is hooked up correctly, so I think, but still several things are not working properly, both in hardware and software.

Hardware wise
Comand dial does not work in Android, I was under the impression that it is supposed to. I can use it through touch no problem, but that is a reach to get to the right side of the screen.
Auto switching to AUX never works. I have to switch to comand, change the input and exit. Lame.
Backup camera does not work. I get the yellow and green graphics lines and they respond to steering, but the actual image never appears. Did I miss a connector? Is there a connector only for the OEM backup camera, because I can switch to and use comand no problem.
GPS is dog slow at picking up signals. I have repositioned the GPS antenna several times but it is still really slow. It picks up 2 right away, but to get 3-6 or 3-7 takes forever. Once locked, navigation is speedy.

Software wise
My Android 7 unit is SUPER buggy. The apps that ship with it have problems, like my iGo app is missing some component so it won't start. Several store apps will install and run occasionally, but crash frequently. Waze for example, a very popular navi app for us in the USA, will sometimes crash at start, or will crash about 2 or 3 minutes into navigation. It is super annoying. Other apps are apparently not compatible. Netflix for example, the Google Play Store reports as incompatible so won't let you install. Apple Music will install but has problems, it will not let me log in. I press log in on the screen and the app reloads the same screen instead of presenting the enter your apple ID and PW screen. So, Apple Music is a fail. Some apps require the unit not be rooted or jailbroken, like my AT&T U-Verse app (I use it to listen to TV programming like news channels during my commute) reports it failed a security check and the most common reason is that you are trying to run it on a rooted phone. That is not a bug, just not compatible. So of the 3 apps I primarily bought this android unit for, 1 of them is crash happy and 2 don't work at all. Disappointing. But it looks great >_<

I am hoping this stuff can be fixed with OTA updates. I am also not happy about getting bad harnesses as it turned a 2 hour job into an all day job. People still on the fence and who want to use a lot of apps should probably wait on the V2 until some of these issues are resolved or workarounds discovered. I will talk to Chris, my seller, and see if he has any workarounds or ideas about how to get stuff like the backup camera working, comand dial working or get the unit to report that it is not rooted. I don't care about rooting, I just want store apps like AT&T U-verse to run.

I am really hoping I just ate too many Crayons and forgot a connector somewhere. Most of the video's including Chris' skip steps including some connections and without any instructions at all, you are left with open connectors wondering if something is supposed to be connected to them.

Lastly, I ended with an extra part, a loop back labeled A. I have no idea what it is supposed to be for and found no reference to it in any of the W212 assembly videos. Maybe it is the magic connector that makes the dial and backup camera work, but I have no idea where it goes.
I tested the V1 last month and it worked flawlessly. I'm waiting on a V2 replacement. Sorry, to hear of your troubles.
The 'A' loop connector is to terminate/loop the A connector when A/B connector is plugged into the 'B' connector. Can't comment on V2 my V1 arrived with 'A/B' connected to 'A' and the 'B' connector terminated with the 'B' loop connector freeing the 'A' loop connector.
I had no issues with the steering and command controls with this configuration on my 2015 GLA45.

Hope this helps and good luck with your install.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Thank god I didn't get this unit yet!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
The added instructions I received from Chris fixed my comand dial and AUX auto switching is now partially working. Oddly, it will switch from comand audio to AUX but takes about 20 seconds to do it. It will not back to comand. New problem cropped up today. When parked the unit will go to sleep and then is supposed to wake when the ignition is on but mine occasionally won't. I have to unplug the wide connector and actually re-boot. It has happened a few times so far. I did not see any physical buttons like a tablet or phone has to try and force it awake but when asleep touch doesn't wake it. It is like it didn't pick up the ignition turning on. Still some quirks, but Waze did not crash on my 30 minute commute this morning which is a good sign.

Chris is troubleshooting my odd AUX problem a bit more but that is it for my major issues. Now I am working on finding a way to get my unit to automatically connect to my iPhone. With my iPhone 8, I have to open the hotspot window before the screen will connect so this is manual every time I get into the car. Android phones are probably automatic but I am hunting a work around.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550
The added instructions I received from Chris fixed my comand dial and AUX auto switching is now partially working. Oddly, it will switch from comand audio to AUX but takes about 20 seconds to do it. It will not back to comand. New problem cropped up today. When parked the unit will go to sleep and then is supposed to wake when the ignition is on but mine occasionally won't. I have to unplug the wide connector and actually re-boot. It has happened a few times so far. I did not see any physical buttons like a tablet or phone has to try and force it awake but when asleep touch doesn't wake it. It is like it didn't pick up the ignition turning on. Still some quirks, but Waze did not crash on my 30 minute commute this morning which is a good sign.

Chris is troubleshooting my odd AUX problem a bit more but that is it for my major issues. Now I am working on finding a way to get my unit to automatically connect to my iPhone. With my iPhone 8, I have to open the hotspot window before the screen will connect so this is manual every time I get into the car. Android phones are probably automatic but I am hunting a work around.

are you talking about the Chris guy that's banned?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 PM

2011 W212
Yes
Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC X253
Originally Posted by djrabbi
Thank god I didn't get this unit yet!
Well if you need to hear another kind of story: my v2 cheaper model from AliXp works fine.
GPS works, WiFi works, the screen and touch response is great, the interface is smooth. Audio comes in stereo, using the RCA to USB adapter that adds an AUX entry (NTG5 cars like my GLC don't have an AUX behind the factory radio unit).

The only thing I'd like to improve is the GPS detection time. Does anyone know if the v2 units can be rooted? I'd love to give 'faster gps' a try (to use a more local GPS ntp server).
The following users liked this post:
etian (08-24-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212 300 CDI Bluetec Kombi
Dashcam mit DVR anschliessen

Hallo zusammen bin neu hier.
ich habe einen s212 bauj 2014 mit NTG4.7 und das Display mit Android 5 11 installiert.
Nun möchte ich gerne die Dashcam mit gelben cinch Stecker am Display anschliessen.
kann mir jemand sagen an welchen Anschluss ich einstecken muß?
welche App funktioniert damit?
hat jemand Erfahrung damit gemacht?
Gruß Kampi
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM

GLC X253
Originally Posted by Kampi
Hallo zusammen bin neu hier.
ich habe einen s212 bauj 2014 mit NTG4.7 und das Display mit Android 5 11 installiert.
Nun möchte ich gerne die Dashcam mit gelben cinch Stecker am Display anschliessen.
kann mir jemand sagen an welchen Anschluss ich einstecken muß?
welche App funktioniert damit?
hat jemand Erfahrung damit gemacht?
Gruß Kampi
1) I think you want to use the yellow video connector and the unconnected power cables on the smallest harness behind your screen.
2) The screen switches to the reverse camera automatically when you switch your gearbox to reverse.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:19 AM

Die Dashcam ist eine Frontkamera in der Windschutzscheibe.
Die Rückfahrkamera ist original und funktioniert.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by Sly_North
Does anyone know if the v2 units can be rooted?
My V2 unit may already be rooted as my AT&T U-Verse app fails the security check and the vast majority of the time it is because it detects the device is rooted.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 AM

Das ist mein Display

Last edited by Kampi; 08-03-2018 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Dashcam
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550, BMW 550
Originally Posted by Kampi
Das ist mein Display
Wo hast du die Dashcam bekommen? Ist es Fabrik?
Ich spreche nicht Gertman, ich benutze Google Translate
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Die Dashcam ist aus China.
Top Qualität

Shenzhen E-future Electronic Technology Development Co., Limited
über Alibaba*

Last edited by Kampi; 08-03-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550
Well if you need to hear another kind of story: my v2 cheaper model from AliXp works fine.
GPS works, WiFi works, the screen and touch response is great, the interface is smooth. Audio comes in stereo, using the RCA to USB adapter that adds an AUX entry (NTG5 cars like my GLC don't have an AUX behind the factory radio unit).

The only thing I'd like to improve is the GPS detection time. Does anyone know if the v2 units can be rooted? I'd love to give 'faster gps' a try (to use a more local GPS ntp server).

pm me the link u purchased at?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM

GLC X253
Originally Posted by Nicolas Farinas
I already posted that link 2 pages ago.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM

CLS550, BMW 550
Originally Posted by Nicolas Farinas
All depends on your car, you would still need the bracket. In my case I have a 14 CLS, can't do it without the bracket and it seems only Chris have the bracket for a CLS.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:17 AM

2015 C300 Sport
I already posted that link 2 pages ago.
My question is, is yours running the same software as the carlife mall one. Carlife seems to be taking suggestion from Chris to fix things. If yours has Farenheit and MPH, that might be an indicator that it is the same software, but it's not conclusive.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Rentals
Regarding the gps delay, could someone do me a favor and try something out of curiosity? Take the gps antenna and attach a steel backing plate to it (is the antenna magnetic?), approximately 3” by 6” in size. It doesn’t have to be that size exactly- as long as it is larger than the antenna and fits within the confines of its intended location it will be fine. I’d like to know if this improves the delay issue.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 PM

GLC X253
Originally Posted by ItchyTasty
My question is, is yours running the same software as the carlife mall one. Carlife seems to be taking suggestion from Chris to fix things. If yours has Farenheit and MPH, that might be an indicator that it is the same software, but it's not conclusive.
It looks the same yes. With mph and F°
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by Nealgobert
Regarding the gps delay, could someone do me a favor and try something out of curiosity? Take the gps antenna and attach a steel backing plate to it (is the antenna magnetic?), approximately 3” by 6” in size. It doesn’t have to be that size exactly- as long as it is larger than the antenna and fits within the confines of its intended location it will be fine. I’d like to know if this improves the delay issue.
I have a V2 and after putting it face up (tape down behind the the screen under the dash, I don't have delays. I made sure my wires were bundles and that my wifi antennas were not flopping around and getting in the way. I think before I was having issues because I did not have everything secure while I was testing my setup and my wifi antennas or wires were ending up on top of the GPS antenna.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM

GLC X253
I have a V2 and after putting it face up (tape down behind the the screen under the dash, I don't have delays. [...]
Interesting! So when you switch on the tablet you get a GPS lock in what? A few seconds?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM

2011 W212
So from the time the car starts, screen wakes, seatbelt on and all that and then I make it to my app that would use GPS, like Waze, it is already 20 seconds or so and by then I have 4 or 5 birds locked. When I was specifically messing with antenna placement, I would turn on the car, wake the screen, go straight to GPS test and it would already have 3 birds locked with additional ones locking every 5 seconds or so. But this was after messing quite a bit with antenna position. The top of the dash may have metal in it.

For antenna placement I took the mount off and left the screen in a spot I could see it (running GPS test) and then moved the antenna around until I got great signal...then stuck it down). Then when putting all the wires and wifi stuff back in I made sure they didn't end up on top of the antenna (using a stick and flashlight after the mount piece was back on). If I don't pay attention, the wires and hardness ALWAYS ended up on top of the GPS antenna or pushed the antenna around into a spot where signal turned to garbage.

Since sticking the antenna down and making sure the wires were out of the way, I have had no problems at all with GPS. For me, the problem with navigation now is waiting for my Internet connection. My tablet is a bit slow connecting to my iPhone's hot spot. Waze will show my location right away, but says waiting on network or something like that as the tablet is getting connected to the Interwebz.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:05 PM

GLC X253
That is excellent news! My GPS antenna is just thrown behind the screen with all cables, not stuck in place. I've to work on cleaning that...
Old 08-03-2018, 03:20 PM

2011 W212
Worth a try, no $$$ and doesn't require ripping the entire dash apart.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed