E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I can't get voice directions on google offline maps.
I noticed many had this problem with iPhones and the trick is for those to press volume while directions are first spoken.
I'm trying to find the thing that would apply here.
Also the SIM card port is for micro and an iPhone has a nano SIM card so an adapter is needed.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E63 AMG
Anyone else have a strange acting "auto switching" method for the AUX input? I switch from NTG to the home screen and it switches to AUX. When I play music on the home screen, it auto switches back to NTG! So you can't play music on the main screen. You see the music being played on the android screen, but the sound is from the NTG unit!

So I have turned off auto switching for the moment.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:54 PM

2014 E63 AMG
Got the Apple CarPlay to work. Navigation and phone work fine.

Apple Music and Napster work. Tidal and the Siriusxm app do not for some reason. More experimenting to go.

Scott
Old 06-20-2020, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I bought torque pro and installed, looking into a OBD2 sender.
But my question is:
What can torque pro do for me? Speed, RPM and coolant temperature, that's a joke, I already have these.
I tried to install carly, didn't work.
I still don't have voice on my Google offline navigation map and noticed that Waze does show a map in offline mode, but does not allow for navigation, and it seems that it too doesn't have voice.

I will probably open up my installation again, to better place the GPS antenna and to switch my OEM reverse camera installation, to direct connection to the Android.

The DMP dash cam looks nice and well integrated. Also, you get to view footage in the Android unit.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
My 10.25 Install Notes w212 E550

Hello all. I thought I would add my thoughts on my debacle of a head unit install. I am not a novice to these installs having done BMW, Porsche, and Ford F-150 before so figured no problem (hahaha). I bought a MEKEDE 10.25 direct from Alibaba (mistake one). I went for this model primarily because it had wireless CarPlay built in (Android 10 - I guess) and had not gone through the 60 pages of this thread before. So box arrives in about a week (could not believe how quick) so off to a good start. Then I open and zero instructions. As a backdrop I have a 2010 w212 E550 with NGT 4.0. There is no AUX port in the car. I will hit the highlights of what I ran into over the course of a few days to get this to work and a big thank you to all of you who shared your tips here an in other forums. I would never have gotten this to work without you:

1. Zero support from Manufacturer. They do answer WhatsApp and AliExpress messages but the only information I got were product page links with embedded install steps that skip everything from pulling the COMAND unit to putting it all back together. These pictures have inconsistent wiring harness pictures even for the same version of NGT
2. You MUST take the fiber optic plug from the OEM (big square) harness and move it to the supplied harness that comes with the head unit that will now connect into your COMAND module. Failed to do this and lost all sound and my Sat Radio. Throws a bunch of error code in Engineering Menus (open ring, open speaker, etc.).
3. You have to figure out what setting to get the resolution for the OEM screen right and to get to it I had to get a “factory” code for the radio from MEKEDE. I was able to get this from them over WhatsApp. In my case it was 1314.
4. Since I have no Audio AUX you have to get into the engineering menu and trick the car into thinking it has it. This is how the Wireless CarPlay works (harness has a black box with male and female AUX connected). To do this (info from UK MB Owners Forum):

Enter engineering menu ('Hang-up'+1+Hash/pound)
In HU parameter you will see greyed out Audio AUX option
Go up a menu then select TGW parameters
Turn off MOST
Key off
5 seconds
Key on
Enter engineering menu ('Hang-up'+1+Hash/pound) again
Select TGW parameters
Turn on MOST
Key off and done.

In my case I had to go back into TGW parameters and turn external amp on (I have HK system) and also had to re-enable SAT Radio. After reset everything works perfectly.

5. You are going to have two harness connections to your OEM screen. One with the metal L goes into CANBUS box; the other one is no longer used.

I did not install the cheap speaker or mic that I think are needed for Android phones. I also didn’t bother routing USBs into glove box (I may go back at some point and do that one).

Thanks again to everyone for making this site a great resource!!

NTG 4.0 system; this can be configured to stretch and use the entire screen but I didn't care for the odd resolution. Haven't done any research yet to see if you can use the extra space on the right.

Pressing NTG Menu from main screen takes you to OEM COMAND system.

Android Apps screen view

Wireless Apple CarPlay!!

Last edited by bulldogge01; 06-30-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Adding pictures...
The following users liked this post:
E63_SauceGod (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 E63 AMG-S
Originally Posted by bulldogge01
Hello all. I thought I would add my thoughts on my debacle of a head unit install. I am not a novice to these installs having done BMW, Porsche and Ford F-150 before so figured no problem (hahaha). I bought a MEKEDE 10.25 direct from Alibaba (mistake one). I went of this primarily because it had wireless CarPlay built in (Android 10 - I guess) and had not gone through the 60 pages of this thread before. So box arrives in about a week (could not believe how quick) so off to a good start. Then I open and zero instructions. As a backdrop I have a 2010 w212 E550 with NGT 4.0. There is no AUX port in the car. I will hit the highlights of what I ran into over the course of a few days to get this to work and a big thank you to all of you who shared your tips here an in other forums. I would never have gotten this to work without you:

1. Zero support from Manufacturer. They do answer WhatsApp and AliExpress messages but the only information I got were product page links with install steps that skip everything from pulling the COMAND unit to putting it all back together. These pictures have inconsistent wiring harness pictures even for the same version of NGT
2. You MUST take the fiber optic plug from the OEM (big square) harness and move it to the supplied harness that comes with the head unit that will now connect into your COMAND module. Failed to do this and lost all sound and my Sat Radio. Throws a bunch of error code in Engineering Menus (open ring, open speaker, etc.).
3. You have to figure out what setting to get the resolution for the OEM screen right and to get to it I had to get a “factory” code for the radio from MEKEDE. I was able to get this. In my case it was 1314.
4. Since I have no Audio AUX you have to get into the engineering menu and trick the car into thinking it has it. This is how the Wireless CarPlay works (harness has a black box with male and female AUX connected). To do this for UK MB Owners Forum:

Enter engineering menu ('Hang-up'+1+Hash/pound)
In HU parameter you will see greyed out Audio AUX option
Go up a menu then select TGW parameters
Turn off MOST
Key off
5 seconds
Key on
Enter engineering menu ('Hang-up'+1+Hash/pound) again
Select TGW parameters
Turn on MOST
Key off and done.

In my case I had to go back into TWG parameters and turn external amp on (I have HK system) and also had to re-enable SAT Radio. After reset everything works perfectly.

5. You are going to have two harness connections to your OEM screen. One with the metal L goes into CANBUS box; the other one is no longer used.

I did not install the cheap speaker or mic that I think are needed for Android phones. I also didn’t bother routing USBs into glove box (I may go back at some point and do that one).

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating buying one of these.
Knowing everything you do now would you buy that model again?
Also.... Given your first hand experience... How much would you pay someone to do this install?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM

2010 E550
A bit more information; I got the N600 (Android 10.0, 8 cores 4GB+64GB,10.25inch Seven colors anti-glare screen,Resolution 1920*720. Built in carplay CPU=MSM8953 Snapdragon625).

Yes I would buy it again, but I kind of enjoy these types of challenges. On the other hand if I had bricked my COMAND or trashed my fiber ring that would be another story. Screen is very nice, UI is really good, steering wheel buttons and control knob all work, and wireless CarPlay works great. I have no idea what shops charge these days and I would not have anyone do it did not have experience working on MB/Android. Knowing everything now I probably could have knocked the whole thing out start to finish in less than 90 minutes. A comprehensive install (putting USBs in glove box, installing Android phone speaker and mic, etc.) would probably take another hour of two. I put my 4G and GPS antennas on a little ledge right where the screen came out and they seem to be working just fine there. I have seen other install videos where they ran these up the front interior pillars.
E63_SauceGod (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 PM

2014 E63 AMG

I have iPhone, but did not realize that android needed an external mic and/or speaker. Interesting. Without instructions, I am not sure how you would have figured that out!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:33 PM

2015 E63 AMG-S
A bit more information; I got the N600 (Android 10.0, 8 cores 4GB+64GB,10.25inch Seven colors anti-glare screen,Resolution 1920*720. Built in carplay CPU=MSM8953 Snapdragon625).

Yes I would buy it again, but I kind of enjoy these types of challenges. On the other hand if I had bricked my COMAND or trashed my fiber ring that would be another story. Screen is very nice, UI is really good, steering wheel buttons and control knob all work, and wireless CarPlay works great. I have no idea what shops charge these days and I would not have anyone do it did not have experience working on MB/Android. Knowing everything now I probably could have knocked the whole thing out start to finish in less than 90 minutes. A comprehensive install (putting USBs in glove box, installing Android phone speaker and mic, etc.) would probably take another hour of two. I put my 4G and GPS antennas on a little ledge right where the screen came out and they seem to be working just fine there. I have seen other install videos where they ran these up the front interior pillars.
Thanks for info. Yeah I feel you on enjoying the challenge. Totally dig where your coming from. I'm just not very patient with wires and little cramped spaces lol have you posted any final pics? Would love to see finished install. There's only one thing I really want to change on my W212 and it's that little *** screen!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:08 AM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by E63_SauceGod
Thanks for info. Yeah I feel you on enjoying the challenge. Totally dig where your coming from. I'm just not very patient with wires and little cramped spaces lol have you posted any final pics? Would love to see finished install. There's only one thing I really want to change on my W212 and it's that little *** screen!
It is actually not that cramped in there. Tons of room behind OEM screen and there is room under the COMAND head unit. You just have to have your hand back there while sliding it back in and it may take a few attempts. Good luck! Adding pictures to original post...

Last edited by bulldogge01; 06-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.
E63_SauceGod (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe Designo Edition, 2012 E350 Coupe, 2014 C63, 2018 GLC 300
Okay, so I have a 2013 E550 Coupe. W207. Bought the 10.25 Android 10 from 4x4Shop Canada. I cannot for the life of me get the head unit to slide back into place. I'm guessing it is the massive quad connector. I have been fooling with it all day and it wont slide in. I've tried putting it on the very bottom but it moves as soon as you go to put the unit back in. Tried to tape it to the bottom, but tape wouldn't stick. The unit gets close to being in place, but just won't push in far enough. Please help.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 AM

2010 E550
I think if you pull the glove box out you will be able to see what is blocking and have room to get your hand in to deal with it. I think is is something like 10 screws that hold it in.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe Designo Edition, 2012 E350 Coupe, 2014 C63, 2018 GLC 300
I think if you pull the glove box out you will be able to see what is blocking and have room to get your hand in to deal with it. I think is is something like 10 screws that hold it in.
thank you. I’ll try it and see what happens.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
Happy with my purchase. Unit arrived within a week and was not too difficult to install after watching some tutorials on yt even for a novice who has very limited experience with this sort of thing. Vendor I purchased from have their own channel with install videos that cover the basics and will get your unit up and running. Putting the NTG unit back in place was a little tricky like others have mentioned but with some patience and messing about it can be done. I routed the interface unit (AUX) thru the center console and USB plugs to passenger footwell instead of into the glovebox (to avoid having to remove glovebox) and it looks very clean IMO.

My favorite upgrade on the W212 to date and well worth the $$.
E63_SauceGod (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:03 PM

2015 E63 AMG-S
Originally Posted by Crna Mechka
Happy with my purchase. Unit arrived within a week and was not too difficult to install after watching some tutorials on yt even for a novice who has very limited experience with this sort of thing. Vendor I purchased from have their own channel with install videos that cover the basics and will get your unit up and running. Putting the NTG unit back in place was a little tricky like others have mentioned but with some patience and messing about it can be done. I routed the interface unit (AUX) thru the center console and USB plugs to passenger footwell instead of into the glovebox (to avoid having to remove glovebox) and it looks very clean IMO.

My favorite upgrade on the W212 to date and well worth the $$.
dang, you guys are making me really want to pull the trigger and do this upgrade. Freakin hate this small *** screen may I ask where you got your from? Did you need to put a sim card in the unit to get wireless? Thanks
Old 07-17-2020, 12:31 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by E63_SauceGod
dang, you guys are making me really want to pull the trigger and do this upgrade. Freakin hate this small *** screen may I ask where you got your from? Did you need to put a sim card in the unit to get wireless? Thanks
I got mine from DKM Car Design. Mobile hotspot thru cell phone works almost flawlessly when internet connectivity is in question. The only gripe is that I have to manually switch on wifi on the unit every time the unit is powered on but that's just a press of a button. The unit does have a SIM card slot if you want to go that route but t's not necessary if you have mobile hotspot and unlimited data thru your mobile carrier.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I was going to test the SIM card slot and maybe even get a card with monthly billing.
There are a few problems
1. The slot is for a micro SIM card. These days providers use for smart phones nano SIM cards.
2. For the nano SIM cards, there are adapters to convert them into micro. The adapter however is not designed for this type of SIM card slot.
The type of slot this Android has is press once to insert, press agin to eject. This type can grab onto the adapter and never allow it to ever eject again.
3. For this unit, the slot cut into the plastic housing of the unit for the SIM card, is not 100% aligned with the SIM card mechanism. So even at best, the card will have trouble ejecting, because it will rub against the plastic
4. Once I had my adapter, took the sim card from my iPhone and inserted it into the micro adapter and went to slide it in.
It became so obvious that I will never see my cellular SIM card again once it's clicked into the slot all the way (unless I take apart the outer android housing and void my warranty) that I pressed it in halfheartedly.
It didn't seem to work, the unit did not register having a SIM card.

Also, when I spoke to AT&T, they told me that the days of renting a data only SIM card from them are over, that they have "other things" now.

To me, yes everything is possible with this unit, you can tether to the phone hotspot. But:

In unlimited data plans the hotspot usage is limited.

And it's all bout the factory feel. Turn the ignition key on and start driving with the internet running, not having to spend first 2 minutes and get the unit to tether to your phone. Not to mention that tethering to an iphone a hotspot is not a snappy, immediate response.
I am having to reboot the iPhone before the tethering can securely happen.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Vladds
I was going to test the SIM card slot and maybe even get a card with monthly billing.
There are a few problems
1. The slot is for a micro SIM card. These days providers use for smart phones nano SIM cards.
2. For the nano SIM cards, there are adapters to convert them into micro. The adapter however is not designed for this type of SIM card slot.
The type of slot this Android has is press once to insert, press agin to eject. This type can grab onto the adapter and never allow it to ever eject again.
3. For this unit, the slot cut into the plastic housing of the unit for the SIM card, is not 100% aligned with the SIM card mechanism. So even at best, the card will have trouble ejecting, because it will rub against the plastic
4. Once I had my adapter, took the sim card from my iPhone and inserted it into the micro adapter and went to slide it in.
It became so obvious that I will never see my cellular SIM card again once it's clicked into the slot all the way (unless I take apart the outer android housing and void my warranty) that I pressed it in halfheartedly.
It didn't seem to work, the unit did not register having a SIM card.

Also, when I spoke to AT&T, they told me that the days of renting a data only SIM card from them are over, that they have "other things" now.

To me, yes everything is possible with this unit, you can tether to the phone hotspot. But:

In unlimited data plans the hotspot usage is limited.

And it's all bout the factory feel. Turn the ignition key on and start driving with the internet running, not having to spend first 2 minutes and get the unit to tether to your phone. Not to mention that tethering to an iphone a hotspot is not a snappy, immediate response.
I am having to reboot the iPhone before the tethering can securely happen.
here's what I did -- although I am on an Android device, so not sure if the same or similar app exists for iOS.

I wrote an automated script in an app called MacroDroid, that does the following: When my phone connects to MB-Bluetooth, the Mobile Hotspot is turned on. The screen the picks up the wifi coming from my phone and voila. I am also on T-Mobile and have unlimited tethering data (at full LTE speed). I don't stream movies or anything on the screen (and all those apps just put unnecessary load on the screen and cause a lot of the problems people post around here). When I turn the car off and the Bluetooth disconnects from MB-Bluetooth, the script then turns off the Mobile Hotspot.

Doesn't get more seamless than that IMHO.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I have an intermittent issue which is getting worse over time with mine. If anyone knows how to solve it that would be great and save me trying to diagnose a solution.

When I switch on the ignition the unit fires up fine. If I then turn the key to start the car the screen goes blank and sometimes it comes back on, other times it doesn't. Its getting more often it doesn't now. The unit is still up and running, its just the display not coming back on.

Had seen some posts a while ago where people had similar, and removing the black switch box in the loom fixed it for them. I have done this and still have the issue. If I pull the power from the screen and plug it back in it will come on, also if I leave it for a while with the ignition off it will then start up ok. Just turning the ignition on and off does not work.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 AM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by we47b1me
here's what I did -- although I am on an Android device, so not sure if the same or similar app exists for iOS.

I wrote an automated script in an app called MacroDroid, that does the following: When my phone connects to MB-Bluetooth, the Mobile Hotspot is turned on. The screen the picks up the wifi coming from my phone and voila. I am also on T-Mobile and have unlimited tethering data (at full LTE speed). I don't stream movies or anything on the screen (and all those apps just put unnecessary load on the screen and cause a lot of the problems people post around here). When I turn the car off and the Bluetooth disconnects from MB-Bluetooth, the script then turns off the Mobile Hotspot.

Doesn't get more seamless than that IMHO.
I'm on Android myself. Would that script work for me without any major changes to the code? Not a programmer but savvy enough to find what works and what doesn't in most cases. Please PM if you are willing to share. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by Crna Mechka
I'm on Android myself. Would that script work for me without any major changes to the code? Not a programmer but savvy enough to find what works and what doesn't in most cases. Please PM if you are willing to share. Thanks.
what do you mean "major changes to the code"? No code is being changed. It's an automation app.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM

12 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by we47b1me
what do you mean "major changes to the code"? No code is being changed. It's an automation app.
I should have opened MacroDroid before commenting. My mistake. It all makes sense now. Great share and thank you.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K BE

NTG 4.0 system; this can be configured to stretch and use the entire screen but I didn't care for the odd resolution. Haven't done any research yet to see if you can use the extra space on the right.
For user with NTG 4.0, any way to take advantage of the extra space on the right?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S212 E63 AMG
Does anyone know of a shop in the LA/Southern California area that could do this install?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes w213 E43
nice set up! But I really want to know where you got your front bumper lip? Looks Great

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed